Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (What happens next will define Sark's 3-year tenure)

Ketch - This may be the best 10 Thoughts... I've ever read on this site (and there have been some doozies). Or maybe it just makes the most sense to me, personally.

Starting with the least important: I have no idea how anyone could argue with Gangs of New York being top-5 or Aviator top-10. Both are in that tier of movies that, if on cable, I'm watching unless there's a serious sports conflict.
But more importantly, the "Nitpicking Sark" section was necessary, harsh but fair, and made me feel like I'm not going crazy. The quoted parts from Sark's postgame presser make me think he needs a better PR team to coach him up onn what NOT to say, more than anything else. It's beyond mere concern to hear a coach acknowledge, publicly, that he struggles with teams who don't entirely conform to what their tape shows their tendencies are.
Thanks for the kind words.

I think the pperson in the program that used to guide coaches through these moments was Bill Little.

@Ketchum
I've been off the board for several days. Has there ben been any comment regarding Johntay Cook? Anything about which we should be concerned? Sark regretted not playing him against OU, so what happens vs Houston?
First of all, welcome. Glad you're with us.

I think Sark is just having a hard time using anyone at receiver other than his top 3. He just doesn't rotate there are all.

I will also say this - Houston absolutely played their best, most intense game of this year. I was surprised at even how much their fans seemed to be in it even when they went down 21-0. I'm not making excuses, as I know we have the talent and coaching to have beaten them by 35 (which I though was going to happen, particularly after Q1), but Houston was hitting hard and they do have enough talented skill players to make a splash....but as someone else said, we've got to have our guys coached up EVERY SINGLE WEEK to know that that's part of playing for the University of Texas - we're ALWAYS going to get our opponents' best....and particularly this last year in the Big 12.

The reality is that Malik is PLENTY good to run this offense to score 35+ per game the rest of the way....and our D is good enough to hold teams to well below that. The world is not crashing down. While it's disappointing we came out of a bye week + loss to OU and didn't have more than 1 quarter of true motivation/execution, the facts are that we won on the road and we're still good enough to run the table from here through the Big 12 title game. Hopefully BYU is a statement game for us, although the KSU game is beginning to look like the biggest game on our schedule, by a longshot.

I don't ever know what to think anymore. The tone changes every week. It wasn't but a few weeks ago that you went on and on about how certain players had taken huge leaps and they were getting high play out of low ranked talent. Now the theme is we're not improving. And the problem is, I don't disagree with either of your takes. I just want one narrative that actually sticks, but I'm afraid that it won't be the narrative I want.

This Jekyll and Hyde thing gets old.
Well, the thing is... they play these things called games.

And things can change... wait for it... from week to week.

In the last few weeks, this team has taken steps back in a few areas. That is what is being discussed. Welcome to October.

"Houston did a nice job and they played an absolutely different defense than they had shown them all year long."

I said it was a BS excuse after he broke it out post Wyoming.

a. He's out next week like he was out the next week last year vs. UTSA.

b. You should expect him to be out several weeks.

c. It's disappointing to see the secondary struggle.

d. Indeed.

e. Dounle indeed.
Is it time for Texas (Sark) and perhaps us fans to accept that we need better secondary coaching? Gideon has never, even as a player, inspired confidence for me.

Reactions: TXNLIVNNTX
... Mack Brown losing at home to a 1-5 Virginia squad when he has a first-round draft pick at quarterback is soooooo .... I don't even know. All you can do is shake your head.

Usually just a matter of time for Mack. Although honestly, relatively that is probably the WORST loss he’s ever had with such a highly touted team.

There's quite a bit of good content in this 8-page thread, but I haven't seen anyone zero in what I feel like the is the root of our offensive decline: our pass blocking. It's why Ewers got hurt. When the confidence in pass protection is low it changes the playcalling options dramatically and while our OL played lights out against Bama, I feel like it was much more brutal against OU (I give them a bit of a pass with Majors going down early)...but with him returning this week, I just don't understand how our OL isn't dominating. We have a lot of experience now that we're halfway through this season and the same crew played together last year...and it's loaded with 4 and 5 star recruits. If our OL dominates and Sanders/Helm do their part (and Brooks and Baxter pick up blitzers), we should have our way with any defense, regardless of 3-3-5 or any other formation.

Our offense is so loaded with weapons that it's good enough, particularly if our OL is leading the charge, to truly be our best defense too. We should have a balanced attack through 2 1/2 quarters and then pound Brooks/Baxter the last 1 1/2 quarters...and score upper 40's on the rest of our schedule...and our D is good enough to keep opponents under 32 (should be good enough to keep them under 22).
Ewers got hurt when the pass-catching tight end bitched his assignment. The offensive line has been one of the strengths of the team, but it's certainly not close to perfect.

I will also say this - Houston absolutely played their best, most intense game of this year. I was surprised at even how much their fans seemed to be in it even when they went down 21-0. I'm not making excuses, as I know we have the talent and coaching to have beaten them by 35 (which I though was going to happen, particularly after Q1), but Houston was hitting hard and they do have enough talented skill players to make a splash....but as someone else said, we've got to have our guys coached up EVERY SINGLE WEEK to know that that's part of playing for the University of Texas - we're ALWAYS going to get our opponents' best....and particularly this last year in the Big 12.

The reality is that Malik is PLENTY good to run this offense to score 35+ per game the rest of the way....and our D is good enough to hold teams to well below that. The world is not crashing down. While it's disappointing we came out of a bye week + loss to OU and didn't have more than 1 quarter of true motivation/execution, the facts are that we won on the road and we're still good enough to run the table from here through the Big 12 title game. Hopefully BYU is a statement game for us, although the KSU game is beginning to look like the biggest game on our schedule, by a longshot.
The offense has barely averaged 35 points per game with a returning starter on offense. I would not count on that with Maalik.

Is it time for Texas (Sark) and perhaps us fans to accept that we need better secondary coaching? Gideon has never, even as a player, inspired confidence for me.
I don't think anyone thinks he's one of the best in his profession.

b. You literally get paid millions of dollars to make smart decisions in tens of seconds on a tens of seconds by tens of seconds basis. That's literally the job. Please don't indicate to us that this is an issue ... even a little one.

If we’re keeping it real questionable coaching decisions is now a weekly thing for Sark. Piss poor time management the two previous games then just a horrible call on the fake FG

Well, the thing is... they play these things called games.

And things can change... wait for it... from week to week.

In the last few weeks, this team has taken steps back in a few areas. That is what is being discussed. Welcome to October.
I know, like I said, the problem is I don't disagree with your takes, I wish I could but nobody knows who this team really is. Everything that was correct 3 weeks ago is wrong now. That's not good.

Reactions: Rockhornfan
Ewers got hurt when the pass-catching tight end bitched his assignment. The offensive line has been one of the strengths of the team, but it's certainly not close to perfect.
Agreed OL has been better than last year, but it's still not as good as it can be....and definitely agree on TE blocking. Sanders really need to fix that. It's self serving, but I think his draft status goes up considerably with more blocking testimonies.

I said it was a BS excuse after he broke it out post Wyoming.

Third time this season.
You think anyone will call him on it during the presser? I mean, even if it's true, don't admit it to the world for the third time this season. If I'm a coach on Sark's staff, I'm going up to him and saying "Hey man, you make us look like complete idiots every time you say this. Can you keep it to yourself or just say anything else?"

A failure to make a change in the off season would be akin to Herman keeping Tim Beck around. We all know how that ended.

Reactions: Mars512
So on your personal list, you put Lefty lower than the Phils' greats of the 21st century? Interesting, I guess you were a little too young to see him at his peak. I just remember the early 80's Ryan vs. Carlton debates, they were Emmitt vs. Barry level.

Sark needs to quit broadcasting that any new wrinkle shown by opposition teams causes him problems. He needs to never say that again.

It's really shitty for these opposing coaches to not do what he wants them to do.
Yep. Those opposing coaches r not cool. LOL. I'm crossing my fingers that Nola throws a good game, our bats do their clutch thing, and our relievers can close that fiesty team out tonight. Go Phillies!!!

B/S: We are in year 3 with Sark and he has previous experience as a HC. Nevertheless, Sark has the self awareness to realize his shortcomings as a HC and therefore will get them corrected.
Sell, he thinks teams surprising him is a surprise and hasn’t had answers and keeps this narrative going when pie hits his face. Doesn’t give me tons of confidence.

OP says Sark won’t go with Arch over MM because of portal concerns, yet OP says he would. Me too. He’s better.
How does anyone think or know that Manning is the better QB? He hasn’t played a single solitary down and, while it may have been a function of play calling, looked fairly abysmal in the Orange-White scrimmage. Honestly, hopefully this doesn’t
Sound obnoxious. I really want to know.

Sell, he thinks teams surprising him is a surprise and hasn’t had answers and keeps this narrative going when pie hits his face. Doesn’t give me tons of confidence.
This is Sarks greatest weakness 3 years into his program here at Texas.

Its confounding that he can successfully dissect film and design a script of plays to exploit what he sees on film but seems lost once defensive adjustments are made. The film room skills are not translating to real time playing field scenarios. Perhaps he needs more help with that from the booth (how can that not already be happening) or simply needs to be that guy and relinquish play calling duties so he can focus on the bigger schematic picture when the bullets are flying.

Reactions: McGuapo
Absolutely
Maybe we request meetings with the officials during the game so we can make them aware that the other team isn’t playing fair and are doing things we aren’t comfortable with. I mean, they can’t just do whatever they want, right? Seems unfair.

This is Sarks greatest weakness 3 years into his program here at Texas.

Its confounding that he can successfully dissect film and design a script of plays to exploit what he sees on film but seems lost once defensive adjustments are made. The film room skills are not translating to real time playing field scenarios. Perhaps he needs more help with that from the booth (how can that not already be happening) or simply needs to be that guy and relinquish play calling duties so he can focus on the bigger schematic picture when the bullets are flying.
Fair. But he was hired for his offensive prowess and QB development. It would be like hiring Gordon Ramsey to just do the books and purchasing for your restaurant.