ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The spotlight is on... everyone)

I'm trying to outline the absurdity of the standards being placed on him by pointing out that no NBA Finals MVP has every been called out and critiqued in such a way.

You're not agreeing to disagree. You just aren't engaging. Which is fine.
Also, it’s not that I’m not engaging, I’m just not following your rabbit hole to nowhere. 🤓

Reactions: Tx Tailgator
Speaking for myself, I disagree that evaluating KD based on how other Finals MVPs have been judged is relevant. I can’t think of another situation where a Finals MVP stepped into a situation like KD did in GS.
It's relevant if none have been treated like him after winning it.

It translates to a never-before-standard, which is my point.

You mean the rabbit hole to my victory.
EmbarrassedImpressionableFurseal-size_restricted.gif

It's relevant if none have been treated like him after winning it.

It translates to a never-before-standard, which is my point.
But you’re skipping over the part where KD stepped into a unique situation in GD. Can you think of any other Finals MVP who stepped into a loaded team that won immediately before and after that player was on the team?

Last edited:
But you’re skipping over the part where KD stepped into a unique situation in GD. Can you think of any other Finals MVP who stepped into a loaded team that one immediately before and after that player was on the team?

No, but every all-time top 15 player has a story that is different than the next.

* LeBron needed to join with super heroes in Miami unlike anything we'd ever seen.

* Dirk had to wait until the very end of his career, which up until his title, was mostly remembered for failure.

* Kobe's entire career with the Lakers was full of wild shit. I mean, he was partly responsible for tearing down a dynasty. Same with Shaq, who fled Orlando after too much failure.

No, but every all-time top 15 player has a story that is different than the next.

* LeBron needed to join with super heroes in Miami unlike anything we'd ever seen.

* Dirk had to wait until the very end of his career, which up until his title, was mostly remembered for failure.

* Kobe's entire career with the Lakers was full of wild shit. I mean, he was partly responsible for tearing down a dynasty. Same with Shaq, who fled Orlando after too much failure.
True but the reason those guys aren't questioned now is because it's obvious those teams don't win without them and it was empirically proven.

* LeBron did get criticized a ton for jumping to the superteam with the Heat but he has since won with 2 other teams. Bringing a championship to Cleveland put a lot of that criticism to bed because hey, it's Cleveland.

* Dirk was the only reason the Mavs were an elite team. He also stuck with one team throughout his career.

* Kobe was also criticized heavily for breaking up the team with Shaq but he won 2 more championships and played for several others.

The unique aspect here is the team KD joined was already a champion before he joined, would have been in contention for a championship without him, and they continued to be elite and eventually win once he left the team. Until KD wins again, he is going to get this criticism and looking back, I don't think he is as unfairly targeted as you suggest.

True but the reason those guys aren't questioned now is because it's obvious those teams don't win without them and it was empirically proven.

* LeBron did get criticized a ton for jumping to the superteam with the Heat but he has since won with 2 other teams. Bringing a championship to Cleveland put a lot of that criticism to bed because hey, it's Cleveland.

* Dirk was the only reason the Mavs were an elite team. He also stuck with one team throughout his career.

* Kobe was also criticized heavily for breaking up the team with Shaq but he won 2 more championships and played for several others.

The unique aspect here is the team KD joined was already a champion before he joined, would have been in contention for a championship without him, and they continued to be elite and eventually win once he left the team. Until KD wins again, he is going to get this criticism and looking back, I don't think he is as unfairly targeted as you suggest.
Those teams in GS don't win those two rings. Don't take my word for it. Take Draymond Green's.

"I don't think the outside world gave Kevin enough credit. I think if you came within our organization, Kevin was given all the credit," Green said. "The reality is, I don't think that team wins another championship if Kevin doesn't come."

Those teams in GS don't win those two rings. Don't take my word for it. Take Draymond Green's.

"I don't think the outside world gave Kevin enough credit. I think if you came within our organization, Kevin was given all the credit," Green said. "The reality is, I don't think that team wins another championship if Kevin doesn't come."

Except they did.

Yes, they probably don't win and LeBron probably has more titles but they're probably still in the Finals or at least the conference Finals and they probably still win one at some point a few years later. I mean, they did win again without him. And let's not forget Green is saying this during a time when there was speculation about KD returning to GS. He's not stupid. They are no doubt better with him but the question remains: is he the final piece to a championship team or is he the centerpiece to a championship team?

Yes, they probably don't win and LeBron probably has more titles but they're probably still in the Finals or at least the conference Finals and they probably still win one at some point a few years later. I mean, they did win again without him. And let's not forget Green is saying this during a time when there was speculation about KD returning to GS. He's not stupid. They are no doubt better with him but the question remains: is he the final piece to a championship team or is he the centerpiece to a championship team?
Green said this two months ago.

a. after the entire team re-invented itself.

b. Doesn't change Green's point.
I think that was just a nice quote from Green that I wouldn’t read too much into. Guys say stuff like that. It’s professional and he probably likes KD so what was he going to say? “Nah we would have won without him.”? Could just be protecting a friend. He was absolutely an important contributor, but it doesn’t change my stance.

Green said this two months ago.
Yes, I know - it was when KD was demanding to be traded from Brooklyn and there was speculation of a possible return to GS. Green also did not say "GS would never win another championship without KD." He was critical to the two (nearly 3) he won there during that time. Agreed. Could he have won there without Curry or Green or Thompson? They were also critical.

a. except it's not.
b. it's horribly ironic from a self-awareness standpoint,
Charles's failure to win a title isn't realated to his ability to analyze other players. QUite the contrary. If anyone knows what it is like to be the superstar and fail to lead a team to a title it is him, or malone, or stockton. I do not have to be a good cook to know if a chef is worth a damn or not. Charles doesn't need to have won a title to be able to alayze durant and make a correct opinion on it. I am certain his self awareness is fine. He knows he didn't win it all.

I think that was just a nice quote from Green that I wouldn’t read too much into. Guys say stuff like that. It’s professional and he probably likes KD so what was he going to say? “Nah we would have won without him.”? Could just be protecting a friend. He was absolutely an important contributor, but it doesn’t change my stance.
Sure, it's a nice quote, but it's also one that undermines all of the potential glory that could go to himself or other teammates.

He's keeping it a buck. Coming from Draymond, I take it on face.

Yes, I know - it was when KD was demanding to be traded from Brooklyn and there was speculation of a possible return to GS. Green also did not say "GS would never win another championship without KD." He was critical to the two (nearly 3) he won there during that time. Agreed. Could he have won there without Curry or Green or Thompson? They were also critical.
KD wasn't ever going back to GS and Green knew that.

Sure, it's a nice quote, but it's also one that undermines all of the potential glory that could go to himself or other teammates.

He's keeping it a buck. Coming from Draymond, I take it on face.
I don’t. No reason to disparage KD publicly unless you just don’t like him. Dray doesn’t need anymore glory. He’s set. They certainly found a way to quickly win one without him.

I don’t. No reason to disparage KD publicly unless you just don’t like him. Dray doesn’t need anymore glory. He’s set. They certainly found a way to quickly win one without him.
The only thing that stopped them was injuries in the first place.

They got healthy. Added a budding Andrew Wiggins. Caught lightening in a bottle with Jordan Poole.

Played a weaker West than what existed during their real run and got it done.

Reactions: McGuapo
KD wasn't ever going back to GS and Green knew that.
Perhaps. So he gave KD credit where credit is due for those seasons in GS, like everyone else. That proves KD was essential to those championships which isn’t in dispute. It doesn’t prove the rest of that GS team wasn’t special or that KD would have won without the other key players who have won championships without KD.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT