ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The moment Tom Herman truly fell head over heels for Sam...)

I think I've replied to everyone that has asked for the Yakk offer. Let me know if I missed you.

@Ketchum You are spot on about the Long Kiss Goodnight, and I get the debate re: Die Hard... but Gremlins is a ****ing Christmas movie no two ways about it. It contains the most haunting Christmas story ever, and is one of the few horror films to successfully place itself into the Christmas story sub genre.

The Big 12 is counting too much money right now to care about your feelings about the officials.
I don’t believe there is organized corruption, and for the reason you have pointed out.

But corruption itself deals with dishonesty, deception, and falsely claiming qualities which you do not possess (fraudulence, which is included in the definition of conspiracy). And it is done by those in a position of power, and it correlated with financial outcomes (as you so elegantly stated in your reply here).

That is corruption. This is what I’ve been wrestling with the last few days. I agree it’s not highly organized, partly because that seems to require more coordination than the B12 seems good at doing, but also for my distaste for claiming ref corruption going back to learning sportsmanship in little league.

But if they are aware there is an issue, and those in power ignore it, allow it to continue, and even more, allow the financial rewards of failing to deal with it to accrue to them—is that not corruption? It fits, literally, the dictionary definition of it.

Reactions: Number-5 and tex17
@Ketchum You are spot on about the Long Kiss Goodnight, and I get the debate re: Die Hard... but Gremlins is a ****ing Christmas movie no two ways about it. It contains the most haunting Christmas story ever, and is one of the few horror films to successfully place itself into the Christmas story sub genre.
You are probably right.

I don’t believe there is organized corruption, and for the reason you have pointed out.

But corruption itself deals with dishonesty, deception, and falsely claiming qualities which you do not possess (fraudulence, which is included in the definition of conspiracy). And it is done by those in a position of power, and it correlated with financial outcomes (as you so elegantly stated in your reply here).

That is corruption. This is what I’ve been wrestling with the last few days. I agree it’s not highly organized, partly because that seems to require more coordination than the B12 seems good at doing, but also for my distaste for claiming ref corruption going back to learning sportsmanship in little league.

But if they are aware there is an issue, and those in power ignore it, allow it to continue, and even more, allow the financial rewards of failing to deal with it to accrue to them—is that not corruption? It fits, literally, the dictionary definition of it.
I promise you that they won't think there's a problem, which in itself is a major problem, perhaps the biggest.

I thought the same about yours, but hey, you busted the caring, considerate person who you label in a mocking way! Win!
Can’t have it both ways, Ketchum. Be better, but seriously, I am surprised you didn’t know that.

Georgia's fake punt will live in infamy. With 10 or 11 yards to go, it never had a ghost of a chance.

Great write up, Ketch.

I will always wonder how Riley would have done without the two Heisman quarterbacks falling in his lap. Not sure how much credit he is due for "developing" them.

Can’t have it both ways, Ketchum. Be better, but seriously, I am surprised you didn’t know that.
a. No one is asking for anything both ways.

b.The dude was in a fight this weekend and was beaten into a coma. My comments were made out of compassion for the situation.

c. After reading his wikipedia page, it seems like he made mistakes in his teenage and early 20s years, paid his time to society and has reshaped his life. Good for him.

Be better, indeed.

I will always wonder how Riley would have done without the two Heisman quarterbacks falling in his lap. Not sure how much credit he is due for "developing" them.
NFL people seem to believe he's due quite a bit.

I prefer to view Herman looking at Ehlinger as a very proud father would look at his son. It's way less creepy than the analogy you made.

What I don't buy is that the Big 12 offices and the officials that work for it are skilled enough to pull off a conspiracy of game collusion. This is literally a conference that can't successfully manage discussion about what is and isn't a penalty with regards to the inverted Hook'em in the days before the game and I'm supposed to believe that it could create what amounts to successful criminal fraud?
Easily my favorite part of the TTFTW. Could not be more true.

And FWIW, there's no reason an inverted Hookem should be taunting unless the player stares down the Texas sideline and does it, in which case, almost anything would be taunting.

I hate seeing the Horns down as much as the next Longhorn, but come on. The fact that other teams do it adds credence to how popular and awesome it is in the first place.

I think Lincoln Riley coached his last Texas/OU game on Saturday, which is one of the reasons he was so emotional after the game and one of the reasons why he felt so free in the team picture to go the downward Hook'em.​
Umm.... Bury the lead much? I'd like more information, even speculative information, on this please?

I promise you that they won't think there's a problem, which in itself is a major problem, perhaps the biggest.
Agreed. Which is why my position right now isn’t about going after organized corruption. But that something is deeply broken in B12 culture right now and it is time that it becomes a regular, and reasonable, topic of conversation.

Reactions: Number-5
BUY or SELL: LJH and CJ both return next year?

(Buy) I think both guys probably will think about it, but I would think there's upside in returning for multiple reasons for both

RapidInconsequentialJavalina-small.gif

NFL people seem to believe he's due quite a bit.
I think people look at the LA Rams and think, "Hey, maybe we don't need to hire a crusty white guy who's been an NFL head coach or coordinator with 11 different teams."

I'm convinced more and more that the job of NFL head coach matters about 10 times less than the job of NFL general manager. Put Goff, Gurley, quality receivers, Suh and Johnson on the team and see what happens. Wow, they're winning? That's weird.

How can they possible not think there's a problem, or at the very least, an issue that needs to be dealt with??

I prefer to view Herman looking at Ehlinger as a very proud father would look at his son. It's way less creepy than the analogy you made.
It's only creepy if you choose to make it creepy.

I hate seeing the Horns down as much as the next Longhorn, but come on. The fact that other teams do it adds credence to how popular and awesome it is in the first place.
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

Agreed. Which is why my position right now isn’t about going after organized corruption. But that something is deeply broken in B12 culture right now and it is time that it becomes a regular, and reasonable, topic of conversation.
Del Conte has to take the lead. It can't be anyone else IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT