ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Walking into the great recruiting unknown...)

Why do you think a Jimbo signs a better class in 2019, than CTH?

You evaded the Cook will or will not sign question with UT.

Cook is most likely headed to LSU based on recent info from LSU and Lamar. Ketch said he was hearing LSU as well earlier last week.

Hopefully the good guys pull this one out on the 20th.

Wait, I think the consensus thinking is Texas with some noise coming from LSU. Lamar has not “said” anything. Mods were leaning Texas last week so not sure where this is coming from.

Aggy won’t put recruit us. Just watch.

Reactions: Keystone55
@Ketchum , I know your job is to create as much angst as possible, but the notion that you just analyzed the "consensus" of OL rankings is a joke. 247 has Blanton, Ghirmai, and Hines all ranked within 8 spots of each other, and Wilson is ranked slightly behind all three. They also have Ghirmai and Moore both ranked higher than Clement. That's not to say who will be better, but you should be better than trying to pass off that "consensus" nonsense.

I have decided to block Items 1 - 5 out of my mind and move forward with more optimism in how the future goes for Texas.

Other than Luke Matthews, I'll pass on the other 3 dudes. Reese Moore is going to be a player. I'm not high on Ghirmai, but I think he ends up inside and is light years better than Clement.

I think you guys are under estimating how much Fisher and co. are about to "play the game" in recruiting

Karen Aston better win it all this year. Next year she has no chance after losing her 2 best starters.

Rivals have our linemen ranked way too low, they are 4* on every other site but rivals. I’ll take our 3 vs a&m 3, each has major upside if they get to sit and develop especially Moore. Add on 2 jucos for depth purposes get our guys on team healthy plus young guys develop we’ll be alright

I completely agree and understand that you need War Daddys to win a National championship. Having said that, Okie Lite, TCU, etc. have been winning and competing for Big 12 championships with mostly 2-3 star players with a few 4 stars sprinkled in. UT, at worst, should be winning or playing for conference championships

Last edited:
The fact that OU and TCU are the top two teams in the Big 12 make me question that the Big 12 is 7 on 7 conference. Success in a power 5 conference requires big uglies. However, Texas being a 7 on 7 team is pretty much spot on. 6-6. I just hope we see some progress between now and February to correct our most obvious weakness.

A much better B/S hoops question was mine about making the tourney. Perhaps you didn't like your answer.

Rather have Angilau and Reese Moore than any of your supposed top 4 OL in Texas. Ghirmai is the 3rd ranked OL on 247, which has been much more accurate than Rivals.
whatever helps you sleep at night.

@Ketchum You’ve written much about recruiting ratings and their correlation to NFL potential. I’ve never researched it, but it seems to me that recruiting ratings being a good indicator for NFL potential is much lower for lineman than skill positions. Would you say that’s an accurate assessment?
No, the data from the last 20 years doesn't reflect that. There is a slight decline from the national numbers, but nothing drastic. I'll try to find the link for you to the research I did on it.

@Ketchum Why do you think the Aggies land a better class next year than Texas? Is this based off what your hearing or do you think he lands some top FL talent? They could have a worse year than Texas record wise.
I just think I've seen shitty A&M coaches get amazing first-year bumps every time time they break a guy in. They've got someone who will bring a ton of first-year heat and Texas is coming off of a 6-6 regular season.

Both should have top 10 classes.

Why do you think a Jimbo signs a better class in 2019, than CTH?

You evaded the Cook will or will not sign question with UT.
Texas seems to think Texas. LSU seems to think LSU. Houston Lamar seems to think LSU.

Wind River and Dunkirk are Oscar worthy - the others are not IMo - have not seen Ladybird yet, but think it is based on what I have heard. Logan was really good, but it’s a X Man movie so I think it won’t win. It’s not better than Dunkirk anyway (to me).

Frances McDormand will win but 3 BBs has some flaws. She was great in it tho.

Jeremy Renner might win. He was very good.
3BBS definitely had some flaws.

Also, Never, EVER has sympathy for the steelers when it comes to officiating. No team in the history of the NFL has had as many questionable calls go in their favor as the steelers.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Despise the Steelers.

Other than Luke Matthews, I'll pass on the other 3 dudes. Reese Moore is going to be a player. I'm not high on Ghirmai, but I think he ends up inside and is light years better than Clement.
I don't think anyone is must-have. Most of the top guys are bunched together and have the same long-term, sketchy projections.

Maybe 1 or 2 from the group of about 7-8 will emerge.

Rivals have our linemen ranked way too low, they are 4* on every other site but rivals. I’ll take our 3 vs a&m 3, each has major upside if they get to sit and develop especially Moore. Add on 2 jucos for depth purposes get our guys on team healthy plus young guys develop we’ll be alright
as I stated in the column, whether they rank as four stars or high three stars, it doesn't change their long-term outlook very much, at least not based on a 20-year history of the rankings.

The fact that OU and TCU are the top two teams in the Big 12 make me question that the Big 12 is 7 on 7 conference. Success in a power 5 conference requires big uglies. However, Texas being a 7 on 7 team is pretty much spot on. 6-6. I just hope we see some progress between now and February to correct our most obvious weakness.
You question whether the Big 12 is a 7-ON-7 conference?

Can't wait to see the melt down when a kid does not sign early, gets his scholarship pulled because he was plan B and plan A signed.

Also, Never, EVER has sympathy for the steelers when it comes to officiating. No team in the history of the NFL has had as many questionable calls go in their favor as the steelers.
help me with remembering some of these calls.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT