ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Some good, some bad and some fugly)

My biggest frustration for the game Saturday was Texas not having any intensity. It was clear that ou came out setting the tone for the whole game. Championship caliber teams can’t wait until the second half to figure it out every week. It will bite them in the but sooner (absolutely no pun intended!) later.

Crappy sports weekend for DFW except for the Rangers!
💯

Texas was all kinds of our of sorts on the whole drive. I'm not sure it's 1 in 10.
There was a lot of precise things that needed to happen. Personally I think 1 in 10 is about right, but I’ve been wrong before, and I doubt that was my last time.

They might lose another, but it won’t be to BYU. That isn’t a good football team, despite their record.
I don't think I could stomach another loss to BYU, (or to any of the rest of the big 12, for that matter)

He's literally on pace for the second best passing season in 120 years of UT football.
Again, if that’s your sole criteria, Tech has had 10 QBs that are better than anything we’ve produced.

He doesn't think he needs help. They never do.
Sadly, I think that's the truth about most coaches--and it's their Achilles heel--it prevents them from getting better and ultimately gets them fired, because it prevents them from winning enough.

Interesting perspective. That’s not a good trait.

Why does he hire people like Gary Patterson then?
I hear ya--great question--I've asked myself that question--why does he have these guys?? Guys like Patterson and Christ are very experienced guys who have been around the game a long time.

I've said wow, Sark can really pick their brains about coaching, and help him get better as a coach, help with game management, preparing his team for what the opponent can throw at him, maintaining player intensity and desire, etc etc.

Sadly, I don't think he consults with them on this stuff at all--what a missed opportunity for Sark. I think they're there to scout the other teams, at most. And then they have to make sure the coffee pot is full, and the restrooms have plenty of toilet paper 🙂

How does that happen in THIS game? Is this a coaching problem?
Great question--IMHO, anytime a team doesn't match the intensity of their opponents or is surprised that the other team "didn't show something on tape"--particularly in the most important game of the season, it's entirely on the head coach.

Since 2000, there have been far too many times where Texas wasn't as intense at winning this game as ou--and we got clobbered as a result. It's not an accident.

IMO, this has also been a problem against the tcu's, okie states, tech's, iowa state, byu's of the world.

This is one of the great mysteries about Texas culture, and it drives me crazy.

Sorry for the rant--but I'm just tired of being embarrassed by teams we should be doing better against.

Reactions: TheAngryHammer
Starts at the top.

“Just have fun“ and “weather the storm” instead of “go out and eat the other guy’s soul.”
Exactly!
Because that is what ou's coaches, administration, fans, alumni say to their players--I guarantee it.

Who would of thunk that the defense that had been salty and tough all year so far would have laid such an egg - though, even with the prior salty defensive performances, we have always shown the "ability" to allow the big plays. I agree that player performance was a bigger issue than PK's game plan. The game plan wasn't his best, mind you, but I thought PK called a much better gam than Sark. The good aggressive plays you mentioned were the best moves by Sark and after the dismal start, Ewers was very good the remainder of the game, but that fricking failure to score from OU's 1 yard line is getting to be a repeat issue with Sark. I understand the desire to be the smash-mouth, impose your will OL and running game, but come on!! After 2 straight stuffs, there should have been a spread pass attempt or two and maybe some trickeration. We needed that score!

I'm also totally in line with your comments on Baxter! Do you think Sark feels the heat that Baxter will portal if he's not getting game time? It just messes with Brooks' very productive flow! And, is it me, but does Baxter still look a little gimpy. I swear I've seen him limp or hop after some runs/tackles.

Gabriel wasn't that great other than with his legs on Saturday. If there's a rematch, PK better come up with a better scheme to contain him. That was a game on Saturday, I feel, Texas should have won by a couple of scores. I hope Texas can maintain focus and not f' up against a bottom dweller (as we have a history of doing). The hopeful part for me is that I still don't think Texas has played an all around great game this year. I don't think the offense and defense has been cracking it at the same time all year. If we can get both sides on the same page and get Sark to pull his head out with some of his stubborn tendencies, we should make the Big 12 championship and should take whoever is there to the woodshed. It's just unfortunate that this loss, which was one of the all time best TX-OU games in a long time (though I prefer the games like last year), may keep Texas out of the playoffs.

Who would of thunk that the defense that had been salty and tough all year so far would have laid such an egg - though, even with the prior salty defensive performances, we have always shown the "ability" to allow the big plays. I agree that player performance was a bigger issue than PK's game plan. The game plan wasn't his best, mind you, but I thought PK called a much better gam than Sark. The good aggressive plays you mentioned were the best moves by Sark and after the dismal start, Ewers was very good the remainder of the game, but that fricking failure to score from OU's 1 yard line is getting to be a repeat issue with Sark. I understand the desire to be the smash-mouth, impose your will OL and running game, but come on!! After 2 straight stuffs, there should have been a spread pass attempt or two and maybe some trickeration. We needed that score!

I'm also totally in line with your comments on Baxter! Do you think Sark feels the heat that Baxter will portal if he's not getting game time? It just messes with Brooks' very productive flow! And, is it me, but does Baxter still look a little gimpy. I swear I've seen him limp or hop after some runs/tackles.

Gabriel wasn't that great other than with his legs on Saturday. If there's a rematch, PK better come up with a better scheme to contain him. That was a game on Saturday, I feel, Texas should have won by a couple of scores. I hope Texas can maintain focus and not f' up against a bottom dweller (as we have a history of doing). The hopeful part for me is that I still don't think Texas has played an all around great game this year. I don't think the offense and defense has been cracking it at the same time all year. If we can get both sides on the same page and get Sark to pull his head out with some of his stubborn tendencies, we should make the Big 12 championship and should take whoever is there to the woodshed. It's just unfortunate that this loss, which was one of the all time best TX-OU games in a long time (though I prefer the games like last year), may keep Texas out of the playoffs.
Good stuff. I definitely feel like Sark is trying to placate Baxter to some degree. There's no way he ever thought a world would exist where Brooks would block Baxter with All-America level play.

If Brooks comes back next year, Baxter will have a lot to think about.

There's no way he ever thought a world would exist where Brooks would block Baxter with All-America level play.
This may say something about Sark as well--not knowing who your best players are, including your running backs, with whom whose skills you should be intimately aware.

Reactions: jgreene_machine
This may say something about Sark as well--not knowing who your best players are, including your running backs, with whom whose skills you should be intimately aware.
He's flat out admitted that this has taken him by surprise.

He's flat out admitted that this has taken him by surprise.
I believe you--100%. I was just saying that he should know who his best running back is--as you said, "it ain't rocket science."

I'm starting to see that there are a lot of things that are taking him by surprise--it may be one explanation why he's struggling with teams like oklahoma, and turning his program into a consistent winner.

I believe you--100%. I was just saying that he should know who his best running back is--as you said, "it ain't rocket science."

I'm starting to see that there are a lot of things that are taking him by surprise--it may be one explanation why he's struggling with teams like oklahoma, and turning his program into a consistent winner.
Oh, I agree.

Reactions: aarontxex
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT