ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The important attaboy that Tom Herman and staff deserve)

Shane needs to take 18 hours a semester and find a way to graduate in May, 2019.

That way he can red-shirt next year at UT instead of red-shirting at another school, and he will be one play away from being the starter at UT. If he never gets the starting job back at UT, then he can move on as a graduate transfer with two years left to play.

I like Heard a lot but it's Herman's job to win FB games. Assuming Shane transfers, our team has a better shot at winning games with Heard as a backup QB, AND A CHANGE OF PACE QB, than we do rolling him out at WR and taking snaps away from RHM, LJR and CJ. I appreciate all he's given to the program but I think Heard could have a better chance of making an impact next year as a backup QB and one who gets 2-3 drives a game where he comes in to run his own package of plays. I think if Herman had Heard for an offseason to work with at QB, he could recapture a little of the CAL magic he displayed a few years ago.
I think Herman gets how unfair the requests have been for him. He's already given to the team over himself this season and I don't think Herman does it to him next year.

Shane needs to take 18 hours a semester and find a way to graduate in May, 2019.

That way he can red-shirt next year at UT instead of red-shirting at another school, and he will be one play away from being the starter at UT. If he never gets the starting job back at UT, then he can move on as a graduate transfer with two years left to play.

This is the way UT keeps their own -- not talking about transfer but some way to stay a Longhorn and enjoy his sports career. Not the constant "if/when Shane transfers" all over this board.

I think he was applying this definition of anticipation:

"the act of looking forward; especially pleasurable expectation "
One can anticipate something without it being pleasurable. I certainly don't generally use that word in only a pleasurable way. I use it in the context of preparation.

Maybe I should have used the word "expecting".

Oxford Dictionary: anticipate: Look forward to.
Funk & Wagnalls: anticipate: To look forward to. foresee. expect. cherish expectation
Vocabulary.com: anticipate: look forward to the probable occurrence of

I just think it is interesting that you are looking forward to the probable occurrence of Chris Warren not playing his senior year here at The University of Texas. That's all.

One can anticipate something without it being pleasurable. I certainly don't generally use that word in only a pleasurable way. I use it in the context of preparation.

Maybe I should have used the word "expecting".

Ok. It's just unusual for you not to be a master of the words you use. You are usually very literate with your choice of words. I'll cease and desist. You only expect him to leave. That is not as interesting.

Ok. It's just unusual for you not to be a master of the words you use. You are usually very literate with your choice of words. I'll cease and desist. You only expect him to leave. That is not as interesting.
Funk & Wagnalls: anticipate: To look forward to. foresee. expect. cherish expectation

The tackling of the defense has really improved through season, not many missed tackles in space has been a huge reason for staying in close games.

Reactions: txfight
I was going to leave this alone until well you went and did that Ketch.

1st things first: I'm a huge Liverpool fan (Ricky Fowler is my second favourite player of all time. Roy Keane being my all time favourite player).

That being said, the Salah and Messi comparison is pure and utter non-sense, and bragging about making said comparison because a small sample of a very young BPL season plays out in your favour is well...I'll let others decide what to call that but nothing flattering comes to mind.

To that end:
Messi is the greatest of all time. Its not Pele. Its not Maradona. Not Ronaldo. Not Beckenbauer (or a host of other greats I can think of). Its Messi.

To illustrate let's take a brief sampling of the incredible treasure chest of awards Messi has won:
- 5 Ballon D'Or (4 of them consecutively)
- Fifa Player of the Year
- 6 La Liga Player of the Year Awards
- 8 La Liga Ttitles
- An incredible 4 Champions League Titles

Mo Salah isn't even the best player on his team (its Continho), much less in club history (its up for some debate, but, I'd again offer Fowler for said recognition). Much less in England. Much less in Europe. So on and so forth. Messi is the greatest Barca has ever seen (which is really saying something), the greatest Spain has ever seen (again, that is really saying something), and his incredible rampage through European competitions is one for the ages.

Mo Salah? To date, he's won a few league games (maybe a man of the match in one of them), and depending on the matchup (and what's bouncing around Klopp's head) he may not start.

Salah doesn't belong in the same article as Messi. Much less the same paragraph. Putting them in the same sentence? Pure blasphemy.

This comparison is like suggesting a 15 day contract NBA player who has put together a recent streak is "Jordan'esque". It doesn't work as metaphor, analogy, or comparison on any level. We're not talking LeBron vs Jordan here, we're talking JAG vs GOAT. If Salah was to continue this streak over the rest of the league table? Still galaxy's away from even being in a discussion with Messi. Harry Kane went nuts in the premiership last year yet Messi comparisons would have gotten you laughed out of every pub in North London.

Totally applaud your emerging love of the game, and fairly interested to hear your premiership thoughts (kinda...I really enjoy more the discussion it evokes); however, taking a 12 game sample and coming away with a "Salah is Messi like" comparison? Well its probably time to put the ego back in check and show some deference to those "old heads" your "schooling" because they are playing chess and you're playing checkers.

I'll hang up and listen now.

I was trying to be polite in my response to Ketch's Salah blabber. Your response says it all. Keep watching Ketch, but some perspective is in order.

GGMU.

Btw, for the "football" newbies, it's the players that make all the other players around them better that are really the most important to their teams. Hence, ManU with Pogba, and ManU without Pogba. Also agree that Coutinho is Pool's best player.

I was trying to be polite in my response to Ketch's Salah blabber. Your response says it all. Keep watching Ketch, but some perspective is in order.

GGMU.

Btw, for the "football" newbies, it's the players that make all the other players around them better that are really the most important to their teams. Hence, ManU with Pogba, and ManU without Pogba. Also agree that Coutinho is Pool's best player.
pure nonsense.

Blinded by Unparalleled bias against Beck.
Not at all, its called feel for the game and getting in a rhythm calling the game. Most could see that WVU and their 3-3 stack is built to stop the passing game in the Big 12. With Williams back on the line we were on a roll running the ball, all we needed to do is keep doing what we were doing, running the football.

Its rainy, we were having success, no need to get cute in the red zone on the road, run right at them and the odds were we were going to score and put the game out of reach at that point.

Reactions: TurntOrange
Not at all, its called feel for the game and getting in a rhythm calling the game. Most could see that WVU and their 3-3 stack is built to stop the passing game in the Big 12. With Williams back on the line we were on a roll running the ball, all we needed to do is keep doing what we were doing, running the football.

Its rainy, we were having success, no need to get cute in the red zone on the road, run right at them and the odds were we were going to score and put the game out of reach at that point.
Not a Beck hater for pointing that out.

@Ketch big Champions League matchup today between Pool and Sevilla. Likely determines who wins the group. Always difficult to come out of Spain with points. YNWA!!!
Even a point would be a positive result. Kinda pissed I can't find it on tv anywhere.

The tackling of the defense has really improved through season, not many missed tackles in space has been a huge reason for staying in close games.
This is spot on^

Maybe not as many jarring hits as last year but I've gotten to the point where I love seeing one of those cornerback tackles that is just holding onto the WR's ankles until 10 other guys come to clean up.

Norman thinks he's very cool.:D
This has got to be one of those "... yeah but he's OUR asshole..." feelings. You can't tell me they aren't waiting for him to flame out a la Manziel.

Stewart Mandel had a great tweet about him, "This is really going to affect Mayfield's TD to public apology ratio." (paraphrased)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT