ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The spotlight is on... everyone)

What is being discussed is the language that Barkley specifically used a d the irony of the words coming from him.

That you haven't found the discussion one you've come close to winning means you've moved the finish line to a certain degree.
That statement is ironic. You’re defending a questionable position because of who said it rather than examine what was said. I didn’t defend Barkley as someone who has great credibility in this area. I agreed with you on that. I merely noted that he’s not necessarily wrong.

That statement is ironic. You’re defending a questionable position because of who said it rather than examine what was said.

That's quite the opposite of what has occurred. Hence, the discussion of other NBA Finals MVPs and the absurdity of this claim in conjunction with Durant.

Is there another NBA Finals MVP in history you would say that about?
Probably. MVP is basically you take the guy with the best stats on the winning team. Doesn’t mean much to me in terms of this conversation. Some of the best leaders I’ve known weren’t the best players/team members.

huh? so Baylor has more money on the tap than Nebraska regarding donors? big 10 conference money will always beat Baylor's big12 money to create advantage NE, no?
Nebraska sits in the desert when it comes to talent natural resources.

The state of Nebraska has two four-stars in the entire state for the 2023 class and 3 high three stars.

Baylor can find that much within 20 miles of each direction of its campus.

You're trying to change the discussion because you are losing the one we're having.

When posed with the question of naming another NBA Finals MVP winner who had his leadership questioned, you chose Isaiah Thomas, one of the greatest winners and competitors the sport has ever seen as the best you could come up with. That was check and mate as far as I'm concerned.
I pulled that example because people have in fact questioned his leadership. I don’t necessarily agree but it’s an example, even if not a great one. Most of that question comes from what happened since being a finals MVP, just like KD.

In hindsight, a better retort would have been to ask if being a finals MVP is the best criteria to judge leadership. The MVP usually goes to the player who played the best during the series. That often is also the unquestionable team leader but it’s not an absolute.

KD stepped into a very unique situation in Golden State and perhaps can’t be compared to any other finals MVP we’ve seen. At the time, I thought he had arrived and was a above reproach. Events since then have changed my view.

Let's put it like this.... Durant is generally regarded as a top 10-15 player of all-time.

Here is a recent top 15 that theathletic put together:

1. Jordan
2. Lebron
3. Kareem
4. Russell
5. Magic
6. Wilt
7. Bird
8. Shaq
9. Duncan
10. Kobe
11. Hakeem
12. Oscar
13. KD
14. The Logo
15. Steph

Those 15 players don't have to put up with this mindless bullshit. That's my point., He's being arbitrarily subjected to standards no other player in history has had used against them.

I pulled that example because people have in fact questioned his leadership. I don’t necessarily agree but it’s an example, even if not a great one. Most of that question comes from what happened since being a finals MVP, just like KD.

In hindsight, a better retort would have been to ask if being a finals MVP is the best criteria to judge leadership. The MVP usually goes to the player who played the best during the series. That often is also the unquestionable team leader but it’s not an absolute.

KD stepped into a very unique situation in Golden State and perhaps can’t be compared to any other finals MVP we’ve seen. At the time, I thought he had arrived and was a above reproach. Events since then have changed my view.
He's a top 10-15 player all-time. Honestly, who gives a flip if your view changed.

Herman would be crazy to take that job. Nebraska doesn’t really have a recruiting footprint. He’ll have better options than that.
Since he’s doing TV a year after being an analyst, it would appear he’s not being bombarded with big time offers.

Becoming HC in the B1G at a program that today would celebrate 8-4 doesn’t sound terrible.

* I asked a source inside the program this week about Barryn Sorrell because it seems like there's been less buzz about him in the last few weeks than there was in the spring. "I don't know how many sacks he's going to have or if he's an all-Big 12 player or anything like that, but I can tell you that he's vital to our defense. There might be a bigger gap between him and the next guy up at the Jack than anywhere else on the defense.”
General comment. Unless you hear this come out of Bo Davis' mouth with time for a follow up question, don' t print it. You are setting yourself up for dumb predictions by relying on chirping from the same AD employees who have been so wrong in the past.
Alfred Collins simply didn't have the camp he needed to have. It seems like his hand is closer to the wall the light switch is on, rather than the light switch itself.
Curious on @Alex Dunlap 's opinion, but Collins has been pretty solid every time he has been on the field at UT. maybe he's not a practice player or has some other bad habits.
Confidence remains high for Jaylan Ford at middle linebacker. "He's not the same player from 2021," one source said. "I think he's among the least of our concerns."
ditto. Ford looked good against Utah in the 2020 bowl game and i can't believe PK and Choate trotted Brockermeyer out first in 2021.

Weird thing is that coaches rarely replace underperforming starters at the non-skill positions during the year. It's pretty obvious that Thornton, Brockermeyer, Coburn and Foster should have taken seats at some point last year....but I guess we could have said the same for PK's 2-4-5.

what would be a better option than Nebraska, in theory?

Nebraska is a better job than most give it credit for at this point. I don’t think Herman will be considered for a top position. Seems like his reputation has been diminished even more since leaving, although that could change if we sux again. If Texas has another losing season, Herman could get a reevaluation. Maybe someplace like North Carolina would give him a shot.

That's quite the opposite of what has occurred. Hence, the discussion of other NBA Finals MVPs and the absurdity of this claim in conjunction with Durant.
I’ve pointed out questions about Durant. You’ve asked what other finals MVP would be looked at the same way. Just because there may not be another finals MVP who compares doesn’t mean the claims about Durant are untrue.

Reactions: Tx Tailgator
He's a top 10-15 player all-time. Honestly, who gives a flip if your view changed.
I didn’t say he isn’t a top player performance-wise. Who gives a flip if your view hasn’t changed? I’m clearly not the only one thinking that way. And for all of Barkley’s shortcomings, which I agree with you on, he’s in a better possession to question than either of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tx Tailgator
Nebraska sits in the desert when it comes to talent natural resources.

The state of Nebraska has two four-stars in the entire state for the 2023 class and 3 high three stars.

Baylor can find that much within 20 miles of each direction of its campus.
but could it also be said that Nebraska's geography has not changed since they were really good, just the coaching got bad? they once recruited at a high level until poor HC choices manifested.

Nebraska is a better job than most give it credit for at this point. I don’t think Herman will be considered for a top position. Seems like his reputation has been diminished even more since leaving, although that could change if we sux again. If Texas has another losing season, Herman could get a reevaluation. Maybe someplace like North Carolina would give him a shot.
UNC is a much better job IMO

but could it also be said that Nebraska's geography has not changed since they were really good, just the coaching got bad? they once recruited at a high level until poor HC choices manifested.
The dynamics of recruiting have changed dramatically since the 1990s, when they would go into New Jersey and raid the state for talent.

This years Brooklyn team will be the best they have had since KD has been there. Contract year for Kyrie so he might actually play 65 games. ( Maybe) KD healthy. Let's see how they do. It is KDs team. He is probably right at the end of his prime so it is an important year for him and the Nets.

Not sure how leadership is judged or what makes a great leader but he is the unquestionable leader of the Nets. For better or worse.

Reactions: lhbenlee
This years Brooklyn team will be the best they have had since KD has been there. Contract year for Kyrie so he might actually play 65 games. ( Maybe) KD healthy. Let's see how they do. It is KDs team. He is probably right at the end of his prime so it is an important year for him and the Nets.

Not sure how leadership is judged or what makes a great leader but he is the unquestionable leader of the Nets. For better or worse.
Agree with this and if he can pull the team together after demanding to be traded, it will certainly add credibility to his leadership ability.

"He gets mad when we say it, he piggybacked on the Warriors to win his first two championships, but if you go back and look at his career, as the best player and being a leader that all goes with that, he's been an abject failure. I mean, every time he's been like the guy who has to be the leader and the best player he has not had success."

I'm a pretty huge Barkley fan as a lifelong Sixers fan, but there's literally not one thing in Barkley's career that surpasses Durant's accomplishments. It should be said that the Sixers went 35-47 in his last season in Philly before he barged his way out of Philly, while never getting beyond the Eastern Conference semis in his final seven seasons as "the best player." His Sixers missed the playoffs twice in that time.

Opining on what Durant has done as a leader of a team and how he won his titles is compeltely irrelevant to Charles' career. Just because Durant is a better overall player than Charles does not negate the fact that Charles's assessment of Durant is correct.

The dynamics of recruiting have changed dramatically since the 1990s, when they would go into New Jersey and raid the state for talent.
agreed and I think that money flow can eventually separate the haves from the nots, but with the right HC in place. NE has not had that in a minute.

Agree with this and if he can pull the team together after demanding to be traded, it will certainly add credibility to his leadership ability.
Yea... I am not getting pulled into the leadership argument that is going on in here.:)

Hope KD has a great year. Have a hard time rooting for that team as i really don't like Kyrie.

Reactions: lhbenlee
Yea... I am not getting pulled into the leadership argument that is going on in here.:)

Hope KD has a great year. Have a hard time rooting for that team as i really don't like Kyrie.
Ha.

Agreed. While it may not seem like it, I’m pulling for him to prove me wrong. I want KD to be successful. The dude temporarily turned this lifelong Rockets fan into an OKC and GS fan. The way things ended in Golden State and the way things have gone so far in Brooklyn have been disappointing. The Nets have not been a very likable team.

Regarding the Baylor v Nebraska discussion on built in advantages, Baylor has plenty of mega Donors that PRIVATELY funded a football and basketball facility as well as numerous settlements of rape victims. Their pockets are MUCH deeper than MOST realize, not to mention Ketch's point regarding geography.

They have been doing NIL long before the concept existed...and hypocrisy forever...

Being rid of them is one of the best consequences of the SEC move.

Reactions: TrailsPoppy
ADVERTISEMENT