ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Shaka is a damn good coach)

He played “Havoc”. Any team can get lucky playing a garbage brand of b-ball. To that point, he was basically hired bc of his style of play, but completely abanded it bc he “could Land better athletes at Texas”. Maybe he should stick with hat he knows.

I firmly believe that you know he isn’t a good coach.
He just got lucky taking out all of those higher seeds.

Question: In the last 25 years, how many wins does Texas have over higher seeds in the NCAA Tournament?

His F4 is going on 7 years ago. How long is he going to get to live off of that?

One good run doesn't make you a damn good coach. Is Gene Chizik a "damn good" head coach b/c he won it all at Auburn?

Since that good run, take a guess how many higher seeds he has beaten. One to go along with two losses.

Since that good run, guess how many lower seeds he has beaten? One....... to go along with three losses.

How many times has he made it to the 2nd weekend since then? Zero. How many times to day two in the six years since? Twice. The 5th and 6th year farthest away from today. Since then its 3 first round exits against worse seeded teams and soon to be 2 missed tournies altogether.

Results matter. When he made it to the big time he became a small fish in a big pond. He quite possibly coached Texas to its worst season ever last year and is about to miss the tourney as twice many times as his predecessor did in 17 years. Oh yeah, he accomplished that feat in 3 years.

He may very well be a "damn good" coach but i don't see it. And even if he is one, IDGAS about being a good coach, I care about winning. He damn sure isn't good at that at Texas. I have zero doubt in my mind 95% of the coaches out there could have Texas a game over .500 through 100 games.

Last edited:
He just got lucky taking out all of those higher seeds.

Question: In the last 25 years, how many wins does Texas have over higher seeds in the NCAA Tournament?

They did catch a "break" (as do plenty of teams that make runs) in that 10-seed FSU took out 2-seed ND. Then, with a chance to play in the Finals, VCU promptly loss to just an 8-seed in the national semis. I mean, if you want to talk impressive runs w/o the benefit of any upset in reaching the FF, then Butler's was far better knocking off a 9, 1, 4 and a 2.

Reactions: Seftees
I smell vindication for Ketchum on the horizon. If this team makes the tournament (as is likely) it's going to make a run. The talent is there. The jury's out on Shaka in my mind, but I'm guessing he shuts up his critics before his time in Austin is over.

I wouldn't be so quick to call the chances of making the tourney "likely." Now if we win tomorrow then the chances go up significantly. But clearly, that's a major "if."

They did catch a "break" (as do plenty of teams that make runs) in that 10-seed FSU took out 2-seed ND. Then, with a chance to play in the Finals, VCU promptly loss to just an 8-seed in the national semis. I mean, if you want to talk impressive runs w/o the benefit of any upset in reaching the FF, then Butler's was far better knocking off a 9, 1, 4 and a 2.
Butler and VCU both had incredible runs.

I wouldn't be so quick to call the chances of making the tourney "likely." Now if we win tomorrow then the chances go up significantly. But clearly, that's a major "if."
Yeah, take nothing for granted with this team.

Maya Smart better keep an eye on her man if Ketch is around.
tenor.gif

24-36 hours later, it is kind of amazing that an online riot broke out because I called the Texas basketball coach a damn good coach on a Texas message board.

Click bait. Nothing more.

No rational person on Earth would ever try to argue a guy with ZERO conference championships at VCU and a 47-46 three year record with ZERO NCAA tournament wins at Texas is a "damn good coach" let alone presume to mock those who disagree.

Be better Ketch.

Click bait. Nothing more.

No rational person on Earth would ever try to argue a guy with ZERO conference championships at VCU and a 47-46 three year record with ZERO NCAA tournament wins at Texas is a "damn good coach" let alone presume to mock those who disagree.

Be better Ketch.
You busted me.

Also, how do 2 players look worse, conditioning wise, towards the end of a basketball season? Davis and O have packed some pounds on during the season. They look bad.
I’m thinking they’ve gained 10-12 pounds each — during the season. Maybe we don’t see more “havoc” because these guys spend too much time at the dining table.

I want to hear the back story to Brewster. I like Shaka..but extremely disappointed I'm this years results.

You busted me.
Oh I know. Everyone who's been here long enough knows.

Mind you, I'm not hating on you for it. I get why you are doing it. I completely disagree with you based on real data, but again I understand why you are doing it.

Oh I know. Everyone who's been here long enough knows.

Mind you, I'm not hating on you for it. I get why you are doing it. I completely disagree with you based on real data, but again I understand why you are doing it.
I used no data.It was just emotional jibberish.

24-36 hours later, it is kind of amazing that an online riot broke out because I called the Texas basketball coach a damn good coach on a Texas message board.
As per usual, its the way you respond to people that typically pisses them off. Case in point:

I didn't ignore it in the article.Perhaps you should read before commenting.

Your facts aren't the only facts that matter.

He's doing a good job this year. Only someone who can't shake the anger from last year can't see that.

Your lack of rationality is showing.

I can't make this make sense for you. That's on you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT