ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Spitballing all weekend)

Do you remember the article that you posted before the Charlie Strong hire imploring Belmont to unload the Brinks Truck for Jim Harbaugh?

Probably one you would rather have back
John Harbaugh was the hire I was in favor of, although I did think Jim was a rock star,

Great all around write up. Many many topics covered. I especially respect the fact that you called out anyone who disses on TH’s character.

Personally, I would like to see UT admn go for it for once in my 45 years of being a fan and nail down a top of the line already proven head football coach.
We can all thank TH for improving things post CS.
I hear ya.

Reactions: MauiHorn
Say what? This message board is full of posters who name-call Herman every single day and throw insults at him left and right based on rumored off-field activity. Seems like it's totally allowed on here as there are never any repercussions . . . .
Just because people say things doesn't mean that it's right. Is that the bar you think exists? If it's allowed, it serves as an endorsement?

Reactions: Samtheman1982
What? Who’s doing that?

I’ve seen a few “vodka Tom” comments on here, but far from anything that would be an attempt to smear his character. Most of the hate here has been coaching and game outcome related.
It's going around. I've had people mention it to me.

Reactions: dtarver
Great all around write up. Many many topics covered. I especially respect the fact that you called out anyone who disses on TH’s character.

Personally, I would like to see UT admn go for it for once in my 45 years of being a fan and nail down a top of the line already proven head football coach.
We can all thank TH for improving things post CS.
Now that’s reasonable.

Reactions: MauiHorn
Great read! Follow-up b/s:

b/s - Texas erred in north reassigning Herman after the loss to OU and firing him after his buyout reduces in December.

No. 5 - Strong Troll Game ...

Urban is messing with your minds at this point.
1605477187368.png
Can someone provide context for this?

WOW. Did that really happen? Tiger got a 10 on a hole that wasn't a 10 on a hooker at Hooters? I was a junior PGA and on my high school golf team and I only carded a 10 stroke hole once, and that was on a par 5 with penalty... But, Tiger, probably shat more birdies by the time he was a 3 year old on the Johnny Carson show than I did in my golf career.
Oh, it happened.

@Horndrew - No, I am good with the post.

@Ketchum - If I am being too much of a jackass, then feel free to delete the post. Just trying to set a fellow OB'er who is challenging my facts right

From Dec 13th, 2013.

Go get Jim Harbaugh.
Over the course of the last week, as the knowledge of Mack Brown's farewell and acknowledgment of a lost opportunity in pursuing Nick Saban has started to sink in for every Texas football fan on the planet, the question has been asked so many times and so many names have been mentioned with the position that it's turned into a little bit of a national punch-line. I mean … who hasn't been rumored to have an interest in the Longhorn coaching position at this point?
Therefore, let me make this real simple … go get Jim Harbaugh.
Don't let the laughter both you from those that believe you'd be making a fool out of yourself for trying to poach the loser of last year's Super Bowl from one of the most attractive gigs in the NFL. Don't let the daunting nature of the task put so much fright into the mind that you become too scared to even try. Don't do anything other than this ... ask yourself who the best possible candidate for the job is?
Who is the only candidate on the wish-list with experience of building an elite program from scratch, while also achieving even more success at the highest level of the sport?
Who is the only coach on the wish-list that would bring a lightning bolt of momentum that would come closest to matching the arrival of Saban within the Longhorn fan base?
Who is the only coach on the wish list that built his elite program around the recruiting and development of a number of Texas high school players, some of the high-profile variety and others that were not?
Ask yourself this question … if David Shaw is pretty much everyone's vision of a dream candidate, who would you prefer if you had the choice between him and Harbaugh? You know the answer. As good as Shaw has proven to be on the college scene, the answer every day of the week and twice on Sunday is the answer to all of these questions.
Go get Jim Harbaugh.
Could the Longhorns pull it off? I'll be honest, I'm not sure, but let me tell you what I do know. Harbaugh is currently in the third year of a five-year, $25 million contract and while there's been talk of an extension in the off-season, it is still something that is in the talking stage and not the signing stage. That means that he has two years and $10 million left on the contract.
I also know that according to ProFootballTalk, a source reports that if Harbaugh wanted to leave for the Longhorns, the 49ers organization wouldn't stand in the way.
Here's something else I know, according to a report by Forbes this week, the Longhorns could pay each scholarship player on the football team $100,000 next year, while setting another $10 million on fire just for fun, and they would still have a greater team value with more created revenue and profits than the No. 2 team in college football ? Notre Dame. When people talk about Texas being the Joneses, this is what they mean. The program literally has so much money at its immediate disposal that it could create a bonfire of $100 bills next Thanksgiving in the name of starting a new tradition if it wanted to.
In talking with a number of people about Harbaugh this week, the sense I have is that the job definitely is intriguing, but he hasn't given more than a few glancing thoughts about it.
So, here's what I propose: make him think about it.
Eight years, $80 million and all of it is guaranteed. On top of that, I make a commitment of $40 million for his assistant coaches over the course of his contract ($5 million per season), while also committing another $16 million to support staff ( $2 million per year).
One of the harsh realities of the battle for Saban is that the Longhorns could have offered an out-of-this-world $100 million contract and the Tide would have matched it without even blinking. The 49ers? Does anyone really think they'd establish a new pay-scale in the NFL by matching the deal? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Make him turn down your $80 million. Make the 49ers match it. Make the entire world know that if you want something, by God, you'll use every available resource at your disposal to get what you want. In the process, make the rest of the football world pray you never want their coach.
Texas, for once in your life, just go be Texas. Let yourself be overwhelmed with the same audacity that made Jett Rink and J.R. Ewing the men all Texans secretly wish they could be.
Go get Jim Harbaugh.
He seemed as much as a sure thing as could possibly exist at the time.

Reactions: NormS
Does wanting Meyer so bad that you hope the Horns lose a couple games make me a pathetic fan / alum?

Reactions: samthehorn
The 2021 recruiting class is totally inexcusable given the instate talent. Something is terribly wrong with the program to scare some of these kids away.
This is the reason we must replace TH with Urban ASAP. Right or wrong, Herman has been tagged with the reputation of not developing players, and that will continue to keep the elite kids away. We will never get out of OU‘s shadow with TH here. Hire Urban and Ewers will jump back on board(trust me) and we will have a banner ‘22 class, a national championship caliber coach that can beat Riley and easily out recruit Jimbo. It’s really that simple.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT