ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Real talk on Quinn and Sark)

@Ketchum what is Sark thinking when he pulls out the Wildcat package? Everyone in America knows what is happening when they line up RoJo under center.

At the beginning of the season, I liked the concept of RoJo in the Wildcat because I assumed he could throw the ball just enough to keep defenses guessing. But as to my count he hasn't thrown out of that set all year. Has he?

I only bring his name up because CDC and him are serious boys.
Good point about how tight CDC is with Franklin, but CDC will be granted little latitude on a new hire if Sark is fired, even though Sark was Eltife’s pick.

3 consecutive bad hires resulting in 10 years of mediocrity & misery (on top of Mack’s disastrous last 4 seasons) will trigger a more deliberate search, probably with a committee of football-smart Longhorn greats, as was utilized in the hiring of Mack.

Good point about how tight CDC is with Franklin, but CDC will be granted little latitude on a new hire if Sark is fired, even though Sark was Eltife’s pick.

3 consecutive bad hires resulting in 10 years of mediocrity & misery (on top of Mack’s disastrous last 4 seasons) will trigger a more deliberate search, probably with a committee of football-smart Longhorn greats, as was utilized in the hiring of Mack.
CDC has to get the next one right…

@Ketchum what is Sark thinking when he pulls out the Wildcat package? Everyone in America knows what is happening when they line up RoJo under center.

At the beginning of the season, I liked the concept of RoJo in the Wildcat because I assumed he could throw the ball just enough to keep defenses guessing. But as to my count he hasn't thrown out of that set all year. Has he?
He's thinking that it's the best way to get downhill when he wants to get downhill.

It's almost time to circle back to Korn Ferry

Reactions: HorntoWin
He has the track record and the checkbook. Kiffin is at the top of list in my opinion. He may be a ——— but he has killed it at a second tier school in the SEC + the ags already hate him and he has made them his bitch.
100%. Kiffin would be in my top 2. He’s winning already in the SEC with Ole Miss…

From the giddy high of annihilating OU 49-0 to the abysmal frustration & despair of Sark & QE making fools of themselves (and by extension, us) against TCU is a mind f*ck that has left us dazed, confused, angry & bewildered.
I mean who can explain how that happened. We know why, but how exactly does that happen? It's like Texas is in The Twilight Zone or better yet, illustrated characters & storyline straight out of Jimi Hendrix/Dylan's "All Along the Watch Tower."

There must be some kinda way outta here/
Said the joker to the thief/
There's too much confusion here/
I can't get no relief/

Outside in the cold distance a wild cat did growl/
Two riders were approaching/
And the wind began to howl.

@Ketchum I think this was mentioned in your instant analysis after the game, but having gone to the game Saturday for the first time this year and getting see the offense from a birds eye view vs. what you get on TV, the biggest shock/concern coming out of it was the overall offensive game plan. I have no clue what they were trying to accomplish.

Putting aside Bijan getting 12 touches which is crazy, the running game made no sense. Hutson was getting used up, and it seemed like we kept hammering the run to his side. Quinn for sure struggled in his own right, but even the passing game independent of him seemed so poorly designed. The deep balls get a lot of grief and rightfully so, but even w/o that there seems to be so many difficult intermediate throws to receivers outside of the numbers. There were numerous plays with multiple receivers in the same area, so much so at times it seemed like TCU knew what play was coming b/c they didn’t have to cover very much space. Limited throws over the middle, granted a few of those were dropped, but still it feels like that isn’t a part of the offense enough. No real urgency to get Quinn going and more comfortable with easy throws until the 4th quarter until it was too late. The lack of tempo was really confusing, considering that seemed to be the only time the offense got any rhythm.

I don’t know, it just seemed like everything about the offense Saturday was so difficult when it didn’t need to be. When you’ve got a freshman QB with limited experience, you would think the game plan would look opposite of that which is the most concerning thing I took from Saturday. For a guy who’s calling card (allegedly) is genius offensive play-calling and enhancing the overall play of QB’s, I just don’t know how you can look at Saturday as anything other than a minor red flag from an overall perspective. I’m not as concerned about Quinn as most are, he just looks like a freshman QB that hasn’t played very much football in the past 2 years and is still a work in progress on the mental side of the game. Defenses were always going to adjust to him with more film, and the processing for him to counter that just doesn’t seem to be quite there yet. No reason for everyone to panic yet, which is asking a lot I know lol.

On a positive note, big shoutout to the defense and the staff! They were ballin out and there seems to be legitimate improvement on that side of the ball!

"Danny Trejo didn't have an awesome night punting, but he very quietly had a pretty good night."

Respectfully disagree. He averaged 41 yards per punt, and left TCU at our 49, after a 35 yard punt, at our 42 after a 42 yard punt, at the TCU 49 after a 34 yard punt and 8 yard return. He did nail 2 inside the 20, but 1 was at he end of the 1st Half, so it was of no consequence. We could have used him flipping the field, but it didn't happen. He was not a problem, but he was no solution, either. It was a MEH night for Trejo, Nothing more.

@Ketchum I think this was mentioned in your instant analysis after the game, but having gone to the game Saturday for the first time this year and getting see the offense from a birds eye view vs. what you get on TV, the biggest shock/concern coming out of it was the overall offensive game plan. I have no clue what they were trying to accomplish.

Putting aside Bijan getting 12 touches which is crazy, the running game made no sense. Hutson was getting used up, and it seemed like we kept hammering the run to his side. Quinn for sure struggled in his own right, but even the passing game independent of him seemed so poorly designed. The deep balls get a lot of grief and rightfully so, but even w/o that there seems to be so many difficult intermediate throws to receivers outside of the numbers. There were numerous plays with multiple receivers in the same area, so much so at times it seemed like TCU knew what play was coming b/c they didn’t have to cover very much space. Limited throws over the middle, granted a few of those were dropped, but still it feels like that isn’t a part of the offense enough. No real urgency to get Quinn going and more comfortable with easy throws until the 4th quarter until it was too late. The lack of tempo was really confusing, considering that seemed to be the only time the offense got any rhythm.
This. I get it if they are stacking the box and taking away the run game. And I get it that your freshman QB is struggling. But in that case why aren't you throwing short or intermediate routes to give him the confidence? Hell, Bijan possibly has the best hands on the team--why not throw the ball to him at all?

This game felt like they spent so much time and energy game planning on the defense that they didn't have a plan for the offense. It didn't feel like a Sark planned game to me at all. It felt like they let a guest picker choose the plays.

I don’t know, it just seemed like everything about the offense Saturday was so difficult when it didn’t need to be. When you’ve got a freshman QB with limited experience, you would think the game plan would look opposite of that which is the most concerning thing I took from Saturday. For a guy who’s calling card (allegedly) is genius offensive play-calling and enhancing the overall play of QB’s, I just don’t know how you can look at Saturday as anything other than a minor red flag from an overall perspective. I’m not as concerned about Quinn as most are, he just looks like a freshman QB that hasn’t played very much football in the past 2 years and is still a work in progress on the mental side of the game. Defenses were always going to adjust to him with more film, and the processing for him to counter that just doesn’t seem to be quite there yet. No reason for everyone to panic yet, which is asking a lot I know lol.

On a positive note, big shoutout to the defense and the staff! They were ballin out and there seems to be legitimate improvement on that side of the ball!
Good post.

"Danny Trejo didn't have an awesome night punting, but he very quietly had a pretty good night."

Respectfully disagree. He averaged 41 yards per punt, and left TCU at our 49, after a 35 yard punt, at our 42 after a 42 yard punt, at the TCU 49 after a 34 yard punt and 8 yard return. He did nail 2 inside the 20, but 1 was at he end of the 1st Half, so it was of no consequence. We could have used him flipping the field, but it didn't happen. He was not a problem, but he was no solution, either. It was a MEH night for Trejo, Nothing more.

Twice he pinned them inside the 7 yard line.

His biggest punt was the one that pinned them at the 7 when it was a 3-0 game. If the Texas defense holds, it should have set Texas up very well in terms of field position.

Instead, TCU went 93 yards for a touchdown in 4 plays.

CDC (through Bohls) vetting the fanbase's reaction to actually hiring Dykes in the not so distant future? If so, brilliant move IMO..especially if TCU makes the playoff.
I think it clearly signaled who one guy wanted vs. what the guy that ultimately made the hire wanted.

Reactions: BigGulpHorn15
Twice he pinned them inside the 7 yard line.

His biggest punt was the one that pinned them at the 7 when it was a 3-0 game. If the Texas defense holds, it should have set Texas up very well in terms of field position.

Instead, TCU went 93 yards for a touchdown in 4 plays.
The first time he pinned them it was the final play of the 1st half. It didn't matter. He had 1 punt that was really clutch. The rest....meh

The first time he pinned them it was the final play of the 1st half. It didn't matter. He had 1 punt that was really clutch. The rest....meh
That's fair. But, he's kind of meh all season after the quick start. Maybe I was grading with a curve. ;)

Reactions: HuffTex
The defense was the silver lining to the game on Saturday. The long run touchdown on the super obvious non-call of holding was pretty typical for Texas' treatment by Big XII refs this year. The only other reoccurring "DOH" of the night was TCU's best receiver being completely wide open in the end zone. I think that's happened at least once in every game this season (not necessarily in the end zone, but usually for a critical 3rd or 4th down pickup). Not sure why that continues to be a reoccurring lapse, but it's a backbreaker and really disheartening to watch.

I was also shocked that Sark didn't start calling a few simple tosses for Ewers just to get calmed down and in some rhythm. While a bunch of the deep targets for Worthy were terribly off target, Worthy continues to suffer from the dropsies this year (something I've been chirping about since game 1), and on a couple of targets seemed not to give elite effort. One of those long balls hit the turf within 2 feet (it seemed) of his feet. Seems like he didn't want to go horizontal. As much as Ewers simply hasn't been on target since he's been back, I feel like Worthy has underperformed.

I totally disagree on Card, though. I do think Card should have come into the game this weekend to try and spark something, either in the team or in Ewers. However, Sark made the right call last year giving QB1 to Thompson. Thompson's late season performance last year, we've found out, was due to a not insignificant thumb injury. With him and Card both injured, there was not going to be plus-play to end last year. This year, in the Card starts and playing time, we all saw why he wasn't and isn't QB1. He gave great effort and is a gritty guy, but he's always making throws just a little late. Prior to Ewer's injury, I think we saw his potential there. Hopefully, Ewers can get back on track (before the end of this season!!).

He's Sark's guy. Card is Herman's guy.
Thats probably true, but it's awfully petty. For what Sark gets paid, he owes it to the school, CDC, the fans and the players to do his best to try and win every single game, regardless of who recruited whom.

Just win the F'ing game. Winning games will do more for the long term health of the program than scoring 3 points during a night game with "your guys".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT