ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The moment Tom Herman truly fell head over heels for Sam...)

A funny but under the radar movie with a Christmas setting is "Just Friends" with Ryan Reynolds and Amy Smart. 2005 I think. Worth a watch.

Interesting read, as always.

My thought was the blitz against 'Bama that resulted in a fumble and basically ended the game. The D had made a stop and I thought Texas would go the length of the field and win the game. Had the same feeling when Texas recovered the fumble. In both instances, the guy was all by himself and the QB should have noticed him. But in both cases, eyes were focused away from him and the QV never saw him. Game ovah.

I guess the NFL would take Riley, but with only 2 years as HC under his belt, seems a bit risky.

I'd like to think that Texas will be in the championship game next year, but there are a LOT of holes to fill. Relatedly, hoping Sterns does not need surgery - will never understand how a guy can have a season ending knee injury yet be allowed to walk back to the dressing room.

I was in New Orleans for the '95 Sugar Bowl. What was a Hokie? What was a Ron McKelvey? How did we lose that game?

Texas men's basketball, Shaka style, is... well... hopeless? Helpless? Not sure what the word is, but certainly disappointing. There's been a lot of talent come through during his tenure with little to show for it. I was really excited about the hire -- not so much now.

Die Hard has a Christmas song at the end, has a dead guy wearing an elf hat, a Christmas tree, Christmas party sex going on, snowing out, and Twinkies. Sounds pretty Christmas-like to me. I jest, sort of.

Hook 'em!!!
a. Good call on the Bama blitz.

b. Riley has developed Baker and Kyler in back to back tries. The NFL is drooling.

c. The Chris Carter interception that wasn't changed the entire 95 Sugar Bowl..

To be a Christmas movie 2 things are required.

1. Someone has a change of heart.
2. A Christmas miracle.

Gremlins counts because Phoebe Cates (fully clothed) is the Scrooge figure due to her Dad's death, changes after the ordeal.

The Christmas miracle (as if destroying a town full of killer gremlins isnt enough) is the reverse Santa figure, the chinese dealer appears out of nowhere to take Mowgwai/Gizmo back home. This sets everything back to how it should be.

Die Hard almost counts because there is a change of heart. John and Holly get back together. However, there is no deus ex machina/ Christmas miracle in this movie. That.is supplanted by just plain badassery. But in the end, no miracle,.no Christmas movie.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
If Texas loses to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and ends up behind a&m in the final rankings you don't think dumbo and his merry men will hammer that point to 2020 recruits?

Not saying it's a valid point, but many of these recruits don't see the forest for the trees.
Nope. I think that's the kind of thing fans think about that isn't really a factor, like head to head game matchups.

For someone who likes to champion themselves as a SJW, feminist and guy who generally thinks men are bad people, you really gave Adonis Stevenson a blurb in your column. That is fcking rich.

Get well, women beater and human trafficker.

a. I can't say I know about any of that.

b. He was knocked into a coma this weekend.

So, yeah...

It’s funny that when Riley was hired, soooo many on this site predicted his failure. Now everyone is gitty/pops up their heads like gophers after Ketch just makes a gut prediction that he might bolt to the NFL.

Classic.
Fans gonna fan.

In the column,at first you said theres a lot of downside to playing Georgia versus a more winnable lower tier bowl game. Then later you said there is no recruiting downside to playing in this game.

My question... if there is no recruiting downside (and I agree with that), whats the downside at all of playing in this game even if its a loss?
just getting your ass kicked.

Kirk, is that you?

You're Kirk Bohls, aren't you?

You sly devil, Kirk. It's you!

Those are some really messed up opinions with a whole lotta sooner love. No thinking man would ever have Murray as a Heisman leader. Huepel as a heisman runner up, Jason White as a heisman winner, Sam Bradford as a heisman winner, Mayfield as a heisman winner, Murray as a heisman winner. All system QBs who weren't and won't be shit in the NFL. You'd think the media would learn by now, but you have zero excuse. OU sucks, why haven't you figured that out by now?
k?

Great points on the Horns. Congrats on the Pool match--crazy finish. Not sure which club was better today, but Everton is an improving squad. Arsenal Tott match was one of the best of the year as far as feeling the passion and Arsenal is for real. Keep walking with somebody. As for my EPL dreams, still waiting for the axe to fall in Manchester.
Everton fans seems like Aggies. They fired off blue pyros onto the field right before the goal was scored because they thought they had a draw.

Kinda perfect.

Reactions: MidTexHorn and pied
BUY or SELL: The Big 12 will do absolutely nothing about football refs during the off season?

(Buy) Duh.
Too much blood, sweat, tears, and money are invested by everyone involved to win a college football game. For the outcome to be regularly affected by incompetence, corruption, or even on the whim of an official cannot be tolerated without someone being held accountable.

If accountability is thrown out the window, then we have to ask what's the point in playing the game? To be clear, I'm not referencing random missed calls. They happen. But when a pattern of 'missed calls' develops primarily on game changing plays like TD's, turnovers, long yardage plays, or first downs then they will continue to occur until an authoritative source steps in and puts an end to it.

The analogy of Tom looking at Sam as a "woman wearing a fresh engagement ring" is a pretty weird one.

If anything, given Sam's history, I would imagine their relationship is more father/son like and Herman was outwardly emoting feelings of a proud father sort.
Don't overthink it. He was glowing. That's the point.

Green Bay and Cleveland make a lot of sense for Lincoln Riley. There will be other NFL jobs that come open too. But I bet he stays at OU too.

I think what’s more likely to happen than Riley leaving is Kyler Murray playing QB in 2019. No seems to know how his deal with the A’s is actually structured. If he played football next year would he have to return a portion of his signing bonus? Or would the A’s be okay with him playing in 2019? They wouldn’t be “okay” with it even if they allowed him to play football.
The A's ain't gonna be ok with that. Just me common sense read on that relationship.

I’m not sure why the comparison is made to romantic love rather than that of fatherly love. @Ketchum i think you are kind of missing the point.
And you might be overthinking it. There's no suggestion that either of them have the hots for the other. The metaphor I used described the glow a person has in a moment.

Too much blood, sweat, tears, and money are invested by everyone involved to win a college football game. For the outcome to be regularly affected by incompetence, corruption, or even on the whim of an official cannot be tolerated without someone being held accountable.

If accountability is thrown out the window, then we have to ask what's the point in playing the game? To be clear, I'm not referencing random missed calls. They happen. But when a pattern of 'missed calls' develops primarily on game changing plays like TD's, turnovers, long yardage plays, or first downs then they will continue to occur until an authoritative source steps in and puts an end to it.
The Big 12 is counting too much money right now to care about your feelings about the officials.

BUY or SELL: Tom Herman needs to find an offensive coordinator to take the play calling pressure off him and to make the offense a bit more creative?
(Sell) If you can find someone that is a better play-caller than Tom Herman, then perhaps he should be the head coach. I want Herman directing and pulling the strings.

Herman can still call plays, but he needs to upgrade his offensive braintrust with someone who can augment his existing system with new wrinkles. This is still an offense that didn't crack 30 points in 7 of the 13 games - and that's in the Big 12. Herman being outcoached by Ruffin McNeil on Saturday was a storyline from the game not being told, but a major reason why OU won.

Reactions: Cure4BizCancer
Herman can still call plays, but he needs to upgrade his offensive braintrust with someone who can augment his existing system with new wrinkles. This is still an offense that didn't crack 30 points in 7 of the 13 games - and that's in the Big 12. Herman being outcoached by Ruffin McNeil on Saturday was a storyline from the game not being told, but a major reason why OU won.
Oh, definite staff upgrades can be made.

... Jalen Hurts coming off the bench to save Alabama's season against Georgia after losing his job in this same match-up 11 months ago is one of the best Disney moments I've seen in college football history. It was damn poetic.

I read on OB that he sux though.

The best part about Friday's loss is that I'm sure very few of us watched any of it, which might as well be the running theme of this season before it's all said and done if things don't turn around, and turn around quickly.

Rest assured there are more clunkers left in this team's tank. My gut tells me we see 1 or 2 more before the calendar turns to 2019.

And you might be overthinking it. There's no suggestion that either of them have the hots for the other. The metaphor I used described the glow a person has in a moment.

I never thought anything weird from your statement.

I think those that did speaks more to their issues than anything else. The homophobia of some folks on here is epic.

And now for those posters to reply to this post denying/defending their posts/slamming mine. 1, 2, 3...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT