ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman has exceeded my expectations...)

Ketch, a couple weeks ago you stated you would not bet that TH would win a natl. championship in 10 yrs. Still sticking to that bet?

My guess is more to come on Ole Miss and Freeze. NCAA to come down hard. Players given a pass to transfer w/o losing a year. Greg Little comes home to TX. Hook em.

Some did.... I know a handful that helped recruit and make donations based on their faith in his ability to turn us around quickly.
Sure there were people who predicted a quick turnaround and they were spot on but I'm talking about specifics. I don't recall predictions taking over recruiting in the state by July 2017, redoing the locker room to put it in the upper echelon of college football by July 2017, and being THE coach at Big12 Media Days in July 2017. Herman is blowing by people The mods are dialed into recruiting and they've been two steps behind Herman all summer. Flipping Cameron Rising from OU was uncharted territory

I like it. Herman has been great but I have to think a major reason things are getting done so fast is becAuse of all the pressure of losing adding up over the years. Fenves, Perrin and boosters had enough of the egg on their face. I was no Charlie fan but I guarantee you he asked for things that were flatly denied where Herman is gettting basically carte Blanche for now.

Also how are you figuring your all time db class ratings? On theoretical potential rivals stars? or the look test? Because so far your #2 class of 2015: Holton Hill, Kris Boyd, DaVante Davis, P.J. Locke and DeShon Elliott, have been total losers being part of some of the worst defenses in world history. Hopefully they turn the tide this year.
Yeah, great article ketch, but putting that group #2 on your list of best DBs is an insult to every group that has achieved and performed. That could be the most bizarre inclusion this side of Texags throwing McNeal ahead of VY. I can't even figure out the metrics you may have measured.

DB class #5 is better than #2 at this point unless you are just looking at star ranking going in.I wouldn't count out Herman landing some real stud OL and DL this year,probaly OOS.--utx

Hell, there were people in Austin that were ready to give Charlie Strong a statue in the early part of his tenure after sitting down with Roger Goodell during the NFL's damage control tour following the Ray Rice situation.

Who? I vant names and location of zees people. Zay must be shot.
half this board.

I was viewed as jealous for saying that not much would arrive from that.

I'm cool with TH playing rap pregame as long as they get rid of the stupid field speakers. Just play music on one set. Mack played rap pregame and I always thought it was fine. I never understood why they did the two speaker set system. I assume it was the consultants that Patterson hired. Regardless it sounded horrible.
Mack also played Lee Ann Womack.

Comparing Plonsky to Herman is probably the silliest thing on this site this week. One is about excellence and winning, the other is a turf-building bureaucrat.

UA and ASU get a large amount of their student body from CA, as does CU. They ain't leaving the PAC.
The comparison from a source was related to not wanting to cross either.

Ketch, a couple weeks ago you stated you would not bet that TH would win a natl. championship in 10 yrs. Still sticking to that bet?
I think the odds are still more in favor of it not happening than it happening, but I have always believed it to be possible.

Yeah, great article ketch, but putting that group #2 on your list of best DBs is an insult to every group that has achieved and performed. That could be the most bizarre inclusion this side of Texags throwing McNeal ahead of VY. I can't even figure out the metrics you may have measured.
It was about where the guys were ranked when they were recruited, not the results they have created once they landed on campus.

Reactions: BobR and HornLegacy
DB class #5 is better than #2 at this point unless you are just looking at star ranking going in.I wouldn't count out Herman landing some real stud OL and DL this year,probaly OOS.--utx
all about rankings going in.

Comparing Plonsky to Herman is probably the silliest thing on this site this week. One is about excellence and winning, the other is a turf-building bureaucrat.

UA and ASU get a large amount of their student body from CA, as does CU. They ain't leaving the PAC.

I have heard Plonsky speak once in a small group setting and bureaucrat is a good description of how I perceived her. She also did not strike me as a die hard Longhorn. She talked about being a Notre Dame fan growing up in Chicago. It is past time to move on from her but I'm sure the optics are difficult to deal with. I do not believe in the concept of separate AD's for mens and women's sports. I believe that you have to have one clear vision for all sports. Apparently, we are the only school that has 2. I have also met Perrin and the contrast between the 2 could not be more stark. I would like to see a long term replacement for Perrin in the near future and would also like to see us eliminate the women's AD post but that is not likely to happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

This. The only similarities are they both like women.

Nice column, Ketch. Couple of thoughts:
  1. Spieth's career trajectory may have just changed on #13. No matter how mentally strong you are or how good your game is, it is really tough (if not damn near impossible) to exorcise the demons of melting down with a comfortable lead on Sunday of major. Undoubtedly, Spieth has had some incredibly dramatic wins/finishes that nobody playing today has, but to overcome what he did, when he did, has him going in a different direction going forward. In my mind, he went from Phil type of career (undoubtedly great) to a Tiger type of career (GOAT conversation). Yes, early to say that for an almost 24 year-old, but I am witness of what happened yesterday. Last comment on why I believe this - his acceptance speech and presser was almost as good as his golf if not better. The kid is so well grounded and his maturity is well beyond his years. Let's enjoy his journey.
  2. Speaking of the GOAT, too soon to put Herman there? I jest, but man, what is not to love out of what you see from him on every level? Whether it is 8-4, 9-3, or 10-2, I am convinced we have the RIGHT guy. He is our game changer. Love every little nugget we get on him and what he is doing.
  3. I was struck by the Heard comment and yet, I completely agree. I am fan of this kid. Hope he continues to make an impact for the team no matter what position he technically plays. He is a game changer with the ball in his hands. Beck needs to be as creative as possible with Heard's use.
  4. As far as the 2019 QB debate...there is no debate in my book. I am stoked about RJ. That is nothing against Tisdale, but at this moment, based on what we know about both...we have the right kid to lead the 2019 class. Maybe Casey Thompson can have a word with Tisdale about staying "invested" in Texas and not writing us off because of what some other QB does. Just a thought. Not at all expecting the 2019 class to land two high end QB's again (fingers crossed), but we need to take 2 each class IMO.
  5. Am I the only that doesn't like seeing Kendall Briles name associated with that class of DB's? I could go further by saying I hate saying his name associated with UT in general. Well, I guess I just did. So there's that.

I'm cool with TH playing rap pregame as long as they get rid of the stupid field speakers. Just play music on one set. Mack played rap pregame and I always thought it was fine. I never understood why they did the two speaker set system. I assume it was the consultants that Patterson hired. Regardless it sounded horrible.

Its because Plonskey wouldn't allow more than two speakers since volleyball games only had two speakers.....I kid, I kid.

I think

Reactions: Okie4horns
Talked to a former softball player who transferred to Aggy about Plonsky. Wasn't a fan to say the least.

I have heard Plonsky speak once in a small group setting and bureaucrat is a good description of how I perceived her. She also did not strike me as a die hard Longhorn. She talked about being a Notre Dame fan growing up in Chicago. It is past time to move on from her but I'm sure the optics are difficult to deal with. I do not believe in the concept of separate AD's for mens and women's sports. Apparently, we are the only school that has 2. I have also met Perrin and the contrast between the 2 could not be more stark. I would like to see a long term replacement for Perrin in the near future and would like to see us eliminate the women's AD post but that is not likely to happen.
some of you act like she doesn't provide any immense value, while everyone that works there tells a different story.

Does she warrant removing? A strong case can absolutely be mad? Is she value-less? Come on...

Been a believer that Heard "could" have been a really good College QB with the right coach and system. Glad to hear you say nearly that.

Just what I was thinking. Heard coming out of HS looked just like all of these dual threat QBs (and better than some) that we're drooling over today. Not saying that we shouldn't be excited about these kids ... saying Charlie & Co. failed to develop and put Heard in a position to succeed as a QB. If they had, we might have a senior stud dual threat QB starting this year, backed up by an emerging stud in Shane and a Big 12 Championship could have been a reasonable expectation.

Just what I was thinking. Heard coming out of HS looked just like all of these dual threat QBs (and better than some) that we're drooling over today. Not saying that we shouldn't be excited about these kids ... saying Charlie & Co. failed to develop and put Heard in a position to succeed as a QB. If they had, we might have a senior stud dual threat QB starting this year, backed up by an emerging stud in Shane and a Big 12 Championship could have been a reasonable expectation.
well, Heard is now the third-string quarterback. He might still get his chance.

Reactions: teyon shoes
Other than the volleyball program, not sure what Plonsky has to show for on the field success on the Women's side of the house during her tenure as AD. Most of the programs have treaded water under her leadership and of course the highest profile program - basketball - digressed significantly during her tenure and softball has been a straight disappointment other than the "Cat Years".

Now, if she made a big difference in revenue generation I get it, money talks and B.S. walks, but still for the average UT Alum/Fan we would like to have seen our Women bring home some more hardware.

I personally get great enjoyment out of watching our girls win. I like how they celebrate better than the guys and there is something special about the purity of amateur athletics on the female side since there are generally no $$$ waiting for them at the next level. So a few more teams/seasons worth celebrating with the girls would be much appreciated.

Reactions: RIOHORNFAN
Sounds like you came to the Plonsky defense a bit there...I thought Chip's article was great & showed the true nature of (thank you Lil Rascals) a true he-woman man hater.

I'm gonna be the happiest SOB in the world when shes no longer in our athletic lives.

Nice column, Ketch. Couple of thoughts:
  1. Spieth's career trajectory may have just changed on #13. No matter how mentally strong you are or how good your game is, it is really tough (if not damn near impossible) to exorcise the demons of melting down with a comfortable lead on Sunday of major. Undoubtedly, Spieth has had some incredibly dramatic wins/finishes that nobody playing today has, but to overcome what he did, when he did, has him going in a different direction going forward. In my mind, he went from Phil type of career (undoubtedly great) to a Tiger type of career (GOAT conversation). Yes, early to say that for an almost 24 year-old, but I am witness of what happened yesterday. Last comment on why I believe this - his acceptance speech and presser was almost as good as his golf if not better. The kid is so well grounded and his maturity is well beyond his years. Let's enjoy his journey.
  2. Speaking of the GOAT, too soon to put Herman there? I jest, but man, what is not to love out of what you see from him on every level? Whether it is 8-4, 9-3, or 10-2, I am convinced we have the RIGHT guy. He is our game changer. Love every little nugget we get on him and what he is doing.
  3. I was struck by the Heard comment and yet, I completely agree. I am fan of this kid. Hope he continues to make an impact for the team no matter what position he technically plays. He is a game changer with the ball in his hands. Beck needs to be as creative as possible with Heard's use.
  4. As far as the 2019 QB debate...there is no debate in my book. I am stoked about RJ. That is nothing against Tisdale, but at this moment, based on what we know about both...we have the right kid to lead the 2019 class. Maybe Casey Thompson can have a word with Tisdale about staying "invested" in Texas and not writing us off because of what some other QB does. Just a thought. Not at all expecting the 2019 class to land two high end QB's again (fingers crossed), but we need to take 2 each class IMO.
  5. Am I the only that doesn't like seeing Kendall Briles name associated with that class of DB's? I could go further by saying I hate saying his name associated with UT in general. Well, I guess I just did. So there's that.
Heard may blindside some team. Wouldn't that be great?

Reactions: Hook 'em Danno
The fact that Bellmont Hall officials feel athletic department revenues justify Plonsky is indicative of a misplaced department agenda. As long as the cash kept pouring in, the UT Administration was willing to disregard the Longhorn standard Ketch cited, "Any season at Texas that doesn't end with a conference title or at least a major bowl game is unacceptable." An athletic department more focused on revenues than football championships was responsible for disproportionately low reinvestment in the football program, poor home field atmosphere, and few championships over the past 20 years.

Let's hope with Fenves' and the regents' encouragement, the culture at Bellmont Hall gets rennovated just like the locker rooms.

Reactions: teyon shoes
Can't read the whole thread now but @Ketchum did your conversations on Plonsky cover the specific allegations by the track athlete and the soccer coaches? The comments in your column didn't address that and also didn't discuss the poor performance of her coaches overall.

Reactions: Winter is Coming
Heard may blindside some team. Wouldn't that be great?
200_s.gif

ADVERTISEMENT