ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The moment Tom Herman truly fell head over heels for Sam...)

You kind of buried the lede with your thoughts on Riley.

That would certainly change the dynamics of this conference.

Reactions: stuxnet
BUY or SELL: Tom Herman needs to find an offensive coordinator to take the play calling pressure off him and to make the offense a bit more creative?

(Sell) If you can find someone that is a better play-caller than Tom Herman, then perhaps he should be the head coach. I want Herman directing and pulling the strings.

I disagree. I'm not one of the "fire Beck" crowd, but Herman has said that he doesn't want to be calling plays. I cringe every time I see him with the play sheet and think he should find an OC who can call a great game and allow Herman to focus on game management.

Reactions: losthorn
Ketch-
On the subject of Ron McKelvey/Weaver, you were not alone in your thinking about his age. His nickname on the team was Grandpa.
Ron was actually a real cool dude. Funny as hell.
I just thought that's the way JUCO guys must look.

@Ketchum

I think your description of the Herman/Ehlinger press conference is some of your best reporting ever...you cut through the obvious pain of the loss to find the clear-cut message for the future. Very impressive in my opinion...there can be great meaning hiding in small moments...
Thanks. I knew as soon as it unfolded, it was going to be my top section.

Reactions: MidTexHorn
I’m rather surprised not more has been said about, as you said, the parallel between the safety on Saturday and the one in 2001. The moment that play happened, it was déjà vu for me and game over, just like in 2001.

Starting this debate early I see.

Could not be any more incorrect and your slippery slope argument does not work here. Cobra is not a Christmas movie because Christmas played no part in the movie, aside from some scenery.

Die Hard: Christmas was the reason John McClain came to visit his wife in LA
Trading Places: Christmas [gifts] was the reason Reggie was confident that Pork Belly Prices would continue to fall on his first day at the office
Lethal Weapon: Christmas is the reason Riggs was so depressed about his wife's death and having Christmas dinner with the Murtaugh family saved his life.

These are but a few examples of the pivotal role Christmas played in these movies.

Let's apply your slippery slope to one of the classics, Its a Wonderful Life. That has nothing at all to do with Christmas, aside from being set during Christmas. Therefore, not a Christmas movie

For such a self avowed student of film, you miss the obvious. Be Better @Ketchum

what's the holiday theme?

Sure they do. They all want to prove it against the best.

It’s a copy cat league with some great coaches and a bunch of non innovations nobodies.

There’s more innovation in college.

what's the holiday theme?
The classic Christmas themes of family and redemption.

Die Hard: John makes up with his wife (and Hans falls off a building)
Lethal Weapon: Riggs becomes part of Murtaugh's family (and they kill Gary Busey)
Trading Places: Reggie and Lewis become close friends (and you get to see Jamie Lee Curtis' bewbs).

Reactions: Change My Name
It’s a copy cat league with some great coaches and a bunch of non innovations nobodies.

There’s more innovation in college.
I think he's going to have his pick of the litter.

The classic Christmas themes of family and redemption.
riiiiiiight.

So because Carl Winslow guns down the brother at the end, it's qualifies as a Christmas movie. Gotcha. I guess Cobra is a Christmas movie, too.

No. 3 - Big 12 Conspiracy Against Texas?

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.

Don't get me wrong, there's no disputing that the best thing that could happen to the Big 12 over the weekend was Oklahoma making the playoff and Texas heading to New Orleans. I'm not pretending that a motive to corrupt the Big 12 Championship Game doesn't exist in a true conspiracy world.

What I don't buy is that the Big 12 offices and the officials that work for it are skilled enough to pull off a conspiracy of game collusion. This is literally a conference that can't successfully manage discussion about what is and isn't a penalty with regards to the inverted Hook'em in the days before the game and I'm supposed to believe that it could create what amounts to successful criminal fraud?

Nope. Not when the co-conspirators would include a group of men that fail to prove on a weekly basis that it can handle the ability of being asked to walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. Seriously, we've complained about the incompetence of Big 12 officials for so long that you'll forgive me if I view what happened on Saturday simply as a continuation of terrible results from a crew that perfected being terrible.

Good grief, these officials reviewed Caden Sterns' interception on Saturday, despite the fact that a penalty occurred, which made the result of the play a moot point. Everyone seemed to know this basic rule of the game except ... wait for it ... the damn officials.

I believe the review concerned the timing of the penalty - had the facemask occurred after the interception, it would be Texas' ball at the 10.

Without coming out in support of a conspiracy theory, I think you have set a straw man counter argument. A conspiracy does not have to be explicitly coordinated, it can be 'understood' and the rewards similarly understood. I offer as evidence the Ok State game a couple of years ago. I thought at least the Big 12 would provide some sense of legitimacy to the paying fans by criticizing/suspending the refs. Instead, they came out in support; what was more disturbing, I believe one of the crew was then hired away by the NFL - I can only conclude he showed the NFL he knew 'how to play ball.'

@joeywa and I have a running list of movies the shit hasn't seen. it's not pretty.
OKVN.gif

riiiiiiight.

So because Carl Winslow guns down the brother at the end, it's qualifies as a Christmas movie. Gotcha. I guess Cobra is a Christmas movie, too.
Thoughts on Home Alone?

I believe the review concerned the timing of the penalty - had the facemask occurred after the interception, it would be Texas' ball at the 10.

Without coming out in support of a conspiracy theory, I think you have set a straw man counter argument. A conspiracy does not have to be explicitly coordinated, it can be 'understood' and the rewards similarly understood. I offer as evidence the Ok State game a couple of years ago. I thought at least the Big 12 would provide some sense of legitimacy to the paying fans by criticizing/suspending the refs. Instead, they came out in support; what was more disturbing, I believe one of the crew was then hired away by the NFL - I can only conclude he showed the NFL he knew 'how to play ball.'
You're describing a crime that would put people in prison, potentially, if ever found out.

riiiiiiight.

See my edit...

clipped here:
Lethal Weapon: Riggs becomes part of Murtaugh's family (and they kill Gary Busey)
Trading Places: Reggie and Lewis become close friends, a prostitute turns her life around and finds love. Come on, this is even in the Bible. (plus you get to see Jamie Lee Curtis' bewbs)

more gut feel. It's obvious he's going to have his pick of a couple of jobs. I think both Green Bay and Cleveland will come calling.

Man, I think you may be right. Was strange how the guy was crying like a titty baby after the game and then throwing the Horns down was a ballsy move. Makes sense now if the joker is gone.

See my edit...

clipped here:
Trading Places: Reggie and Lewis become close friends, a prostitute turns her life around and finds love. Come on, this is even in the Bible. (plus you get to see Jamie Lee Curtis' bewbs)
a. It's a terrorist movie taking place at Christmas.

b. o_O

c. Biggest stretch of them all. The key part of the movie is New Year's eve.

definite Christmas movie.
Maybe I need to rewatch, but what exactly is the Christmas theme? They forgot their kid when they went on vacation and feel bad because it’s Christmas?

ADVERTISEMENT