ADVERTISEMENT

OB Auction No.3: Raising $ for Haruka Weiser fund (5 new items - NBA Playoff Package with McComas)

What specific questions did you have?

In terms of where the money will go, the hope is that our donations will fund a special bench that would be placed near the Fine Arts building in her name.

This will also specifically provide scholarships to UT Fine Arts students in her name.

That's good enough. My wife asked what the auction was for and I couldn't find the original post to read it to her.

Reactions: marinehorn
That's good enough. My wife asked what the auction was for and I couldn't find the original post to read it to her.

This is latest that I saw...

The money is placed in the Haruka Memorial Fund that has been set up by UT on behalf of the family. The possible options that have provided to me are physical memorials (there is a memorial bench planned near the Dance dept), scholarships for future dance students and possibly safety awareness campaigns. I was contacted by a group called SafeHorns.org this morning that were very interested in our effort. They are a non profit of local UT parents actively pursuing sustainable safety efforts on campus. There may be some tie in there. I think once we see what we are able to raise, we'll have some say in where we'd like to money to go.

This is latest that I saw...

The money is placed in the Haruka Memorial Fund that has been set up by UT on behalf of the family. The possible options that have provided to me are physical memorials (there is a memorial bench planned near the Dance dept), scholarships for future dance students and possibly safety awareness campaigns. I was contacted by a group called SafeHorns.org this morning that were very interested in our effort. They are a non profit of local UT parents actively pursuing sustainable safety efforts on campus. There may be some tie in there. I think once we see what we are able to raise, we'll have some say in where we'd like to money to go.
Gracias.

@Rickstacopy @Ketchum

Haruka Weiser Memorial - Our Oppty to Make a Difference
My Original Post from Feb 13th

April 6th of 2016 was a day many of us will never forget. At 9:45 that morning, Haruka Weiser’s body was found lying in Waller Creek just behind the Alumni Center.

As the news hit the press, OrangeBloods exploded with posts that filled pages. Quite possibly one of the longest threads in the site’s history stuffed full of concern, anger and an universal expression of support for this young lady.

Like many of you, I have daughters. One graduated UT and is headed to grad school. The other a junior and proud member of the pom team. Like all kids in college, they have their hopes and dreams for life. I don’t think they were ever really able to reconcile Haruka losing her opportunity in such a heinous manner. Nor could I. I suspect this was the case for most of us.

Looking to do something for the cause, I reached out to Ketch mid/late summer and bridged an idea of a fundraiser. To say the least, he was extremely supportive of using OrangeBloods as a platform.

Over the course of five months beginning early September to mid January, I spoke to every UT secretary, Director, Vice President, etc that would listen within the Dept of Student Affairs. I never thought I’d explain OB to so many people. Unfortunately, I was told no over and over for a number of reasons. The more challenging was the Weiser family’s request that Texas to be extremely cautious as to their daughter’s legacy, to protect for her potential exploitation via social media, and having ample time to mourn the loss of Haruka. In essence, our timing was wrong, our method of fundraising was not preferential, OrangeBloods was an unknown, and the parents preferred the endowment methods UT had already deployed. But still, when possible, we sought to provide clarity for what we wanted to do

During the parent’s last visit late December, we got a bit of a break. I assume, after another couple weeks of talks, a clearer understanding of our motives was emerging as was a better idea of our community and its ties to the University. The decision was made to allow OB’s fundraising effort. I was notified mid January we had approval to proceed with UT’s support.

Folks, we have a wonderful opportunity to do something great here. Our posts over those three days in early April exhibited a spectrum of emotions. Mainly it showed we all cared immensely. We can now not only make a significant donation to the Weiser Memorial on behalf of the OrangeBlood’s community but also possibly bring some closure for ourselves and our kids. We may have our differences on the site but at our core, we share many of the same values…without doubt family is top of the list followed closely by our love for The University of Texas.

I have attached the link UT has provided specifically for the OrangeBloods campaign. It allows the ability to make a donation as well as print a tax receipt if needed. All funds, as I understand currently, will be applied to physical memorials planned for the University as well as scholarship endowments for future dance students.

From a blog written by a UT student shortly after Haruka’s passing…

…And this is why we must hug our loved ones; squeeze them because we can’t imagine a world in which they don’t exist. This is why we must be active participants within our lives. This is why we must connect to others; weave around ourselves a vivid, caring, and compassionate community. This is why we must keep running, running, running into the unknown. Not because we want to escape the fear or the darkness or the incomprehensible. But because running keeps us free, progressing and purposeful. Let’s run for Haruka. “

Let’s make a difference folks. If you have any questions feel free to reach out to Ketch or me.

Hook ‘em

Donation Link. Please feel free to pass on to family and friends.

Leading Bids

1. NBA Playoff Package Via Ticket City (with McComas as your hoops guide) (High Bid is $2000 by @HLG73027)

2. An autographed Jordan Speith golf ball. (High Bid is $400 by @LonghornBuc )

3. Round of Golf at Austin Country Club after the completion of the WGC Dell Match Play. (High Bid is $250 by @ScoutMLM )

4. I O Ranch Lamb Grilling Package (High Bid is $350 by @hook_em27)

5. An autographed photo of Willie, DKR and Ben. (High Bid is $750 by @ddengr)

Last edited:
Make him wear a Spurs jersey.

c3af545f777503b0df34e73759dcb92b.jpg

How hard would it be to complete the foursome with 3 more players of buyer's choice? If we can't complete foursome who would be playing with? Winner of the tournament?

Reactions: rpb2404
ADVERTISEMENT