ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (The three things Texas needs from Shane Buechele..)

Burt will still have a role on this team. If Collin is attracting consistent double teams we can run Burt off the bench to run a go route on single coverage. I don't know if he'll turn into an all around good WR but even if he is a 1 trick pony, that 1 trick is certainly useful. He can affect coverage even if we don't throw it to him.

Most of us thought he was a star as a freshman, who knows where good coaching could take him.

I'm picking up what you're throwing down

Reactions: LonghornsLegend
That didn't happen.

That point was a mere snippet in the article and it could have been better worded. No need to make shit up i an effort to claim I'm making shit up to fit a narrative that doesn't exist within the framework of the column.

Stop going out of your way to be rude in every exchange you have with me on this board.

I was unaware the first string defense was better in scrimmage 2 and the tie was due to the 2nd string. I apologize and completely admit my mistake.

In an effort to say something positive, your GOT feelings mirrored mine through the episode. My heart hurt for Dany when she lost a dragon and immediately went to "Oh damn, it's going to get turned!"

The second string offense had success that day against the second-team defense. Let's not get too carried away by what the score keeping of a scrimmage is.

I should have clarified better.

The 2nd team offense had success against whoever they faced in that 2nd scrimmage. The defense was on its heels that day, right up till the end. The defense has been setting the bar while being the dominating unit throughout camp, but the offense had a great day that scrimmage, against the ones and twos.

Is the whole 2nd string vs. 2nd string angle of the second scrimmage common knowledge at this point? Y'all are talking like it is. Maybe I missed it in a previous OB article.

@Ketchum
"FC" (then) "Barcelona"

It's Fútbol Club Barcelona. Ya gotta respect that the squad's home language and the order of the name/letters. No writer, English or otherwise, messes with the order. I know your reds (and most if not all EPL squads) have FC after the city name, but Barcelona does not. I hope you understand my reluctance to read anything on the topic after that error, much as I would if you gave me your take on the "Texas University Longhorns." (be honest, reading that bothered the s$&t out of you, didn't it?). Love the soccer takes, but it's gotta be better.

Last edited:
I think Shane throws a very nice deep ball. If the receivers catch them, that will really open up the rest of the field.
THIS! It will be a huge part of the offense--this year. Herman does not have just one offense that he forces talent into. He adjusts to talent.

Herman will be here for the next 20. His style of coaching would not go over in the NFL as new to the league. Jimmy is gone, Belichek is well Belichek and has reputation in the league and results. Herman will turn us around and will relish in being Texas being pinnacle program.

Reactions: TexasMcBizzle
Yeah, I found this puzzling as well. I don't see him as a NFL guy and if he's successful here he's a shoe-in to coach at Texas for a decade or more.

Agree, @Ketchum is high. Herman is college football's next 20 year dynasty HC. He'll be at Texas until he's secured a statute and a place in the HOF.

The 2nd team offense had success against whoever they faced in that 2nd scrimmage. The defense was on its heels that day, right up till the end. The defense has been setting the bar while being the dominating unit throughout camp, but the offense had a great day that scrimmage, against the ones and twos.
No, not the first-team offense against the first-team defense.

So does this mean you are going back on your prediction, or are you officially claiming to be a troll on this?
As I've already said, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment. It's not a prediction.

@Ketchum
"FC" (then) "Barcelona"

It's Fútbol Club Barcelona. Ya gotta respect that the squad's home language and the order of the name/letters. No writer, English or otherwise, messes with the order. I know your reds (and most if not all EPL squads) have FC after the city name, but Barcelona does not. I hope you understand my reluctance to read anything on the topic after that error, much as I would if you gave me your take on the "Texas University Longhorns." (be honest, reading that bothered the s$&t out of you, didn't it?). Love the soccer takes, but it's gotta be better.
Forgive me, for I have sinned.

Can someone explain the Barca comments a little further for those of us who don't follow the sport as closely?

Thanks
A list might help.

1. Barca is known for its ability to basically do what it pleases, when it pleases and with whom it pleases. It can use questionable tactics sketchy tactics because at the end of the day, it's barca and there usually are not any pieces in place that can stop them.

2. Well, PSG kind of did to Barca what it does to everyone else.

3. Ironically, despite all of it's Neymar money to spend (in theory), it hasn't found the marketplace ripe because teams are not bending over for them, regardless of the tactics it tries to use. There's been some dirty stuff going on behind the scenes, pushed forward with Barca's planning, but it hasn't opened the doors for a deal. Quite the contrary, actually.

4. Not knowing how to react to teams not willing to be bullied, Barca issued a threat over the weekend that it would pull an offer that was rejected in five seconds if Liverpool didn't change it's mind by a Sunday deadline.

5. That deadline passed without Liverpool so much as responding to it.

A list might help.

1. Barca is known for its ability to basically do what it pleases, when it pleases and with whom it pleases. It can use questionable tactics sketchy tactics because at the end of the day, it's barca and there usually are not any pieces in place that can stop them.

2. Well, PSG kind of did to Barca what it does to everyone else.

3. Ironically, despite all of it's Neymar money to spend (in theory), it hasn't found the marketplace ripe because teams are not bending over for them, regardless of the tactics it tries to use. There's been some dirty stuff going on behind the scenes, pushed forward with Barca's planning, but it hasn't opened the doors for a deal. Quite the contrary, actually.

4. Not knowing how to react to teams not willing to be bullied, Barca issued a threat over the weekend that it would pull an offer that was rejected in five seconds if Liverpool didn't change it's mind by a Sunday deadline.

5. That deadline passed without Liverpool so much as responding to it.
Thanks... what does "an offer" mean in number 4? An offer to buy another player's contract?

One thing that fails to get mentioned enough when discussing Shane's poor late season performances was the predictability of the play calling from Sterlin. My friends and I could predict almost every play call, it was that bad. Kansas DB's were sitting on the routes. No adjustments made. Shane was hurt immensely by this.

@Ketchum, Herman ain't gonna be the bitch of any of the Jones family. Mark that down and etch it in stone.

And I'm a Cowboys fan. Not gonna happen though
This is the exact reason I don't see Herman to Cowboys. I think the timing was perfect for Herman to tell the Texas Brass, "If I come to Texas, here's my list of changes and things I want done and money I want spent to do it with..."

That ain't happening with Jerry because I would imagine Herman's first demand would be locking every Jones out of the draft war room.

One thing that fails to get mentioned enough when discussing Shane's poor late season performances was the predictability of the play calling from Sterlin. My friends and I could predict almost every play call, it was that bad. Kansas DB's were sitting on the routes. No adjustments made. Shane was hurt immensely by this.
I have mentioned the questionable coaching and lack of trust it had in Shane quite a bit. The coaches played with Shane as if they were scared to let him open things up.

This is the exact reason I don't see Herman to Cowboys. I think the timing was perfect for Herman to tell the Texas Brass, "If I come to Texas, here's my list of changes and things I want done and money I want spent to do it with..."

That ain't happening with Jerry because I would imagine Herman's first demand would be locking every Jones out of the draft war room.
It was just a wisecrack of sorts. I didn't mean it.

On Buechele I thought he played very well against OU last year as a true frosh... he needs to do better against the Kansas' of the world to become a game changer. You have to win those games as a no brainer.
I already had that argument with Ketchum a few months ago. I think he forgot that Texas scored about 35 points in that game, and a lot of it was due to the quarterback.

Reactions: texasd11
I already had that argument with Ketchum a few months ago. I think he forgot that Texas scored about 35 points in that game, and a lot of it was due to the quarterback.
There's just not enough data in the world I could have that would convince some of you.

I'm trying to stay away from second week proclamations after they have failed the last two seasons. United looks great, though. Martial emerging is a big deal.
Smart move. Martial showing up, Pogba looking to really hit his stride, Lukaku playing better than many assumed, Matic unlocking the whole scheme....#feelsgood

Smart move. Martial showing up, Pogba looking to really hit his stride, Lukaku playing better than many assumed, Matic unlocking the whole scheme....#feelsgood
I'd love to see them play someone with a pulse in the first two months of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT