ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The bottom of the roster...)

Ketchum

Resident Blockhead
Staff
May 29, 2001
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

The words "third string" might as well be the ugliest of four-letter words in the sport of college football.

In a sport where nearly half of the players on scholarship aren't technically on a school's two-deep, it's kind of odd that a place that is home to so many players across the board in college football is viewed with such disgust. Of course, maybe this is what everyone had to sign up for in this era of the Portal ... a lack of patience, an overabundance of urgency and flat out fear running the state of every roster in the country.

Whether a player has been on campus five minutes, five semesters or five years, failing to hit the two-deep on the depth chart has become the unofficial blinking neon sign for players to hit the Portal in 2023. It makes keeping track of the bottom of the roster almost as important as knowing what's at the top of the roster.

Therefore, we're beginning today's column with an inspection of every player on the roster that isn't yet touching either the second-team offense or defense. Which players are behind and which are right on time? That's what we're aiming to discover.

Quarterbacks

(Note: For the time being, I'm unofficially putting Maalik Murphy and Arch Manning as co-No. 2s on the depth chart. If push came to shove, we'd probably list Manning at No. 3 going into the season, but I think it's very, very close).

Third-year sophomore Charles Wright

Can he move up: Yes. There will eventually be a loser to the Murphy/Manning battle and if the loser transfers, Wright has a chance to be the player that benefits the most. With three seasons to play, there's a world out there where he eventually becomes the program's No. 2 by the time he's a junior or senior.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. Technically, he's been passed up by two.

A little behind or right on time: Wright isn't doing anything wrong. He's just at a position where the Longhorns have recruited as well as any team in the country in the last two recruiting windows (including transfers), which has seen him bypassed by incredibly talented players. When the dust settles, he might still have an important role on this team, but it still might require years of patience.

Running Backs

(Note: With this being a completely unsettled position going into the fall, I'm currently listing Jonathon Brooks, Jaydon Blue and CJ Baxter as the players on the two-deep, but it's a crowded position and that could change).

Senior running back Keilan Robinson:

Can he move up: Maybe. He was the team's No. 1 running back in the bowl game, but he seems destined to be a receiving back out of the backfield on passing downs and a situational player in his final season. He's going to have a role on this team, but it will probably look similar to the role he had last season.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. In a backfield committee of five, Robinson is the oldest player in the group.

A little behind or right on time: He's probably right on time. The role he has is probably the role he can handle.

Sophomore Savion Redd

Can he move up: Yes. The second-year player seems destined for some kid of specialty role this season and if he performs while given the chance and other falter, anything could still happen at the running back position.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. Perhaps it isn't fair given that he just made the position switch this spring, but there's no getting around the fact that CJ Baxter is ahead of him in the running back pecking order.

A little behind or right on time: In hindsight, Red would have been better off playing this position from the moment that he arrived on campus, but he's mostly right on time. All of his best football should be in front of him.

Wide Receivers

(Note: The spring ended with the Longhorns having six fully healthy scholarship wide receivers. With the return of Isaiah Neyor to full speed action in August, it's tempting to put Casey Cain in the third-team conversation, but the reality is that he hasn't been bypassed by both Johntay Cook and Deandre Moore ... yet.)

Tight Ends

Junior Juan Davis

Can he move up: No. Maybe that's harsh, but it feels like back-up Gunnar Helm is the clear No. 2 and I'm not sure Davis is crashing down on his door. If Ja'Tavion Sanders turns pro after this season, there's a world out there that might seem him on the two-deep as a senior.

Has he been passed up by younger players: No. There's actually not yet a younger player on campus to compete with him.

A little behind or right on time: It's time for the light switch to flip on. If not, he's just taking up space.

Offensive Linemen

Redshirt sophomore Max Merrill

Can he move up: No. It's hard to see where the pathway to the second team occurs without a lot of injuries.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. See all of the players from the last two recruiting classes.

A little behind or right on time: You'd have to say he's behind at the moment, having been bypassed by younger players in each of the last two recruiting classes.

Junior Sawyer Goram-Welch

Can he move up: No.

Has he been passed up by younger players: No.

A little behind or right on time:
Although he might end up on the two-deep at center, it feels like Hayden Conner is the true No.2 at the position. I'm just not sure it's ever going to happen here.

True freshman Andre Cojoe

Can he move up: Yes. I'm not so sure that he shouldn't be the No. 2 left tackle instead of Peyton Kirkland, but he's definitely in the mix.

Has he been passed up by younger players: No. He's just a baby.

A little behind or right on time: He's probably slightly ahead of where I thought he might be after a semester.

Redshirt freshman Conner Robertson

Can he move up: It's not impossible, but he might have a hard time getting in front of both Conner and Majors.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Not yet.

A little behind or right on time: Robertson just arrived on campus last year, so he's more than in the developmental time frame you would expect, but he hasn't yet been able to get on the field and really leave a mark.

True freshman Connor Stroh

Can he move up: Not without injuries, as we learned in the spring game when he played with the second-team following injuries to DJ Campbell and Cole Hutson. If everyone is healthy, this feels like a scout team/redshirt season.

He's just in the infancy of his development.

Redshirt freshman Malik Agbo

Can he move up: It's possible that he is the second-team left guard, but it's also possible and maybe even likely that he's behind Hayden Conner, Cam Williams, DJ Campbell and Cole Hutson at the guard position.

Has he been passed up by younger players:
No.

A little behind or right on time: Right on time at this point.

Defensive Tackles

(Note: The defensive line depth chart is a little fluid because so many players can play multiple spots, but it seems like Byron Murphy is going to be the starter at nose tackle (backed by Aaron Bryant and Sydir Mitchell), while T'Vondre Sweat will start at defensive tackle (backed up by incoming transfer Trill Carter).

Senior Alfred Collins

Can he move up: I'm starting to think his time has run out. I'm selling all of my stock.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. Justice Finkley might be the primary player at end behind Barryn Sorrell, while the staff just brought in a transfer to back-up the defensive tackle position.

A little behind or right on time: [/I]I think the hourglass is running out of sand.

Junior Vernon Broughton

Can he move up: Probably not without injuries. The coaches just brought in Trill Carter to take his snaps.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Not really.

A little behind or right on time: I think the hourglass is running out of sand for Broughton as well.

Redshirt freshman Zac Swanson

Can he move up: Probably not. I don't see the pathway to playing time in 2023 as things stand unless a couple of players transfer out.

A little behind or right on time: He's a 2-3 year project who is only one year into that developmental time.

Defensive Ends

Freshman Colton Vasek

Can he move up: Absolutely. The sky is the limit. There's no reason he can't get reps as the No. 2 here in time this season.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Nope.

A little behind or right on time: Right on time.

Redshirt freshman Kris Ross

Can he move up: Sure. Ross could get snaps as the back-up behind Sorrell over the likes of Collins and Finkley if he keeps on applying pressure as he was this spring.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Nope

A little behind or right on time: He's another player that might actually be slightly ahead of where I thought he would be at this point of his development.

Redshirt freshman Jarey Bledsoe

Can he move up: Where? He played more than 60% of his snaps from the spring game at defensive tackle and that's a position that has a playing time logjam taking place at the moment. In an ideal world, hell yes, he moves up. This position needs that from him.

A little behind or right on time: It's unfair to expect more from him in his second season, but this isn't always a fair world. It needs someone to be a quality performer.

Linebackers

True freshman Liona Lefau

Can he move up: Yes, as soon as he's ready to take on a bigger role, that role will be there for him to take.

Has he been passed up by younger players: He's the young guy.

A little behind or right on time: Right on time. [/I]

Defensive backs

Sophomore Austin Jordan

Can he move up: Yes, He might already be there. He looks like the third-team nickel if everyone is healthy going into the season, but Jaylon Guilbeau isn't yet 100%.

A little behind or right on time: He's competing for playing time in year two, which means he's right on time.

Redshirt freshman Xavion Brice

Can he move up: Not without injuries. It's very crowded on the two-deep right now and he's simply on the outside looking in.

Has he been passed up by younger players: No, but that possibility does loom.

A little behind or right on time: He's a young player developing. He has to remain patient.

Redshirt freshman Larry Turner-Gooden

Can he move up: Probably not without injuries. He might still be a year away from being able to be a major contributor.

A little behind or right on time: See Brice.

No. 2 - Bo Davis' Group in 2024 ...

One of the elements of the recent addition of Minnesota defensive tackle Trill Carter has less to do with the impact that he will make in 2023 and more to do with the fact that he could be a critical piece to the 2024 team as possibly the player that replaces T'Vondre Sweat in the starting line-up.

With Sweat and Alfred Collins set to depart following this season, next year's depth chart could look like this:

NT1: (Sr.) Byron Murphy
NT2: (So.) Sydir Mitchell
NT3: (So.) Aaron Bryant

DT1: (Sr.) Trill Carter
DT2: (So.) Jarey Bledsoe
DT3: (So.) Zac Swanson

Hoo-boy, when you take a look at what's available, you can see why Carter was viewed as a need in the Portal. Without him, it's a position that desperately needed an injection of some kind of proven talent. The hope at this point is that Bledsoe and Swanson will develop into rotation-level players by next season, but if they don't make huge strides, Carter might not be the last player the Longhorns target at the defensive tackle position through the Portal.

The Longhorns haven't really hit the jackpot in their defensive tackle recruiting in the last few years and it means that the pressure will be on in 2024 to get this position into the shape it needs to be in when this team goes into the SEC.

No. 3 - If you could take one transfer back ...

It's not a game that actually exists, but if there was a game that allowed a team to go back into the Portal and take back a player that it lost, I might go in a direction that's a little outside the box.

I'd probably take back offensive tackle/tight end Andrej Karic, who is currently battling for a starting guard position at Tennessee.

When I look at this Texas team, I think it has real problems behind Kelvin Banks at left tackle and depth at offensive tackle when Cam Williams is playing inside, which he might do throughout the 2023 season. Had Karic stayed in Austin, he'd be the experienced swing tackle this team needs and someone that can contribute to the offense as a blocking tight end (extra offensive lineman).

The Longhorns currently have true freshmen Payton Kirkland and Andre Cojoe playing behind Banks at left tackle, but neither is remotely ready to contribute at a high level. Both players need redshirts. Both might be a couple of seasons away.

Realistically, if Texas has an injury at tackle, Kyle Flood will have no choice but to move Cam Williams back to tackle. It feels like the Longhorns have three tackles they can play (Banks, Christian Jones and Williams) and as many as five interior players (not including Williams) competing for one (including Williams) or two spots.

No. 4 - Just shooting the bull on Texas football ...

... If I'm Alfred Collins or Vernon Broughton, I'd probably have to be thinking very hard about the Portal after the addition of Trill Carter because there's no getting around the fact that the coaches just took a player to specifically take my playing time away. The question both have to ask is how good the market will be for two players that haven't produced at high levels yet.

... Can't say I really understand those that believe the second-team quarterback decision has been decided based on what happened in the spring game. Arch Manning is the most important player in the program. That's not changing.

... I wonder which running backs ended the spring in a happy place and if any didn't? I think we can close our eyes and imagine that all five of the current Texas top five running backs have important roles in the 2023 offense. Are the five running backs going to be content?

... I've also found myself wondering what the running back situation would have looked like this spring if Jonathon Brooks and Keilan Robinson had both been healthy.

... Jeff Banks needs to go find him a tight end for next season somewhere. That room looks very light the moment you remove Ja'Tavion Sanders. Portal time in the next six months?

... Best player on the team no one else talking about right now? Am I crazy to think it's Barryn Sorrell?

No. 5 - Recruiting scattershots ...

... For those keeping score at home:

* 3 of the state's top 10 prospects from the LSR Top 100 have committed
* 5 of the state's top 25 prospects from the LSR Top 100 have committed
* 3 of the state's top 10 prospects from the Rivals Top 100 have committed
* 11 of the state's top 25 prospects from the Rivals Top 100 have committed

... I'm just going to keep saying it until I'm blue in the face ... the Longhorns really, really need to go to the mattresses for Duncanville running back Caden Durham. The kid went 10.28 this weekend. TEN-TWO-EIGHT!

... The recruitment of Joseph Jonah-Ajonye is really turning into a battle. This is a kid the Longhorns really need to get back on campus. That January visit feels like forever ago.

... All things being equal, these visits to Alabama make me cringe.

... It sounds like Texas kicked the tires on Bear Alexander, but USC was winning that one before it ever became official. I'm curious to see what kind of season he ends up having.

... This is a good pick-up for Mike Gundy. Actually, it's a great pick-up for Gundy. It makes me think that he'll de-commit before signing day.

No. 6 - Prospect Talk: Parker Livingstone...

I thought I might take some time this week to have a conversation about one of the more fascinating prospects in the in-state 2024 class ... Lucas Lovejoy wide receiver Parker Livingstone.

Let's take a look at his industry rankings:

LSR: No. 49 in Texas
Rivals: Mid 4-star (5.9), No. 129 nationally and No. 21 in Texas
247: High 3-star and No. 75 in Texas
ESPN: Low four-star, No. 193 nationally, and No. 32 in Texas
On3: High 3-star and No. 127 in Texas

That's quite a range of opinions and one of the reasons why he's such an interesting prospect to discuss. A few services believe that he's a national top 200 prospect, while others believe that he's closer to the No. 700-1,000 nationally.

Here are a few thoughts about Livingstone and his rankings:

1. He's absolutely being punished to some degree by his lack of camp workouts on the national stage. There are questions about his true level of athleticism when compared to his peers and attending national events would allow for some apples-to-apples judgments. If he attends one national event and blows it out of the water, you'll see all of his rankings rise. His only recorded and published track times are from last season and a 11.7 in the 100 meters is going to raise some eyebrows, no matter how many MPH times via catapult are listed.

2. There's a lot to like about Livingstone. He knows how to use his size against smaller defenders, which allows him to box guys out when he's running a vertical route down the field. He's a strong runner with the ball. While he's not an elite high point athlete, he does a good job of competing for the ball in tight space. He also clearly has some after-the-catch ability because you can throw him a hitch and he can do some damage once he reaches top speed. Ultimately, it comes down to what kind of athlete you believe him to be.

Those that don't like him will likely say they believe he's an average athlete and question his ability to make plays athletically at the next level.

3. I find myself in the middle with Livingstone. I don't think he's a super blue chip prospect, but I think he's a very good player/prospect. There's not one thing about him that jumps off the film, but I still think he's really good, even if he's not a "wow" guy.

Finally, in case you missed it, Livingstone had some interesting comments about his top 5 schools last week:

Here is what Livingstone had to say about each program going into the final stages of his recruitment.

On Arkansas - "Arkansas was early in my recruitment, they were the third school to hop on. I've been there a lot with all different coaches. (Sam Pittman) is a great guy and we've really connected well. I went to two of their practices and I was with Coach Pittman the entire time, it was awesome being with him. Kenny Guiton, the receivers coach, is a great receivers coach. They have a bright future ahead of them."

On LSU - "Kyle Parker is there and he's one of my best buddies. (Wide receivers coach Cortez Hankton) is probably the best receiver coach out there in college football right now. When I was down there, we really connected and hit it off, same with (Brian Kelly). I had a great time down there, it's a great environment and great culture at LSU."

On South Carolina - "They're great coaches, great people. I talk to them honestly the most out of any school. The OC there came from Arkansas and he was a huge part of my recruitment at Arkansas. I love (Shane Beamer). I had a virtual visit and I had a great time, it was awesome meeting all of the coaches, even if it was over the screen."

On Texas - "(Receivers coach Chris Jackson) is a great receivers coach, he coached in the NFL for a while. My ultimate dream is to make it to the NFL. Him being there and him knowing what an NFL receiver looks like, how they train and what they look for, it plays a huge part in my recruitment. Same thing with (Steve Sarkisian) being in the NFL and having the awesome team he has."

On Texas A&M - "The culture at A&M is crazy with (receivers coach Dameyune Craig) and (Jimbo Fisher). Coach Fisher likes two-sport athletes, he actually went to college on a baseball scholarship. Me and him have had some great conversations about football and what they have to offer at A&M."

No. 7 - Yuck ...

What a difference a week makes.

Seven days ago, the concern was that the Longhorns didn't finish off a sweep of Baylor, thus giving themselves some breathing room at the top of the Big 12 standing.

Fast forward to Sunday evening and the Longhorns not only no longer have a lead from first place to protect, but the Longhorns are suddenly stuck in the middle of the Big 12 pack with an 8-7 conference record. Maybe you can't win a conference title in a single weekend, but it sure feels like the three-game home sweep at the hands of former last-place Oklahoma this weekend might have cost the Longhorns the title.

It's probably too early to say such a thing with the Big 12 being the difference between second-place and eighth-place being merely two games in the loss column, but the margin of error moving forward is going to be minimal. You have to wonder what this weekend will have cost the team in the way of post-season plans.

With suddenly vulnerable TCU on deck in Ft. Worth next weekend, the Longhorns simply need to get back to winning more games than they are losing. With nine conference games remaining against at TCU, at Kansas and at home against West Virginia, anything less than taking 6 out of 9 games will probably mean that Texas came up short in its quest of a Big 12 title.

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

B/S. Portal will take two current Longhorn OL? That is two OL will enter portal

(Sell) I'm going to say that it takes one, but not two. That being said, I think we can expect quite a few Portals out in the two windows that follow the current one. At some point, the rubber will meet the road for a number of these players.

If Sark doesn’t win the Big 12 and the team is fairly healthy, does that constitute failure in year 3?

(Buy) Of course. Massive.

B/S All 3 qbs will be 1st round draft picks for UT

(Sell) No, I don't believe that is going to happen. Here's hoping it happens with one of them.

B/S we won’t ever get to see that bald head at night chatting anymore?

(Sell) Don't count me out at all.

B/S Cam Williams is one of the top five OL on this team

(Buy) Here's my No. 3 right now behind Kelvin Banks and Christian Jones. Hayden Conner would be my fourth. I'm totally open-minded about No. 5.

B/s - shredded cheddar is better on hot dogs than liquid cheese.

(Buy) 100-percent.

B/S we get someone in the basketball portal

(Buy) ;)

B/S - You have real concern that active players are being recruited by other teams.

(Sell) It happens everywhere and everyone is guilty of it to some degree. Welcome to 2023 College Football.

Trill Carter isn’t taking snaps from Alfred Collins as you speculated in a recent video. Trill is a lineup over the guard or 3 tech run stopper but not a potential inside pass rusher like Alfred. Vernon Broughton and Aaron Bryant sure but not Alfred. Trill is replacing depth lost with the departures of Ojomo & Snacks.

(Sell) Collins played 75% of his snaps from the spring game at the position that Carter is coming into play. The other 25-percent was played at the strong-side end spot.

B/S Quinn goes to the NFL in 2024, Maalik is the starter in 2024, goes pro in 2025 and Arch doesn’t start until 2025.

(Sell) Arch Manning is going to start in 2024.

B/S you would trade Spring 2023 Quinn Ewers for 2018 Charles Omenihu for the upcoming season?

(Sell) I gave this question about 5 minutes of consideration.

B /S David Pierce can lead the program to the levels of Augie and
Gus (my opinion is no)

(Sell) Those are two of the top 5 coaches in the history of their sport. Good luck finding someone in their tier.

B/S Kelvin Banks’ height will affect his draft stock as a LT and he may even be better suited for guard at the next level. I’m not sure many 6’4” tackles are going top 10.

(Sell) The first offensive line pick in last year's NFL Draft was Ikem Ekwonu, who is 6-4. Kenyon Green is 6-4 and went No. 15 overall in last year's draft and Green isn't nearly as good as Banks.

B/S: If CDC and company knew exactly where the football program is today, all the good and bad, they would still of hired Sark?

(Buy) I think they believe this team is about to go boom. No reason to blink now.

B/S - We have a new baseball head coach before we begin play in the SEC.

(Buy) If this doesn't turn around by next season...

I don’t think I ever heard you or Anwar address Sark’s Pivot interview from a few weeks ago.

B/S Sark is serious about players who enter the portal not being welcomed back.

(Sell) I think Sark is serious about doing whatever he needs to do and that changes from situation to situation. Xavier Worthy was in the Portal last year (although it never went public) and Texas did everything it had to do to make sure Worthy stayed. If Jaylan Ford went into the Portal tomorrow, I would expect him to 100-percent be welcomed back. Same with a number of other players on the roster. Overall, the Pivot interview was fine. I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

No. 9 - Scattershooting on anything and everything ...

... The Longhorns finally struck gold on Sunday night on the transfer front. The commitment of Kadin Shedrick does the following...

1. Gets everyone to relax a little. Texas fans were starting to act like 35-year old virgins.

2. Really improves the Texas front court. Add Shedrick's commitment with the announced return of Dylan Disu and you can see a very long frontcourt, especially when you add in 6-8 Ron Holland.

3. Really improves the Texas defense for the upcoming season.

It was a good Sunday for Rodney Terry and Texas Basketball..

... Lots of buzz coming out OU's spring game over true freshmen (DB) Peyton Bowen and (QB) Jackson Arnold. So far, so good for the two best freshmen in the OU 2023 recruiting class.

xfkehgjms83jpkwzpfua

... Reese Atwood had herself a week with three consecutive walk-off winners in three consecutive games.

... Speaking of Texas softball, the Longhorns swept No. 3 Oklahoma State this weekend, which pushed UT’s current Big 12 win streak to five games, with the team winning eight of its last nine Big 12 games since running into Oklahoma at the beginning of the month.

... Kody Clemens hit his first career homer in the National League as a member of the Phillies on Sunday. Attaboy, Kody.

... Alabama quarterbacks Jalen Milroe and Ty Simpson both left a lot to be desired on Saturday in the Alabama spring game. If you're going to beat Alabama on the road this season, getting them very early on the calendar might be just the ticket to get you there.

... Alabama's five-star running back Justice Haynes looks like he's an incredible player just waiting to happen.

... Colorado had nearly 50,000 show up for its spring game on Saturday. Kudos to Deion. That is not an easy thing to pull off in Boulder.

... I will be more than ok with Dallas taking Bijan Robinson in the Draft. He has Hall of Fame upside. Let's not overthink all of this.

... Make the trade for Lamar Jackson, Texans ... none of these college quarterbacks in this class have me thinking they are sure things. Lamar is a sure thing.

... The Sixers are less than a week away from facing the Celtics in a best of 7. Come on, Joel. Get healthy.

... Golden State/Sacramento is proving to be appointment viewing.

... Fellas, Austin FC is not a good team. It feels like we all took sports cocaine last season with that group and now we're in for the hard-core hangover.

... Man City is heating up late in the season. They almost have the glow.

No. 10 - The List: Top 10 Taylor Swift songs ...

Consider the following ...

a. She just toured through the state of Texas
b. Tickets were going for bazillions.
c. It will irk a few people.

Why the hell wouldn't I do an updated Top 10 list of the one and only Taylor Swift?

Let's get to it!

10. Anti-Hero

I might be underrating some of her newest stuff, but I'll have to learn to live with myself.

9. Delicate

A fan favorite.

8. Cardigan

Feels like it needed to be on the list somewhere.

7. Teardrops on my Guitar

Might be the most underrated song she's written. I can't believe I just typed those words.

6. Back to December

Taylor's first apology song, reportedly directed toward ex-flame Taylor Lautner.

5. Shake it off

This song has more than 463,000,000 views on YouTube. Let that sink in for a moment.

4. All Too Well

Has crept up the list over the years.

3. Love Story

A lot of people would slot this song in the No. 1 spot because it's kind of her signature song, but not this guy. It'll have to settle for the bronze.

2. Blank Space

Yes this might be Taylor Swift attempting to do a Lorde-ish song, but I haven't been able to get it out of my head for weeks.

1. You Belong With Me

The ending of the video appears to have been inspired by the movie Teen Wolf, which was enough for me to put it in the No. 1 spot

Last edited:
@Ketchum one of your best this year. Nice write up. Hard to argue with any of that. 👊🏽🤘🏻💪

Good stuff.

Senior Alfred Collins

Can he move up: I'm starting to think his time has run out. I'm selling all of my stock.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. Justice Finkley might be the primary player at end behind Barryn Sorrell, while the staff just brought in a transfer to back-up the defensive tackle position.

A little behind or right on time: [/I]I think the hourglass is running out of sand.

. If I'm Alfred Collins or Vernon Broughton, I'd probably have to be thinking very hard about the Portal after the addition of Trill Carter because there's no getting around the fact that the coaches just took a player to specifically take my playing time away. The question both have to ask is how good the market will be for two players that haven't produced at high levels yet.
I think you are completely off on the Collins/Carter dynamic right now. Will be fun to see how it plays out.

Hoo-boy, when you take a look at what's available, you can see why Carter was viewed as a need in the Portal. Without him, it's a position that desperately needed an injection of some kind of proven talent. The hope at this point is that Bledsoe and Swanson will develop into rotation-level players by next season, but if they don't make huge strides, Carter might not be the last player the Longhorns target at the defensive tackle position through the Portal.

The Longhorns haven't really hit the jackpot in their defensive tackle recruiting in the last few years and it means that the pressure will be on in 2024 to get this position into the shape it needs to be in when this team goes into the SEC.

I don't follow this at all. What you posted as the 3 deep looks great to me, except that I don't think Carter will be starting in 2024. Some very exciting young talent at the position entering their second year in the program.

... Best player on the team no one else talking about right now? Am I crazy to think it's Barryn Sorrell?
Who is not talking about Sorrell? If someone isn't talking about him as one of the top players they clearly don't actually follow the team.

You think Bijan slips to the Cowboys? Seeing lots of local sports news across the country already on the Draft Bijan train - Philly, Cincy to name a few

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

The words "third string" might as well be the ugliest of four-letter words in the sport of college football.

In a sport where nearly half of the players on scholarship aren't technically on a school's two-deep, it's kind of odd that a place that is home to so many players across the board in college football is viewed with such disgust. Of course, maybe this is what everyone had to sign up for in this era of the Portal ... a lack of patience, an overabundance of urgency and flat out fear running the state of every roster in the country.

Whether a player has been on campus five minutes, five semesters or five years, failing to hit the two-deep on the depth chart has become the unofficial blinking neon sign for players to hit the Portal in 2023. It makes keeping track of the bottom of the roster almost as important as knowing what's at the top of the roster.

Therefore, we're beginning today's column with an inspection of every player on the roster that isn't yet touching either the second-team offense or defense. Which players are behind and which are right on time? That's what we're aiming to discover.

Quarterbacks

(Note: For the time being, I'm unofficially putting Maalik Murphy and Arch Manning as co-No. 2s on the depth chart. If push came to shove, we'd probably list Manning at No. 3 going into the season, but I think it's very, very close).

Third-year sophomore Charles Wright

Can he move up: Yes. There will eventually be a loser to the Murphy/Manning battle and if the loser transfers, Wright has a chance to be the player that benefits the most. With three seasons to play, there's a world out there where he eventually becomes the program's No. 2 by the time he's a junior or senior.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. Technically, he's been passed up by two.

A little behind or right on time: Wright isn't doing anything wrong. He's just at a position where the Longhorns have recruited as well as any team in the country in the last two recruiting windows (including transfers), which has seen him bypassed by incredibly talented players. When the dust settles, he might still have an important role on this team, but it still might require years of patience.

Running Backs

(Note: With this being a completely unsettled position going into the fall, I'm currently listing Jonathon Brooks, Jaydon Blue and CJ Baxter as the players on the two-deep, but it's a crowded position and that could change).

Senior running back Keilan Robinson:

Can he move up: Maybe. He was the team's No. 1 running back in the bowl game, but he seems destined to be a receiving back out of the backfield on passing downs and a situational player in his final season. He's going to have a role on this team, but it will probably look similar to the role he had last season.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. In a backfield committee of five, Robinson is the oldest player in the group.

A little behind or right on time: He's probably right on time. The role he has is probably the role he can handle.

Sophomore Savion Redd

Can he move up: Yes. The second-year player seems destined for some kid of specialty role this season and if he performs while given the chance and other falter, anything could still happen at the running back position.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. Perhaps it isn't fair given that he just made the position switch this spring, but there's no getting around the fact that CJ Baxter is ahead of him in the running back pecking order.

A little behind or right on time: In hindsight, Red would have been better off playing this position from the moment that he arrived on campus, but he's mostly right on time. All of his best football should be in front of him.

Wide Receivers

(Note: The spring ended with the Longhorns having six fully healthy scholarship wide receivers. With the return of Isaiah Neyor to full speed action in August, it's tempting to put Casey Cain in the third-team conversation, but the reality is that he hasn't been bypassed by both Johntay Cook and Deandre Moore ... yet.)

Tight Ends

Junior Juan Davis

Can he move up: No. Maybe that's harsh, but it feels like back-up Gunnar Helm is the clear No. 2 and I'm not sure Davis is crashing down on his door. If Ja'Tavion Sanders turns pro after this season, there's a world out there that might seem him on the two-deep as a senior.

Has he been passed up by younger players: No. There's actually not yet a younger player on campus to compete with him.

A little behind or right on time: It's time for the light switch to flip on. If not, he's just taking up space.

Offensive Linemen

Redshirt sophomore Max Merrill

Can he move up: No. It's hard to see where the pathway to the second team occurs without a lot of injuries.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Yes. See all of the players from the last two recruiting classes.

A little behind or right on time: You'd have to say he's behind at the moment, having been bypassed by younger players in each of the last two recruiting classes.

Junior Sawyer Goram-Welch

Can he move up: No.

Although he might end up on the two-deep at center, it feels like Hayden Conner is the true No.2 at the position. I'm just not sure it's ever going to happen here.

True freshman Andre Cojoe

Can he move up: Yes. I'm not so sure that he shouldn't be the No. 2 left tackle instead of Peyton Kirkland, but he's definitely in the mix.

Has he been passed up by younger players: No. He's just a baby.

A little behind or right on time: He's probably slightly ahead of where I thought he might be after a semester.

Redshirt freshman Conner Robertson

Can he move up: It's not impossible, but he might have a hard time getting in front of both Conner and Majors.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Not yet.

A little behind or right on time: Robertson just arrived on campus last year, so he's more than in the developmental time frame you would expect, but he hasn't yet been able to get on the field and really leave a mark.

True freshman Connor Stroh

Can he move up: Not without injuries, as we learned in the spring game when he played with the second-team following injuries to DJ Campbell and Cole Hutson. If everyone is healthy, this feels like a scout team/redshirt season.

He's just in the infancy of his development.

Redshirt freshman Malik Agbo

Can he move up: It's possible that he is the second-team left guard, but it's also possible and maybe even likely that he's behind Hayden Conner, Cam Williams, DJ Campbell and Cole Hutson at the guard position.

Has he been passed up by younger players:
No.

A little behind or right on time: Right on time at this point.

Defensive Tackles

(Note: The defensive line depth chart is a little fluid because so many players can play multiple spots, but it seems like Byron Murphy is going to be the starter at nose tackle (backed by Aaron Bryant and Sydir Mitchell), while T'Vondre Sweat will start at defensive tackle (backed up by incoming transfer Trill Carter).

Senior Alfred Collins

Junior Vernon Broughton

Can he move up: Probably not without injuries. The coaches just brought in Trill Carter to take his snaps.

A little behind or right on time: I think the hourglass is running out of sand for Broughton as well.

Redshirt freshman Zac Swanson

Can he move up: Probably not. I don't see the pathway to playing time in 2023 as things stand unless a couple of players transfer out.

A little behind or right on time: He's a 2-3 year project who is only one year into that developmental time.

Defensive Ends

Freshman Ethan Burke

Can he move up: Absolutely. The sky is the limit. There's no reason he can't get reps as the No. 2 here in time this season.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Nope.

A little behind or right on time: Right on time.

Redshirt freshman Kris Ross

Can he move up: Sure. Ross could get snaps as the back-up behind Sorrell over the likes of Collins and Finkley if he keeps on applying pressure as he was this spring.

Has he been passed up by younger players: Nope

A little behind or right on time: He's another player that might actually be slightly ahead of where I thought he would be at this point of his development.

Redshirt freshman Jarey Bledsoe

Can he move up: Where? He played more than 60% of his snaps from the spring game at defensive tackle and that's a position that has a playing time logjam taking place at the moment. In an ideal world, hell yes, he moves up. This position needs that from him.

A little behind or right on time: It's unfair to expect more from him in his second season, but this isn't always a fair world. It needs someone to be a quality performer.

Linebackers

True freshman Liona Lefau

Can he move up: Yes, as soon as he's ready to take on a bigger role, that role will be there for him to take.

Has he been passed up by younger players: He's the young guy.

A little behind or right on time: Right on time. [/I]

Defensive backs

Sophomore Austin Jordan

Can he move up: Yes, He might already be there. He looks like the third-team nickel if everyone is healthy going into the season, but Jaylon Guilbeau isn't yet 100%.

A little behind or right on time: He's competing for playing time in year two, which means he's right on time.

Redshirt freshman Xavion Brice

Can he move up: Not without injuries. It's very crowded on the two-deep right now and he's simply on the outside looking in.

Has he been passed up by younger players: No, but that possibility does loom.

A little behind or right on time: He's a young player developing. He has to remain patient.

Redshirt freshman Larry Turner-Gooden

Can he move up: Probably not without injuries. He might still be a year away from being able to be a major contributor.

A little behind or right on time: See Brice.

No. 2 - Bo Davis' Group in 2024 ...

One of the elements of the recent addition of Minnesota defensive tackle Trill Carter has less to do with the impact that he will make in 2023 and more to do with the fact that he could be a critical piece to the 2024 team as possibly the player that replaces T'Vondre Sweat in the starting line-up.

With Sweat and Alfred Collins set to depart following this season, next year's depth chart could look like this:

NT1: (Sr.) Byron Murphy
NT2: (So.) Sydir Mitchell
NT3: (So.) Aaron Bryant

DT1: (Sr.) Trill Carter
DT2: (So.) Jarey Bledsoe
DT3: (So.) Zac Swanson

No. 3 - If you could take one transfer back ...

It's not a game that actually exists, but if there was a game that allowed a team to go back into the Portal and take back a player that it lost, I might go in a direction that's a little outside the box.

I'd probably take back offensive tackle/tight end Andrej Karic, who is currently battling for a starting guard position at Tennessee.

When I look at this Texas team, I think it has real problems behind Kelvin Banks at left tackle and depth at offensive tackle when Cam Williams is playing inside, which he might do throughout the 2023 season. Had Karic stayed in Austin, he'd be the experienced swing tackle this team needs and someone that can contribute to the offense as a blocking tight end (extra offensive lineman).

The Longhorns currently have true freshmen Payton Kirkland and Andre Cojoe playing behind Banks at left tackle, but neither is remotely ready to contribute at a high level. Both players need redshirts. Both might be a couple of seasons away.

Realistically, if Texas has an injury at tackle, Kyle Flood will have no choice but to move Cam Williams back to tackle. It feels like the Longhorns have three tackles they can play (Banks, Christian Jones and Williams) and as many as five interior players (not including Williams) competing for one (including Williams) or two spots.

No. 4 - Just shooting the bull on Texas football ...

... If I'm Alfred Collins or Vernon Broughton, I'd probably have to be thinking very hard about the Portal after the addition of Trill Carter because there's no getting around the fact that the coaches just took a player to specifically take my playing time away. The question both have to ask is how good the market will be for two players that haven't produced at high levels yet.

... Can't say I really understand those that believe the second-team quarterback decision has been decided based on what happened in the spring game. Arch Manning is the most important player in the program. That's not changing.

... I wonder which running backs ended the spring in a happy place and if any didn't? I think we can close our eyes and imagine that all five of the current Texas top five running backs have important roles in the 2023 offense. Are the five running backs going to be content?

... I've also found myself wondering what the running back situation would have looked like this spring if Jonathon Brooks and Keilan Robinson had both been healthy.

... Jeff Banks needs to go find him a tight end for next season somewhere. That room looks very light the moment you remove Ja'Tavion Sanders. Portal time in the next six months?

No. 5 - Recruiting scattershots ...

... For those keeping score at home:

* 3 of the state's top 10 prospects from the LSR Top 100 have committed
* 5 of the state's top 25 prospects from the LSR Top 100 have committed
* 3 of the state's top 10 prospects from the Rivals Top 100 have committed
* 11 of the state's top 25 prospects from the Rivals Top 100 have committed

... I'm just going to keep saying it until I'm blue in the face ... the Longhorns really, really need to go to the mattresses for Duncanville running back Caden Durham. The kid went 10.28 this weekend. TEN-TWO-EIGHT!

... The recruitment of Joseph Jonah-Ajonye is really turning into a battle. This is a kid the Longhorns really need to get back on campus. That January visit feels like forever ago.

... All things being equal, these visits to Alabama make me cringe.

... It sounds like Texas kicked the tires on Bear Alexander, but USC was winning that one before it ever became official. I'm curious to see what kind of season he ends up having.

... This is a good pick-up for Mike Gundy. Actually, it's a great pick-up for Gundy. It makes me think that he'll de-commit before signing day.

No. 6 - Prospect Talk: Parker Livingstone...

I thought I might take some time this week to have a conversation about one of the more fascinating prospects in the in-state 2024 class ... Lucas Lovejoy wide receiver Parker Livingstone.

Let's take a look at his industry rankings:

LSR: No. 49 in Texas
Rivals: Mid 4-star (5.9), No. 129 nationally and No. 21 in Texas
247: High 3-star and No. 75 in Texas
ESPN: Low four-star, No. 193 nationally, and No. 32 in Texas
On3: High 3-star and No. 127 in Texas

That's quite a range of opinions and one of the reasons why he's such an interesting prospect to discuss. A few services believe that he's a national top 200 prospect, while others believe that he's closer to the No. 700-1,000 nationally.

Here are a few thoughts about Livingstone and his rankings:

1. He's absolutely being punished to some degree by his lack of camp workouts on the national stage. There are questions about his true level of athleticism when compared to his peers and attending national events would allow for some apples-to-apples judgments. If he attends one national event and blows it out of the water, you'll see all of his rankings rise. His only recorded and published track times are from last season and a 11.7 in the 100 meters is going to raise some eyebrows, no matter how many MPH times via catapult are listed.

2. There's a lot to like about Livingstone. He knows how to use his size against smaller defenders, which allows him to box guys out when he's running a vertical route down the field. He's a strong runner with the ball. While he's not an elite high point athlete, he does a good job of competing for the ball in tight space. He also clearly has some after-the-catch ability because you can throw him a hitch and he can do some damage once he reaches top speed. Ultimately, it comes down to what kind of athlete you believe him to be.

Those that don't like him will likely say they believe he's an average athlete and question his ability to make plays athletically at the next level.

3. I find myself in the middle with Livingstone. I don't think he's a super blue chip prospect, but I think he's a very good player/prospect. There's not one thing about him that jumps off the film, but I still think he's really good, even if he's not a "wow" guy.

Finally, in case you missed it, Livingstone had some interesting comments about his top 5 schools last week:

Here is what Livingstone had to say about each program going into the final stages of his recruitment.

On Arkansas - "Arkansas was early in my recruitment, they were the third school to hop on. I've been there a lot with all different coaches. (Sam Pittman) is a great guy and we've really connected well. I went to two of their practices and I was with Coach Pittman the entire time, it was awesome being with him. Kenny Guiton, the receivers coach, is a great receivers coach. They have a bright future ahead of them."

On LSU - "Kyle Parker is there and he's one of my best buddies. (Wide receivers coach Cortez Hankton) is probably the best receiver coach out there in college football right now. When I was down there, we really connected and hit it off, same with (Brian Kelly). I had a great time down there, it's a great environment and great culture at LSU."

On South Carolina - "They're great coaches, great people. I talk to them honestly the most out of any school. The OC there came from Arkansas and he was a huge part of my recruitment at Arkansas. I love (Shane Beamer). I had a virtual visit and I had a great time, it was awesome meeting all of the coaches, even if it was over the screen."

On Texas - "(Receivers coach Chris Jackson) is a great receivers coach, he coached in the NFL for a while. My ultimate dream is to make it to the NFL. Him being there and him knowing what an NFL receiver looks like, how they train and what they look for, it plays a huge part in my recruitment. Same thing with (Steve Sarkisian) being in the NFL and having the awesome team he has."

On Texas A&M - "The culture at A&M is crazy with (receivers coach Dameyune Craig) and (Jimbo Fisher). Coach Fisher likes two-sport athletes, he actually went to college on a baseball scholarship. Me and him have had some great conversations about football and what they have to offer at A&M."

No. 7 - Yuck ...

What a difference a week makes.

Seven days ago, the concern was that the Longhorns didn't finish off a sweep of Baylor, thus giving themselves some breathing room at the top of the Big 12 standing.

Fast forward to Sunday evening and the Longhorns not only no longer have a lead from first place to protect, but the Longhorns are suddenly stuck in the middle of the Big 12 pack with an 8-7 conference record. Maybe you can't win a conference title in a single weekend, but it sure feels like the three-game home sweep at the hands of former last-place Oklahoma this weekend might have cost the Longhorns the title.

It's probably too early to say such a thing with the Big 12 being the difference between second-place and eighth-place being merely two games in the loss column, but the margin of error moving forward is going to be minimal. You have to wonder what this weekend will have cost the team in the way of post-season plans.

With suddenly vulnerable TCU on deck in Ft. Worth next weekend, the Longhorns simply need to get back to winning more games than they are losing. With nine conference games remaining against at TCU, at Kansas and at home against West Virginia, anything less than taking 6 out of 9 games will probably mean that Texas came up short in its quest of a Big 12 title.

No. 8 – BUY or SELL …

BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) I'm going to say that it takes one, but not two. That being said, I think we can expect quite a few Portals out in the two windows that follow the current one. At some point, the rubber will meet the road for a number of these players.

(Buy) Of course. Massive.

(Sell) No, I don't believe that is going to happen. Here's hoping it happens with one of them.

(Sell) Don't count me out at all.

(Buy) Here's my No. 3 right now behind Kelvin Banks and Christian Jones. Hayden Conner would be my fourth. I'm totally open-minded about No. 5.

(Buy) 100-percent.

(Buy) ;)

(Sell) It happens everywhere and everyone is guilty of it to some degree. Welcome to 2023 College Football.

(Sell) Collins played 75% of his snaps from the spring game at the position that Carter is coming into play. The other 25-percent was played at the strong-side end spot.

(Sell) Arch Manning is going to start in 2024.

(Sell) I gave this question about 5 minutes of consideration.

(Sell) Those are two of the top 5 coaches in the history of their sport. Good luck finding someone in their tier.

(Sell) The first offensive line pick in last year's NFL Draft was Ikem Ekwonu, who is 6-4. Kenyon Green is 6-4 and went No. 15 overall in last year's draft and Green isn't nearly as good as Banks.

(Buy) I think they believe this team is about to go boom. No reason to blink now.

(Buy) If this doesn't turn around by next season...

(Sell) I think Sark is serious about doing whatever he needs to do and that changes from situation to situation. Xavier Worthy was in the Portal last year (although it never went public) and Texas did everything it had to do to make sure Worthy stayed. If Jaylan Ford went into the Portal tomorrow, I would expect him to 100-percent be welcomed back. Same with a number of other players on the roster. Overall, the Pivot interview was fine. I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

No. 9 - Scattershooting on anything and everything ...

... The Longhorns finally struck gold on Sunday night on the transfer front. The commitment of Kadin Shedrick does the following...

1. Gets everyone to relax a little. Texas fans were starting to act like 35-year old virgins.

2. Really improves the Texas front court. Add Shedrick's commitment with the announced return of Dylan Disu and you can see a very long frontcourt, especially when you add in 6-8 Ron Holland.

3. Really improves the Texas defense for the upcoming season.

It was a good Sunday for Rodney Terry and Texas Basketball..

... Lots of buzz coming out OU's spring game over true freshmen (DB) Peyton Bowen and (QB) Jackson Arnold. So far, so good for the two best freshmen in the OU 2023 recruiting class.

xfkehgjms83jpkwzpfua

... Reese Atwood had herself a week with three consecutive walk-off winners in three consecutive games.

... Speaking of Texas softball, the Longhorns swept No. 3 Oklahoma State this weekend, which pushed UT’s current Big 12 win streak to five games, with the team winning eight of its last nine Big 12 games since running into Oklahoma at the beginning of the month.

... Kody Clemens hit his first career homer in the National League as a member of the Phillies on Sunday. Attaboy, Kody.

... Alabama quarterbacks Jalen Milroe and Ty Simpson both left a lot to be desired on Saturday in the Alabama spring game. If you're going to beat Alabama on the road this season, getting them very early on the calendar might be just the ticket to get you there.

... Alabama's five-star running back Justice Haynes looks like he's an incredible player just waiting to happen.

... Colorado had nearly 50,000 show up for its spring game on Saturday. Kudos to Deion. That is not an easy thing to pull off in Boulder.

... I will be more than ok with Dallas taking Bijan Robinson in the Draft. He has Hall of Fame upside. Let's not overthink all of this.

... Make the trade for Lamar Jackson, Texans ... none of these college quarterbacks in this class have me thinking they are sure things. Lamar is a sure thing.

... The Sixers are less than a week away from facing the Celtics in a best of 7. Come on, Joel. Get healthy.

... Golden State/Memphis is proving to be appointment viewing.

... Fellas, Austin FC is not a good team. It feels like we all took sports cocaine last season with that group and now we're in for the hard-core hangover.

... Man City is heating up late in the season. They almost have the glow.

No. 10 - The List: Top 10 Taylor Swift songs ...

Consider the following ...

a. She just toured through the state of Texas
b. Tickets were going for bazillions.
c. It will irk a few people.

Why the hell wouldn't I do an updated Top 10 list of the one and only Taylor Swift?

Let's get to it!

10. Anti-Hero

I might be underrating some of her newest stuff, but I'll have to learn to live with myself.

9. Delicate

A fan favorite.

8. Cardigan

Feels like it needed to be on the list somewhere.

7. Teardrops on my Guitar

Might be the most underrated song she's written. I can't believe I just typed those words.

6. Back to December

Taylor's first apology song, reportedly directed toward ex-flame Taylor Lautner.

5. Shake it off

This song has more than 463,000,000 views on YouTube. Let that sink in for a moment.

4. All Too Well

Has crept up the list over the years.

3. Love Story

A lot of people would slot this song in the No. 1 spot because it's kind of her signature song, but not this guy. It'll have to settle for the bronze.

2. Blank Space

Yes this might be Taylor Swift attempting to do a Lorde-ish song, but I haven't been able to get it out of my head for weeks.

1. You Belong With Me

The ending of the video appears to have been inspired by the movie Teen Wolf, which was enough for me to put it in the No. 1 spot
Great read. Ready for the week.

Reactions: Ketchum
I find it somewhat amusing that people are taking victory laps after one decent transfer pickup

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT