ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

Ah should have gone with Chelsea! Both coaches are among the best but Jose has the hardware and is definitely more entertaining!

And I do actually like and respect Brendan.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by Ketchum

Originally posted by Lngnstrt:
Would recruiting be better, worse, or the same if Suddes were still around?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't think Suddes could have changed the entire picture, but he would have helped make for a smoother transition. If Charlie wanted to make a change there, he should have kept Suddes for a few more months, allowed Suddes to look for a new job and then bring his new guy to learn all the important details from Suddess before making the transition complete.

That makes sense.

Another question. In looking at your depth chart, it appears we have a lot of Jr's and seniors with decent to pretty nice talent. At the very least they've played a lot. Can an argument be made that we will be better this year than last, then take a step back, followed by being on the rise again?

Doyle can't break an egg blocking...if he starts, monitor ash's health and add 18 months to our delivery. No one is intimidated by our ol....it flat out is average.

Originally posted by Pap-a-lap:
Hey, maybe the kid is going to sign with Maryland and follow his dad to all ends of the earth if need-be, but Texas seems like a really good situation for him and the question for the Longhorns if he commits is whether it impacts Gentry. My guess is they are telling Gentry they view Locksley as an athlete-first and that he shouldn't have anything to worry about, that he's just a quarterback insurance policy, while they tell Locksley that he's a quarterback-first and will get every shot to prove it. Right now, I'll go ahead and project the Longhorns to land both … for now.

Ketch,

You make a solid case for us getting both Gentry and Locksley, but don't see Strong & Co. blowing any smoke at Gentry regarding competition for the position. That doesn't seem to be Charlie's MO, and these kids are close enough to compare notes & expose that kind of double-talk, which neither would appreciate. Gentry knows (or should) that he'll have to earn it every day, & seems confident enough to buy in on that basis.

Originally posted by Ketchum:
Arsenal

... Fans are known as Gooners. Which would seem to have great t-shirt potential. Colin Firth's favorite team. Located in London. Like the Green Bay Packers, the team is owned by its fan-base, which can buy shares of the team.

Congrats on "The Decision", man; but if you're going to be a fan of British soccer, you've got to learn the language.
a. He's a college football coach, THey are all full of crap to some degree.
wink.r191677.gif

b. What mistake did I make with Gooners?

Hey, maybe the kid is going to sign with Maryland and follow his dad to all ends of the earth if need-be, but Texas seems like a really good situation for him and the question for the Longhorns if he commits is whether it impacts Gentry. My guess is they are telling Gentry they view Locksley as an athlete-first and that he shouldn't have anything to worry about, that he's just a quarterback insurance policy, while they tell Locksley that he's a quarterback-first and will get every shot to prove it. Right now, I'll go ahead and project the Longhorns to land both … for now.

Ketch,

You make a solid case for us getting both Gentry and Locksley, but don't see Strong & Co. blowing any smoke at Gentry regarding competition for the position. That doesn't seem to be Charlie's MO, and these kids are close enough to compare notes & expose that kind of double-talk, which neither would appreciate. Gentry knows (or should) that he'll have to earn it every day, & seems confident enough to buy in on that basis.

Arsenal

... Fans are known as Gooners. Which would seem to have great t-shirt potential. Colin Firth's favorite team. Located in London. Like the Green Bay Packers, the team is owned by its fan-base, which can buy shares of the team.

Congrats on "The Decision", man; but if you're going to be a fan of British soccer, you've got to learn the language.
a. He's a college football coach, THey are all full of crap to some degree.
wink.r191677.gif

b. What mistake did I make with Gooners?
I saw it as a phonetic spelling of "Gunners", like they pronounce 'book' as 'boook". Turns out the fans really do call themselves "Gooners" - 'm I bad.

Originally posted by MidTexHorn:
Good choice with Liverpool. They've been an entertaining and frustrating follow over the past few years, but they are the epitome of European football for me as far as their fans and history go and they're big enough and have enough money that they should always contend for top 4 finishes and Champions League and the occasional Premiership title (need to get one of those soon). Anyway, I think you'll enjoy following them and all of the new talent they're bringing in to the best home environment in soccer - Anfield. YNWA!

This post was edited on 7/14 1:58 PM by MidTexHorn
where do you watch games?

Originally posted by McGuapo:
I understand your interest was up and the exposure was right to begin the vetting process during the WC, but maybe should have watched a little EPL season before committing. Is Liverpool coached by Mack Brown or something? I admire your courage to step up there though. Let's see if it sticks.
I reserve the right to change my mind but it was time to shit or get off the pot.

I watch at home because I live in Midland and there are no soccer bars here. I here the Austin LFC supporters watch at Fado downtown.

Originally posted by Ketchum

Would recruiting be better, worse, or the same if Suddes were still around?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't think Suddes could have changed the entire picture, but he would have helped make for a smoother transition. If Charlie wanted to make a change there, he should have kept Suddes for a few more months, allowed Suddes to look for a new job and then bring his new guy to learn all the important details from Suddess before making the transition complete.

That makes sense.

Another question. In looking at your depth chart, it appears we have a lot of Jr's and seniors with decent to pretty nice talent. At the very least they've played a lot. Can an argument be made that we will be better this year than last, then take a step back, followed by being on the rise again?
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
Sure, although if Heard ended up being the quarterback, it would mitigate some of that potential downtime/step back, while possibly offsetting some of the upside this season.

Originally posted by SnakeEarl:
Doyle can't break an egg blocking...if he starts, monitor ash's health and add 18 months to our delivery. No one is intimidated by our ol....it flat out is average.
starting line-up looks like it could be good on paper.

I saw it as a phonetic spelling of "Gunners", like they pronounce 'book' as 'boook". Turns out the fans really do call themselves "Gooners" - 'm I bad.
No worries. Imagine all of the photoshop possibilities.

Originally posted by MidTexHorn:
I watch at home because I live in Midland and there are no soccer bars here. I here the Austin LFC supporters watch at Fado downtown.
Gonna have to check that out.

Originally posted by Fuddy:
No Redemption Song? That would be my #1
Wow, No.1?

Probably the last song I left out. Bob has a great list of songs.

I don't know that it can be argued to be No.1 over his more iconic songs.
Definitely. It's an easy top 3 for me. Easy.

Also Mellow Mood would make my top 10 before Concrete Jungle.

He's got so many good ones:

Could you be loved
One drop
Is this love
Natural mystic
Buffalo Soldier
Get up stand up
Exodus
Turn your lights down low
Lively up yourself...

The list goes on and on.

I've been to his house in Kingston. Highly recommend checking it out if you're ever over there. Pretty cool history. He died way too young. (36)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT