ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Trying to explain the thing that you're going to hate...)

Battleship, the President, not the AD, is the only UT executive officer with the official authority to make the hiring/firing decisions on coaches. That's where the faculty and political pressure unspool effective decision-making. While CDC will no doubt be allowed to have input, Fenves will be the only one making the call, not CDC.

Can you point to something that says that? I know for a fact that minor sport coaches are fired by the AD without Presidential involvement.

I'm thrilled to have Parker Braun, but he will not be the second-best player on the team this fall.
He's the only first-team All-conference player on the team that is returning and he was the best lineman in the ACC last year.

My comments were not hyperbole.

Reactions: Rookie97
If I only had a head !!! Have a great day Mr. Never Wrong as I am on my way to UTSW...
Yes, if you think any feelings I have against Aston are Shaka related, you're making it up in your head.

Can you point to something that says that? I know for a fact that minor sport coaches are fired by the AD without Presidential involvement.

I don't know what the process is like for other sports or for assistant coaches.

As for the head football coach, I learned that it's the UT President's decision from an old friend who was on the Athletics Council. When I asked why we hired Charlie Strong, he told me no one really knew since Bill Powers had hired Strong on his own without the usual practice of consulting BMDs. When I asked how Powers could do that, he said the UT president, not the AD, has always been the official who makes hiring/firing decisions on the head football coach at Texas. Some time later I ran into the Chairman of the Board of Regents, who reiterated that UT presidents make the decisions on who's the head football coach at Texas.

If football is important enough at Texas to require a university president's decision, it's also too important for such a critical decision to be left in the hands of someone who's not versed in athletics matters, and who is subject to a range of outside pressures from factions that may be unconcerned about the success of the program.

Last edited:
I don't know what the process is like for other sports or for assistant coaches.

As for the head football coach, I learned that it's the UT President's decision from an old friend who was on the Athletics Council. When I asked why we hired Charlie Strong, he told me no one really knew since Bill Powers had hired Strong on his own without the usual practice of consulting BMDs. When I asked how Powers could do that, he said the UT president, not the AD, has always been the official who makes hiring/firing decisions on the head football coach at Texas. Some time later I ran into the Chairman of the Board of Regents, who reiterated that UT presidents make the decisions on who's the head football coach at Texas.

If football is important enough at Texas to require a university president's decision, it's also too important for such a critical decision to be left in the hands of someone who's not versed in athletics matters, and who is subject to a range of outside pressures from factions that may be unconcerned about the success of the program.

You can't really just ignore the fact that our AD when Charlie was hired was barely on the job and the entire situation was a mess. I don't know what is the official policy, but I think common sense tells me Fenves hired CDC to run the athletic department. So MAYBE, Fenves has to sign off off something officially, but if CDC is bringing it to him than I don't imagine Fenves is going to put up a roadblock.

I think Fenves has a good handle on the importance of football to the University he loves so dearly. He and CDC will work well together. I wouldn't exchange either of those guys.

I think Fenves has a good handle on the importance of football to the University he loves so dearly. He and CDC will work well together. I wouldn't exchange either of those guys.

This.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT