ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The reality of where Texas stands heading into 2020...)

I hope you enjoy it. One more great show came to mind as well; have you seen Homeland? IMO as good as it gets if you are into CIA counter terrorism suspense type of shows. The best series Showtime has done since Dexter. Also "The Boys" on amazon prime 1st season was pretty damn good.
Yeah, I need to see Homeland as well.

Baylor and/or Oklahoma have new head coaches in 2020?
(Sell) I'd put money on Lincoln Riley returning.

I don't know, assuming that they get rid of Jason Garrett all indications are is that Stephen Jones is pretty hot to trot for Lincoln Riley. What do you think?

Baylor and/or Oklahoma have new head coaches in 2020?
(Sell) I'd put money on Lincoln Riley returning.

I don't know, assuming that they get rid of Jason Garrett all indications are is that Stephen Jones is pretty hot to trot for Lincoln Riley. What do you think?
Man, I just don't know.

I literally don't have an answer.

I guess Riley.

You?

Maybe Rhule, if only because he’s rebuilt programs, while Riley inherited, and Rhule seems to be an NFL guy.

Coaching promotions used to be more linear, a guys path was usually A to B to C to D, with each move upward semi predictable. Now, everyone at all levels seems to be looking for the hot new guy with a shiny offense. A to B to G.

I think that’s causing some of the ‘meh’ reactions to Yurcich. As you said in the podcast, he looks like the best hire for Tom. But, he isn’t shiny.

Maybe Rhule, if only because he’s rebuilt programs, while Riley inherited, and Rhule seems to be an NFL guy.

Coaching promotions used to be more linear, a guys path was usually A to B to C to D, with each move upward semi predictable. Now, everyone at all levels seems to be looking for the hot new guy with a shiny offense. A to B to G.

I think that’s causing some of the ‘meh’ reactions to Yurcich. As you said in the podcast, he looks like the best hire for Tom. But, he isn’t shiny.
I think Riley has a specific special skill. I'm not sure what Ruhle's special skill is.

Reactions: Eagle Fang
We basically spent the past 20 years on opposite ends of the football spectrum. Here’s hoping the next decade isn’t in the middle or worse.

Despite our high numbers of wins in the prior decade, our 8 non-championship seasons and 70% losses against Top 10 opponents means we probably would have had at most only 2 teams that would've made the playoffs if they had them back then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Longhorn Luster
I think Riley has a specific special skill. I'm not sure what Ruhle's special skill is.

And he’s very, very good at that skill. But to date, he hasn’t been able to solve his problems on the other side of the ball.

It may be that Rhule’s skill turns out to be building a program that’s good on offense and defense where each side compliments the other.

And he’s very, very good at that skill. But to date, he hasn’t been able to solve his problems on the other side of the ball.

It may be that Rhule’s skill turns out to be building a program that’s good on offense and defense where each side compliments the other.
Maybe. I can't say I KNOW.

Sure. There seems to be no limit to the ways supposedly educated officials can mangle rules interpretation, mostly as a result of twisting the rules to meet the result they "believe" should be arrived at. Happens in the legal realm all the time as well.

It is very difficult to divorce yourself from your feelings and apply rules without prejudice.

I think that's why we constantly see changes in rules. You get one bad result, a la the Dez Bryant non-catch or the Megatron non-catch, and the knee jerk reaction is to change the rule. Of course every time we change the rule a new event comes along causing us to readjust the rule over and over again.

Of course there is also just a lot of human error. There's no accounting in my mind for a play like the obvious pass interference that wasn't called in the OU game. Whether or not it ultimately mattered is not the point. My knee jerk reaction to something like that would be to have a group of 3 officials who watch the game remotely and have the power to overrule a call or non-call like that if they all 3 agree there was about to be a blown call like that. Of course the problem would end up being they would overreach at some point and overturn something that wasn't really cut and dried enough. Just see the myriad of plays that are reversed now when there's nowhere near 100% certainly a call has been missed.

Seems there is no accounting for the human condition.
Great post. Personally I'm getting closer and closer to wanting to eliminate replay unless they can revamp it and make it 300% quicker. We've interrupted the flow, elongated the games, and we still have the human element. I'm starting to wonder if the human element shouldn't just be part of the game. Was football less enjoyable before replay?

Reactions: magnahorn
I hope you enjoy it. One more great show came to mind as well; have you seen Homeland? IMO as good as it gets if you are into CIA counter terrorism suspense type of shows. The best series Showtime has done since Dexter. Also "The Boys" on amazon prime 1st season was pretty damn good.
I loved the first two seasons of Homeland. Then they pivoted which I understood had to be done. But I felt like by season 4 they were jumping sharks.

Just curious. Why do you still believe in Herman?

I say that because Herman has basically admitted he wasted a large part of his first three years with his initial hires.
Fair question. I would say I believe in Herman as much as any other coach I think we could get.

If we could get Saban or Riley or Dabo, then I'd believe more in them. But we aren't getting them. What other VIABLE coaching options are more proven than Herman? I don't think any. And he gave us a very good season last year with the Georgia and OU wins and a few good recruiting classes. IMO he has not been perfect, but other than Bama, Clemson and OU, what fanbase is completely happy with their coach? ND? Georgia? Michigan? I suppose Minnesota, LSU and Baylor are thrilled with their coaches right now, but the sample size is no bigger than Herman's was.

I like greener grass as much as the next guy, but where is this greener grass growing?

Great post. Personally I'm getting closer and closer to wanting to eliminate replay unless they can revamp it and make it 300% quicker. We've interrupted the flow, elongated the games, and we still have the human element. I'm starting to wonder if the human element shouldn't just be part of the game. Was football less enjoyable before replay?
Replay is fine.

Too many officials aren't of high quality. I don't want their mistakes deciding games.

Do you feel like Herman has been wasting some time, though, through three years?

I totally agree with you, but Texas isn't as far ahead into its five year plan as it needs to be IMO.
Just saw this.

I think the incredible rash of injuries this year gives the appearance of slower than desired progress. We also have had a bit of bad luck with recruits health. When you are thin talent wise, these things magnify.

Per Rivals, we have 2 really good recruiting classes on the field now. Our current class is 3.71 stars (4-5th). We need D lineman........so does everyone except Alabama and Clemson.

What I like is that our coach has recognized the issues and has taken action. He didn't lock himself in his office as others before him. He is attacking the problems head on. Other than a robe and sandals, I really don't know what else you can reasonable expect.

OB wasn't built in a day or 2 years. It grew in a steady fashion because management was not afraid to innovate...….and activate...….TH is doing the same. Lincoln Riley inherited a full deck. Stoops is the hero there.

It's a serendipitous world we live in.

Couldn’t agree more! Call it serendipity, luck, just being in the right place at the right time, even the best, most talented, hardest workers in any field need to catch some breaks, too.

Couldn’t agree more! Call it serendipity, luck, just being in the right place at the right time, even the best, most talented, hardest workers in any field need to catch some breaks, too.

I took a philosophy course in college and the premise of the day was that if you had a large enough computer or brain and knew the position and direction of every atom, every molecule, every electron, you should be able to project every single thing that would happen going forward. Essentially predetermination.

Of course there are all kinds of flaws in that logic, but the one I like to latch onto is the dreaded 50:50 collision. Make no mistake, there are uncountable numbers of 50:50 collisions where there is no predicting where those particles will end up.

It's similar in sports. Look at all the plays you watch and just know you know the correct answer yet half the fans disagree.

That's why it annoys me there are threads every single game in every single sport complaining about officiating. There's never going to be blanket approval of some of these calls, whatever we do to try to fix them.

I'm also inclined to drop all the replays and just get on with games being called by humans, warts and all.

Reactions: SarkAfterDark
Just saw this.

I think the incredible rash of injuries this year gives the appearance of slower than desired progress. We also have had a bit of bad luck with recruits health. When you are thin talent wise, these things magnify.

Per Rivals, we have 2 really good recruiting classes on the field now. Our current class is 3.71 stars (4-5th). We need D lineman........so does everyone except Alabama and Clemson.

What I like is that our coach has recognized the issues and has taken action. He didn't lock himself in his office as others before him. He is attacking the problems head on. Other than a robe and sandals, I really don't know what else you can reasonable expect.

OB wasn't built in a day or 2 years. It grew in a steady fashion because management was not afraid to innovate...….and activate...….TH is doing the same. Lincoln Riley inherited a full deck. Stoops is the hero there.
I find this to be excuse-making.

Reactions: Rickstacopy
Replay is fine.

Too many officials aren't of high quality. I don't want their mistakes deciding games.
Do you honestly believe the officials today are worse than the officials of twenty years ago?

You could fix it better buy having more officials on the field and one official in the press box.

“...Second, the Longhorns have to figure out a way to build a team that can compete with the true big boys in a conference that doesn't really prepare them for that.”

That is it succinctly said. The Utes were sure they were going to roll us, but look at the Pac12. Big12 a step up but no SEC. On the other hand is the ACC all that hot? But Clemson sure is. It can be done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT