ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The path for saving this season is crystal clear...)

You could drop "Stop dragging my heart around" and slide in another
"Won't back down" or Free Fallin'.. Dragging has always hit me as a duet with Cocaine Stevie vs a true TB and THB song.
It's one of my first favorite songs as a kid listening to rock music. One of the great rock duets of all-time.

Reactions: Smootus
Turrible Tom Petty list. Really bad.
My Top 10 with the Rolling Stone ranking in parenthesis

10. Here Comes My Girl (16)
9. You’re Gonna Get It
8. Don’t Do Me Like That (13)
7. Into the Great Wide Open (12)
6. You Got Lucky (23)
5. Breakdown (8)
4. Stop Dragging’ My Heart Around (15)
3. Free Fallin’ (3)
2. Refugee (2)
1. American Girl (1)

I mean my list is made up of a consensus of his top 20 songs, my order is just different than others.

I am fully open to leaning towards his early stuff more than anything else. I love Petty when he's as his swaggiest.

Reactions: Smootus
You did a Petty list a few years ago, and you left "The Waiting" off that one as well. "Into the Great Wide Open" over "The Waiting"? Come on. "The Waiting" is a paradigm of Petty's signature Rickenbacher guitar sound, and just a great song. Man, dude . . .

("American Girl" No. 1 is the only choice there.)
The Waiting is the No.7 song on the Rolling Stone Magazine list. It was No.12 on my personal list. Not a huge difference.

Reactions: In Stink
I’ve had a lot of Tom Petty songs as my favorite at various points in time, but I think The Waiting is it for me. Can’t have a Top 10 without it.
Petty fans apparently disagree.

Here's Petty's Top 10 Reader's List via Rolling Stone

10. You Wreck Me
9. Here Comes My Girl
8. Learning to Fly
7. Running Down a Dream
6. Breakdown
5. I won't back down
4. Mary Jane's last Dance
3. Refugee
2. Free Fallin
1. American Girl.

When you think about it LSU can think Tom Herman for Joe Burrow.
Yep.

Watching the full game LSU v Bama. Good game.

Burrow was very very good. His receivers were even better, as was #22 RB, all 5’8” of him. And Bama played sloppy and stupid, penalties and turnovers. A recipe for a home loss.

Reactions: Big Bertha
(Sell) Gif-time!
giphy.gif
hahahaha...last year around this time, they were 5-0 with wins over Arkansas and UNC

I know the Moody’s but what connection do they have to UT ?
Ross Moody is a Texas Ex, keeps a place in Austin, and the family patriarch Bill Moody went to UT law in the late 1800's. Family also donates $$ to other universities in the state.

No. 10 – And Finally ...
Put me on record as being a major proponent for the new Moody Center after it was announced this weekend that the Moody Foundation in Galveston was donating $130 million towards the project.

There’s nothing in the Fenves announcement that says the donation was made toward the new gym. They’re being very nuanced in their language but it appears the money was donated to the University in general and it also got the Moody name on the building. I doubt it changes anything about who is going to own or control the building.

that is also my understanding

I’m certainly relieved the new arena won’t have some interchangeable soulless corporate name like Mega-Compudyne.com Arena. I will say, though, that the number of places around here named Moody could start to lead to a little confusion.

The defense played well after the first quarter against a mediocre offensive team. We are a better defensive team with a four man front and one less LB(Dele). But, I bet TO goes back to his much loved 3 man front next week. It’s telling that the weakest position group on the D is the one he is responsible for.

I was hoping to see Whittington Saturday, and some new offensive wrinkles with him involved would help next week, but now I’m sure not expecting it. TH needs to not get out coached by Campbell Saturday.
No, when we went back to a 3 man line in the 2nd quarter is when we started to play well. We only played the 4 man line in the first quarter, and we struggled. In fact, near the end of that game we had sets where we only had one man with his hand on the ground.

Hook'em

As much as it will sting a lot of Texas fans to consider the idea of rooting for Oklahoma this weekend when the Sooners visit Waco, the least damaging result for the Longhorns would be an OU win because it would essentially allow the Longhorns to control their own destiny, assuming they find a way to beat Iowa State this weekend.

Even if they played Thug U Miami, I could not root for OU. Having said that, I think they'll handle the Bears. Regardless, Sic 'Em, Bears.

IIRC, when the now-Moody Center was announced, CDC said it would be paid for using no money from UT's budget, but instead from investor money.

McConaughey and others invested in the arena and would receive proceeds from the first 10 years of non-athletic events there (concerts, primarily).

I guess the $130M Moody gift is in addition to that?

Edit: Here we go... yes, total cost is $300M. Can't wait for it and the SEZ to be complete.

Wouldn't be the first time a hit that crosses over to the masses isn't loved by the fans that consider themselves purists.

I have never heard of most of the songs on your list as Petty was always too soft for my tastes. But I have heard the Mary Jane song and Free Falling (but only from Jerry McGuire) because they hit mainstream. I could be wrong, but I am just speaking from the perspective of an outsider.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT