ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Time for the Longhorns to jump into Ludicrous Speed...)

@Ketchum
Good stuff. Any word on what Tre Watson is doing? I tried the Google machine today, but came up empty.

Also, my youngest is 5 and starting Kindergarten on Wednesday. It's the end of an era, but the start of an exciting new one.
Trey is back in Cal, I met his uncle a couple of weeks ago in Newport Beach. He told me that Trey loved his experience at Texas.

The biggest recruiting misses should be the RB’s.

Waddle > Moore
I think only people in Houston are saying that at this point. Crazy thing is that Waddle isn't even the starter for Bama at the H-receiver spot. He's listed as second-team behind Jerry Jeudy.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

“You want to talk about looking like Star Wars for some of these quarterbacks.”

Texas head coach Tom Herman on one of the team's third-down packages, which happens to include Malcolm Roach at nose guard, Joseph Ossai and Jeffrey MuCulloch as the outside rushers, and eight defensive backs on the field at the same time.

Make no mistake about it, the deepest and most-talented position in the Texas program is in the defensive backfield.

If the Longhorns were forced to roll out a secondary of Anthony Cook and Kobe Boyce at cornerback, along with Chris Brown, Josh Thompson and DeMarvion Overshown at safety in the season-opener, the Texas coaches probably wouldn't blink.

As it is, all five of those players are on the second-string and likely won't play nearly as much as their abilities might dictate. In a world where the team doesn't have enough depth along the defensive line and linebacker to make the staff feel anywhere close to comfortable, they have quality defensive backs available to them all over the place. In the NFL, the Longhorns would likely make a few trades, but that's not possible at the college level, which means that Todd Orlando has no other choice but to think outside the box and Herman clued us into the staff's thinking.

Put every last one of them on the field when at all possible.

At first blush, you'd worry about a team blowing you up with the running game in a situation where eight defensive backs are on the field, but when a handful of your defensive backs can double as playmaking linebackers and you play in a conference that is so pass-heavy that forcing teams to run the football on offense might just confuse the hell out of them, you can probably get away with going with the "Ludicrous Speed" package.

Oh, it won't be the base defense, but with obvious passing situations?

"I think that's a fun kind of toy to have," Herman continued on. "When you're on first-and-10, we gotta figure out if we can hold up. We've had long discussions ever since the spring about you’ve got to play on first down with at least three d-linemen, at least two corners. Then we'll figure the other six guys out.

"I don't know how you can survive in the run game with 200-pound guys trying to set edges and stuff like that."

You can sense Herman knows what everyone is thinking, yet in obvious passing downs when you just want to get your 11 best possible disrupters on the field at the same time. Why the hell not? We're watching the Longhorns tinker in real time with very unconventional thinking and Herman knows it, but scared money don't make money.

Go ahead and turn your best 11 players on defense loose. Obviously, you'd rather just have a bunch of ass-kicking defensive linemen and linebackers available to you on third downs, but Orlando doesn't have the ideal personnel on defense that he'd optimally desire. Therefore, you have to do what you have to do.

For the Longhorns that might mean playing more defensive backs more snaps than any point in the history of the defense.

No. 2 - A conversation about 2020 recruiting ...

With the commitment of Lufkin defensive back Jerrin Thompson on Sunday, the Longhorns are suddenly up to 14 commitments and we can all sense the number of available slots dwindling, I thought I would take a look at the most important prospects left on the recruiting board for the Longhorns.

Originally, I was going to do a top=10 list, but then it quickly became apparent that I might not be able to put together a top-5 list.

With the recent commitments of Vernon Broughton, Bijan Robinson and others this summer, the Longhorns don't actually have many "needs" left to fill and the recruiting board isn't exactly full of obvious answers to the discussion of which prospects fill out a 20+ member recruiting class.

Outside of top-notch defensive linemen, which Texas just can't get enough of as far as I'm concerned, Tom Herman and Co. have mostly filled the program's cupboard with a working 85-man depth chart that doesn't have a lot of obvious holes.

In fact, I'd list the top three most important remaining prospects like this ...

1. DE - Alfred Collins - Bastrop Cedar Creek

Easily the most important prospect left on the board for the Longhorns. He's No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 as far as I'm concerned. Texas isn't shooting from the layup line on this one, despite the close proximity to the Texas campus. A&M is waging quite a battle for his commitment.

2. WR - Quentin Johnson - Temple

There are two uncommitted top-10 in-state talents left in the entire state and Johnson is one of the two.

3. DE - Princely Umanmielen - Manor

Repeat after me ... defensive linemen, defensive linemen and more defensive linemen.

Once you get beyond those three names, there's a clear drop-off and the discussion becomes muddied. You can throw a guy like Scottsdale (AZ) Saguaro defensive back Kelee Ringo into the equation, but is that even realistic? LV Bunkley-Shelton and J.J. Hester are candidates who both have Texas high on their lists. The Longhorns need a big-time linebacker prospect in this class, but a realistic big-time option hasn't yet arrived.

If we're ranking position needs without any consideration to whether big-time prospects are on the radar or not, I suppose the top five would look like this:

1. DE
2. DT
3. LB
4. RB
5. CB/WR

The real task for the remainder of the 2020 class is to accumulate the best possible talent it can get its hands on ... period. As long as Texas keeps what it has in this class, the remaining needs are few.

No. 3 - Bryan Carrington sends a social media message ...

There are no accidents in life. This Tweet was likely directed at both someone specific and everyone in general.

No. 4 - Remembering Darryl Drake ...

The game of football mourned a loss on Sunday morning with the news that former Texas wide receivers coach and current Pittsburgh Steelers wide receivers coach Darryl Drake passed away at the age of 62.

Considering that it's been 16 years since Drake decided that he was ready to move from the college game to the pros, it's probably easy for time to wash away contributions that are almost two decades in the rear-view mirror, but as someone that got to know Drake just a little bit while covering him during his days in Austin, I thought I would pass along three things that stand out to me all these years later on this sad day.

1. Drake is without question the best wide receivers coach the Longhorns have had in the last quarter-century.

2. What stood out about Drake is that he was equally a tremendous coach on the field and recruiter off of it. Typically, most college coaches are one or the other, but not both. While I wouldn't call Drake the best recruiter on those early Mack Brown years (he probably ranked No. 2 behind a young Tim Brewster), I don't have any qualms with calling him the best position coach on Brown's original staff.

He wasn't just the coach that recruited the "Big Three" of Roy Williams, BJ Johnson and Sloan Thomas, but he was also the guy that helped turn Wane McGarity into an overnight sensation in 1998 and was the man who had unlocked the Montrell Flowers padlock before injuries ended his career early in the 2000 season.

There never appeared to be anything flashy about Drake, but his no-nonsense attitude connected with the players he recruited and coached. In a sport full of BS con-artists, there was never any BS with him.

3. Finally, a story about Drake.

Back in December of 1999 (I believe), Drake was on the phone with a co-worker of mine in the recruiting industry, discussing Texarkana Texas High athlete Nathan Vasher.

Vasher was a bit of a late bloomer on the recruiting scene and as Vasher was close to heading to his official visit to College Station, which many expected him to commit on, Drake hadn't been able to convince Mack Brown that the Longhorns should offer Vasher.

My co-worker mentioned to him that Vasher was a total bad-ass and was going to be playing for the Aggies if Drake didn't convince Brown that he needed Vasher.

So, Drake stood on the table for Vasher and told him that the kid would kick his ass as an Aggie for four years if Mack didn't offer.

Mack offered. Vasher committed right away and never made the A&M visit if I'm recalling the events correctly.
EBuPt6aXsAArcIx

No. 5 - Longhorns Pre-season Report Card ...

Here's a look at how each of the rookie Longhorns in the NFL did in their first pre-season action of the season.

Offensive lineman Calvin Anderson: Did not play for the Jets in 31-22 loss to the Giants. Not a good sign.

Tight end Andrew Beck: Caught a pass for zero yards (had two total targets) and had a holding penalty. Oh, and he rushed for three yards at running back because the Patriots are playing him in a tight end/fullback role.

Cornerback Kris Boyd: Did not play for the Vikings this weekend against the Saints, which opened the door for former Longhorn starter Duke Thomas to get 42 game reps in his place.

Cornerback Davante Davis: The Seahawks placed him on Injured Reserve this week and it's unknown if he'll stay with the team or if they will release him with an injury settlement.

Wide receiver Lil'Jordan Humphrey: Led the Saints in receiving with 42 yards on two receptions. His 33-yard touchdown reception was the play of the night for the Saints. Considering he's been inconsistent in camp, showing big in his first game was huge for him.

Cornerback P.J. Locke: Played a few snaps for the Steelers in week one, recording one tackle. At this point, it doesn't seem like he's created a lot of buzz.

Defensive end Charles Omenihu: Played in 14 snaps on defense and three snaps on special teams for the Texans on Friday night.

Offensive lineman Patrick Vahe: Played in five snaps for the Ravens in the win over Jacksonville. It looks like he has a long way to go.

No. 6 - With an eye on LSU in September ...

Three notes from the weekend...

* Starting quarterback Joe Burrow missed LSU's first scrimmage of training camp on Saturday and with sophomore quarterback Myles Brennan running the show on offense, the defense pretty much had its way with the LSU offense.

“We’re not the same team without Joe in there,” Ed Orgeron said. “We’re not there yet. The offense had been having a tremendous week with Joe in there, without Joe they aren’t the same.

“I’m glad the defense came along today, because all week the offense had been moving the ball on them. There were some concerns there. The defense started off with the upper hand. The offense came along, made some big plays. It was a see-saw battle.”

* True freshman Derek Stingley Jr. might have been the star of the day with two interceptions.

* The Tigers appear set on leaning on true freshman Cade York at place-kicker and the former McKinney (Texas) High player was eight of 10 in the scrimmage.

“Obviously, he’s taller (than graduated placekicker Cole Tracy) and he has bigger range," Orgeron said. "He kicked a 59-yarder in the all-star game, he kicked a 51-yarder today, had some length to it.

“I think he has a stronger leg (than Tracy). Cole had that magic about him. I think Cade will, too. Cade is a more polished kicker at a younger age than Cole was, but he obviously has to prove it in front of a crowd.”

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

(Sell) It's pretty clear early on that he's going to be a good player in time, but he's got three older players in front of him at nose tackle, including what might be the best two defensive linemen on the team before the season is over in Keondre Coburn and Moro Ojomo. The more open path to playing time is probably at 4i-technique, a position he's also been taking reps at. Since I'm not sold on anyone at defensive end, it's certainly possible that he could emerge as a guy that blows past a crowded area, but for now I think the smart money is on a four-game (or less) season.

(Sell) There's probably a better chance that Oklahoma plays someone different in the Big 12 title game than Texas playing someone else. I've picked Texas to win the Big 12 this season, but Oklahoma is the favorite in the conference for a reason.

(Buy) My official Rivals forecast says yes.

(Sell) I think a strong case can be made for your statement, but at the end of the day, the quarterback position is the most important player in college football by a mile. The Longhorns have never had a bad ass quarterback that was bad ass because of his left tackle.

(Sell) Let's see how the next week of camp goes, but all of the first-team skill guys are drawing rave reviews and it sounds like the offense was dealing on Sunday in the team's first major scrimmage.

(Sell) Give me the DCTF cover on the left.

(Buy) Pending the report back on Keontay Ingram, the Longhorns are down to their last two scholarship running backs on Monday. If you're wondering, the only non-scholarship running backs on the Texas roster appear to be sophomore Jaren Watkins from Little Rock, Arkansas and redshirt freshman Jarrett Smith of Clear Brook High. Where's Jamison Berryhill when you need him?

(Sell) If you have to ask, the answer is no.

(Buy) Seems like the smart money. Yes, that probably means that Ehlinger misses a game at some point this season. I'm not saying Ehlinger won't stay healthy all season, I'm just saying it hasn't happened yet and until it does, we probably shouldn't just assume that he'll do so in a breeze.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... I thought the Cowboys looked pretty good in the pre-season opener. As much as I gripe about knowing that this team probably won't win another Super Bowl for another quarter-century, there's really no denying that the Cowboys have a talented team from 1-53.

... Other random Cowboys thoughts: Grab Tony Pollard stock while you can. I don't think Jerry/Stephen is going to blink on Zeke. Michael Gallup is going to be a very sneaky fantasy pick-up, as Dak Prescott loves him. Speaking of Dak, if he gets hurt, the Cowboys are toast. I'm not sure the team has ever been worse at the backup quarterback position.

... Hard Knocks should be fun this week if HBO has any guts (or any freedom to have guts).

... I didn't watch a single MLB game this weekend, but if they play that game in Iowa next year, I'll be in. That sounds totally bad ass.

... Getting this card graded was the smartest thing the owner probably ever done. Wow.

... Opening weekend of the EPL snapshots: Liverpool and Man City are still incredibly good. If Raheem Sterling stays healthy, he might score 30 goals this year. Tanguy Ndombele is really good. I'm still not sure what to think of Manchester United and Chelsea ... for a host of different reasons. Top 4 prediction off of one weekend of observations: 1) Liverpool 2) Manchester City 3) Tottenham 4) Manchester United

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 Biggest Recruiting Misses that could help the 2019 Longhorns ...

Let's play a little game. You can take any player that the Longhorns "just missed out on" in recruiting and add them to this Texas team. Is it as easy as selecting the top defensive lineman or linebacker available? Is there an offensive player that you would snap up if possible?

I was curious to see how I would answer the questions with some deeper thought.

Here's what I came up with (only active players from the 2015-2019) classes are eligible.

10. Defensive end DeMarvin Leal (Freshman/Texas A&M)

I don't care that he's a true freshman. He's a future superstar and he'd be a possible 10 sacks per season guy in this Todd Orlando defense.

9. Cornerback Jeff Okudah (Junior Ohio State)

Had a breakout performance as a sophomore last year in the Rose Bowl and many in Columbus believe he's about to emerge as a superstar for the Buckeyes. He just has to prove it.

8. Linebacker/Defensive end K'Lavon Chaisson (Redshirt sophomore/LSU)

One of the most important defensive players on the LSU team, despite missing almost all of last season. Ed Orgeron believes he's a double-digit sack man this year if he can stay healthy.

7. Running back Eno Benjamin (Junior/Arizona State)

All he did a season ago was run for 1,600+ yards, while earning third-team AP All-America honors. You're damn right he'd be a starter right now.

6. Wide receiver Jaylen Waddle (Sophomore/Alabama)

As loaded as Texas is at wide receiver, Waddle would absolutely be a starting monster for the Longhorns. Can you imagine what he'd do to Big 12 defenses?

5. Defensive tackle Marvin Wilson (Junior/Florida State)

Wilson recorded 42 tackles, including 4.5 for loss with 3.5 sacks as a part-time starter for the Noles. If he can stay healthy, he projects as one of the best defensive linemen in the ACC this year and a future high NFL draft pick.

4. Offensive Lineman Walker Little (Junior/Stanford)

Little is entering his third season as a starter for the Cardinal and is projected as a future high NFL draft choice. Can you imagine this Texas team with bookend tackles like Little and Sam Cosmi? Holy hell.

3. Running back J.K. Dobbins (Junior/Ohio State)

He's on his way to being remembered as one of the best running backs in the history of the Ohio State program. Dobbins would be absolutely perfect in the Texas offense.

2. Linebacker Dylan Moses (Junior/Alabama)

Moses is the next great Alabama linebacker and is projected to be a first-team All-America level player this season. Led the Tide in tackles a season ago as a sophomore.

1. Rondale Moore (Sophomore/Purdue)

He's the most electrifying player in the country. I know Texas has bigger needs, but this guy the only player on the list worth the price of any admission.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

My kids Hendrix and Haven officially become kindergarteners on Thursday and I have to make a confession...

I've found myself really sad this weekend knowing that they are growing up. There's a part of me that wants to keep them at the age of five forever.
The next time you look up; H.S. graduation will be around the corner. Enjoy it while you can.

Ketch, you either missed or ignored my buy-sell about BJ. We may be in need of another RB, I get that they like Jake, but isn’t BJ a better option if the need arises? (Let’s hope it doesn’t).
Probably.

On 10 biggest misses, I thinks it’s safe to say the 2017 class, certainly not Herman’s fault, was pretty bad in terms of misses and who Texas signed and what they’ve done to date.

Sam and Johnson, who was a late signee, are certainly studs and Cosmi, another late signee, is heading towards a high draft pick but for a class entering year 3 in the program, very little production from the class. Seven of the 10 listed were in that class and everyone of them would have been a significant contributor by now

As fun as it is to think what it would be like with Rondale Moore, the answer has to be one of the DL or Moses at absolute need positions right now.

ketch..

thoughts on this?

Landing likelihood...

RB Jordan - 100%
WR Johnston - TCU lean - i put us at 40%
WR Bunkley-Shelton - nope
WR Hester - 80%
DL Collins - Aggies gaining ground - Texas at 50%
DL Princely - not looking good (OU lean), but maybe Sept visit turns it.
DL Carlton - not sure why folks think we have a shot here.
LB White - if visit ... maybe.. ?
LB Whitehead - no opinion
DB J Thompson - 99%
Eaton - 50%
Alford - I don't see it happening

I think only people in Houston are saying that at this point. Crazy thing is that Waddle isn't even the starter for Bama at the H-receiver spot. He's listed as second-team behind Jerry Jeudy.
People that saw both players in person say that.

Texas finally has their slot guy with Smith. Walker Little or a RB should be 1,2,and 3.

And, then you look at the punt return game. Waddle... not even close imo.

People that saw both players in person say that.

Texas finally has their slot guy with Smith. Walker Little or a RB should be 1,2,and 3.

And, then you look at the punt return game. Waddle... not even close imo.
Rondale Moore could have come out this year and he'd have been a top 15 pick.

Agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: wfoot
Texas is Texas again. You should be able to figure it out. I am not thinking we immediately win a NC, but we are back as far as being able to play with anyone. Step up.

Reactions: tex17
@Ketchum

Sorry that sadness doesn't go away, but it is replaced with a sense of pride as you see your kids spread their wings and establish themselves.

Daughter #1 left Saturday, a little early since she has this week as a work week for her sorority, and she begins her senior year in ChemE.

Daughter #2 gets moved into her apartment this Friday.

Enjoy these times. They go too damn fast.

No. 10 – And Finally ...

My kids Hendrix and Haven officially become kindergarteners on Thursday and I have to make a confession...

I've found myself really sad this weekend knowing that they are growing up. There's a part of me that wants to keep them at the age of five forever.

And then, suddenly, they are parents themselves. WTH? Time accelerates.

That missed out on top recruits list really punched me straight in the dick. Good job. Zero likes for you OP.

May god have mercy on your soul.

@Ketchum

Sorry that sadness doesn't go away, but it is replaced with a sense of pride as you see your kids spread their wings and establish themselves.

Daughter #1 left Saturday, a little early since she has this week as a work week for her sorority, and she begins her senior year in ChemE.

Daughter #2 gets moved into her apartment this Friday.

Enjoy these times. They go too damn fast.
you're depressing me.

Reactions: BuckarooBanzai63
Starting quarterback Joe Burrow missed LSU's first scrimmage of training camp on Saturday and with sophomore quarterback Myles Brennan running the show on offense, the defense pretty much had its way with the LSU offense.

Is he injured?

Speaking of Dak, if he gets hurt, the Cowboys are toast. I'm not sure the team has ever been worse at the backup quarterback position.

Lucky for y’all Eagles are in the same position with Sudfeld breaking his wrist. Heck he may have been good for a game but that’s it. His live action outside the preseason game is concerning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT