ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The reality of where Texas stands heading into 2020...)

Agree to your statement regarding hierarchy of calls. I’m simply saying I feel the play could have been blown dead before the fumble was in question in real time. And in this day in age of retrospecting calls, it would not have surprised me to see the call go a few different ways after review.

Fun football times we live in.
Why would you blow the play dead? He wasn't really wrapped up.

Fair enough Ketch- but you said it’s past time for Texas to look at a new conference affiliation- and the LHN certainly is huge in that regard.
That's true. Perhaps next week a specific question with that angle? I promise I'll take it.

Reactions: Indyhorn
giphy.gif
Way to hang in there, boys! We got through it. I bought my OB sub when Charlie got hired.

I’m renewing my sub.

Reactions: Ketchum
fair enough.

I'd argue there's some recency bias for me in Watchmen. I'm still riding a super high with that show.

How many episodes of the watchmen did it take to get you really interested? I struggled to get thru the second episode. I haven’t looked at what kind of following it’s got but to me it seemed to be a one and done season show. Do you think it has the legs to renew for multiple seasons? If you haven’t tried Mr In Between, give it a watch and I’d be curious to hear your thoughts. It’s dark yet hilarious, admittedly that’s an odd combination.

Agree to your statement regarding hierarchy of calls. I’m simply saying I feel the play could have been blown dead before the fumble was in question in real time. And in this day in age of retrospecting calls, it would not have surprised me to see the call go a few different ways after review.

Fun football times we live in.

Sure. There seems to be no limit to the ways supposedly educated officials can mangle rules interpretation, mostly as a result of twisting the rules to meet the result they "believe" should be arrived at. Happens in the legal realm all the time as well.

It is very difficult to divorce yourself from your feelings and apply rules without prejudice.

I think that's why we constantly see changes in rules. You get one bad result, a la the Dez Bryant non-catch or the Megatron non-catch, and the knee jerk reaction is to change the rule. Of course every time we change the rule a new event comes along causing us to readjust the rule over and over again.

Of course there is also just a lot of human error. There's no accounting in my mind for a play like the obvious pass interference that wasn't called in the OU game. Whether or not it ultimately mattered is not the point. My knee jerk reaction to something like that would be to have a group of 3 officials who watch the game remotely and have the power to overrule a call or non-call like that if they all 3 agree there was about to be a blown call like that. Of course the problem would end up being they would overreach at some point and overturn something that wasn't really cut and dried enough. Just see the myriad of plays that are reversed now when there's nowhere near 100% certainly a call has been missed.

Seems there is no accounting for the human condition.

Reactions: Kblunted
Great write up. The description of where Texas football stands relative to the big boys was right on the $$. Ketch needs to reprint it once a week during the summer or we all know what will happen. Its like the coating on eyeglasses that progressively darkens in sunlight. Except with OB, the tint starts in Feb as baby aspirin, and as Spring turns to Summer that color darkens up to the darkest shade of BURNT ORANGE beauty.

How many episodes of the watchmen did it take to get you really interested? I struggled to get thru the second episode. I haven’t looked at what kind of following it’s got but to me it seemed to be a one and done season show. Do you think it has the legs to renew for multiple seasons? If you haven’t tried Mr In Between, give it a watch and I’d be curious to hear your thoughts. It’s dark yet hilarious, admittedly that’s an odd combination.
It took a few. The last 5 were as good as anything I've seen in a long time. It was damn near perfect television and it brings together all of the previous early episodes.

Great write up. The description of where Texas football stands relative to the big boys was right on the $$. Ketch needs to reprint it once a week during the summer or we all know what will happen. Its like the coating on eyeglasses that progressively darkens in sunlight. Except with OB, the tint starts in Feb as baby aspirin, and as Spring turns to Summer that color darkens up to the darkest shade of BURNT ORANGE beauty.
we're doing a better job of self-policing, but it still takes work. :)

Reactions: Ben3490
I would completely sign off on anyone that wants to call Veep the best show of the decade. It really is tremendous and every season was sensational.
The writing and acting just got better and better with every episode, which is rare these days.

Ketch my man I agree with what you are saying but we have to start rebuilding from some point I still believe in TH and hope these are the teachers we need. My friends y'all have a blessed week. Win are Lose My Horns Will Always Shine And Be Raised High And Proud

Reactions: txfight
Ketch my man I agree with what you are saying but we have to start rebuilding from some point I still believe in TH and hope these are the teachers we need. My friends y'all have a blessed week. Win are Lose My Horns Will Always Shine And Be Raised High And Proud
Just curious. Why do you still believe in Herman?

I say that because Herman has basically admitted he wasted a large part of his first three years with his initial hires.

I say that because Herman has basically admitted he wasted a large part of his first three years with his initial hires.
Ketch my friend he has done well every were he has gone and the Texas coaching job is one he dreamed of having. That given I just felt that he would go all out and win at Texas. My friends y'all have a blessed week. Win are Lose My Horns Will Always Shine And Be Raised High And Proud

I am still very positive on Herman. We have recruited very well and I see him as someone who will adapt as we have seen with the recent changes. I was very high on the potential coming into 2019 and very disappointed with the regression but I saw the talent on the field vs LSU and we were right there. Our QB, receivers and o-line were solid and we played with a depleted RB line up. I think Ash will bring in the perspective we need to get the D (especially DBs developed).

I see the turning point for the season being the OU game where I saw us coming in a bit “cocky” (kinda like OU did in the 2018 reg season game). After that punch in the mouth and some key injuries we lost some swagger. I am looking for that to be back on the field for the Utah game.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimsTexas
@Ketchum

A few that might crack the top 10:

The Walking Dead
Vikings
Orange is the New Black
The Last Kingdom
Preacher

All good picks. I don't know anything about Preacher.
Preacher
2016 ‧ Horror ‧ 3 seasons
8/10IMDb87%Rotten Tomatoes

91% liked this TV show
Google users

Description
Fulfilling a promise to his deceased father, one-time outlaw Jesse Custer returns home to West Texas to take over his dad's church. Jesse's mission, however, becomes twisted when his body is overcome by a cryptic force that unleashes within him a highly unconventional power. Together with hell-raising ex-girlfriend Tulip and Irish vagabond Cassidy, the preacher-in-training embarks on a journey to find God in a world inhabited by holy, hellish, and everything-in-between characters. The darkly comedic "Preacher" is based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's popular 1990s comic book franchise of the same name. Executive producers include Sam Catlin ("Breaking Bad"), and Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg ("Superbad," "Neighbors").

First episode date: May 22, 2016
Network: AMC
No. of episodes: 43 (list of episodes)
Program creators: Seth Rogen, Sam Catlin, Evan Goldberg

Preacher
2016 ‧ Horror ‧ 3 seasons
8/10IMDb87%Rotten Tomatoes

91% liked this TV show
Google users

Description
Fulfilling a promise to his deceased father, one-time outlaw Jesse Custer returns home to West Texas to take over his dad's church. Jesse's mission, however, becomes twisted when his body is overcome by a cryptic force that unleashes within him a highly unconventional power. Together with hell-raising ex-girlfriend Tulip and Irish vagabond Cassidy, the preacher-in-training embarks on a journey to find God in a world inhabited by holy, hellish, and everything-in-between characters. The darkly comedic "Preacher" is based on Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's popular 1990s comic book franchise of the same name. Executive producers include Sam Catlin ("Breaking Bad"), and Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg ("Superbad," "Neighbors").

First episode date: May 22, 2016
Network: AMC
No. of episodes: 43 (list of episodes)
Program creators: Seth Rogen, Sam Catlin, Evan Goldberg
Ok, I'll watch anything that Rogan and Goldberg have partnered up on. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brewster is no longer the Brewster of Mack Brown era legend. He will turn 60 next year.

And to top it off there are numerous former horn players that thought his personal style was abusive when he coached here.
Brewster left Ags to get closer to home where he owns a farm.

Ok, I'll watch anything that Rogan and Goldberg have partnered up on. Thanks for the suggestion.
I hope you enjoy it. One more great show came to mind as well; have you seen Homeland? IMO as good as it gets if you are into CIA counter terrorism suspense type of shows. The best series Showtime has done since Dexter. Also "The Boys" on amazon prime 1st season was pretty damn good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT