ADVERTISEMENT

****Offical Texas Baseball Thread****

I'm pissed right now......2nd year coach winning a natty breaking the tie for nattys with us and now they sit alone at 2nd.....I hope the administration is looking at this sht cause we are heading into the sec and Pierce is not the coach and needs to go. So for everyone that thought Pierce did some good job this year no he didn't! Lsu just showed us how its done! Now to wait for football season.....

I'm pissed right now......2nd year coach winning a natty breaking the tie for nattys with us and now they sit alone at 2nd.....I hope the administration is looking at this sht cause we are heading into the sec and Pierce is not the coach and needs to go. So for everyone that thought Pierce did some good job this year no he didn't! Lsu just showed us how its done! Now to wait for football season.....
The owner of Marucci is heavily involved with LSU. That's a pretty good recruiting perk that other programs have to compete against.

Got to start spending more money on baseball it looks like.

Reactions: westx
Reactions: RoboCocks21
It's sad to see tcu out spending us we should be right behind lsu.....
I think a lot of that has to do with Pierce. Best case scenario is they shit the bed next season and he gets fired. Never like watching the team do bad but i'm just over Pierce at this point and don't think he's the right guy for the job.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Think we lucked out on that one? The story making the rounds on the Internet today is horrific. Nothing has been confirmed, but Barstool ran with O’Sullivan having an affair with the mother of a Gators bat boy. Husband found out, killed the kids, committed suicide, and then set fire to the house. O’Sullivan and the widow were married a year later.
Whoa! Just went and read that story about it and that is wild!

Well looks like they are parting ways with Woody Williams. Don't quite understand this one. Thought pitching was better than it had been in a few years. Team was 10 nationally in team ERA at 4.10. Bullpen was a bit inconsistent but that's an issue for almost every single school in the country.

Not sure how Pierce keeps dodging the bullet but I would have to think his seat is pretty damn hot at this point.

Well looks like they are parting ways with Woody Williams. Don't quite understand this one. Thought pitching was better than it had been in a few years. Team was 10 nationally in team ERA at 4.10. Bullpen was a bit inconsistent but that's an issue for almost every single school in the country.

Not sure how Pierce keeps dodging the bullet but I would have to think his seat is pretty damn hot at this point.

I was skeptical of the woody Williams hire when it was announced. Mainly because he had never been a big time pitching coach before, but thought he did a pretty solid job in his first year. Doesn’t make much sense

There is always a team out there that will take a chance. He would be gone if it wasn't for the Tommy John
Well they are through 5 rounds of the MLB Draft and neither Witt or Gordon have been picked. My guess is they both come back next year.

I’m happy Tulo is back. He was a huge asset. Pierce as outing coach. Didn’t we already try that?

Great coaches hire great assistants and let’s them work. Coaches that ultimately end of being mediocre or outright failing try to do everything and control everything. Pierce appears to be in that category. He finally hired a pitching coach, who did a pretty good job and Pierce fires him after one season and appoints himself pitching coach(again) the only difference between now and before is it’s official last time it was sort of unspoken

I’ll also point out that Pierce has no background that would qualify him go be a pitching coach. He was a hitting coach as an assistant As a player at Houston he was an outfielder The only person that would hire David Pierce as a pitching coach is David Pierce.

Gotta be honest if I was CDC and I found out he was gonna fire Woody Williams and hire himself I would have considered making a change at head coach right then. It’s that bad an idea

Great coaches hire great assistants and let’s them work. Coaches that ultimately end of being mediocre or outright failing try to do everything and control everything. Pierce appears to be in that category. He finally hired a pitching coach, who did a pretty good job and Pierce fires him after one season and appoints himself pitching coach(again) the only difference between now and before is it’s official last time it was sort of unspoken

I’ll also point out that Pierce has no background that would qualify him go be a pitching coach. He was a hitting coach as an assistant As a player at Houston he was an outfielder The only person that would hire David Pierce as a pitching coach is David Pierce.

Gotta be honest if I was CDC and I found out he was gonna fire Woody Williams and hire himself I would have considered making a change at head coach right then. It’s that bad an idea

Pierce actually does have pitching coach experience 6 years to be exact when he was with Rice under Wayne Graham.

Pierce helped produce five staffs whose ERAs ranked in the NCAA top 30, peaking with the fourth-best mark in the nation in 2007. On that 2007 squad, two Pierce-coached pitchers received major Conference USA awards as Ryne Tacker was named C-USA Pitcher of the Year and Ryan Berry earned freshman of the year honors. Berry also earned Collegiate Baseball freshman of the year honors. In that year alone, eight Owl pitchers were selected in the MLB Draft, including the 19th overall pick, Joe Savery. From 2006-11 under Pierce, 27 Owls pitchers were chosen in the MLB Draft, eight of which were selected in the first 10 rounds. In that span, Pierce tutored six NCAA All-America selections, two freshman All-America selections and a pair of CoSIDA Academic All-Americans in Eddie Degerman (2006) and Tacker (2007)

We also have former Duke pitching coach Chris Gordon on our staff that will help Pierce.

Pierce actually does have pitching coach experience 6 years to be exact when he was with Rice under Wayne Graham.

Pierce helped produce five staffs whose ERAs ranked in the NCAA top 30, peaking with the fourth-best mark in the nation in 2007. On that 2007 squad, two Pierce-coached pitchers received major Conference USA awards as Ryne Tacker was named C-USA Pitcher of the Year and Ryan Berry earned freshman of the year honors. Berry also earned Collegiate Baseball freshman of the year honors. In that year alone, eight Owl pitchers were selected in the MLB Draft, including the 19th overall pick, Joe Savery. From 2006-11 under Pierce, 27 Owls pitchers were chosen in the MLB Draft, eight of which were selected in the first 10 rounds. In that span, Pierce tutored six NCAA All-America selections, two freshman All-America selections and a pair of CoSIDA Academic All-Americans in Eddie Degerman (2006) and Tacker (2007)

We also have former Duke pitching coach Chris Gordon on our staff that will help Pierce.
Interesting I read that he was a hitting coach at rice. Didn’t see anything about him being a pitching coach. But it is worth noting that while rice did produce some first round talents during that era msny of them had major injury issues shortly after getting in to pro ball. To the point that serval teams stopped taking rice pitchers. That would be something worth paying attention to as we move forward

Pitching coach at the college, minor league and major league level is a full time job and very technical especially these days with the data available. The head coach, or manager should be focusing on the program and hiring a pitching coach to focus on that. Especially at Texas with the resources available.

Besides as I said earlier we already tried Pierce as the pitching coach. It wasn’t really a success.

And just to be clear it wasn’t only rice pitchers that kinda had a reputation of talented pitchers but always seeming to be damaged goods when they got to the pros. There were a few programs back around that time.

Last edited:
According to some of the pitchers on the team, Chris Gordon is really good. Woody not so much. Players did not care for him or his style. He also changed a few kids throwing motion that Pierce viewed as unnecessary, which led to some heated conversations.

I was skeptical of the woody Williams hire when it was announced. Mainly because he had never been a big time pitching coach before, but thought he did a pretty solid job in his first year. Doesn’t make much sense

LOL. San Jac had better arms than Texas. Skeptical of what exactly?

I do t mean to be a sick, but do you not understand college baseball?

Skip Johnson didn’t have big D1 experience. Etc, etc.

Reactions: Hoookem722
According to some of the pitchers on the team, Chris Gordon is really good. Woody not so much. Players did not care for him or his style. He also changed a few kids throwing motion that Pierce viewed as unnecessary, which led to some heated conversations.

Sounds like a bunch of whiny bitches.

I guess when Woody returns to Sam Jac or goes to LSU we will find out

Sounds like a bunch of whiny bitches.

I guess when Woody returns to Sam Jac or goes to LSU we will find out
Ya, it's time for Texas baseball to drop pierce. It won't happen immediately. He appears to be blame shifting and firing the dude that he blames. It appears CDC is smart enough to understand that Tulo was a huge reason that this team did well 3 years ago. Tulo taking over player development and by Pierce taking over pitching, pushes pierce into a defined role. Now if pitching sucks, CDC can cut him out of the picture.

Reactions: WRLHookem
Looks like LBJ is coming back next year. Kid is going to be a stud. He made a big jump from last year to this year. Witt is also coming back. That's a least 2 good starters there. Haven't heard anything about Gordon other than the White Sox picked him in the 6th round, but if he comes back that is definitely a solid 3 man rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT