ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (UT's Batman finally has his Robin...)

(Buy) While there are a million little issues that Texas has racked up in the problem folder, player development has actually been a huge issue going back to before 2009.

I've been posting on the board for many years that inadequate player development has been a bigger problem than poor recruiting.

Reactions: OldBlood
Scarbororough's 900# regarding the recruitment of Shea Morenz caused my divorce! JK

Reactions: Ketchum
@Ketchum my kids girls 15,14 and son 11 participated in egg hunt. It’s with money though instead of candy at this age. My 19 year old son did
Not participate. First time he didn’t.

Had one today for my 18, 16, and 13 year old boys. They loved it. Put change in them too.

keep
Up the tradition for the kiddos. It was fun today.

(Buy) From his standpoint, absolutely. We don't have to agree with him, but I felt like he knew exactly the answer he wanted to give for that question and if nothing else, he convinced the hell out of himself.

This looks like OB's first example of a "When is a "buy" actually a "sell" response", when explained.

"We don't have to agree with him...but he convinced himself."

I'm not persuaded CTH did convince himself. Or a majority of those who have considered the issue from multiple angles.

As this show heads to the finish line... what happens to Kim is basically the only thing that matters.

I love Nacho, but Kim is the heartbeat of the entire show.
Which new coach do you feel will have the biggest impact this year?
If you had to bet how many players in each group will Texas end up with?0-1-2-3..
OL: Brockermeyers, Byrd, Roberts, or Foster
RB: Johnson, Wheaton, or Edwards
WR: Davis, Earle, or a 4*OOS WR
DE: Thomas, Jackson, Turner?
DT: Burris, Murphy, Gilliam, Page? We would be a dream to land and that would hurt LSU for sure but I don't see it happening.
LB: Blackshire, C.Smith, Willis, or Flowe
DB: Coffey, Washington, Ibraheem, or Wilcoxson from FL, OOS top player

Best odds to de-commit and a player we might steal from a team close to the wire?
I believe there will be.
I had a long thing typed up that was a good question my son hit the back arrow. ERRRR so I will try again.
1. Which RB does Texas land on signing day? Wheaton, Johnson, or let down other?
2, On the OL how many of the following players does Texas land? Brockermeyerx2, Rucci, Byrd, Walden, Foster, or OG Roberts?
4 kids plus the one they have would be the best OL class in a long time.
3. DL: Turner, Langston, Jackson, Ford, or Brooks at DE do we land 1-2-3 of them? DT: Do we land Burris, Page, or Gilliam? Do we land any of them?

4. DB, and LB. I will list Corner and Safety together. How many do we land from the following players?

Isaiah Johnson,
Burke from AZ
Harman, or Cooper?
S. Wilcoxson, Coffey,

LB: Smith , Cooks, Willis, and Blackshire

Thanks so much for all the hard work you put in.

Simply put, Mike Yurcich and Brennan Eagles are going to be game changers for the program moving forward. Good column.

Hook Em

Top 6 outside of the obvious top 2 Vince Gilligan characters is pretty easy.
1. Walter White
2. Jesse Pinkman
3. Saul Goodman (his role as both jimmy & Saul earn him top 3, plus the show is about him).
4. Mike
5. Gus Fring
6. Hank
7. Kim
8. Charles McGill
9. Todd
10. Tuco

This is a much better list

Mike at 9 has made me lose all faith in you. Just the “no half measures” speech puts him at 5.

I've been posting on the board for many years that inadequate player development has been a bigger problem than poor recruiting.

This!
It goes back to before Mack left. I remember wishing Mack would just involve himself with being the CEO and recruiting and hire some people to coach 'em up. Jeez

Reactions: Dualthreat
Great and fun read, Ketch. Thank you.

I’m ok with where you have Kim on the BB/BCS top 10 but Mike at 9 is silly. The absolute lowest he should be is 7 behind Saul/Jimmy. Hell, I sometimes fast forward to his scenes only during a rewatch. Hector and Lalo are definitely in the top 10, but just can’t be ahead of Mike.

Personally, I'm not nearly as freaked as the Doomsday folks on this particular matter. Not only do I not think it'll cause wide-spread chaos, but I think it stands to favor a program like Texas and a head coach like Tom Herman because with proper planning, a lot of big-time talent could look to come back home if there's no punishment in doing so.

This.

... Why do I have doubts that Drew Brees will succeed as a voice of Monday Night Football? I can't quite put my finger on it, but he doesn't feel like Tony Romo 2.0.

I guess you have to define "succeed." I think he's got a real chance to make a name for himself. FWIW, he clearly brings a significantly stronger player resume to the table than Romo did. He's also built up a pretty damn deep reservoir of goodwill his last 15 years in New Orleans as very charitable person. Plus, I think you mean voice of "Sunday Night Football," not MNF. Also, NBC seems to have quite a plan to groom Brees before he takes over for Collinsworth, including working as color guy for Domer games and SNF studio analyst.

Last edited:
Would be interested to know how Jake Smith's freshman season stacked up historically as well. Seemed like he was on a crazy TD/catch ratio for a while before fumbling a bit.

@Ketchum football season will start on time in less than 5 months, not 6 months.

One amazing thing about Eagles stats that even make it more amazing is that he put up those numbers with 2 SR WRs that will be drafted soon. Of course CJ was out a significant portion, but it still makes it that much more amazing that he was able to put up the numbers he did on a team with CJ and DD.
And he was in a bit of a dog house at times as well.

Tuco has to be in the top 10 of BB/BCS
Man, I've seen the guy playing Tuca play that role so many times that it doesn't have the same impact on me. He'd be top 10, though.

3. Is there a real story under here about Sam's injured ribs??? Our upper echelon offense went into a serious mid-season slump that cost us at least one W and possibly two (surely Iowa St. and either TCU or Baylor) which is now being closely aligned with Sam's ribs injury timeline. This seems to be how this kind of story plays out at college level where protection of health issues of student athletes is prescribed.
What do you mean? real story? I'm not sure how to answer your question.

Agree that Mike is way too low on the list. I think he's definitely above Schrader--I mean this guy is a stalwart on both shows.

THat has to count for something.
I just think Hank is perfect. Mike doesn't do it for me like he does it for some others.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great character, but I have some baby issues as well... mostly around how age has impacted how believable his current role is.

Reactions: bigeye6912
Not far from mine:

Almond milk (unsweetened)
Apple cider vinegar
Flax
Chia
MCT oil
Greek yogurt
Unflavored whey protein powder
Cinnamon
Cacao
Red reishi mushroom powder
Kale
Spinach
Broccoli
Mixed berries (half cup)

The dominant tastes are the Greek yogurt and kale. The cinnamon and cacao are added for their health benefits, not so much their flavor. No water or ice in mine.
You make that on your own?

much better lists then Ketchs.. im actually rewatching all the breaking bads for a 3rd time..

my list.
1.. jesse pinkman
2. walter white
3. Gus Freign
4. saul goodman
5. hank
6. lalo salamanca
7. mike ernentraut
8. Skyler white
9. Nacho
10. cartel sicarios/Tuco, Aerian blonde guy , Lydia

11.. that fine azz principal at the high school
just kidding, i just wanted to mention her
Our lists are virtually the same, except you left Kim completely off, which is just insanely wrong.

She's the Pinkman of BCS.

Maybe it’s because I know where Jimmys arc is going to end up. But watching Kim’s unknown story unfold has really gotten better and better each season, and she’s been fantastic this season. Seeing the devastation in her face when Jimmy backstabbed her over the guys house was brilliant.
Here's what Nick Offerman, the man who gave us Ron Swanson, said about Wexler's character last week.

92827957_260609671640197_8467993920641433600_n.jpg

I don't know if CTH has found his Robin or not. If that was his goal, he should have pushed for Major, a known commodity.

Salt Lick isn't the greatest food, but they have good bbq with the best atmosphere anywhere. Sometimes it's the whole experience. The take waiting in line to a whole other level with live music, fresh made lemonade and BYOB.
The BBQ just isn't that good.

ADVERTISEMENT