ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend

Originally posted by Hook3m1rish:
Colbert and Vacarro not listed. Attrition candidates?

Sanders and Meander listed. Does this imply you think they'll be available in the fall?

Another site said Malik Jefferson won't be in attendance because it's his brother's birthday. Can you confirm his attendance (since you list it as a primary reason for changing your thoughts on recruiting momentum)?

You didn't list Brossette under RBs. I assume this means UT doesn't get him?

Thanks.
a. This was about the players that I think will be on the depth chart. Those two could, but as I explained in another reply, they haven't really stepped forward and I like the young guys.

b. Sure.

c. I think Malik is a guy that probably needs to be called on Friday no matter what.

d. Yeah, I'm not going to project that one to Texas just yet.

My thoughts:
OL - if Perkins is as good as talked about, then he moves to LT and Doyle becomes the de facto starter at RG. Left tackle is too important not to be manned by the best o-lineman. Alex Dunlop has done a nice job of outlining Harrison's weakness at LT. Kennedy plays too high to line up in the interior. I'd welcome more of Alex's comments.
LB - I'm still not sold on Edmond holding the Mike job for more than 1/2 of football. I think Santos steps up and Edmond possibly slides outside. I don't know if he's ready but Edwin Freeman has an opening at LB. I'm not sold on Jinkens' ability to take on blocks.

Originally posted by Califashorn:
My surprise player of the year is Beck. The kid looks and acts like a player beyond his years. Depending on how he's attacking the weight room this summer...he might make some noise. I hope so.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
We'll see. None of those linebackers have totally established themselves, so anything is possible.

Originally posted by unclejemimah:
Good Marley list. I also really like "Easy Skanking"

Great 10 Thoughts Ketch!
Appreciate it.

Originally posted by Kronic22:
Are you backing off your prediction of a top 10 class? Seems like you are hedging a bit to top 15.
Probably gonna be close, at least with the Rivals rankings, although I think the current class will look better on paper at Rivals by signing day.

Originally posted by El Che Guevara:
Lmao@Liverpool
b39737a833feea98caea9728507bd08b.682x400x1.jpg

The O-line makes me nervous. I hope the Desmond Harrison project does not crash and burn! This is why Wickline makes the big bucks. He has his work cut out for him. The Defensive secondary also makes me nervous. I think our former secondary coach (Akina) was resting on his laurels the past few seasons. I think Josh Turner, John Harris and Tevin Jackson are 3 underrated players IMHO.

We wanted a football coach and that is what we got. Can't wait to see Strong work his magic. If Ash gets hurt, I think we have no choice but to make Heard the starter and develop him ASAP...

Ketch, I think you need to put your fears aside and embrace the Dutch! Who can't get on board with their style of play, fans, the Dutch women and Amsterdam!

Ketch, I also have a feeling you will soon be casting longing eyes at Chelsea!

Originally posted by FrancoBevo:
The question really is, how much difference can 1 off season under the new make? The answer to this be had in a little less than 7 weeks.

My assumption is that on a team that won 8 games last year, it will be enough to assure at least 8 wins this year as well. The big question is will it make enough difference to score wins against BU, UCLA, OU and OSU -

Unfortunately, 3 of those happen in the first 6 weeks of the season which will make it very tough. I think by the end of the season, this will be a team nobody wants to play - I suspect Texas will win whatever bowl in convincing fashion and head into next year with a lot of momentum.
onthesamepagelogo.jpg

Originally posted by dallashorn02:
The story of Lebron going back home to Cleveland can't be written without address why he left Miami and acknowledging the reality that Dwayne Wade is no longer one of the top 5-6 players in the league capable of playing 75 games & 38 minutes a night. That reality made the Heat's financial structure no longer viable. Lebron was able to separate his personal and professional feelings about Wade, which to his credit, can be very hard for people to do.

I think the storyline of going back to Cleveland is cool, but I'm not going to believe that even if the Heat won the championship this year, he was headed back there anyhow.
Of course, there are other factors and Miami not winning a title and not really getting closer is a part, but history will reflect on the end of the story and not the beginning when it all unfolds.

It'll just be remembered that he went home.

Originally posted by Reagan Dawg:
Ketch, solid choice in Liverpool. Check out liverpooloffside.sbnation.com. Blog and articles about Liverpool. Transfer news, player articles, etc.
Thanks. Bookmarked.

looking at that depth chart gives me great hope...all that bunch of really good players needs is some jello...like in jellen together...if strong can get this crowd motivated and organized...than 10 wins or better is in the books...

Originally posted by Double Dribble1:
slurp it up lap dog:)
This cat made some crazy ass posts last night.

Good god son.

Originally posted by BMTHORN:

Thanks for the in depth analysis on the depth chart and recruiting. I hope that you are spot on with your predictions. I'm a little nervous on DE, I hope more names arise.

And WTF is right.....Sleeping and eating with your dead mom's bones EEEEEUUUUUUUWWWWWWW!!!!!!
a. Lotta young guys have to step up. That's Charlie's bag, me thinks.

b. Seriously, that was as disturbing of a tory as you'll read.

Originally posted by BrazilHorn:
A little overly PC with the con for arsenal being a cannon on their logo.

Fits with the name of team.
Goodness gracious, it was a joke more than anything else. Stop being so serious when you read my stuff.
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Fuddy:
No Redemption Song? That would be my #1
Wow, No.1?

Probably the last song I left out. Bob has a great list of songs.

I don't know that it can be argued to be No.1 over his more iconic songs.

So many upperclassmen at LB (6... including 4 guys in contract years). QB and OL get the brunt of the fanbase's anxiety, and justifiably so, but LB may be the next most pivotal position on the team. A lot of those guys are coming back from injury, or in the case of Cobbs, coming back from the dead, but with that much experience returning, Strong needs to be able to turn the position into a team strength. The hope is that the talent is there waiting to be unlocked, but was just mishandled and abused by _iaz.

Originally posted by Ketchum:

Quarterback (2): Zach Gentry (Albuquerque, NM) and Kai Locksley (Baltimore, MD)

Current rankings: Gentry (4 stars/5.8/No.9 pro-style QB) and Locksley (4 stars/5.8/No.12 dual-threat QB)

Quickie thoughts: The quarterback recruiting could get very interesting in the next couple of weeks. In addition to having the commitment from Gentry, the Longhorns are in the top three with FSU and Maryland for the signature of Locksley, whose father is the offensive coordinator for the Terps. Here are a few reasons why I think the Longhorns eventually land Locksley …

1. His father has worked for four schools and in four conferences over the course of the last decade, which means that as the offensive coordinator for the Terps it becomes impossible to project his father still being with the school at the end of the decade. I mean … it could happen, but it seems unlikely and I have a hard time believing his father is going to let him get caught up on the middle of his career trajectory.
2. Florida State appears to view Locksley as more of an athlete than quarterback and has Deondre Francois high on its recruiting board.
3. Committing to Florida State (ACC) in a year when Maryland is making its debut in the Big 10 would be a political two-step I'm guessing his father would like to not have to deal with.
4. The Longhorns appear to recruiting Locksley as a quarterback and represent the Switzerland in this discussion, as it's not the ACC or the Big 10 or anything that could leave his father in any kind of a weird spot.
5. The kid really likes Texas.

Hey, maybe the kid is going to sign with Maryland and follow his dad to all ends of the earth if need-be, but Texas seems like a really good situation for him and the question for the Longhorns if he commits is whether it impacts Gentry. My guess is they are telling Gentry they view Locksley as an athlete-first and that he shouldn't have anything to worry about, that he's just a quarterback insurance policy, while they tell Locksley that he's a quarterback-first and will get every shot to prove it. Right now, I'll go ahead and project the Longhorns to land both … for now.

Ketch,

You make a solid case for us getting both Gentry and Locksley, but don't see Strong & Co. blowing any smoke at Gentry regarding competition for the position. That doesn't seem to be Charlie's MO, and these kids are close enough to compare notes & expose that kind of double-talk, which neither would appreciate. Gentry knows (or should) that he'll have to earn it every day, & seems confident enough to buy in on that basis.

Arsenal

... Fans are known as Gooners. Which would seem to have great t-shirt potential. Colin Firth's favorite team. Located in London. Like the Green Bay Packers, the team is owned by its fan-base, which can buy shares of the team.

Congrats on "The Decision", man; but if you're going to be a fan of British soccer, you've got to learn the language.

Good choice with Liverpool. They've been an entertaining and frustrating follow over the past few years, but they are the epitome of European football for me as far as their fans and history go and they're big enough and have enough money that they should always contend for top 4 finishes and Champions League and the occasional Premiership title (need to get one of those soon). Anyway, I think you'll enjoy following them and all of the new talent they're bringing in to the best home environment in soccer - Anfield. YNWA!

This post was edited on 7/14 1:58 PM by MidTexHorn

Originally posted by SAXETU:
I decided on Liverpool too. I really like their coach from what I have heard and read about him and he might not be the best player on the planet but I really liked watching Daniel Sturridge and I watched some highlights of Lazar Markovic when his name was mentioned last week and I thought he would be a fun young player to watch.
we're in this together, my Liverpool brother.

Originally posted by youknowrob:
Is Leroy Scott back on the team? Sorry if mentioned already
My mistake to list him. Brain-malfunction.

Originally posted by jspirohorn:
My thoughts:
OL - if Perkins is as good as talked about, then he moves to LT and Doyle becomes the de facto starter at RG. Left tackle is too important not to be manned by the best o-lineman. Alex Dunlop has done a nice job of outlining Harrison's weakness at LT. Kennedy plays too high to line up in the interior. I'd welcome more of Alex's comments.
LB - I'm still not sold on Edmond holding the Mike job for more than 1/2 of football. I think Santos steps up and Edmond possibly slides outside. I don't know if he's ready but Edwin Freeman has an opening at LB. I'm not sold on Jinkens' ability to take on blocks.
OL - Doyle can't be a starter IMO.

LB - +1. Phil Steele loves them, though.

I understand your interest was up and the exposure was right to begin the vetting process during the WC, but maybe should have watched a little EPL season before committing. Is Liverpool coached by Mack Brown or something? I admire your courage to step up there though. Let's see if it sticks.

Originally posted by Wedge75:
when can we get a Yoko Ono "Top 10?"
I'm going to say it's probably going to take 10 more years worth of names before she makes it. Hell, I still need to do Aretha.

Originally posted by HornDog:

We wanted a football coach and that is what we got. Can't wait to see Strong work his magic. If Ash gets hurt, I think we have no choice but to make Heard the starter and develop him ASAP...

Ketch, I think you need to put your fears aside and embrace the Dutch! Who can't get on board with their style of play, fans, the Dutch women and Amsterdam!

a. After all those years of Mack Brown, here we go...

b. I don't hate the Dutch, I just can't stand to hear my wife tell the story for the 50,000 time how she was dating a Dutch before I took her from him.

c. Chelsea is my back-up should this go wrong.

Originally posted by HornDog:

a. After all those years of Mack Brown, here we go...

b. I don't hate the Dutch, I just can't stand to hear my wife tell the story for the 50,000 time how she was dating a Dutch before I took her from him.

c. Chelsea is my back-up should this go wrong.
Now the truth comes out.

I used to really like Robert Redford until he hit on my wife (before we were dating). Now...not so much. You're previously inexplicable hatred of the Dutch is now understandable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT