ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Texas must fix this or else...)

Herman’s approach seems to be telling the recruits just how hard he expects them to work to be the best they can be.
He is emphasizing good character, which to me includes good work ethic on and off the field.
I think he expects his recruits to develop at a rate higher than the average.
We will see in a couple of years.
I think they all claim they want kids with good character.

More than anything, they want bad ass dudes on the field. If they have passable character.... cool.

Here are the Texas five stars ...

RB - Bijan Robinson (Freshman)
DB - Caden Sterns (Junior)

-Xr7Fl.gif

(Buy) I tend to think a program like the Longhorns can auto-pilot to a top-10 class each year or at least in the very close neighborhood. It's getting inside the top five that consistently that changes programs.

Had that answer for you pegged even before you answered. And it's right on target. In pretty much any year when Texas is humming it can pretty much land a top 10 class w/o breaking a sweat. For the loaded '21 class we probably don't even need to get out of bed. The problem is there's a HUGE difference between a top 10 class and a top 5 as you've pointed out for years.

Reactions: Craben
Can I say I'm just not sure right now?

I think he's a lesser prospect. Doesn't mean he can't have a great year. But right now if you are looking a top 10 QBs projected for next year's draft, he seems to be consistently in the back half of those lists.

Had that answer for you pegged even before you answered. And it's right on target. In pretty much any year when Texas is humming it can pretty much land a top 10 class w/o breaking a sweat. For the loaded '21 class we probably don't even need to get out of bed. The problem is there's a HUGE difference between a top 10 class and a top 5 as you've pointed out for years.
It's always nice when someone pays attention.

Reactions: RLong68
I think he's a lesser prospect. Doesn't mean he can't have a great year. But right now if you are looking a top 10 QBs projected for next year's draft, he seems to be consistently in the back half of those lists.
I'm thinking third day. He'll need to crush his pro day and the combine.

No. 3 - The other recruiting tier that really matters ...

In a lot of ways, five-stars should probably be counted as six stars and high four stars should be counted as five-stars because this tier's rate of high-level development follows closer to five-star lines than the rest of the four stars.

* Typically, somewhere between 30-40 percent of all high four-star players develop into NFL Drafted players.

* Typically, somewhere between 15-25 percent of all high four-star players eventually get drafted in the first three rounds of the draft.

Here are the Texas high four-stars ...

WR - Brennan Eagles (Junior)
WR - Jake Smith (Sophomore)
WR - Jordan Whittington (Redshirt freshman)
DB - Anthony Cook (Junior)
DB - Jalen Green (Junior)
DB - B.J. Foster (Junior)
DB - Tyler Owens (Sophomore)

From '17-'20 classes, here are the total number of 6.1/6.0 guys signed by each school:

Bama - 29
tOSU - 31
UGA - 34
LSU - 17
Clemson -22

TX - 11
giphy.gif

Reactions: North Texas Golfer
I'm thinking third day. He'll need to crush his pro day and the combine.

Agree. And probably middle to late Day 3. IMO, he's not really close to even 4th rounder right now.

This should also be a shit or get off the pot season for Eagles. He is set up to be the go to guy now.

Perhaps you didn't mean to completely disregard what Brennan has done thus far, but he had 32 catches for 522 yds at a 16 yd/catch clip with 6 TDs. It's not like he's been sitting on the pot not doing anything for 2 seasons.

Eagles has big time NFL upside.

No doubt. I think if you looked at the roster, I'm not sure there's a player who fits their position better as a true NFL prospect than Eagles. Obviously an argument can be made about Cosmi. But Eagles has everything the NFL is looking for in a wideout. If Eagles had put up numbers like he did here in a backup role at, let's say, 'Bama, then NFL draft folks would be talking about how he's the next in line and projecting him as a Day 1/Early Day 2 prospect.

I think they all claim they want kids with good character.

More than anything, they want bad ass dudes on the field. If they have passable character.... cool.
I know they all say that but our recruits give the impression that they really are thoughtful and respectful.
Do you not get that impression?

Herman has pointed out that he has passed on a few that didn’t fit.

I know they all say that but our recruits give the impression that they really are thoughtful and respectful.
Do you not get that impression?

Herman has pointed out that he has passed on a few that didn’t fit.
I think every coach Texas has ever had has said this.

Reactions: CenTex Horn
Perhaps you didn't mean to completely disregard what Brennan has done thus far, but he had 32 catches for 522 yds at a 16 yd/catch clip with 6 TDs. It's not like he's been sitting on the pot not doing anything for 2 seasons.

He's had some production, but he's not getting drafted very high based on what he's done so far. If he doesn't end up a top 3 round draft choice I would think he would be disappointed. I would think 2 more years of similar production would not be enough to elevate his draft status very much. You disagree?

He's had some production, but he's not getting drafted very high based on what he's done so far. If he doesn't end up a top 3 round draft choice I would think he would be disappointed. I would think 2 more years of similar production would not be enough to elevate his draft status very much. You disagree?

Of course I don't disagree. However, I also don't expect him to be a backup for 2 more seasons. You disagree?

Of course I don't disagree. However, I also don't expect him to be a backup for 2 more seasons. You disagree?

No. Hence my original post. It's one thing for a young player to show potential, it's quite another for them to step up and fulfill their destiny. I think Duvernay is a perfect example of that. If Eagles can have the type of improvement Duvernay had he should be a first rounder in a couple of years.

He had one of the best second seasons in the history of the program. He projects moving. forward as a huge player.

Reactions: J Tull
He had one of the best second seasons in the history of the program. He projects moving. forward as a huge player.

Hey, I was picking him as one of the guys that would get drafted high vs what's happened historically. He still has work to do though.

My question for you was, do you think he is actually doing this? I get the impression that Such thinks he is.
I mean I think he thinks he is in some capacity. I don't know if I believe in the romance of it all.

No. Hence my original post. It's one thing for a young player to show potential, it's quite another for them to step up and fulfill their destiny. I think Duvernay is a perfect example of that. If Eagles can have the type of improvement Duvernay had he should be a first rounder in a couple of years.

I think my point is the phrasing of "sh*t or get off the pot" is a knock on a player that in this case isn't really warranted. The ironic thing is in year 2, Duvernay had 9 catches for 124 yds and zero TDs. So 2 years in, Eagles is on a significantly better trend than Duve was.

I think my point is the phrasing of "sh*t or get off the pot" is a knock on a player that in this case isn't really warranted. The ironic thing is in year 2, Duvernay had 9 catches for 124 yds and zero TDs. So 2 years in, Eagles is on a significantly better trend than Duve was.
Or just about any wide receiver in program history outside of Roy Williams.

Well I meant it as he's the clear starter at his position now so he's definitely going to have the opportunities to prove himself going forward and won't have anyone else but himself to blame if he doesn't end up as a high pick. I didn't mean it as a dig. Looking at the entirety of that thread I would think it was clear I was saying all the players I pointed out have good chances of proving we are developing talent now.

Reactions: RLong68

Not to mention that his stats after 2 years are better than Duvernay. I totally don't get why people don't think Eagles has a good shot at being drafted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT