ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The. Cold. Hard. Truth.)

While Omaha or bust sounds nice, it isn’t realistic to make it every season and that goes for everyone not just us. Maybe 1/4 seasons. The math says we make Omaha once every 3.5 seasons
Is that good enough?

Is it too much for a guy to ask to get some Murphy stats from his first two games? It keeps coming up as some vague reference to his struggles, but there’s no context to the conversation.

Attachments

• 03656DFE-FECB-4C7A-86A8-21F1015E9C96_4_5005_c.jpeg
    03656DFE-FECB-4C7A-86A8-21F1015E9C96_4_5005_c.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: McGuapo
Beverly Hills Cop 3 could have easily made the list in retrospect.

Thoughts on Ted 2. Not that Ted 1 was a masterpiece. At Ted 2 I walked out of Alamo and had to ask for my tab.
Never watched Ted 2.

I'm not sure I knew there was one and I liked the original.

Coleman getting into foul trouble threw off the entire game IMO. They never quite got over the mess that created.
I agree 100% with this assessment! Loss of his leadership for many minutes impacted the whole team. When he did return he was too tentative.
Back in the old days one SWC coach was quoted as saying that he could go over to Gregory gym and recruit a competitive team from the pick-up games. With the 6% rule this is probably no longer the case.

No. 5 - Maalik Murphy's second game ...

No one wants to admit it, but there is a similarity in Maalik Murphy and former Texas quarterback Tyrone Swoopes that cannot be ignored - both lack the kind of quality game reps in volume that you'd prefer in a quarterback prospect at the same stage of their junior seasons.

There is a similarity, biggest difference is the situation.

Sark is his own OC/QB coach, as opposed to Mack & Charlie. So Tyrone ended up with Shawn Watson coaching the heart of his career - with predictable results.

Sark is getting paid because of his QB knowledge. Mack & Charlie were not. Sark thinks Murphy is special.

There is a similarity, biggest difference is the situation.

Sark is his own OC/QB coach, as opposed to Mack & Charlie. So Tyrone ended up with Shawn Watson coaching the heart of his career - with predictable results.

Sark is getting paid because of his QB knowledge. Mack & Charlie were not. Sark thinks Murphy is special.
Oh, I said nothing about the dynamics once they show up on campus. No doubt, it's night and day from there. ;)

Reactions: prohias
Last 25 years is an interesting time frame to use. Lol. It includes six from Shaka and last 6 of Barnes. In other words nearly half of that 25 is 6 from our worst coach in 35 years, and the worst 6 from Barnes. Lol

Huh? How is that a weird time frame. It also includes all of Barnes good years.

Huh? How is that a weird time frame. It also includes all of Barnes good years.

Because it also leaves out Penders first 8 years. I mean, if we're having a reasonable conversation about the expectations of Texas basketball in the modern era, it makes sense that Penders elevated the program out of the doldrums, Barnes took it a higher level, and Shaka was hired to get it back on track relatively and go beyond Barnes. In other words, makes sense to properly frame the last 33 seasons of Texas basketball, not conveniently limit it to 25 years, when half of those don't really come close to representing what Texas basketball should be.

Reactions: cruelbutfair
He can't afford it with a coach that will know nothing of him except what he sees in practice.

I feel you and I know where you're coming from, but it's easy to forget James Brown only started because Shea Morenz got hurt.

Sark watched the Alamo bowl, and I am sure he has seen the spring games, and UTEP film as well. Not sure how a guy that threw six TD’s last year in 12 completions, in actual games, has more to prove than a guy who has completed one pass in three attempts for 5 yards in actual game settings. If anyone has something to prove, it’s Card.

I don't know what to make of the current Deshaun Watson situation. How can a team trade for him right now? How can the Texans expect to get any real value? Or does none of it matter in an NFL world where anything short of murder can be easily forgiven for the right guy.
Think about Ray Lewis. The season after his involvement in a murder, he won the Super Bowl MVP. Everyone looked the other way because he was not charged/convicted though his involvement (to some extent) was pretty clear.

Because it also leaves out Penders first 8 years. I mean, if we're having a reasonable conversation about the expectations of Texas basketball in the modern era, it makes sense that Penders elevated the program out of the doldrums, Barnes took it a higher level, and Shaka was hired to get it back on track relatively and go beyond Barnes. In other words, makes sense to properly frame the last 33 seasons of Texas basketball, not conveniently limit it to 25 years, when half of those don't really come close to representing what Texas basketball should be.

Fair enough. But 25 years is not an uncommon time frame to use. It's quite a long time in the sports world. Is 1990 really considered modern sports? It's not like Ketchum limited it to the last 10 years.

- Your points about Shaka were very valid. Well done.

- Greg Brown III may not be ready for the NBA, but that probably won't prevent him from leaving.

- Jeff Banks is definitely going to love that TE room. It is stacked with talent #FreeJaredWiley

- Rocky V was terrible. A street fight? It was so bad.

Fair enough. But 25 years is not an uncommon time frame to use. It's quite a long time in the sports world. Is 1990 really considered modern sports? It's not like Ketchum limited it to the last 10 years.

In the world of CBB, yes, 1990 is considered modern era. NCAA tourney was well into it's current 64 team tourney format. Coach K is considered the greatest CBB HC in the modern era and he's still around and doing pretty damn good. Thirty years ago Duke beat Kansas for the national title. Roy Williams was coaching Kansas and he's still around doing pretty dang well at Carolina.

Reactions: 2EggMcMuffins
@Ketchum please stop with the excuses for Shaka. He is what he is. Period.

giphy.gif

I agree 100% with this assessment! Loss of his leadership for many minutes impacted the whole team. When he did return he was too tentative.
Back in the old days one SWC coach was quoted as saying that he could go over to Gregory gym and recruit a competitive team from the pick-up games. With the 6% rule this is probably no longer the case.
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree here. We started each half off with a couple of really good offensive possessions, then started dribbling a lot and standing around. We did it in the first without Coleman in, we did it in the second half when he was back, and we have done it pretty much every game for 6 years.

We did not seek out and exploit mismatches, against a team where we had mismatches galore. We did nothing to take advantage of our superior length and athleticism. We did nothing to make their defense work harder at all. Instead we dribbled around, keeping the ball on the ground where their midget guards could reach it, then played hero ball for the last 8 seconds of most possessions. We had our best mismatch player (Kai Jones) floating around the 3 point line where his length was actually kind of a disadvantage. We did not bench guys (ahem, Ramey) who were absolute liabilities. We absolutely allowed ACU to dictate the style and pace of this game, even though that was the only way they had a chance to win.

All of this happened with Coleman in, just as much as it happened without him. It has happened for six damn years.

And yes, even today you could probably grab a pickup team out of Gregory that (with coaching) would beat ACU.

I feel terrible for Coleman, even more so because he blamed himself after the game. This loss is 100% squarely on Shaka and the coaching staff. The game should never even have been close.

Reactions: I Hear Voices
- Your points about Shaka were very valid. Well done.

- Greg Brown III may not be ready for the NBA, but that probably won't prevent him from leaving.

- Jeff Banks is definitely going to love that TE room. It is stacked with talent #FreeJaredWiley

- Rocky V was terrible. A street fight? It was so bad.

Greg Brown is 100% not even close to ready for the NBA. And you are 100% correct that it won't keep him from leaving.

1) He will get better coaching/development in the G-League than he ever would with Shaka.

2) He and Shaka were clearly not on the same page at the end of the season.

3) Regardless of his complete lack of a skill set offensively, he has athleticism you can't teach and some team will likely take a flyer on him in the back half of round 1. I highly doubt he passes on that.

4) If he stays and his skill set doesn't develop under Shaka (likely), he will have even more film showing he isn't worthy of a 1st round pick and would actually hurt his draft stock further than he already did this year.

In short, he is gone.

It's hard to compare the SWC era to the Big 12 era. Penders basically coached a mid major and was always mostly treated as such by the committee. He was a single digit-seed only three times and n ever once higher than 5th in the Tournament.

I know you think you've thought this out more than anyone else all the time, but after consideration of how far the timeline should be, it felt difficult to contextualize regular seasons in the SWC that sometimes only included three good teams in them with the history of the Big 12.

Reactions: bowskis55
I'm gonna go ahead and disagree here. We started each half off with a couple of really good offensive possessions, then started dribbling a lot and standing around. We did it in the first without Coleman in, we did it in the second half when he was back, and we have done it pretty much every game for 6 years.

We did not seek out and exploit mismatches, against a team where we had mismatches galore. We did nothing to take advantage of our superior length and athleticism. We did nothing to make their defense work harder at all. Instead we dribbled around, keeping the ball on the ground where their midget guards could reach it, then played hero ball for the last 8 seconds of most possessions. We had our best mismatch player (Kai Jones) floating around the 3 point line where his length was actually kind of a disadvantage. We did not bench guys (ahem, Ramey) who were absolute liabilities. We absolutely allowed ACU to dictate the style and pace of this game, even though that was the only way they had a chance to win.

All of this happened with Coleman in, just as much as it happened without him. It has happened for six damn years.

And yes, even today you could probably grab a pickup team out of Gregory that (with coaching) would beat ACU.

I feel terrible for Coleman, even more so because he blamed himself after the game. This loss is 100% squarely on Shaka and the coaching staff. The game should never even have been close.
I think ACUs physicality had a lot to do with Kai Jones floating out to the 3 pt line. Sims is about the only one it didn't affect it seemed. The guards didn't get in the lane and didn't create shots at all. Just pass the ball around the perimeter and shoot bad shots. There you go in a nutshell.

Or does none of it matter in an NFL world where anything short of murder can be easily forgiven for the right guy.
Murder matters? Ray Lewis says hello
... The Rockets have lost 20 straight. Hey, if you're going to suck...really suck. Watch out, T-Wolves!
they play twice this week. Watching Silas' press availability last night tells me that he needs to win a game this week. If the Rockets don't win this week I'm not sure how they will win one again this year, sure they will but how?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT