ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The bottom of the roster...)

Yeah I’ve heard that—just didn’t know it was her. That’s the kind of song nine year old girls roller skate to.
Yep Yes GIF by GEICO

Reactions: KatyKid
Great stuff. Thanks, Ketch.
I thought Burke took over the first team buck in the spring?
What about the idea that, perhaps more than any other position, you need to be able to rotate defensive tackles to keep them fresh so they can go balls to the wall as much as possible. That seems like a great pitch to get trill to come here. That can just point to the tackles going to the nfl after last season.

Great stuff. Thanks, Ketch.
I thought Burke took over the first team buck in the spring?
What about the idea that, perhaps more than any other position, you need to be able to rotate defensive tackles to keep them fresh so they can go balls to the wall as much as possible. That seems like a great pitch to get trill to come here. That can just point to the tackles going to the nfl after last season.
Burke did.

He’s one of the best special teams players on the team, he’s a situational STARTER. He doesn’t belong in the “bottom of the roster” conversation. I recognize you went off of 2-deep, I’m telling you that’s an incorrect barometer at least for Keilan. Remind me who the staff force fed in the bowl game? The guy will make an NFL roster and be a career situational / utility + ST guy. Sign me up for the that bottom dweller tag lol.

As for Collins/Broughton, again I just disagree and see the rotation at DL playing out very differently than you do and historical snap distribution on the interior tells us that.

My projected DL 2-deep:

SDE - Sorrell / Collins
NT - Sweat / Carter
DT - Murphy / Broughton
WDE - Burke / Finkley OR Tapp

1.) I think Carter was brought in to allow Collins to bump outside and shore up the DE rotation. I think that gives that staff the flexibility to go with a heavy 4-DL look w/ Sorrel bumping to WDE. At 6’-6”Alfred has a long frame and he Carrie’s his weight really well; IMO he’s always been better suited to play outside. He got Alex Okafor’d IMO.

2.) In 2022, through the KU game (@Alex Dunlap has taken the Baylor DD charts down), the interior DL rotation / snap distribution went like this:

Sweat = 367 (22%)
Coburn (GONE) = 337 (20%)
Murphy = 296 (17%)
Ojomo (GONE) = 279 (16%)
Broughton = 210 (12%)
Collins = 195 (11%)
Bryant + Ross = 22 (1%)

Broughton was already 5th in line for snaps, 2 guys left, 1 new guy came in. I still see him in the top 4 interior DL guys in the rotation which means he’s going to get a 15-16% snap share… that’s the difference between playing 33 snaps per game (Sweat ‘22) vs 25 (4th DT Ojomo ‘22). C’mon man!
What do u mean about taking the Baylor charts down?

What do u mean about taking the Baylor charts down?
They don’t show up in your OP DD following the Baylor game; they’re still there for the post KU write up. The charts/pictures are all red Xs where the images used to be. The Ku DD is still up and this charts are still there. the data through the ku game sufficiently made my point though; through 11 games the utilization was relatively balanced across the top 4 players in that room. From an average snaps per game standpoint your #1 DT was playing 33 snaps and the 4th was playing 25. Is there a Deep Dig archive? There should be.

Last edited:
Never heard the song either. It’s easy if you have no kids and let the nieces and nephews know their Christmas and birthday gifts are dependent on me controlling the music played lol! I listened to it, and I don’t see the talent in which you speak of. She is a marketing genius to be sure, but musical, just don’t see or hear it.

Never heard the song either. It’s easy if you have no kids and let the nieces and nephews know their Christmas and birthday gifts are dependent on me controlling the music played lol! I listened to it, and I don’t see the talent in which you speak of. She is a marketing genius to be sure, but musical, just don’t see or hear it.
What's the newest music you listen to?

How do you know. Were you at all of the practices?
I attended multiple practices. We checked in with sources after every practice. I also reported this on Thursday:

"Murphy took over the spotlight that was on Arch Manning after he completed 9-of-13 passes for 165 yards and one touchdown during the spring game. Everyone inside the building was enthusiastic about Murphy’s performance.

"I was told in addition to having a big-time arm, Murphy has a natural feel for the passing game. The areas that impressed many people are Murphy’s anticipation, throwing window ability, match-up recognition, and velocity on throws. Those are traits that were on display throughout the spring.

"Another aspect of Murphy that has so many people giddy is his leadership ability. One person told me Murphy’s personality is “infectious.” He is a player who players
on the team love. In addition, Murphy was described as a great teammate this week."

That's how I know. Any other questions?

Reactions: Horn19
I attended multiple practices. We checked in with sources after every practice. I also reported this on Thursday:

"Murphy took over the spotlight that was on Arch Manning after he completed 9-of-13 passes for 165 yards and one touchdown during the spring game. Everyone inside the building was enthusiastic about Murphy’s performance.

"I was told in addition to having a big-time arm, Murphy has a natural feel for the passing game. The areas that impressed many people are Murphy’s anticipation, throwing window ability, match-up recognition, and velocity on throws. Those are traits that were on display throughout the spring.

"Another aspect of Murphy that has so many people giddy is his leadership ability. One person told me Murphy’s personality is “infectious.” He is a player who players
on the team love. In addition, Murphy was described as a great teammate this week."

That's how I know. Any other questions?
ron burgundy GIF

Reactions: cammac88
Yeah I’ve heard that—just didn’t know it was her. That’s the kind of song nine year old girls roller skate to.
That was 4 minutes I'll never get back. Sounds like B. Spears with a better voice.

Based on what?
his play in the spring game, supposedly made big gains in weight room and is more explosive. and reports from spring practice that claim he is playing his best football since he arrived on campus.

his play in the spring game, supposedly made big gains in weight room and is more explosive. and reports from spring practice that claim he is playing his best football since he arrived on campus.
I think that's all just noise. 🤷‍♂️

Acquiring Lamar Jackson would solve the Texans quarterback issues for the next several years.

But it would end the Texans current advantage of having some salary cap to build the rest of the roster. If a team can hit on a rookie quarterback, there is still a window to build the whole team. Once a team has to devote 40 % of its salary cap to a star QB, things get difficult.

Acquiring Lamar Jackson would solve the Texans quarterback issues for the next several years.

But it would end the Texans current advantage of having some salary cap to build the rest of the roster. If a team can hit on a rookie quarterback, there is still a window to build the whole team. Once a team has to devote 40 % of its salary cap to a star QB, things get difficult.
Do you trust the Texans to do it the hard way?

Do you trust the Texans to do it the hard way?
They have not earned anyone's trust yet.

But they have certainly made progress from being a horribly run organization over the last few years.

The cancer that was Bill O'Brien is gone. The cancer that was Jack Easterby is gone. The cancer that was DeSean Watson is gone and the Texans got some considerable return as they got rid of him.

Nick Caserio had a pretty good reputation as a general manager for the Patriots. Franchise rebuild from the disaster left by O'Brien is still in early stages. No explanation for the two previous coaches (unless you were trying to save money while in the tanking phase of the rebuild?) but Ryans figures to be solid as a HC. Jury is out on how well the two of them will work together. You don't have to have a great owner, you just don't want to have a horrible interfering owner (think Snyder). With Easterby gone, hopefully Kal McNair can rise to be the level of a non-involved owner.

This draft, when Texans have extra draft capital will tell a lot. Almost any choice will be okay for the 1st round pick except Tyree Wilson.

He’s one of the best special teams players on the team, he’s a situational STARTER. He doesn’t belong in the “bottom of the roster” conversation. I recognize you went off of 2-deep, I’m telling you that’s an incorrect barometer at least for Keilan. Remind me who the staff force fed in the bowl game? The guy will make an NFL roster and be a career situational / utility + ST guy. Sign me up for the that bottom dweller tag lol.

As for Collins/Broughton, again I just disagree and see the rotation at DL playing out very differently than you do and historical snap distribution on the interior tells us that.

My projected DL 2-deep:

SDE - Sorrell / Collins
NT - Sweat / Carter
DT - Murphy / Broughton
WDE - Burke / Finkley OR Tapp

1.) I think Carter was brought in to allow Collins to bump outside and shore up the DE rotation. I think that gives that staff the flexibility to go with a heavy 4-DL look w/ Sorrel bumping to WDE. At 6’-6”Alfred has a long frame and he Carrie’s his weight really well; IMO he’s always been better suited to play outside. He got Alex Okafor’d IMO.

2.) In 2022, through the KU game (@Alex Dunlap has taken the Baylor DD charts down), the interior DL rotation / snap distribution went like this:

Sweat = 367 (22%)
Coburn (GONE) = 337 (20%)
Murphy = 296 (17%)
Ojomo (GONE) = 279 (16%)
Broughton = 210 (12%)
Collins = 195 (11%)
Bryant + Ross = 22 (1%)

Broughton was already 5th in line for snaps, 2 guys left, 1 new guy came in. I still see him in the top 4 interior DL guys in the rotation which means he’s going to get a 15-16% snap share… that’s the difference between playing 33 snaps per game (Sweat ‘22) vs 25 (4th DT Ojomo ‘22). C’mon man!
Bump

Reactions: horns--21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT