ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The bottom of the roster...)

I listed players not on the two-deep. Those players aren't on the two-deep.

Robinson (3rd-D RB), Collins (DT/SDE), and Broughton (DT) are all in the 2-deep.

The rest of the “NOs” I listed are all in their 1st or 2nd year with the program (other than Davis). I guess it’s semantics but I don’t consider you being in the “bottom” of the roster b/c you’re not in the 2-deep in your 1st year in the program. All those guys are going into year 2 lol. Now if they’re not in the 2-deep going into their 3rd season then yes some tough conversations need to be had. Right now IMO it’s clear that there’s a conscious effort to build young depth on this roster, 2/3 of the scholarships are FR (37) & SO (19). Most of these guys could very well be right on track to be contributors in years 3, 4 & 5 as we go into the SEC and require older/mature bodies, especially in the trenches, to compete.

Reactions: Horn19
You think Bijan slips to the Cowboys? Seeing lots of local sports news across the country already on the Draft Bijan train - Philly, Cincy to name a few
I have purposely not paid any (or at least very little) attention to all of the pre draft talk, and I've ignored almost all of the mock drafts that I didn't see scrolled across my screen while I was watching something else.

So, I don't know what the common thinking is, but I also will be very surprised if he is available when Dallas drafts. But if he is they would be crazy to pass him.

@Ketchum A lot can change but it appears Choice is targeting Christian Clark as RB #2 in this class.

How is that possible? She's one of the musical giants in modern pop culture for about the last 15 years.
In my case I imagine that I have probably HEARD some of her songs. But just hearing a song doesn't mean you know whose song it is.

I've had Sirius in my car for 7 years now, and it is now much easier to identify songs by artist. But having said that I have never heard a song of hers on Sirius. So, she isn't played on the stations I listen to.

Of course not. Quinn started in 10 games and is this team's starting QB. The backup for Caleb Williams could have a "great" spring, which would be a good individual achievement, but not affect the depth chart.

All of my sources said what we saw in the spring game was a carryover of how well Maalik played this spring. Hence, he had a great spring.
We're comparing Quinn Ewers to.... *checks his notes*... Caleb Williams?

Not a single one.
You may not by name, but you would 100% recognize several, you just don’t know who it is. It’s virtually impossible not to know a Taylor Swift song, like her or not, she’s the biggest thing going and has been for a while.

... Alabama quarterbacks Jalen Milroe and Ty Simpson both left a lot to be desired on Saturday in the Alabama spring game. If you're going to beat Alabama on the road this season, getting them very early on the calendar might be just the ticket to get you there.

... Alabama's five-star running back Justice Haynes looks like he's an incredible player just waiting to happen.

I saw the Alabama Spring game and I feel even more confident based off the QB play. But playing in Tuscaloosa is nothing to be confident about especially if its a night game. I don't remember Bijan ever having a huge spring game at Texas. So I don't feel to worried about the running back position at Texas at the moment. If you had to pick Justice Haynes vs CJ Baxter?
I always had Haynes rated as my No.1 RB in last year's class.

Robinson (3rd-D RB), Collins (DT/SDE), and Broughton (DT) are all in the 2-deep.

Robinson is the 4th running back. He's not on the two deep, even if he has a specific role.

I don't believe Collins and Broughton are on the two deep when Carter arrives in August.

In my case I imagine that I have probably HEARD some of her songs. But just hearing a song doesn't mean you know whose song it is.

I've had Sirius in my car for 7 years now, and it is now much easier to identify songs by artist. But having said that I have never heard a song of hers on Sirius. So, she isn't played on the stations I listen to.

;)

I think Alfred Collins is going to be great this fall for us so im confused on the take here

I think Alfred Collins is going to be great this fall for us so im confused on the take here
I agree I think Alfred will play well enough to get drafted next year. I think this just helps with the depth and rotation to have more quality Dlinemen to rotate and not get burned out. This will help with the departures of Sweat, Collins and potentially Murphy in 2024. With Broughton and Trill and possibly Murphy coming back it will be a good DT group for the 2024 and another potential portal pickup. (Hicks from A&M)

Let’s play a game of devils advocate or what if, if you will.

What turn of events, outside of injury, do you think keep Quinn around for 24 causing a very interesting situation? If he’s viewed as only potentially a late round pick, does he leave anyway because he just wants to be a pro? If he has a season where he’s not projected to be drafted that’s obviously ominous for him and raises the question of what now? Does he return to battle one more time, knowing Arch’s clock is now running? I mean, there’s a reasonable world that exists where the kid just isn’t quite ready to hit it supernova big this year, but the third season could be the popper.

Based on what?
I think based on measurables and base if he plays to the level of Koburn or Ojomo who will be drafted this weekend. I didn't say 1st rounder like people thought after his Colorado performance. But I can see him getting drafted 6th 7th round.

I think most simply want that more than it is in reality. It didn’t happen in his contract so why will it this season?

Thanks for the great write-up, @Ketchum .
I especially loved the Taylor Swift list. I will admit, when she first appeared on the scene, I dismissed her as a teen-age fad with no real talent. Kind of like my dad did with the Beatles. But, my HS age (at that time) daughters made me listen.
Over a decade later, I agree, she is a special talent. I love most of her music. Generational talent.

Let’s play a game of devils advocate or what if, if you will.

What turn of events, outside of injury, do you think keep Quinn around for 24 causing a very interesting situation? If he’s viewed as only potentially a late round pick, does he leave anyway because he just wants to be a pro? If he has a season where he’s not projected to be drafted that’s obviously ominous for him and raises the question of what now? Does he return to battle one more time, knowing Arch’s clock is now running? I mean, there’s a reasonable world that exists where the kid just isn’t quite ready to hit it supernova big this year, but the third season could be the popper.

adam sandler shut up GIF

Reactions: McGuapo
I remember we had a DT, named Gordon I believe, who as a senior came from the scrap heap to being a solid contributor on the 2001 team. So, it can happen. It just doesn't happen that often.

I think most simply want that more than it is in reality. It didn’t happen in his contract so why will it this season?
people said the same thing about DMO and Koburn thats why they came back but now they will be drafted. Ojomo wasn't on the draft radar heading into last fall and he will drafted.

I’m not a Taylor Swift fan. Nor a hater. I do know in my lifetime I’ve known ONE other female solo artist able to pull off demand for a stadium tour. Madonna.

I’m not a Taylor Swift fan. Nor a hater. I do know in my lifetime I’ve known ONE other female solo artist able to pull off demand for a stadium tour. Madonna.
Like her or not, the skins are on the wall. She’s a qualified supernova.

Robinson is the 4th running back. He's not on the two deep, even if he has a specific role.

I don't believe Collins and Broughton are on the two deep when Carter arrives in August.

He’s one of the best special teams players on the team, he’s a situational STARTER. He doesn’t belong in the “bottom of the roster” conversation. I recognize you went off of 2-deep, I’m telling you that’s an incorrect barometer at least for Keilan. Remind me who the staff force fed in the bowl game? The guy will make an NFL roster and be a career situational / utility + ST guy. Sign me up for the that bottom dweller tag lol.

As for Collins/Broughton, again I just disagree and see the rotation at DL playing out very differently than you do and historical snap distribution on the interior tells us that.

My projected DL 2-deep:

SDE - Sorrell / Collins
NT - Sweat / Carter
DT - Murphy / Broughton
WDE - Burke / Finkley OR Tapp

1.) I think Carter was brought in to allow Collins to bump outside and shore up the DE rotation. I think that gives that staff the flexibility to go with a heavy 4-DL look w/ Sorrel bumping to WDE. At 6’-6”Alfred has a long frame and he Carrie’s his weight really well; IMO he’s always been better suited to play outside. He got Alex Okafor’d IMO.

2.) In 2022, through the KU game (@Alex Dunlap has taken the Baylor DD charts down), the interior DL rotation / snap distribution went like this:

Sweat = 367 (22%)
Coburn (GONE) = 337 (20%)
Murphy = 296 (17%)
Ojomo (GONE) = 279 (16%)
Broughton = 210 (12%)
Collins = 195 (11%)
Bryant + Ross = 22 (1%)

Broughton was already 5th in line for snaps, 2 guys left, 1 new guy came in. I still see him in the top 4 interior DL guys in the rotation which means he’s going to get a 15-16% snap share… that’s the difference between playing 33 snaps per game (Sweat ‘22) vs 25 (4th DT Ojomo ‘22). C’mon man!

Last edited:
Reactions: horns--21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT