ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (What happens next will define Sark's 3-year tenure)

B/S: We are in year 3 with Sark and he has previous experience as a HC. Nevertheless, Sark has the self awareness to realize his shortcomings as a HC and therefore will get them corrected.
Sell, he thinks teams surprising him is a surprise and hasn’t had answers and keeps this narrative going when pie hits his face. Doesn’t give me tons of confidence.

OP says Sark won’t go with Arch over MM because of portal concerns, yet OP says he would. Me too. He’s better.
How does anyone think or know that Manning is the better QB? He hasn’t played a single solitary down and, while it may have been a function of play calling, looked fairly abysmal in the Orange-White scrimmage. Honestly, hopefully this doesn’t
Sound obnoxious. I really want to know.

Sell, he thinks teams surprising him is a surprise and hasn’t had answers and keeps this narrative going when pie hits his face. Doesn’t give me tons of confidence.
This is Sarks greatest weakness 3 years into his program here at Texas.

Its confounding that he can successfully dissect film and design a script of plays to exploit what he sees on film but seems lost once defensive adjustments are made. The film room skills are not translating to real time playing field scenarios. Perhaps he needs more help with that from the booth (how can that not already be happening) or simply needs to be that guy and relinquish play calling duties so he can focus on the bigger schematic picture when the bullets are flying.

Reactions: McGuapo
Absolutely
Maybe we request meetings with the officials during the game so we can make them aware that the other team isn’t playing fair and are doing things we aren’t comfortable with. I mean, they can’t just do whatever they want, right? Seems unfair.

This is Sarks greatest weakness 3 years into his program here at Texas.

Its confounding that he can successfully dissect film and design a script of plays to exploit what he sees on film but seems lost once defensive adjustments are made. The film room skills are not translating to real time playing field scenarios. Perhaps he needs more help with that from the booth (how can that not already be happening) or simply needs to be that guy and relinquish play calling duties so he can focus on the bigger schematic picture when the bullets are flying.
Fair. But he was hired for his offensive prowess and QB development. It would be like hiring Gordon Ramsey to just do the books and purchasing for your restaurant.

Two things that readily com to my mind, Ewers is simply an average, maybe a hair above average at best, quarterback. More importantly is that Sarkisian is a very average coach when you take a full season in consideration. I steadfastly stick to my prediction of a 9-3 season. Sarkisian chokes during games and cannot fully function when he sees something he wasn’t anticipating. On the other hand, maybe losing Quinn for a bit will wake up the underperforming defense.By the way, I’m beginning to believe Sark is “all gas, no brakes”, but rather, he is ”all talk, no performance”. Being a huge Longhorn fan it is hard to admit, but Houston literally got screwed out of that game. They easily made that first down on the run that the refs marked short.

Last edited:
Fair. But he was hired for his offensive prowess and QB development. It would be like hiring Gordon Ramsey to just do the books and purchasing for your restaurant.
But he's the HEAD COACH which is much like a CEO in the business world. It's his responsibility to maximize his strengths and offset his weaknesses or just general delegations to others who can excel in those other areas.

Chef Gordon can/should create the menus but that doesn't mean he also has to be the sous chef.

If Texas wins out and so does Oklahoma State who advances ?

Many more agree with you than will speak up for fear of being called names and accused of not knowing anything about the sport…..I’ll move on now!
I don't know how anyone outside of someone who sees practices daily would know who os better than the other. Malik looked better in the spring game. Thats all I have to go off of. Otherwise it's pure speculation based off of what they did in high school

Reactions: Hhg53
Thanks for the kind words.

I think the pperson in the program that used to guide coaches through these moments was Bill Little.
Bill Little was problematic in his own way--I can see why he was liked--good man, and historian, and loved Texas, but he was an enabler of mediocrity (particularly of Brown), touted the company line, didn't like constructive criticism, and was impediment to progress.
He, like Dodds, stayed waaaay too long.

Reactions: sua sponte
If we’re keeping it real questionable coaching decisions is now a weekly thing for Sark. Piss poor time management the two previous games then just a horrible call on the fake FG
Inescapable.

Reactions: Hhg53
I know, like I said, the problem is I don't disagree with your takes, I wish I could but nobody knows who this team really is. Everything that was correct 3 weeks ago is wrong now. That's not good.
amen

So on your personal list, you put Lefty lower than the Phils' greats of the 21st century? Interesting, I guess you were a little too young to see him at his peak. I just remember the early 80's Ryan vs. Carlton debates, they were Emmitt vs. Barry level.
Yes, for me.

Sark needs to quit broadcasting that any new wrinkle shown by opposition teams causes him problems. He needs to never say that again.
Even better: QUIT EXPECTING TEAMS TO NOT PUT IN WRINKLES!!!

My god, imagine an elite coach in any level of any sport say “well, they did something different than we expected” to explain poor results. But yes, that he feels this is awful. That he says it repeatedly makes me want to add some fist-sized wall holes to my indoor decor.

How does anyone think or know that Manning is the better QB? He hasn’t played a single solitary down and, while it may have been a function of play calling, looked fairly abysmal in the Orange-White scrimmage. Honestly, hopefully this doesn’t
Sound obnoxious. I really want to know.
I don't think either are ready or good, but one is the future.

Even better: QUIT EXPECTING TEAMS TO NOT PUT IN WRINKLES!!!

My god, imagine an elite coach in any level of any sport say “well, they did something different than we expected” to explain poor results. But yes, that he feels this is awful. That he says it repeatedly makes me want to add some fist-sized wall holes to my indoor decor.
I think this is where having a Bill Little like advisor would help him.

Reactions: htownhorn13
Two things that readily com to my mind, Ewers is simply an average, maybe a hair above average at best, quarterback. More importantly is that Sarkisian is a very average coach when you take a full season in consideration. I steadfastly stick to my prediction of a 9-3 season. Sarkisian chokes during games and cannot fully funcTimon when he sees something he wasn’t anticipating. On the other hand, maybe losing Quinn for a bit will wake up the underperforming defense.By the way, I’m beginning to believe Sark is “all gas, no brakes”, but rather, he is ”all talk, no performance”. Being a huge Longhorn fan it is hard to admit, but Houston literally got screwed out of that game. They easily made that first down on the run that the refs marked short.
I agree with a lot of your sentiments, but I do think Ewers is better than average. He's just not great. It's a sport where your quarterback needs to be great.

Reactions: samthehorn
If Texas wins out and so does Oklahoma State who advances ?
It would be win percentage against common opponents.

Those common opponents are...

Iowa State
Kansas State
Kansas
Oklahoma
Houston
BYU

Among those six teams, Texas is currently 2-1, while OSU is 2-1

Bill Little was problematic in his own way--I can see why he was liked--good man, and historian, and loved Texas, but he was an enabler of mediocrity (particularly of Brown), touted the company line, didn't like constructive criticism, and was impediment to progress.
He, like Dodds, stayed waaaay too long.
I'm just saying he often gave good advice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT