ADVERTISEMENT

Official Texas Football Spring Practice thread

Why not all 5 they're already better than anyone we had out there last year 😂
I wouldn't be against it. Get all the growing pains out in the first 3 OOC games. Then be ready by conference play. Banks and Campbell are probably our starting LT and LG next season is my guess. Both guys can step in and be day 1 starters from everything I have seen on film. Hopefully Majors put a little weight on this offseason and is ready to make a jump at center.

I wouldn't be against it. Get all the growing pains out in the first 3 OOC games. Then be ready by conference play. Banks and Campbell are probably our starting LT and LG next season is my guess. Both guys can step in and be day 1 starters from everything I have seen on film. Hopefully Majors put a little weight on this offseason and is ready to make a jump at center.
Not arguing because you may be right. But, I sincerely hope that some upperclassmen step up and legitimately beat out any freshman O lineman. I do not want to see any true freshman starters on the OL. It concerns the hell out of me.

Not arguing because you may be right. But, I sincerely hope that some upperclassmen step up and legitimately beat out any freshman O lineman. I do not want to see any true freshman starters on the OL. It concerns the hell out of me.
I don't either, but from what I have seen from the guys last season I don't see anybody that is better than Campbell or Banks. It's very telling if a guy like Hutson can come in and immediately be a starter at RG as well.

Ehhhh..... you gotta be careful about that. Fatties that get whipped early--- that tends to stick with them. It's a VERY rare breed of offensive lineman that start as a true freshman that go on to have stellar careers. Remember about 10 years ago Luke Joekel and the Matthew's kid at aTm? Those two kids were phenoms. We ain't got that.

I think the main thing we will get from the freshmen is depth. I don't think they will improve us this year because they are too young and not ready but we need more guys for depth and they will help us with that. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two is starting but that doesn't mean they will a big upgrade. They will raise the floor of the team but not the ceiling this year.

Ehhhh..... you gotta be careful about that. Fatties that get whipped early--- that tends to stick with them. It's a VERY rare breed of offensive lineman that start as a true freshman that go on to have stellar careers. Remember about 10 years ago Luke Joekel and the Matthew's kid at aTm? Those two kids were phenoms. We ain't got that.
There's plenty of examples of the opposite though. One is Kenyon Green out of A&M, he's going to be a first round pick in this years draft. Same for Evan Neal out of Bama, he's likely a top 10 pick this year and also started every game since his freshman year. I could give more examples but you see where i'm going.

Campbell and Banks are easily as good as Matthews or Joekel were coming out of high school. Matthews was only a 4 star coming out of high school from what I remember. Joeckel was as well.

We just simply don't have enough talent at that position to let these guys sit a year if they are our best option (which I think they are).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Wha?? I just saw that we are predicted to finish 5th in conference. The predictors need to get their shit together.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gs-oklahoma-oklahoma-state-baylor/7358417001/

Where did you see that ranking?

Espn: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...ball-rankings-espn-top-25-2022-preseason-poll
Baylor lost 21 of their 22 starters if I remember correctly. Iowa St. lost Purdy, Kolar, and Hall. Ok. St.'s defense lost something like 8 starters I believe. OU got hit hard with transfers and graduation. I really think we have a good shot at making some noise in the conference next year. I don't see us finishing worse than 4th with all the attrition the top teams from last year have experienced.

Call me crazy but i'm just not sold on Venables coming in and winning the conference in his first year. I just don't see it with their roster.

Baylor lost 21 of their 22 starters if I remember correctly. Iowa St. lost Purdy, Kolar, and Hall. Ok. St.'s defense lost something like 8 starters I believe. OU got hit hard with transfers and graduation. I really think we have a good shot at making some noise in the conference next year. I don't see us finishing worse than 4th with all the attrition the top teams from last year have experienced.

Call me crazy but i'm just not sold on Venables coming in and winning the conference in his first year. I just don't see it with their roster.

The thing about Iowa State and Oklahoma State is they have an established culture. And in OkSt's case it is a culture of significant wins. Aranda will have his dudes ready to roll. He's a damn good coach. Iowa State is kind of the same. Those are tough minded coaches with touch minded kids. They're gonna fight.

I'll wait and see what kind of nut sack our prima donna culture spits out this year before I get too excited.

The thing about Iowa State and Oklahoma State is they have an established culture. And in OkSt's case it is a culture of significant wins. Aranda will have his dudes ready to roll. He's a damn good coach. Iowa State is kind of the same. Those are tough minded coaches with touch minded kids. They're gonna fight.

I'll wait and see what kind of nut sack our prima donna culture spits out this year before I get too excited.
I think Sark has done a nice job of weeding the bad seeds out. Whether that translates to wins on the field is unknown at this point. The way I look at it is each of the top teams in conference from last season are sort of in a transition year with so much attrition to their rosters. This year could be the year we take the leap and win 9 games or so. Not saying we will but I don't think it's crazy to think that.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I think Sark has done a nice job of weeding the bad seeds out. Whether that translates to wins on the field is unknown at this point. The way I look at it is each of the top teams in conference from last season are sort of in a transition year with so much attrition to their rosters. This year could be the year we take the leap and win 9 games or so. Not saying we will but I don't think it's crazy to think that.

I want to agree with you, but......lol

How many starters does Kansas have coming back? We need them to have a down year.

I want to agree with you, but......lol
I can definitely understand not wanting to buy in because i'm in the same boat. I just look at our roster in comparison to other teams around the conference and there's no reason we shouldn't contend for the conference title this season. Football games aren't won on paper though lol.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I mean, congratulations on cleaning the clock of the 5'10 195 pound high school linebacker...... I guess....
I mean there's tons of other tape out there of him dominating guys his size if you go watch....

The first part of those highlights are against Katy. They had some studs on defense last season.

Last edited:
I mean there's tons of other tape out there of him dominating guys his size if you go watch....

The first part of those highlights are against Katy. They had some studs on defense last season.
Looks like he's strong. A little slow footed but that's to be expected as he's young. You can see every time he's going to run the tackle trap because he cheats back from the LOS to get clear of the guard. Can't believe nobody on the other team didn't pick up on that. He keeps his legs moving. Has decent drive. Gets a little high at times (young). His kick step will need some work. Gets a little high in his rocking chair on pass block (young). Punch seems good. He's raw, but he's definitely got talent.

Looks like he's strong. A little slow footed but that's to be expected as he's young. You can see every time he's going to run the tackle trap because he cheats back from the LOS to get clear of the guard. Can't believe nobody on the other team didn't pick up on that. He keeps his legs moving. Has decent drive. Gets a little high at times (young). His kick step will need some work. Gets a little high in his rocking chair on pass block (young). Punch seems good. He's raw, but he's definitely got talent.
Better than anything we had on the roster from last season from what I can see. He has power but needs to work on his footwork.

In my opinion Devon Campbell is a more polished player. He's more athletic than Banks and has tons of power to play inside at guard.

This is pretty spot on and saved me the trouble, lol.

The only thing we can hope is that he is coachable and has some kinesthetic intelligence to be adaptable. If he does, then he will be a monster early. If not, might be another bust.

Wha?? I just saw that we are predicted to finish 5th in conference. The predictors need to get their shit together.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...gs-oklahoma-oklahoma-state-baylor/7358417001/

Where did you see that ranking?

Espn: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...ball-rankings-espn-top-25-2022-preseason-poll
It was on a Thursday April 14th to be exact when I got the alert. Here you go.....

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...PN-releases-preseason-FPI-for-2022-186155270/

I can definitely understand not wanting to buy in because i'm in the same boat. I just look at our roster in comparison to other teams around the conference and there's no reason we shouldn't contend for the conference title this season. Football games aren't won on paper though lol.
We could’ve made the same argument all of the recent years when we’ve had Top 10 recruiting classes. I won’t buy in until I see the wins in recruiting battles translate to wins on the field.

Last edited:
We could’ve made the same argument all of the recent years when we’ve had Top 10 recruiting classes. I won’t buy in until I see the wins in recruiting battles translate to wins on the field.
We haven’t had a 5 star offensive line recruit since 2008. We pulled 2 this last class. Also haven’t had a QB of Ewers caliber since VY. Those 2 things right there are what give me some optimism. I’m still thinking the defense is going to be pretty bad though. I think NIL is going to be what helps revive our football program.

We haven’t had a 5 star offensive line recruit since 2008. We pulled 2 this last class. Also haven’t had a QB of Ewers caliber since VY. Those 2 things right there are what give me some optimism. I’m still thinking the defense is going to be pretty bad though. I think NIL is going to be what helps revive our footb
Look how many top 5 recruiting classes have we had since the RB loss to AL?

The only thing that will revive our football program is good coaches. Period.

Reactions: westx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT