ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The reality of where Texas stands heading into 2020...)

Thank you for the great write up, Ketch.

I agree that Ohio State was on the rough end of several important calls but I could not say the calls were incorrect. On the targeting call the tackler just needs to lead with his chest or shoulder rather than his helmet. Replay on the fumble/incompletion did show the receiver taking 3 or 4 steps with the ball under control but it really looked like an incompletion in real time. Interestingly, in one of the featured NFL games yesterday a completion was ruled when the receiver took 3 steps before the ball was knocked loose.

Fantastic TTFTW to finish the year. This article is one of the few Monday routines I look forward too every week. As a matter of fact, I hate when you go on vacation and don't publish one. Maybe have a guest TTFTW when you schedule your vacation?

I would also argue that Shameless belongs on the list. Probably ahead of Fleabag (which I really liked but only has something like 16 30-minute episodes across 2 seasons.)

Also, I know it's not "cool" to like network TV anymore but Modern Family is a very solid show and has delivered for several years this decade. Also The Good Place was very clever. I need to finish The Watchmen, but I'd like to see it and Fleabag add a few more seasons of quality content before being anointed.

"Meanwhile, it's impossible to discount what truly elite quarterback play means in this sport. The Sooners actually came into the playoffs with the Heisman runner-up at quarterback, but once you took Jalen Hurts out of the Big 12, Hurts completed 15 of 31 passes for 217 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception. The difference between Hurts and LSU's Joe Burrow was similar to the difference between the Grand Canyon and Brushy Creek."

It should be no surprise that the two teams that will play for the NC have the two best QBs in college football this year. No disrespect to Hurts and Fields who were Heisman finalists, but there was no mistaking that Burrow and Lawrence were the two best QBs on the field in their respective games.

Top 10 Shows of the Decade
10. Succession
9. The Good Place
8. Friday Night Lights
7. Better Call Saul
6. True Detective
5. The Americans
4. Veep
3. Mad Men
2. Game of Thrones
1. Breaking Bad

Next 16 (no order):
Peaky Blinders
Bosch
Silicon Valley
Community
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Luther
Sherlock
Black Mirror
Mr. Robot
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Westworld
Narcos
Ozark
Mindhunter
The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I think Traore should try out at RB for an NFL team. That dude is f-ing solid as a rock. Also think Raul Jimenez is a stud.
The question for Wolves IMO is whether Traore can be consistent. Four goals and four assists isn't enough. If he can hit double figures, they've really got a chance.

Reactions: Chetbitterlemon
The Watchman isn’t even top 5 this year IMHO.

Off the top of my head this year that are considerably better: Mr In Between, Mayans, Righteous Gemstones, Vikings and any other show not named The Watchman. :D
giphy.gif

Reactions: RKirkD
Why are you unwilling to discuss the LHN? It seems fairly damn pertinent to Longhorn sports? Do you think it hurts or helps our programs? No comment- go ahead and answer if Herman is the coach in three years or if Texas wins 10 games next year, The LHN impacts our recruiting, our ability to find a new conference affiliation.
You ducked a more compelling question in my view.

Last edited:
If I'm operating out of the assumption that the following are already set in stone with no chance of changing:

QB/OC - Yurcich
RB - Drayton
OL - Hand
DE - Giles
DC - Ash

If I had my pick of one coach I would like to hire and I could hire anyone...........hmmmmmmmm.........going to go give you a top 5 in order.

1. Larry Johnson - DL coach at Ohio State
2. Todd Bates - DL coach at Clemson
3. Donte Williams - Cornerbacks coach at Oregon
4. Antonio Pierce - LB coach at Arizona State
5. Tim Brewster - TE coach at North Carolina - bring him home

I didn't include any NFL coaches on this list, since we don't know all the casualties that are yet to come. This is a really fun discussion. I would love to see maybe a top 5 from you at each position after the NFL casualties are announced. I think our lists could include an interesting blend of NFL and NCAA Coaching options.
I almost included Williams in my group as well. You and I are on the same page, for real.

Reactions: St. Vince 4 Prez
My only comment is that those programs were not built in 2.5 years. It took Mac 5 years to get the bedrock, then a few more to move from conference to national contender. Coach Royal started at Texas in 1956. The first super year was 1962 and then a national title in 63. That is almost exactly the same time line as Mac!

As difficult as it seems to be for fans (not just Texas fans), it does take time. You must have a plan and stick to it. Two super recruiting classes can't compete with Alabama and Clemson. Those guys are top 5 for the last 10 years!

I am not saying "don't care". I am saying flush the unreasonableness out of your mind.
Do you feel like Herman has been wasting some time, though, through three years?

I totally agree with you, but Texas isn't as far ahead into its five year plan as it needs to be IMO.

Reactions: SMS777
A. No, no it is not.
B. Putting that aside, plenty of shows, athletes, and entertainers have been able to put together a great debut. That doesn't mean Ricky Martin gets put on a Top 10 Artists of the 1990s because he released his one great song (La Vida Loca) in 1999 or that "Lost" is a top 10 TV show of all time because it had a first season that was a cultural phenom. Quality and volume must be taken into account.
C. Give me all 6 seasons of The Americans over the 1 season of Watchmen. Give me Bosch's 5 seasons over the 1 season of Watchmen. Give me True Detective's seasons 1 and 3 over the 1 season of Watchmen. I'd also have Friday Night Lights, Mad Men, Luther, and Sherlock ahead on both volume and quality.
fair enough.

I'd argue there's some recency bias for me in Watchmen. I'm still riding a super high with that show.

Pretty solid points this week. I can definitely tell you, for sure, definitely happened that CDC spoke with Herman about that. I can also tell you the discontent is growing against him.
The way Herman handled the press conference later that day seemed to be a clear indication in my mind that he received a talking to.

Fantastic TTFTW to finish the year. This article is one of the few Monday routines I look forward too every week. As a matter of fact, I hate when you go on vacation and don't publish one. Maybe have a guest TTFTW when you schedule your vacation?

I would also argue that Shameless belongs on the list. Probably ahead of Fleabag (which I really liked but only has something like 16 30-minute episodes across 2 seasons.)

Also, I know it's not "cool" to like network TV anymore but Modern Family is a very solid show and has delivered for several years this decade. Also The Good Place was very clever. I need to finish The Watchmen, but I'd like to see it and Fleabag add a few more seasons of quality content before being anointed.
Great post. Modern Family is a great call.

"Meanwhile, it's impossible to discount what truly elite quarterback play means in this sport. The Sooners actually came into the playoffs with the Heisman runner-up at quarterback, but once you took Jalen Hurts out of the Big 12, Hurts completed 15 of 31 passes for 217 yards, zero touchdowns and an interception. The difference between Hurts and LSU's Joe Burrow was similar to the difference between the Grand Canyon and Brushy Creek."

It should be no surprise that the two teams that will play for the NC have the two best QBs in college football this year. No disrespect to Hurts and Fields who were Heisman finalists, but there was no mistaking that Burrow and Lawrence were the two best QBs on the field in their respective games.
It's crazy how high of a level it takes at the quarterback position to win a national title. Pretty good of even very, very good just isn't good enough.

The hope has to be that Herman's hires close the gap in the coaching capacity, but there's still 2/3 of the equation that need to be addressed and it's going to take time.

And a lot more Bijan Robinsons.

I would say that Texas hasn't recruited at the levels of Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, Georgia or Florida (UM tenure) since what, the 60's? Mack Brown had some great classes but they were not filled with the studs of the listed schools over the past decade.

2020 Top 100 Recruits (Rivals)

Clemson - 8 (3 in the Top 10)
Alabama - 10
LSU - 8
Ohio St. - 9 (2 in Top 10)
Georgia - 6
ATM - 5
Texas - Bijan

Top 10 Shows of the Decade
10. Succession
9. The Good Place
8. Friday Night Lights
7. Better Call Saul
6. True Detective
5. The Americans
4. Veep
3. Mad Men
2. Game of Thrones
1. Breaking Bad

Next 16 (no order):
Peaky Blinders
Bosch
Silicon Valley
Community
Parks and Rec
30 Rock
Luther
Sherlock
Black Mirror
Mr. Robot
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Westworld
Narcos
Ozark
Mindhunter
The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story
Nice work.

I'd only say that FNL only had two seasons this decade. I consider it more of a last decade show, like The Office.

Reactions: TexasLawnghorn
What adjustments would it take to enable the results which would make the 20s an acceptable decade for rational fans (if rational fans exist.) I understand that there are no simple solutions to complex problems.

@Ketchum What is Texas going to do with Roschon Johnson going forward IYO? He wants to move back in the QB room. The RB room SHOULD be filled back up with actual running backs and you got Sam, Casey and Hudson in the room with him.

Why are you unwilling to discuss the LHN? It seems fairly damn pertinent to Longhorn sports? Do you think it hurts or helps our programs? No comment- go ahead and answer if Herman is the coach in three years or if Texas wins 10 games next year,
You ducked a more compelling question in my view.
a. I'm not unwilling.

b. I don't think it's much of an issue, if I'm being honest. I think it has had a very underwhelming impact, both good or bad.

I suppose I just don't find the LHN to be a compelling conversation piece.

Thanks!

Ketch, did the series The Leftovers (HBO) get any consideration.

I enjoyed it a lot, and it was filmed near the Austin area.
I never really got into ut outside of a couple of episodes. I know it makes a lot of other folk's Top 10 lists.

@Ketchum What is Texas going to do with Roschon Johnson going forward IYO? He wants to move back in the QB room. The RB room SHOULD be filled back up with actual running backs and you got Sam, Casey and Hudson in the room with him.
He's not good enough at quarterback IMO. He needs to stay at running back.

fair enough.

I'd argue there's some recency bias for me in Watchmen. I'm still riding a super high with that show.
Same with me re: Succession. I can't get it out of my head. I've also been rewatching Veep, which REALLY holds up well (perhaps too well, sadly).

What adjustments would it take to enable the results which would make the 20s an acceptable decade for rational fans (if rational fans exist.) I understand that there are no simple solutions to complex problems.
* The development of players has to improve significantly.

* Attrition numbers need to decline to a degree. Maybe from 12-13 per year to 8-9.

* Coaching has to improve.

* More national top 75 recruits in recruiting.

* Tremendous quarterback play.

Same with me re: Succession. I can't get it out of my head. I've also been rewatching Veep, which REALLY holds up well (perhaps too well, sadly).
I would completely sign off on anyone that wants to call Veep the best show of the decade. It really is tremendous and every season was sensational.

Reactions: TexasLawnghorn
No, but he would have gotten forward progress back to where he initially caught the ball if he hadn't fumbled it. I have literally never seen a forward progress call made on a play where there was a question of possession to begin with.

I'm sure there is a hierarchy of calls where determination of possession supersedes determination of progress. ;)
Agree to your statement regarding hierarchy of calls. I’m simply saying I feel the play could have been blown dead before the fumble was in question in real time. And in this day in age of retrospecting calls, it would not have surprised me to see the call go a few different ways after review.

Fun football times we live in.

He's not good enough at quarterback IMO. He needs to stay at running back.
That was what I thought you would say. I think he could be a great H-Back type player in the mold of what Taysom Hill does with the Saints and you could add a few wrinkles in the offense with him. I want him to stay at Texas and I am rooting for him because he showed what being a great team player he was this year.

Reactions: boernefan
a. Probably not. But, elite coaches don't give a **** about hurting feelings.

b. I think he hires Urban.
Right, but we are all still waiting for Tom to be elite.

I’m not sure how I feel about Urban. Not personally, but as a pro coach. I mean, he fits in, but I’m trying to get my head around it. If nothing else, it would be interesting and must watch.

a. I'm not unwilling.

b. I don't think it's much of an issue, if I'm being honest. I think it has had a very underwhelming impact, both good or bad.

I suppose I just don't find the LHN to be a compelling conversation piece.
Fair enough Ketch- but you said it’s past time for Texas to look at a new conference affiliation- and the LHN certainly is huge in that regard.

Reactions: txfight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT