ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Trying to explain the thing that you're going to hate...)

For no reason? Other than the constant insults, right?
Laughable. Anyway, it looks to me like Shaka will be here next year. I can't do anything about it, so I'm going to support the guy. There are a lot of coaches (Coach K, among others) who have had rough 1-5 years, felt some heat, then succeeded big time.

Laughable. Anyway, it looks to me like Shaka will be here next year. I can't do anything about it, so I'm going to support the guy. There are a lot of coaches (Coach K, among others) who have had rough 1-5 years, felt some heat, then succeeded big time.
I'm not sure you have a complete and fair understanding of the relationship with that particular poster.

The fact that he literally questioned the content on this site and our character as reporters, while lazily being unable to support his ridiculous claims, was enough for me to finally say, "No more."

I agree with the rest of your post.

Let's hope CDC has the respect that he will be left alone on these decisions. AD's like Mike Perrin, while nice guys, don't have the political heft to be the decision-maker. Historically, even powerful AD's like Deloss Dodds had been steamrolled in these hirings.

The problem at Texas is that the president, not the athletic director, is the university official given the authority to make the ultimate decision on hiring/firing coaches. Because of the president's background as a fellow academician and his role in recruiting faculty members, he's more susceptible to faculty and political influences than the athletic director, who's focused on winning championships and finances.

Does anyone know the loss in revenues from having an apathetic fan base? I estimate that a loss of 3k-4k fans a night amounts to over $1M/year. Alums could come up with another $2M/year over 4 years to fund a buyout.

Funding a new hire is very doable financially so don't pretend that it's not. The harder part is the black eye that the athletic department gets for making 2 pitiful hires. No one wants to admit that they have sucked at hiring (and renewing), and Shaka is the nail in the coffin after CS and SP.

You have to admit your mistakes in life and move on. It's scary that CS would still be our head coach if he beats Kansas.

I, like everyone here am a Chris Del Conte fan, and I think he will do the right thing. At the same time I think he settled on the new arena if the reports that the seating will only be 10,000 are true. I hope that he doesn't settle by keeping Shaka around for one more year. We all talk about the large sum that UT is going to have to pay out if Shaka is fired. But the new arena is not being paid for by UT. That is some huge bucks being saved. Yes the South End Zone project is a big number. But it's amazing how other schools seem to get things done fixing facilities. I was at TCU last week and again they are making improvements to Amon Carter stadium. They also fixed their basketball facility. It sure would be intriguing to know what coaches(especially Beard) might or might not be interesting. CDC has to have a feel for this. You just can't pass on Beard right now IF you can get him.

The problem at Texas is that the president, not the athletic director, is the university official given the authority to make the ultimate decision on hiring/firing coaches. Because of the president's background as a fellow academician and his role in recruiting faculty members, he's more susceptible to faculty and political influences than the athletic director, who's focused on winning championships and finances.

I don't think that is true. ADs hire and fire lots of coaches on their own. Usually not the high profile sports, but Presidents are rarely involved in firings of men's golf or women's tennis coaches. Sure if there are legal issues (like the track coach) the lawyers get involved. I do not know of any Regent's Rule or similar university policy that says it is the President's decision to hire or fire coaches. Can you point to something in writing that says it is the President with authority, not the AD? Large coaching contracts are eventually approved by the Board of Regents, but that is usually a rubber stamp to what the university decided. UT-Austin is managed by consensus in most big decisions. No AD is going to go against a President, but Presidents don't take actions opposed by the Chief Business Officer or VP for Legal either. Decisions are generally arrived collectively in my experience. A lot depends on personalities and how strongly the relevant administrators feel about an issue. Presidents have certainly inserted themselves into this process on big hires, but I do not think there is something in writing designating the President as the decisionmaker on hirings and not the Athletic Director.

It's scary that CS would still be our head coach if he beats Kansas.

No he wouldn't be. He would have bought more time with a win, but he would keep losing and have been fired by now. If it wasn't the Kansas game, it would be some other loss or losses. He might even have lost to Maryland in back-to-back years.

How much revenue does basketball generate compared to football? Techs basketball success has led to an $800k increase in ticket sales revenue. That won’t pay $13mm in a buyout even before you add in the assistants.

So you are using Tech numbers to project UT revenue? Pretty sure we are not in the same tax bracket.

again, it's not about three million. It's the difference from being committed to 12 million vs. the commitment of likely spending $30 million in the same time frame.

Anyone that speaks of this in terms of three million isn't using their brains.

What is the cost to the health of the basketball program if they keep Shaka? Would it be similar to Baylor's decision to replace Briles with Grobe?

Interesting stat..

Average home attendance in Big 12 games this season: 9,704.33
Average home attendance in Big 12 games last season: 11,631.67

Interesting stat..

Average home attendance in Big 12 games this season: 9,704.33
Average home attendance in Big 12 games last season: 11,631.67

That has to be concerning to the people that matter. Also makes me think a new arena that holds 10k is not nearly large enough.

Here's how I think everyone should view the money.

Over the course of the next four years, the Longhorns are on the hook for $12 million ish.

In order to hire Chris Beard, you'd have to add his buyout, plus the next four years of his deal, which let's just put in the $12 million range.

Suddenly, instead of a $12 million investment over four years, you're talking about a $30 million cost over the same window... at a minimum.

Those are the real costs... costs I'm not sure Texas is prepared for.
Basketball revenue at Texas, even assuming a new coach immediately brings a top 10 program, will not come anywhere close to making that happen. If Texas cared about basketball, a group of alums would get together to buy out Shaka’s contract. I sincerely doubt anyone cares enough to make that happen.

LOL. This is a school Prez who take a last second night flight to Tulsa to close an OC for his HC. This is a school Prez who got so tired of Patterson's shit that he fired him 90 days after he took the prez job. This is the school prez who fired Charlie than hired Herman about 5 minutes. The same school prez who landed arguably the most sought after AD in the nation in CDC. Uhh, I wouldn't sweat what Fenves thinks of the importance of the athletic department because he very much gets it. If CDC thinks Shaka needs to go and has a way to do it then Fenves will give it the stamp of approval.

Reactions: JinSOTEX
That has to be concerning to the people that matter. Also makes me think a new arena that holds 10k is not nearly large enough.

CDC only said that because attendance has been particularly bad of late.

The date was October 3, 2015.

Moments after the Texas Longhorns had been humiliated to the tune of 50-7 by Gary Patterson's TCU Horned Frogs, I found myself on the phone with a high-ranking Texas administrator. The bowl game against Arkansas had happened. So did the disaster in South Bend. Then you had the missed PAT against Cal. Now this had happened to leave Charlie Strong 7-11 in his first 18 games as the Texas head coach.

This particular person I was on the phone with was beside himself. As someone who had watched from afar as the hiring of Strong had been made, he had previously been 100-percent all-in on Strong ... even when the cracks in the foundation had become obvious. With the Orangebloods message board resembling an out of control wildfire, hope had turned to despair.

"He's not going anywhere," the official said with the sound of defeat hanging onto every single word.

After a brief back and forth about where the Texas program was headed in its current state, a remark came out of his mouth that I've thought about every day of this current men's basketball season when Shaka Smart has looked like the wrong man for the job.

"We can't become the school that keeps having to buy its way out of its mistakes."

In this person's mind, buying out nearly 15 million of the remaining dollars on Strong's contract was completely off the table, if for no other reason than Strong's buyout itself would be just the beginning. After that huge sum of dead money was compiled, the school would need to payout remaining dollars on Strong's staff, perhaps a buyout to the school of the new coach and then a completely new contract with even more money attached to it.

"We are not made of money," he said rather sharply. "It's not 15 million. It's 20 million. Then it's 25 million. The athletic department cannot run itself as if financial responsibility doesn't matter."

A year later, when the school was in a position where it had to take action with the removal of Strong, I knew that swallowing 8 figures worth of dead money to make it happen wouldn't be taken lightly. I also knew that every single person who was involved in that situation would vow to never let that kind of financial disaster happen again.

Less than three years later, here we are again.

The Texas basketball program is floundering, the thirst for change is in the air and yet because of internal mistakes at the highest levels of the university between an acting athletic director and new school president, the Longhorns find themselves staring at at least $12 million wasted dollars. In order to possibly go out and fire the replacement that it might want (*cough* Chris Beard *cough*), the amount of money needed to make it happen will start to creep closely to 20 million, and that doesn't include the new amount of guaranteed money that arrives when that new contract is signed.

In conversations with a variety of people in places to have a pulse of the situation, buying out Smart's contract has been an absolute non-starter. Right or wrong, The University of Texas resides in a strange gray area, one that's obsessed with winning, but probably not obsessed enough to want to give the appearance that it is dangerously out of control to the academic watch-dog eyes that never taker its eyes off the Texas athletic department to watch something else.

Could not making the NCAA Tournament for the second time in three seasons change the mood of the rooms that Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte operates in? Sure. Could it change it enough for change to occur in the next few weeks when it goes against what is supposed to be a re-commitment to financial responsibility in the department, especially when Del Conte is already involved in the single biggest fund-raising project in the history of the department?

I've still not had one person associated with the school suggest that the answer is yes.

Perhaps the more realistic change would involve Shaka Smart wanting to take another job in the off-season should a desirable opportunity become available. Smart has given no indications that he wants to leave Austin, but he has to know that he's skating on thin ice entering next season. If the right job popped up and he wanted to take it, I can't imagine anyone at Texas would block his departure.

Beyond that, it's just hard to see a change occurring after this season.

Perhaps a win-at-all-costs type of action would represent exactly what you want the decision-makers at Texas to display in this situation, but from my perspective it's the last type of message and decision-making they personally want to represent.

No. 2 - Unintended positive consequences ...

With all due respect to the discussion centering around the idea that incoming transfer Parker Braun could redshirt this season, I'm going to assume that the one of the two best players in the program for the 2019 season is actually going to play for the Longhorns.

Silly me, I know.

Therefore, with the knowledge that Sam Cosmi and Zach Shackelford are almost certainly going to be on the field as well at left tackle and center, respectively, Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand has something at his disposal this spring that is worth its weight in gold ... urgency.

Whether we're talking Denzel Okafor or Derek Kerstetter or Junior Angilau or Tope Imade or Tyler Johnson or anyone else on that line getting reps in the spring, they will know the score that exists - tons of bodies for two spots.

In order for any of those guys to move into the starting line-up in the fall, they better make sure that they are somewhere in the top two of that group. Period.

This Texas offensive line has a chance to be really good this year, but it's only going to be as good as its weakest and second-weakest links. The sense of urgency that suddenly exists for most of the offensive linemen in the program could help ensure that those weak links aren't so weak after all.

No. 3 - Vince Young will be 36 years old in May ...

Look, it's not my job to tell Vince Young to grow up.

Frankly, if he doesn't want to work a gimmie-job that pays him nearly six figures per year, that's on him. Maybe he has so much money saved up from his 20s that he doesn't need the hassle of a job, even one that would see him make a salary that would be the envy of many. Maybe not, but maybe this is the way it is and he's just too busy, even for an alma mater that dearly wanted to take care of him.

However, there's no looking past the fact that The University of Texas just fired the greatest player in school history “for not demonstrating significant and sustained improvement in the performance of (his) job responsibilities and failing to maintain standards of conduct suitable and acceptable to the university.”

That's just not just embarrassing, it's sloppy.

On the heels of yet another alleged drunk-driving incident, I'm not sure what to think other than he's in complete denial if his tweets and re-tweets over the weekend mean anything at all.

Yup, don't believe those arrest reports. Don't believe the numerous job warnings in his personal file. Don't believe the no-shows on the job. Don't believe anything except that everyone continues to be against him all the time, apparently even the school that worships him to such a degree that it created his ridiculous job position in the first place.

No. 4 - Something for all of us to bird-dog ...

Kudos to Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte for being willing to tackle any subject on Twitter. Here's hoping he finds a way to make this happen.

No. 5 - Humbled ...

After an emphatic sweep over LSU last weekend, the Texas baseball team learned how the other half lives in the final three games of its series against No. 6 Stanford.

As if getting outscored 12-3 over the course of the next 22 innings of baseball and losing two games wasn't bad enough, then the fourth inning on Sunday happened. I'm not sure how long the damn thing officially lasted, but I feel like it must have been an hour, as Stanford dropped a snowman on the Longhorns.

Momma always said there would be days like this, but surely she didn't mean this, right?

What remained after the Longhorns dropped three out of four on the road in Cali this weekend is a team that learned it can't operate at 50-percent if it wants to realize the results from last week every single week. There's no reason for panic or road rage, but it's a reminder that in a long season, highs and lows will exist. This was a low.

With conference play beginning next week, Texas merely needs to dust itself off and move on. Bigger games await.

No. 6 - Almost two weeks to regroup ...

If I'm Karen Aston, I might give my team the next week off to completely recharge before going into the NCAA Tournament.

After losing to Iowa State on Sunday for the second time in a week, the Longhorns just look like a team that has hit the wall with its fourth loss in the last seven games. The Longhorns didn't always play well on Sunday, but they battled all the way until the bitter end, only to get slightly out-executed in the final six minutes of the game.

Go enjoy some SXSW, maybe go home for some love from the family and just forget about basketball for the next week. That should be the memo to the players from Aston because when the NCAA Tournament bracket is revealed next week, this team will have one four-team tournament remaining in an effort to salvage a season that has felt like a lost one of sorts.

However, back to back wins would put this team in the Sweet 16, which would suddenly change some of the value of this season. While it won't be easy (and will almost certainly have to take place away from home), it's not impossible ... just improbable.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …
BUY-SELL.gif

BUY or SELL: Texas signs a grad transfer RB between now and the summer?

(Sell) I'm leaning towards the unlikelihood that someone that both becomes available and choses Texas over the rest of the field ... oh ... and they'd also have to be better than what Texas already has.

BUY or SELL: Casey Thompson has to start 1 game and play in at least 2 games due to an injury to Sam?

(Sell) I think it might be safe to say he'll need to make a start at some point in 2019, but I'm not sure Thompson will be asked to win three games for the Longhorns.

BUY or SELL: Mookie Cooper realizes he made a mistake and at some point he recommits to the good guys?

(Sell) These situations rarely work out that way.

BUY or SELL: Chris Beard is the next hoops basketball coach?

(Buy) 2020.

BUY or SELL: We are sitting at 2 DL and 4 OL commits by the end of July. Dorbah, Broughton and Lindberg commit to Texas to reach those numbers?

(Buy) Sure, why not? I think Texas gets all three, so it's only a matter of when.

BUY or SELL: Sam’s tweets last week mean he will go pro after 2019, assuming he has a good junior season? He’s tired of being exploited.

(Sell) He might not believe in the feel-good propaganda that the NCAA pushes as it relates to this discussion, but I don't see the decision after this season impacted greatly by a rush to get away from a system he thinks needs changes.

BUY or SELL: Texas wins the Big 12 and is in the playoffs this year?

(Sell) I can see Texas winning the Big 12, but I'm not sure it means a trip to the playoffs. Texas might still need another year of evolving before that happens.

BUY or SELL: LJH is not going to get drafted, but will sign with Dallas and will replace Cole Beasley?

(Sell) He's going to get drafted in the fifth round.

BUY or SELL: At the end of the epic battle of Winterfell, Jon, Danny, Brienne, Arya, Tormund, Bran, Podrick and Jamie are all dead.

(Sell) Jon lives, Danny dies in child-birth, Brienne lives, Arya dies, Tormund dies, Bran lives, Podrick lives and Jamie dies.

No. 8 – Eternal Randomness of the Spotty Sports Mind …

... Spring is here!

... Ja Morant in the NCAA Tournament has a chance to be a lot of fun.

... It's good to be Antonio Brown, huh? It just goes to show that if you are elite of the elite, you can pretty much do whatever the hell you please and someone will still willingly give you $30 million. Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

... NFL Player Tweet of the Weekend

... A-Rod and J-Low are engaged. Good for them.

... Bryce Harper went to the Mick Foley School of Cutting a Promo...

... I'll take "Things That Would Never Happen in American Football", Alex...

... The final eight weeks worth of Premier League games are going to bananas. Just keep grinding, Reds.

... I didn't know Junior dos Santos still had that in him.

No. 9 - The List: Top 10 UT buzz-names for the spring ...

Here's a look at the names on the Texas roster that I'm predicting will generate the most positive buzz for the next month during spring drills (not including starters from last season):

10. Josh Moore
9. Denzel Okafor
8. Casey Thompson
7. Bru McCoy
6. DeMarvion Overshown
5. Taquan Graham
4. Brennan Eagles
3. Cade Brewer
2. Jalen Green
1. Joseph Ossai

No. 10 – And Finally ...

The Longhorns lost one of their own this weekend with word that former school president Bill Powers passed away at the age of 72.

In a touching note to all Longhorns, current president Greg Fenves wrote, "Bill quoted Margaret Mead, 'Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.” In many ways, that sentence defines Bill Powers. He was one of those thoughtful, committed citizens. He changed UT. He changed Texas. He changed the world.'"

Powerful words.

Rest in peace, Bill.
Steve Patterson did not do UT any favors in men's basketball. First he ran off Rick Barnes, and he really looks good this year at Tennessee. Our fans would be very happy if he were still here, and doing what he is doing at Tennessee. Barnes was at UT 17 years and went to the NCAA tournament 16 of those years (I think I'm right). Thank you Steve Patterson.

You are a "buy" that Chris Beard will be UT's coach in 2020. Do you really think Beard will leave Tech and come to UT? Tech fans are very confident that Beard will not leave Tech, even if UT offers more money.

Doesn’t seem like you have followed Fenves and how he had handled athletics much during his tenure. Doesn’t match your description from firing Charlie and Steve Patterson to smoothly hiring Tom Herman without issue to grabbing cdc in stealth mode as literally no one reported it before it dropped. Love or hate his politics but he’s been making all the right moves when it comes athletics

Steve Patterson did not do UT any favors in men's basketball. First he ran off Rick Barnes, and he really looks good this year at Tennessee. Our fans would be very happy if he were still here, and doing what he is doing at Tennessee. Barnes was at UT 17 years and went to the NCAA tournament 16 of those years (I think I'm right). Thank you Steve Patterson.

You are a "buy" that Chris Beard will be UT's coach in 2020. Do you really think Beard will leave Tech and come to UT? Tech fans are very confident that Beard will not leave Tech, even if UT offers more money.
It's Tech. It's Lubbock.

By nature, it's a spring board job.

Reactions: streettopeschel
For the record, your first statement in last week's thought was:

A strong case can be made that Shaka Smart is doing a better job in his fourth year than Karen Aston in year seven.

Yes, you followed it up with a bunch of chatter about opponents and home schedule, but your opening statement, like most, is the one that resonates.
The last week definitely changed that specific thought, but we're comparing to empty glasses against each other. From hour to hour, one can appear more full than the other.

My stars you really enjoy a mental erection against Karen!!! What did she do to you , pee in your German Sports car???

Last edited:
My stars you are really enjoy a mental erection against Karen!!! What did she do to you , pee in your German Sports car???
Karen seems like a perfectly lovely person.

Also, I no longer have a German sports care. My wife killed it.

Karen seems like a perfectly lovely person.

Also, I no longer have a German sports care. My wife killed it.

I was hoping for a good one so I changed the word predjudice to " really enjoy a mental erection" ... I know the feeling my wife killed my Cadillac !!!

I was hoping for a good one so I changed the word predjudice to " really enjoy a mental erection" ... I know the feeling my wife killed my Cadillac !!!

In reality "seems" "seems" to indicate that you really (may) do not know her and that you really have some pejorative feelings re: her better record (time wise at UT) when compared to the annointed one, AKA Shaka ...

4,000 seats not bought at $40 per seat x 12 homes games = $2 million. Plus lost food and drinks. Plus lost merchandise sales. Terminate now.
Ok. Fair enough. But let's give him credit next year if the team starts out undefeated and packs the Drum and sells a lot of beer too. We'll have experience at the guards and some ace recruits. Maybe Andrew will make it back too. Horn's up!!!

In reality "seems" "seems" to indicate that you really (may) do not know her and that you really have some pejorative feelings re: her better record (time wise at UT) when compared to the annointed one, AKA Shaka ...
In reality, you're just making things up in your head as you go.

Let's hope CDC has the respect that he will be left alone on these decisions. AD's like Mike Perrin, while nice guys, don't have the political heft to be the decision-maker. Historically, even powerful AD's like Deloss Dodds had been steamrolled in these hirings.

Battleship,
Unfortunately, while CDC will no doubt be allowed to have input, Fenves will be the one making the call on the head basketball coach, not CDC. The university President, not the AD, is the only UT executive officer with the official authority to make hiring/firing decisions on coaches. That's the weak spot, because the president is an academician who isn't versed in athletics and is much more sensitive to anti-sports sentiment from the faculty and political correctness from politicians, while the AD is much more a pragmatist.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT