ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The reality of where Texas stands heading into 2020...)

Just because OU wimps out in the playoffs doesn’t mean Texas will. They beat Georgia in the second year with Strong’s 2014 class and a few juniors and sophomores plus mainly true freshmen..many thought Georgia should have been in the playoffs.
This year they didn’t have the seniors from the 2015 class and the seniors and juniors on the team were almost none existent. That left us with sophomores and red shirt freshmen and true freshmen to make the majority of the three deep on defense. Due to injuries we had to go three deep often.
Herman is building his team to play outside of the Big12. Whereas Riley is not..
We will not have a full roster until 2021 and that will include the transitional class of 2017.
I believe the rebuilt staff will be the best in the BIG12 and will be elite.
That’s an interesting take. Hopefully Herman is thinking long term and we are just experiencing growing pains... we shall see.

Reactions: boernefan
ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

After a weekend of watching the best that college football has to offer, I've got a little bit of a reality check for all of you.

Texas has a long way to go before it is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the likes of LSU, Clemson and Ohio State - teams absolutely capable of winning a national championship. Those three teams don't just have more talent than Texas. Those three teams don't just have better coaching. Or elite quarterback play.

Those three teams have all three. At once.

As we wait for Tom Herman to put the finishing touches on his off-season overhaul of the program, Saturday served as a reminder that adding a couple of new coordinators and position coaches to the mix isn't going to cut it by itself.

Just look at Oklahoma.

The five-time-champions-and-counting keep winning the Big 12 behind great quarterback play and coaching, but yet they keep getting treated like a rag-doll once they attempt to take the next step. Four times OU has been in the playoffs this decade and four times it has been dismissed by teams that are better pound for pound all over the field. If you take Oklahoma's five best players and match them up with the likes of LSU, the difference between the two teams is marginal, yet if you match up the top 20 players on each team, a sizable difference emerges.

I say that with the full acknowledgement that Oklahoma has a sizable difference in talent when compared to the Texas Longhorns, at least if we look at this year's all-Big 12 teams, which featured a total of two first-team players in burnt orange and only four out of 63 players that were recognized by the conference.

By comparison, Oklahoma had 11 of 63 players and it still continues to look completely in over its head when it gets to elite competition in late December/early January.

Meanwhile, it's impossible to discount what truly elite quarterback play means in this sport. The Sooners actually came into the playoffs with the Heisman runner-up at quarterback, but once you took Jalen Hurts out of the Big 12, Hurts completed 15 of 31 passes for 217 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception. The difference between Hurts and LSU's Joe Burrow was similar to the difference between the Grand Canyon and Brushy Creek.

Don't bother talking about what happened in September between Texas and LSU because the Tigers are sharpened steel at this point in the season, light years ahead of where they were early in the season when their defense was depending on Burrow to do all the heavy lifting.

There are two gigantic steps the Longhorns need to make and neither are automatic at this point.

First, the Longhorns have to find a way to dethrone Oklahoma.

Second, the Longhorns have to figure out a way to build a team that can compete with the true big boys in a conference that doesn't really prepare them for that. It's more than finding a way to stop playing footsy with the likes of Iowa State. It's finding a way to beat the teams that beat the crap out of them once the bowl season rolls around.

The hope has to be that Herman's hires close the gap in the coaching capacity, but there's still 2/3 of the equation that need to be addressed and it's going to take time.

And a lot more Bijan Robinsons.

No. 2 - My final movie metaphor of the decade...

Here's the first section in the form of a Thornton Melon diatribe.

No. 3 - Grading the Yurcich hire...

I'd give it a rock solid B.

I can't give it an A because that grade needs to be reserved for dudes that arrive with wallets in their pocket that read "Bad MF" across the front of them. After all, he didn't call plays at Ohio State this year and that's the kind of thing that needs to exist if you're going to get an A.

That being said, he checks a lot of boxes, important boxes in the mind of Tom Herman.

Play calling experience? Check.

Big 12 experience? Check.

A history of big-time quarterback development? Check.

The ability to come in and seamlessly adjust and improve what's in place? Possible check.

More than anything, the big takeaway from my perspective is that Texas has upgraded at both coordinator positions. Mike Yurcich >>> Tim Beck and Chris Ash >> Todd Orlando.

In the quest to take the next step as a program, those two improvements are pretty massive deals.

No. 4 - With Ash and Yurcich locked in as the new coordinators ...

Here's how I'd fill out the staff if I was calling the shots, assuming Stan Drayton, Herb Hand and Oscar Giles are the coaches on the staff that are safe.

Quarterbacks: Mike Yurcich

Running backs: Stan Drayton

Wide Receivers: Emmett Jones (Kansas) - The former Texas Tech player formerly coached in the DISD for more than a decade at Lincoln, Skyline and Oak Cliff and has made a name for himself as a recruiter for the Jayhawks.

Tight Ends: Tim Brewster (North Carolina) - I know Herman passed on Brewster before, but it's time to correct that mistake and bring back the recruiting rainmaker to Austin. Brewster's been dreaming of a return top Austin for more than a decade. I'd make it happen.

Offensive Line: Herb Hand

Defensive Tackles: Todd Bates (Clemson) - In addition to being a sensational recruiter for the Tigers, he's also one hell of a developer of talent. Considering he's making only $375,000 per year (less than Derek Warehime) the Longhorns could more than double his salary in an attempt to bring the former Alabama player to the Big 12. Give him a fancy co-defensive coordinator title if you need to. I'd contend he'd be just as big of an addition as adding Ash.

Defensive Ends: Oscar Giles

Linebackers: Tyson Veidt (Iowa State) - Has emerged as one of the nation's top linebacker coaches over the course of the four years with the Cyclones. A former finalist for the Broyles Award.

Defensive Backs: Chris Ash

Special Teams: John Fassel (LA Rams) - Coaches always talk about special teams being critically important, but then they hire someone with marginal experience (see Texas) to head up those units. Go to the NFL, hire an expert, pay him a lot of cash and let him make this third phase of the game an absolute strength. If not Fassel, then someone else. There are about to be a lot of unemployed NFL coaches on the streets just waiting for a new gig.

With the money Texas spends on assistant coaches, it should have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Use that money to go out and get elite coaches and not just a way to hook up everyone you've worked with over the last 20 years.

No. 5a - Just a heads up ...

The Alamo Bowl is in two days.

I don't know that I'm picking the Longhorns to beat Utah, but as the game gets closer I can't help but be reminded of Tom Herman's record when he's an underdog.

I was thinking Utah in a 34-24 type of game when the announcement of the game was made, but I'm starting to think the Longhorns might take this one to the wire.

No. 5b - Sam flirting with the NFL?

On a scale of 1-10, I think the chance of Sam Ehlinger leaving early for the NFL is probably at a 2.

He's just not ready, and frankly, he's not good enough yet to be more than a mid-round candidate.

No. 6 - Five Thoughts on This Weekend's Playoff Games ...

a. I don't think Joe Burrow is the best college quarterback that I've ever seen, but he might be having the greatest season of any quarterback the sport has ever seen. He could have had 10 touchdown passes against the Sooners if the Tigers had wanted him to. Absolutely incredible.

Just look at this turnaround from a year ago (courtesy of @CS)
EDuvKW2WkAI0P4y

b. Jalen Hurts is not going to have a very long NFL career if he intends to stick it out at quarterback. I've come around on the critique that he struggles with being asked to make multiple reads and the NFL is all about making multiple reads and making throws from the pocket.

c. I hated the targeting call that changed the Ohio State/Clemson game. What's a defender to do when an offensive player ducks into a hit in a flash? At the very least, college football needs to create two variations of targeting, one that keeps a player in the game and one that warrants an ejection. That play on Saturday night did not warrant an ejection.

d. Speaking of officiating, the Clemson receiver caught the ball, took four steps with the ball under his control and then fumbled. It was a fumble. Man, Ohio State was on the rough end of some calls.

e. Joe Burrow vs. Trevor Lawrence is going to be some kind of championship game quarterback match-up. I like LSU by 10.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) For Clemson or Alabama?

(Sell) I'd put money on Lincoln Riley returning.

(Buy) Sure, why not? Actually, don't answer that question. Let's just believe in Santa and we'll will it to come true.

(Sell) I'm not sure Sam hits 3,800 yards, but I might buy the rest.

(Sell) The Bengals would smash the Tigers.

(Sell) Its past time.

(Buy) That's about right.

(Sell) Someone has to win one, right?

(Buy) I'd bet a hundo it happened after the double middle-finger salute.

(Sell) Saban will aim higher.

(Buy) That seems about exactly right.

(Sell) How is he underrated? He's viewed as a top 3 head coach in the country.

(Sell) Give me more games. Is a 32-team NCAA Tournament better than a 64-team NCAA Tournament?

(Buy) Damn good, but not great.

(Sell) If he's UT's version of Joe Brady, that would mean he's great.

(Buy) Of course.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Please, God, let the Jason Garrett era in Dallas be over. After nine seasons, we're talking about a coach that missed the playoffs six times and won two damn playoff games. I've had enough of the clapping.

... Michael gallup is a bad mother and is only gping to get better. He's the highlight of the season for me.

... Man, Derick Roberson has had some kind of end to the 2019 season.

... Ok, Andrew Beck, I see you.

... I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoyed Baker Mayfield's second season in the NFL.

... Ryan Fitzpatrick grabbing a playoff bye away from Tom Brady and the Patriots in the final seconds in Foxborough is surely a sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

... At his zenith, Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback my eyes have ever seen, but that zenith was a while back and he's nowhere near elite at this stage of his career.

... Derrick Henry is a bad man.

... Of course, Jameis Winston's season ended with him throwing a pick-six in overtime. Of course.

... Liverpool has won 82 of its last 84 possible points in Premier League play. The Reds might be replacing the 1992 Cowboys as the greatest team if my lifetime as a professional sports fan. I couldn't possibly love them more.

... Prediction for the end of the season EPL standings: 1. Liverpool 2. Man City 3. Leicester City 4. Wolves 5. Tottenham 6. Chelsea 7. Manchester United

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 TV Shows of the Decade ...

Let's end this bad boy with some good pop culture arguing.

10. Fleabag
9. Boardwalk Empire
8. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
7. Better Call Saul
6. True Dectetive
5. Watchmen
4. Veep
3. Parks and Rec
2. Game of Thrones
1. Breaking Bad

No.10 - And finally...

On behalf of everyone who had to endure this decade of Texas Longhorns athletics, I say good riddance to the 2010s.

Here's to a hell of a lot better decade than the last one.

I have to disagree re: the targeting call. The defender was going to hit the QB with crown of his helmet regardless of how the other player moved. The defender was looking at the ground rather than the chest of his target. It's incidental that the QB ducked down to protect himself.

Ketch doesn’t have the stomach for commenting on the LHN? Does OB financing involve the LHN in some manner? The complete reversal of Texas athletic fortunes does seem to have coincided with the onset of the LHN in my view. But B/S prefers to have 10 of the same questions regarding Texas football- boo to Ketch on this weeks cowardly redundance

Thanks Ketch for getting us through this decade of UT sports!!! Happy New Years to you and your family and all the OB family!!
Likewise, my friend. Thanks for taking the time to express such kind words.

I'm really excited to see the staff Ash and Yurcich put together. I think it will be the first good insight to how things are going to go.

WR - I agree Emmett Jones should be the hire here, but it sounds like Carrier will be.

TE - I would love a Brewster hire. If we really want to add like the big boys of football and throw some cash around then stealing Jeff Banks to be our TE and Special Teams coach would be a home run hire.

Brian Niedermeyer the Tennessee Volunteers Tight End coach would be another great hire.

DT - Todd Bates (love this). I also like guys like Ikaika Malloe (Washington DL Coach), Frank Okam (Baylor), Randall Joyner (SMU), Mike Elston (Notre Dame)

LB - I really want Antonio Pierce (Arizona State). I do like the Veidt hire, not sure of his recruiting chops though.
If you could control just one of the hires, which would you choose?

I think I'd go with Bates.

I like the discussion on overhauling the entire staff. If Warehime and Washington survive, I’m going to call BS on the notion that Herman took this seriously. I’d also have to conclude that his boss is letting him waste a lot of university resources on “buddies” that simply aren’t qualified for what Texas needs to be elite again.
I don't think they will.

I'll raise a minor quibble on this one. LSU was not much better than us in September. Clemson looked very, very shaky to start the season. The difference is both teams improved as the season progressed, both in terms of individuals stepping up their games and also in terms of performing as a unit.

We need to hold our coaching staff accountable not only for having a good team ready to start the season, but also for developing that team during the season. In other words, we need to be sharpened steel at the end of the season, not twisted scrap metal. That's on the coaches.
LSU was never in any real danger against Texas. The Tigers always had Texas at an arm's length.

You're right that both teams improved throughout the season and Texas didn't.

Ketch, good read.
1. Rating the OC hires - I really never give anyone an A - too many variables, like the talent to work with, recruiting dynamics, etc. Let's wait and see - patiently. Just like with weight loss (talking about me), it took a while to get to this point, and will take a while to get back. Sorry guys.
2. Playoff teams - this year there were 3 fantastic teams, and if Tua doesn't go down/get hurt, who knows, could have been 4. Things are not always thus.
3. Thanks to you and your staff for producing another fine OB product this year. It's always fun to get on the board, and I truly love all the folks that post, rant, and make me laugh insanely. HOOK EM HORNS. Have a happy and safe New Years all.
Happy New Year! Here's to an incredible one!

Reactions: PaulieD
I didn’t read all comments so if you already answered. What’s ur opinion on Joe Brady’s future for next season?

is he still at LSU? An obvious raise is in order and it appears he’s not going to another college. So, what I’m getting at is returning to the NFL? OC for Dallas Cowboys, thoughts?
That's a good question. I think he'll likely be at LSU for another year. Beyond that, hard to tell.

We seem to always get to this phase with our S&C coaches.
It is the Doubt Phase. I too wonder about all of the injuries.
I just haven't seen the real pay off from his hire yet. It certainly isn't in wins and losses.

Attaboy! Everyone is so quick to bury this team or coach. This program’s path back to greatness is not going to look like other program’s. But we’ll get there. I believe!
Hey, it's a new decade. Anything is possible!

Reactions: EG-man
I have to disagree re: the targeting call. The defender was going to hit the QB with crown of his helmet regardless of how the other player moved. The defender was looking at the ground rather than the chest of his target. It's incidental that the QB ducked down to protect himself.
If he doesn't duck, he hits him in the chest.

Ketch doesn’t have the stomach for commenting on the LHN? Does OB financing involve the LHN in some manner? The complete reversal of Texas athletic fortunes does seem to have coincided with the onset of the LHN in my view. But B/S prefers to have 10 of the same questions regarding Texas football- boo to Ketch on this weeks cowardly redundance
giphy.gif

Reactions: ljswank and coopdog
Paying top dollar for these top assistants is a no brainer - it would be a lot cheaper than eating Herman’s contract.
I don’t have the faith (and caring less and less) that Herman will get any of the coaches listed by original article.

Paying top dollar for these top assistants is a no brainer - it would be a lot cheaper than eating Herman’s contract.
I don’t have the faith (and caring less and less) that Herman will get any of the coaches listed by original article.
We will get very good coaches. We will just have to wait to see who they are.

Reactions: EG-man
The Watchman isn’t even top 5 this year IMHO.

Off the top of my head this year that are considerably better: Mr In Between, Mayans, Righteous Gemstones, Vikings and any other show not named The Watchman. :D

Reactions: TexasLawnghorn
If you could control just one of the hires, which would you choose?

I think I'd go with Bates.

If I'm operating out of the assumption that the following are already set in stone with no chance of changing:

QB/OC - Yurcich
RB - Drayton
OL - Hand
DE - Giles
DC - Ash

If I had my pick of one coach I would like to hire and I could hire anyone...........hmmmmmmmm.........going to go give you a top 5 in order.

1. Larry Johnson - DL coach at Ohio State
2. Todd Bates - DL coach at Clemson
3. Donte Williams - Cornerbacks coach at Oregon
4. Antonio Pierce - LB coach at Arizona State
5. Tim Brewster - TE coach at North Carolina - bring him home

I didn't include any NFL coaches on this list, since we don't know all the casualties that are yet to come. This is a really fun discussion. I would love to see maybe a top 5 from you at each position after the NFL casualties are announced. I think our lists could include an interesting blend of NFL and NCAA Coaching options.

Last edited:
If he doesn't duck, he hits him in the chest.
It doesnt matter where the qb was hit. The defender clearly hits him with the crown of the helmet. Hell the defender wouldnt know where he hit the QB because he couldn't see him. IF you want to argue that the "targeting" penalty should be modified, thats open; however, in the Ohio/Clemson game, the refs clearly made the correct call.

After a weekend of watching the best that college football has to offer, I've got a little bit of a reality check for all of you.

Texas has a long way to go before it is worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the likes of LSU, Clemson and Ohio State - teams absolutely capable of winning a national championship. Those three teams don't just have more talent than Texas. Those three teams don't just have better coaching. Or elite quarterback play.

As we wait for Tom Herman to put the finishing touches on his off-season overhaul of the program, Saturday served as a reminder that adding a couple of new coordinators and position coaches to the mix isn't going to cut it by itself.

Just look at Oklahoma.

The five-time-champions-and-counting keep winning the Big 12 behind great quarterback play and coaching, but yet they keep getting treated like a rag-doll once they attempt to take the next step. Four times OU has been in the playoffs this decade and four times it has been dismissed by teams that are better pound for pound all over the field. If you take Oklahoma's five best players and match them up with the likes of LSU, the difference between the two teams is marginal, yet if you match up the top 20 players on each team, a sizable difference emerges.

I say that with the full acknowledgement that Oklahoma has a sizable difference in talent when compared to the Texas Longhorns, at least if we look at this year's all-Big 12 teams, which featured a total of two first-team players in burnt orange and only four out of 63 players that were recognized by the conference.

By comparison, Oklahoma had 11 of 63 players and it still continues to look completely in over its head when it gets to elite competition in late December/early January.

Meanwhile, it's impossible to discount what truly elite quarterback play means in this sport. The Sooners actually came into the playoffs with the Heisman runner-up at quarterback, but once you took Jalen Hurts out of the Big 12, Hurts completed 15 of 31 passes for 217 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception. The difference between Hurts and LSU's Joe Burrow was similar to the difference between the Grand Canyon and Brushy Creek.

Don't bother talking about what happened in September between Texas and LSU because the Tigers are sharpened steel at this point in the season, light years ahead of where they were early in the season when their defense was depending on Burrow to do all the heavy lifting.

There are two gigantic steps the Longhorns need to make and neither are automatic at this point.

Second, the Longhorns have to figure out a way to build a team that can compete with the true big boys in a conference that doesn't really prepare them for that. It's more than finding a way to stop playing footsy with the likes of Iowa State. It's finding a way to beat the teams that beat the crap out of them once the bowl season rolls around.

The hope has to be that Herman's hires close the gap in the coaching capacity, but there's still 2/3 of the equation that need to be addressed and it's going to take time.

I can't give it an A because that grade needs to be reserved for dudes that arrive with wallets in their pocket that read "Bad MF" across the front of them. After all, he didn't call plays at Ohio State this year and that's the kind of thing that needs to exist if you're going to get an A.

That being said, he checks a lot of boxes, important boxes in the mind of Tom Herman.

The ability to come in and seamlessly adjust and improve what's in place? Possible check.

More than anything, the big takeaway from my perspective is that Texas has upgraded at both coordinator positions. Mike Yurcich >>> Tim Beck and Chris Ash >> Todd Orlando.

In the quest to take the next step as a program, those two improvements are pretty massive deals.

Here's how I'd fill out the staff if I was calling the shots, assuming Stan Drayton, Herb Hand and Oscar Giles are the coaches on the staff that are safe.

Wide Receivers: Emmett Jones (Kansas) - The former Texas Tech player formerly coached in the DISD for more than a decade at Lincoln, Skyline and Oak Cliff and has made a name for himself as a recruiter for the Jayhawks.

Tight Ends: Tim Brewster (North Carolina) - I know Herman passed on Brewster before, but it's time to correct that mistake and bring back the recruiting rainmaker to Austin. Brewster's been dreaming of a return top Austin for more than a decade. I'd make it happen.

Defensive Tackles: Todd Bates (Clemson) - In addition to being a sensational recruiter for the Tigers, he's also one hell of a developer of talent. Considering he's making only $375,000 per year (less than Derek Warehime) the Longhorns could more than double his salary in an attempt to bring the former Alabama player to the Big 12. Give him a fancy co-defensive coordinator title if you need to. I'd contend he'd be just as big of an addition as adding Ash.

Linebackers: Tyson Veidt (Iowa State) - Has emerged as one of the nation's top linebacker coaches over the course of the four years with the Cyclones. A former finalist for the Broyles Award.

Special Teams: John Fassel (LA Rams) - Coaches always talk about special teams being critically important, but then they hire someone with marginal experience (see Texas) to head up those units. Go to the NFL, hire an expert, pay him a lot of cash and let him make this third phase of the game an absolute strength. If not Fassel, then someone else. There are about to be a lot of unemployed NFL coaches on the streets just waiting for a new gig.

With the money Texas spends on assistant coaches, it should have one of the best coaching staffs in the country. Use that money to go out and get elite coaches and not just a way to hook up everyone you've worked with over the last 20 years.

I don't know that I'm picking the Longhorns to beat Utah, but as the game gets closer I can't help but be reminded of Tom Herman's record when he's an underdog.

I was thinking Utah in a 34-24 type of game when the announcement of the game was made, but I'm starting to think the Longhorns might take this one to the wire.

On a scale of 1-10, I think the chance of Sam Ehlinger leaving early for the NFL is probably at a 2.

He's just not ready, and frankly, he's not good enough yet to be more than a mid-round candidate.

a. I don't think Joe Burrow is the best college quarterback that I've ever seen, but he might be having the greatest season of any quarterback the sport has ever seen. He could have had 10 touchdown passes against the Sooners if the Tigers had wanted him to. Absolutely incredible.

EDuvKW2WkAI0P4y

b. Jalen Hurts is not going to have a very long NFL career if he intends to stick it out at quarterback. I've come around on the critique that he struggles with being asked to make multiple reads and the NFL is all about making multiple reads and making throws from the pocket.

c. I hated the targeting call that changed the Ohio State/Clemson game. What's a defender to do when an offensive player ducks into a hit in a flash? At the very least, college football needs to create two variations of targeting, one that keeps a player in the game and one that warrants an ejection. That play on Saturday night did not warrant an ejection.

d. Speaking of officiating, the Clemson receiver caught the ball, took four steps with the ball under his control and then fumbled. It was a fumble. Man, Ohio State was on the rough end of some calls.

e. Joe Burrow vs. Trevor Lawrence is going to be some kind of championship game quarterback match-up. I like LSU by 10.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Buy) Sure, why not? Actually, don't answer that question. Let's just believe in Santa and we'll will it to come true.

(Sell) Its past time.

(Sell) Give me more games. Is a 32-team NCAA Tournament better than a 64-team NCAA Tournament?

(Buy) Of course.

... Please, God, let the Jason Garrett era in Dallas be over. After nine seasons, we're talking about a coach that missed the playoffs six times and won two damn playoff games. I've had enough of the clapping.

... Michael gallup is a bad mother and is only gping to get better. He's the highlight of the season for me.

... I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoyed Baker Mayfield's second season in the NFL.

... Ryan Fitzpatrick grabbing a playoff bye away from Tom Brady and the Patriots in the final seconds in Foxborough is surely a sign that the apocalypse is upon us.

... At his zenith, Aaron Rodgers is the best quarterback my eyes have ever seen, but that zenith was a while back and he's nowhere near elite at this stage of his career.

... Of course, Jameis Winston's season ended with him throwing a pick-six in overtime. Of course.

... Liverpool has won 82 of its last 84 possible points in Premier League play. The Reds might be replacing the 1992 Cowboys as the greatest team if my lifetime as a professional sports fan. I couldn't possibly love them more.

... Prediction for the end of the season EPL standings: 1. Liverpool 2. Man City 3. Leicester City 4. Wolves 5. Tottenham 6. Chelsea 7. Manchester United

10. Fleabag
9. Boardwalk Empire
7. Better Call Saul
6. True Dectetive
5. Watchmen
4. Veep
3. Parks and Rec
2. Game of Thrones
1. Breaking Bad

No.10 - And finally...

On behalf of everyone who had to endure this decade of Texas Longhorns athletics, I say good riddance to the 2010s.

Ketch, do you see us entertaining a move to another conference any time soon?

My only comment is that those programs were not built in 2.5 years. It took Mac 5 years to get the bedrock, then a few more to move from conference to national contender. Coach Royal started at Texas in 1956. The first super year was 1962 and then a national title in 63. That is almost exactly the same time line as Mac!

As difficult as it seems to be for fans (not just Texas fans), it does take time. You must have a plan and stick to it. Two super recruiting classes can't compete with Alabama and Clemson. Those guys are top 5 for the last 10 years!

I am not saying "don't care". I am saying flush the unreasonableness out of your mind.

My only comment is that those programs were not built in 2.5 years. It took Mac 5 years to get the bedrock, then a few more to move from conference to national contender. Coach Royal started at Texas in 1956. The first super year was 1962 and then a national title in 63. That is almost exactly the same time line as Mac!

As difficult as it seems to be for fans (not just Texas fans), it does take time. You must have a plan and stick to it. Two super recruiting classes can't compete with Alabama and Clemson. Those guys are top 5 for the last 10 years!

I am not saying "don't care". I am saying flush the unreasonableness out of your mind.
Definitely not a 'plug and play' scenario. Patience is the virtue needed.

It's one season is one of the greatest seasons of TV in history.
A. No, no it is not.
B. Putting that aside, plenty of shows, athletes, and entertainers have been able to put together a great debut. That doesn't mean Ricky Martin gets put on a Top 10 Artists of the 1990s because he released his one great song (La Vida Loca) in 1999 or that "Lost" is a top 10 TV show of all time because it had a first season that was a cultural phenom. Quality and volume must be taken into account.
C. Give me all 6 seasons of The Americans over the 1 season of Watchmen. Give me Bosch's 5 seasons over the 1 season of Watchmen. Give me True Detective's seasons 1 and 3 over the 1 season of Watchmen. I'd also have Friday Night Lights, Mad Men, Luther, and Sherlock ahead on both volume and quality.

Why the Giles love? His unit has not done well.
in addition to what @Ketchum said, think about this:

What position coach has put more guys in the NFL than basically all other current position coaches and those fired combined? That would be Oscar.
Jeffcoat
Jones
Okafor
Acho
Kindle
Crowder
Orakpo
B Rob
Lamar Houston
a converted RB ----Henry Melton
Poona
Ominihu
Ed Oliver
Oh and he was in the NFL himself

Two were Hendrick award winners
Two were Hendrick award finalists
.One was a Nagurski award winner
Two were co defensive players of the year

He is not the one who handcuffed the DE's and put them in 4i technique vs 5 or 7 technique.That was Orlando.
Most just see a 3 man front with no clue what techniques you can use in it.He was handcuffed himself by Orlando's insistence on staying in 4i almost all the time and his bizzaro blitz packages.

He will never be an elite recruiter, but he's not as bad as the mindless narrative spewed on here. You can also prop that up.
There is a lot to be said for pure coaching and development.
Oscar Giles can coach/ develop kids and put them in the NFL.
.He has the skins on the wall to prove it.

Time will tell what Ash will do.

Just look at Oklahoma.

EDuvKW2WkAI0P4y

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) Its past time.

(Buy) Of course.

10. Fleabag
9. Boardwalk Empire
7. Better Call Saul
6. True Dectetive
5. Watchmen
4. Veep
3. Parks and Rec
2. Game of Thrones
1. Breaking Bad

No.10 - And finally...

Pretty solid points this week. I can definitely tell you, for sure, definitely happened that CDC spoke with Herman about that. I can also tell you the discontent is growing against him.

Reactions: Ben3490
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT