ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The SEC move was born from the ashes of TEOT saga)

Never said he did. He is the one that drove the idea and figured out how to do it. I don’t post stuff like this unless I know it to be true.

It was a good article. I am just trying to correct your point that was a bit of a stretch.

No offense, but this is above his pay grade, but after the handling of TEOT and Herman, his relationships absolutely helped.

The dude knows everyone.

Reactions: MB-HORNS
No. 9 - Top 10 Chris Wall songs ...
The news on Friday night that country singer/songwriter Chris Wall had passed away after a long bout with cancer was a blow to my soul.

For those that have never heard of Wall, he represents a time in my life that I'll never quite get back. It was the 90s, I was in my 20s and Austin just felt like a different town back then.

As I explored the music that Austin had to offer, walking into a Wall show at The Broken Spoke was just a breath of fresh and old air at the same time. His version of country music was an anti-Nashville sound and it's a big reason why his impact can be felt on everyone from Jerry Jeff Walker to Reckless Kelly.

Even though it's probably been 20 years since I had seen a live performance, I emphatically love his music and by extension, Wall as a man.

He was the real deal and we were all lucky to have him.

My Wall Top 10

10. An Outlaw's Blues
9. I Feel Like Singing Alone
8. Cowboy Nation
7. Texas Time
6. Three Acress
5. Turns to Tears
4. I Feel Like Hank Williams Tonight
3. A Gal From San Antone
2. Trashy Women
1. Miles of Rodeo

Objectively, Trashy Women is his No.1 song, but Miles of Rodeo is one of my favorite country songs of all-time. Plus, Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis sing on the track.

Thank you for this.

This weeks summary

1.). The leadership change had to happen. And UT struck gold with both Eltife and Hartzell. They put there heads down and weren’t letting anyone, anything, any political faction stop them

2.) This was the death nail for Herman. And it should have been. Everyone on OB and in Longhorn Nation that said it were correct. That just can never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, I think you get it.

3.). Agree. Stop making excuses and get it done.

4.) Just a different way of saying what’s been said. Win and everything else falls in line.

5.). Don’t know jack about the kid. But now I’m excited to see him. Don’t let me down Ketch.

6.) I never find myself bored

7.). The you and Looch podcast can never happen. No way you help advance that toolbags career
The Horns are no better off if they started in the SEC 10yrs ago with the same coaching they have had
Yeah there will be some dummies yelling SEC. And they will be embarrassments to this institution
Aggy and success? Oxymoron if there ever was one

8.). Dear God trying to find the Olympic schedule has been like locating Bigfoot
Not sure anyone cares about Olympic basketball. But because he’s a Horn good for KD

9.) Has Wentz ever been unhurt?

10.) I don’t know who that guy is. But RIP my friend.

Overall some decent information. A lot of content I think most knew or greatly assumed. Some content I think no one cares about. I’m still riding the high of the Horn‘s move to the SEC so that’ll help you.

Grade: B-
It was an A.

No one else is writing section one. No else is writing No.3.

No.4 apparently needs to be written every week.

Calling this a B- speaks to the bar I set for myself each week.

1. That ketch/Liucci podcast would be good. Even if it might beat me a little that Billy would always zealously advocate for aggy and ketch would "keep it real."

2. I think I know the NIL true freshman. The transfer I can narrow down to 3 I think. The all america could be across several sports and isn't clear.

Reactions: HornPitt
This weeks summary

1.). The leadership change had to happen. And UT struck gold with both Eltife and Hartzell. They put there heads down and weren’t letting anyone, anything, any political faction stop them

2.) This was the death nail for Herman. And it should have been. Everyone on OB and in Longhorn Nation that said it were correct. That just can never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, I think you get it.

3.). Agree. Stop making excuses and get it done.

4.) Just a different way of saying what’s been said. Win and everything else falls in line.

5.). Don’t know jack about the kid. But now I’m excited to see him. Don’t let me down Ketch.

6.) I never find myself bored

7.). The you and Looch podcast can never happen. No way you help advance that toolbags career
The Horns are no better off if they started in the SEC 10yrs ago with the same coaching they have had
Yeah there will be some dummies yelling SEC. And they will be embarrassments to this institution
Aggy and success? Oxymoron if there ever was one

8.). Dear God trying to find the Olympic schedule has been like locating Bigfoot
Not sure anyone cares about Olympic basketball. But because he’s a Horn good for KD

9.) Has Wentz ever been unhurt?

10.) I don’t know who that guy is. But RIP my friend.

Overall some decent information. A lot of content I think most knew or greatly assumed. Some content I think no one cares about. I’m still riding the high of the Horn‘s move to the SEC so that’ll help you.

Grade: B-
2) Knell. Grade C

1. That ketch/Liucci podcast would be good. Even if it might beat me a little that Billy would always zealously advocate for aggy and ketch would "keep it real."

2. I think I know the NIL true freshman. The transfer I can narrow down to 3 I think. The all america could be across several sports and isn't clear.
1. I think it would just be a wild regular thing.

b. Check back in with me tomorrow and tell me how close you were. Keep in mind more are on the way.

Sark gets all the credit here IMO.

CDC is not calling the big shots.

I get that Sark and Eltife are the leaders and deserve the most credit for the positive recent events.

Just the way you are framing it in absolutes seems a little unfair.

Coleman is the WR coach and should get some recognition for an elite talent committing to join his WR room.

CDC and Hartzell were critical in aligning with Eltife to make power plays.

The other guys deserve recognition for their respective roles.

Reactions: J Tull
I think Sark is very smart and seems to be trying very hard not to repeat mistakes.
We all want our coach to be perfect in all aspects, but Sark hasn’t coached in Texas nor built relationships the way Herman had.

All we can ask is that our coaches learn from their mistakes and adapt accordingly.

Sark knows how important recruiting is, and he knows what it takes to win in the SEC.

Let’s give him the appropriate time to install his vision.

I get that Sark and Eltife are the leaders and deserve the most credit for the positive recent events.

Just the way you are framing it in absolutes seems a little unfair.

Coleman is the WR coach and should get some recognition for an elite talent committing to join his WR room.

CDC and Hartzell were critical in aligning with Eltife to make power plays.

They other guys deserve recognition for their respective roles.

Sark's relationship with Worthy was the single most important factor in getting Worthy.

Reactions: DrHorn98
No offense, but this is above his pay grade, but after the handling of TEOT and Herman, his relationships absolutely helped.

The dude knows everyone.
Sorry, but that’s your opinion and I don’t think you know how the SEC thing came about. Let’s just leave it at that. By the way, his status was never in trouble for people who mattered. The Eyes was bad for everyone.

Reactions: Hornfans
It was an A.

No one else is writing section one. No else is writing No.3.

No.4 apparently needs to be written every week.

Calling this a B- speaks to the bar I set for myself each week.

Don‘t question my grading scale sir.

Sorry, but that’s your opinion and I don’t think you know how the SEC thing came about. Let’s just leave it at that. By the way, his status was never in trouble for people who mattered. The Eyes was bad for everyone.
I never said he was in trouble.

Did you know that he has still never addressed the media and taken questions about TEOT.

Plenty of athletes were rolled out in front of the media to answer questions about it. It's been almost 14 months since he met with the athletes in June of 2020....

Reactions: MB-HORNS
Haha how long ago did you write this?

Maybe all of this was going to happen anyway. Maybe once Fenves was bumped out and Hartzell was installed as the president, Eltife's strategy and savvy were always going to take control. Maybe.
I was just talking about after he made his decision, but I can see where you would see that.

Fenves was bumped out?
Well, let's see...

Kevin Eltife became Chairman of the Board of Regents in January 2017. He tells me at the Tyler event we should have moved to the SEC in 2017. Greg Fenves was UT President from 2015 until he unexpectedly announces in April 2020 that he is leaving for Emory University. He is replaced by Jay Hartzell, Dean of the business school.

If you connect the dots, just more evidence of Kevin Eltife's incredible leadership.

Reactions: dougphelan

(Buy) Imagine a weekly podcast with both of us on it.
mind-blown-gif-7.gif

I actually didn't ignore it.
Fair enough. But you certainly glossed over it in the sense that Herman’s inability to close Ewers and the Brockemeyers was a reason for a change. And then in the buy / sell section it was more about everyone in the SEC cheats and we were unprepared for that - even though we have been recruiting against the SEC for over a decade now. It’s not like that now, because we are going into the SEC, that all of a sudden, we are astonished to find out that they cheat. We knew this coming into the deal.

If we came into this situation and are not prepared to counter, then perhaps the title Keyser Soyse is not warranted. Because if we can’t recruit better in this league, we will be Vanderbilt

Reactions: DrHorn98
Well, let's see...

Kevin Eltife became Chairman of the Board of Regents in January 2017. He tells me at the Tyler event we should have moved to the SEC in 2017. Greg Fenves was UT President from 2015 until he unexpectedly announces in April 2020 that he is leaving for Emory University. He is replaced by Jay Hartzell, Dean of the business school.

If you connect the dots, just more evidence of Kevin Eltife's incredible leadership.
Always thought the Emory move was curious.

Did Eltife say why 2017?

@Ketchum if you hear stuff about programs in the SEC delivering bags o cash, do you think UT will have to do the same to compete? Or can they run a “clean” program and win?

Always thought the Emory move was curious.

Did Eltife say why 2017?
I didn't follow up with Kevin about that unfortunately. However, given the timing, I would propose that Eltife pitched a move to the SEC and Fenves said no.

Fair enough. But you certainly glossed over it in the sense that Herman’s inability to close Ewers and the Brockemeyers was a reason for a change. And then in the buy / sell section it was more about everyone in the SEC cheats and we were unprepared for that - even though we have been recruiting against the SEC for over a decade now. It’s not like that now, because we are going into the SEC, that all of a sudden, we are astonished to find out that they cheat. We knew this coming into the deal.

If we came into this situation and are not prepared to counter, then perhaps the title Keyser Soyse is not warranted. Because if we can’t recruit better in this league, we will be Vanderbilt

No. 3 - Stop with the NIL is crushing recruiting stuff...

I can tell who does and does not read this column on a regular basis almost entirely by some of the reactions this weekend to the news that Texas is...wait for it...a bit sluggish in recruiting with elite prospects at the moment.

SHOCKING!!!!!!

Or not.

One of the trendy talking points for those that will do anything to create talking points is to point the finger at the new boogieman of Texas football recruiting...NIL.

Understand this - Texas' lack of momentum in the 2022 recruiting class didn't start on July 1. Almost eight months have passed since Texas landed Maalik Murphy in recruiting and the program hasn't landed a player in the Rivals Top 150 since.

The reality is that it feels better to say that Kelvin Banks picked Oregon because of NIL as opposed to admitting that he might not believe in the vision and messaging of the program from the coaching staff. Or that he doesn't want to be alone in coming to Austin.

It's just the newest form of excuse-making... the kind that Aggies have embarked on for much of the last 20-25 years before Jimbo Fisher was able to change the narrative.

No. 4 - Let's go over the non-NIL problems...

Instead of misplacing responsibility, let's take a look at the real issues facing the program as things currently stand in the 2022 class.

1. As has been mentioned in this column countless times, elite of the elite prospects aren't giving this coaching staff the kind of first-year benefit of the doubt that Charlie Strong and Tom Herman both received.

2. This staff can do better and finish better. Both the De'Anthony Gatson and Kelvin Banks recruitments featured miscalculations or misreadings. There's no reason to belabor the points again and again and again. The staff can be better.

3. In the case of a few recruits around the state, there's a sense that there are briefcases full of cash in play. Of course, you know what the SEC calls recruitments that involve briefcases full of cash? They call it Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday...

I don't know what to tell you about the third point, but the first two can be controlled and addressed with quality play on the field this season and the staff doing a better job.

I never said he was in trouble.

Did you know that he has still never addressed the media and taken questions about TEOT.

Plenty of athletes were rolled out in front of the media to answer questions about it. It's been almost 14 months since he met with the athletes in June of 2020....
I don’t share your vitriol on the Eyes. It was a no win situation imo.

Reactions: J Tull
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT