ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Tom Herman has exceeded my expectations...)

well, Heard is now the third-string quarterback. He might still get his chance.
and with the acknowledged package of plays can he actually be in better position than most 3rd teamers? I assume we have a chance to see him in nearly all games behind center for at least a play/series.

Yep. I would not be surprised to see some trickeration this season with Heard lining up as WR and somehow throwing the ball.
he is already on the field as WR so they break the huddle and he just lines up at QB, Beuchele moves outside. RP option or get the defense to use a TO up.

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
Entertaining write-up as always Ketch.

Anyone saying 8-4 isn't a high enough bar is CRAZY! Yes, we could 9 or 10. But football is a violent sport and anyone that saw the Spring game knows our 2 deep is not deep enough. We are a QB, RB, OL, or DL injury away from being in real trouble. If we lose a starter at one of those positions in weeks 1-3, then eight wins would be a Godsend.

I'll admit that I underestimated Herman and was dead-ass wrong. But in my defense the comparisons between CS's resume the two years before Texas hired him, and TH's resume the 2 years before Texas wanted to hire him, were extremely similar. It wasn't that TH couldn't be good, it was that he wasn't proven at the highest levels. He wasn't any more proven than the 2013 version of CS. But I was dead wrong and I'm thrilled to admit it.

I will tell you that it would be interesting to see what TH would have been able to do with Peterson as a boss. I think he still would have been better than CS. But I don't think ANYONE was going to get the locker room that we're about to unveil if Peterson was still around.

I believe TH (who had all kinds of leverage - thank you LSU) made it clear in his interviews before being hired, that he's only coming to the 40 acres if he's going to be given ALL the tools he needed to turn things around. This guy had a plan before he even accepted the job at Texas... and I LOVE that.

No, he hasn't won a single game as the Longhorn coach yet, but he's checking every single box that he needs to check to restore the program. And that's all we can ask for. In my opinion, his only mistake thus far is calling A&M a "big boy down the road from us". I hated legitimizing those nose-pickers.

Entertaining write-up as always Ketch.

Anyone saying 8-4 isn't a high enough bar is CRAZY! Yes, we could 9 or 10. But football is a violent sport and anyone that saw the Spring game knows our 2 deep is not deep enough. We are a QB, RB, OL, or DL injury away from being in real trouble. If we lose a starter at one of those positions in weeks 1-3, then eight wins would be a Godsend.

I'll admit that I underestimated Herman and was dead-ass wrong. But in my defense the comparisons between CS's resume the two years before Texas hired him, and TH's resume the 2 years before Texas wanted to hire him, were extremely similar. It wasn't that TH couldn't be good, it was that he wasn't proven at the highest levels. He wasn't any more proven than the 2013 version of CS. But I was dead wrong and I'm thrilled to admit it.

I will tell you that it would be interesting to see what TH would have been able to do with Peterson as a boss. I think he still would have been better than CS. But I don't think ANYONE was going to get the locker room that we're about to unveil if Peterson was still around.

I believe TH (who had all kinds of leverage - thank you LSU) made it clear in his interviews before being hired, that he's only coming to the 40 acres if he's going to be given ALL the tools he needed to turn things around. This guy had a plan before he even accepted the job at Texas... and I LOVE that.

No, he hasn't won a single game as the Longhorn coach yet, but he's checking every single box that he needs to check to restore the program. And that's all we can ask for. In my opinion, his only mistake thus far is calling A&M a "big boy down the road from us". I hated legitimizing those nose-pickers.
good post. thanks for taking the time.

Can't read the whole thread now but @Ketchum did your conversations on Plonsky cover the specific allegations by the track athlete and the soccer coaches? The comments in your column didn't address that and also didn't discuss the poor performance of her coaches overall.
all of the comments were made in the context of getting a reaction to that specific story and other allegations in article.

he is already on the field as WR so they break the huddle and he just lines up at QB, Beuchele moves outside. RP option or get the defense to use a TO up.

I was thinking Jet Sweep with an option to run or pass after Heard has the ball.

Preach.

Your Heard response makes me depise CS even more than I already did. What a waste. He deserves to flame out again @ Flo Rida directional.

Great read. Glad to hear your gut says your staff will be around, too. You really have a killer OB staff right now.

Jordan was in incredible moment. We just witnessed a very talented man dig deep into his bag of demons, face them all in front of God and everyone, and do something he was never guaranteed to do--overcome them. Maybe he even exorcized them. That was an incredible thing to witness.

Good job just expanding the conversation on Plonsky. Nothing definitive, I would say, but it still helps to add perspective.

Regarding Herman, he has made one decision that I've seen so far that was a red flag--hiring Horny. It was a decision that made you think, "are we win the right way, or win at any cost?" And that question is still alive. But set aside that one head scratching moment, and I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach come out of the gate like Herman has. Incredible performance so far. Outstanding follow through. Outstanding connection to the Texas culture--hell, he seems more proud to be a horn than half the folks on the board who were born wearing burnt orange diapers.

I'm incredibly impressed. I really, really hope he wins the way he is planning to here. That would be one fun ride to take with this man and the teams he is working to assemble.
Ketch keeping the OB band together
maxresdefault.jpg

Mack also played Lee Ann Womack.

Yes he did. I hope you dance is a great song and the players voted on it. You missed my point. Rap was fine. Why on earth they went with a two speaker system is beyond me. It's terrible.

Comparing Plonsky to Herman is probably the silliest thing on this site this week. One is about excellence and winning, the other is a turf-building bureaucrat.

UA and ASU get a large amount of their student body from CA, as does CU. They ain't leaving the PAC.
To think Plonsky and Herman are alike is a huge insult to Herman, and says that we have two disciplcable individuals in power who's whole agenda is to consume power without regard to anyone, much less the University.

To think Plonsky and Herman are alike is a huge insult to Herman, and says that we have two disciplcable individuals in power who's whole agenda is to consume power without regard to anyone, much less the University.
I took it as they were two people you didn't want pissed at you.

explain. what wasn't addressed?
It looks like a track athlete was treated piss poor and it looks like a buddy/buddy system for hiring coaches when said coaches performed piss poor. I didn't see that refuted in your comments from the people you spoke with; granted their intent was likely to not to respond allegations but the track athlete and the soccer's coach were the two things that stuck out to me from Chip's column and I don't feel "better" about that by reading about how tough and revenue driven Plonsky is.

Not a shot at you Ketch. If the story about the young track lady is true, that's a story in itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMS777
It looks like a track athlete was treated piass poor and it looks like a buddy/buddy system for hiring coaches when said coaches performed piss poor. I didn't see that refuted in your comments from the people you spoke with; granted their intent was likely to not to respond allegations but the track athlete and the soccer's coach were the two things that stuck out to me from Chip's column and I don't feel "better" about that by reading about how tough and revenue driven Plonsky is.

Not a shot at you Ketch. If the story about the young track lady is true, that's a story in itself.
Just to be clear.

a. One high level Texas source felt like this wouldn't make a bis splash, ultimately. Another I spoke with believes that everyone read the article in the AD, but that source was unclear if it would mean anything.

b. Another women's AD employee felt like they would just not acknowledge it.

c. Both athletes felt like the type of stuff that happened to the track athlete happens all the time.

It remains to be seen if that article will be remembered internally by the end of the week. This story just might not stick.

Just to be clear.

a. One high level Texas source felt like this wouldn't make a bis splash, ultimately. Another I spoke with believes that everyone read the article in the AD, but that source was unclear if it would mean anything.

b. Another women's AD employee felt like they would just not acknowledge it.

c. Both athletes felt like the type of stuff that happened to the track athlete happens all the time.

It remains to be seen if that article will be remembered internally by the end of the week. This story just might not stick.

Of course the Women's AD staff hope it goes away, but why should it be allowed to not stick externally?

I just watched the replay of the Open on the Golf Channel, and I still can't believe what I saw. Jordan had the same look in his eyes that VY had in his when it was 4th and 6 against USC. There is something very special about "WINNERS". Really proud to have great young men like Jordan and KD representing my great university. Hook "em!

Roger had that look in the 2003 CWS way back when. Facing a guy who had a hit something like 12 straight plate appearances in the series or something like that with the game on the line, he punched het guy out. Compete focus. I have never seen such fierce determination on a player's face in my life.

I don't think they hope that it goes away. I think they just expect it to.

Would a little digging from an investigative message board, along with a little cooperation from an insider that doesn't want it to go away, bring it to a wider audience?

The problems are night and day different, but isn't Baylor still hoping it will go away?

Would a little digging from an investigative message board, along with a little cooperation from an insider that doesn't want it to go away, bring it to a wider audience?

The problems are night and day different, but isn't Baylor still hoping it will go away?
a. I have my doubts.

b. definitely day and night.

I have the impression you think it isn't that bid a deal? My dislike for Plonsky is probably coloring my perception.
My impression is that those I have spoken to believe that.

I'd like more info, specifically, I like to have Plonsky's response to the charges made by the former track athlete.

My impression is that those I have spoken to believe that.

I'd like more info, specifically, I like to have Plonsky's response to the charges made by the former track athlete.

I'd like to hear her response, too. But if they won't publicly ackonowlege the question, not much chance of getting it.

I've resisted the GoT hype for 7 years because dragons and shit ain't my bag, baby. But if Tom Herman watches it, maybe I should reconsider.

I've resisted the GoT hype for 7 years because dragons and shit ain't my bag, baby. But if Tom Herman watches it, maybe I should reconsider.
Not only watches, but begs his wife not to watch it without him.

I think quite honestly, the DB class could simply finish with Jamison and be the best DB class in modern Texas recruiting history. I mean, which one even comes close? The '01 class was good, but people forget that Huff was a 3-star and Briles was a HS QB. Gosh almighty, add Jamison to this class and you EASILY have 3 of the top 4 corners in the state along with arguably the 3 best safeties. Adding Cook is simply icing on top of icing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT