ADVERTISEMENT

**Official Texas vs Cajuns thread of anxiety**

Now let's be fair kids, I said 31-27 and declined to say whom I was chosing. I can go dig up the post. But yes, we played better than I anticipated on defense, and slightly better on offense than I anticipated.
I gave you a mulligan. All good.

First management mistake of the game. Didn't get the punt return team out on time. I will take it. I think that is also the second punt that should have been caught in the air.
Mmm I think they were mulling going for it.

Anybody else not realize that we gave up 3 sacks today?

Anybody else a little concerned by that?

Anybody else think this is the best pass rushing D line we will face all year?

One Sack was on Card for holding onto the ball too long, one was on the RB for missing a block (I think it was on Robinson) and one was either Card or whoever is responsible for calling the audibles on the OL for not sliding the protection. All pretty fixable. Card seemed to adjust to the speed of the game as things progressed.

The ULL DL is one of the best three of what we’ll see this year(looking today’s scores they may be the best in regular season). You should be lauding what we saw today. At least one sack was a corner blitz.
More surprised at the lack of blitzing of a FR QB in his first start.

Oline is the weak link for sure but yes I think this was the best dline we see all year

Clob, buddy, relax. Nobody saidit was prefect. Nobody said we're taking the crystal ball or whatever they use now. You can still think we're going to lose some games. I think we'll lose some games.

But it was better. It's okay to think that we at least looked like, for one day, MOST of our ducks are in a row. That's what we're happy about. That's all. It's... Promising. And after a decade of frustrating, that is enough to make us happy

Clob, buddy, relax. Nobody saidit was prefect. Nobody said we're taking the crystal ball or whatever they use now. You can still think we're going to lose some games. I think we'll lose some games.

But it was better. It's okay to think that we at least looked like, for one day, MOST of our ducks are in a row. That's what we're happy about. That's all. It's... Promising. And after a decade of frustrating, that is enough to make us happy
And this is why we've been mediocre the last decade. You may think I'm being too harsh or judgemental- I'm not. I'm simply trying to keep the standards that we once had as a team. It's easy to fall into complacency after a decade of seeing most substandard play. My question was simply this-- if we gave up 3 sacks to UL, we've got 11 more games to play. Can a QB not named Sam stand up to the punishment of being sacked 36 times in a season?

Make sense?

And this is why we've been mediocre the last decade. You may think I'm being too harsh or judgemental- I'm not. I'm simply trying to keep the standards that we once had as a team. It's easy to fall into complacency after a decade of seeing most substandard play. My question was simply this-- if we gave up 3 sacks to UL, we've got 11 more games to play. Can a QB not named Sam stand up to the punishment of being sacked 36 times in a season?

Make sense?
I 100 percent agree. Texas still has tons to prove. Great win but there's a reason I didn't go to the game regardless of how cheap tickets were...let's see how we do against a mediocre sec team next week. Oline looked bad but can be fixed. Card looked good and bijan was bijan

I understand your concerns, clob. But I believe the o-line play is a talent issue at this point. He can get them better throughout the year, but there's a ceiling for those guys. Talent issues take time.

Make sense?
Or you could look at the fact we played 2 inexperienced qbs and didn't turn the ball over at all. 2 of those sacks were blown assignments. I have faith the staff will watch the film and get that fixed. This is one of the best fronts we will face all year. All in all the team looked to be well prepared and was a breath of fresh air compared to some of Herman's teams.

Reactions: freeper
play of the game for me was Cards pass to Whitt over the middle after double pumping. I couldn't even see the ball it was going so fast. Kid has a cannon. And R.Johnsons Juke/Leap for the first down in the late 2nd was awesome.

Reactions: freeper
I 100 percent agree. Texas still has tons to prove. Great win but there's a reason I didn't go to the game regardless of how cheap tickets were...let's see how we do against a mediocre sec team next week. Oline looked bad but can be fixed. Card looked good and bijan was bijan
Yes-- if Bijan can be up around 200 yards from scrimmage in every game, there won't be one game we won't be right in the mix with when the 4th quarter starts. And 200 yards from scrimmage is doable for that kid.

Make sense?
And we almost lost to Kansas with VY on one of those teams you continue to proclaim. Actually thanks to a questionable yet timely pass interference call. That was one of the greatest teams on both sides. I’m not saying this years team measures up but other than 3 sacks (Game 1) and some penalties (Game 1), what else is there to complain about? Going in you would have thought LaLa was gonna whoop us - 10-1, 20 returning starters, yada yada. We whipped their ass, period. Very well managed and executed game plan. Physical team. Depth. Great win with some confidence to carry forward. Bring on Ark.

The reality is this team lacks talent in some areas mainly OL that aren’t going to get addressed this year, but rather overtime. At the Monday press conference sark made the comment that the roster isn’t exactly how he’d build it. Although he didn’t expand on that OL was probably one of the areas he was talking about. The good news is we have a coaching staff now that understands it’s strengths and weaknesses and can game plan around those. I think we’re going to end up having a good season, but the best is yet to come. I think Sark will fix a lot of the issues this program has had over the last decade, but it won’t be fixed over night

Anyone’s else like the way #7 ran the ball in mop up time? Kid has some juice. Our RB room is looking solid 3 deep
Keilan would start at many P5 schools. That dude is a stud back, and we’re lucky to have him in case, god forbid, something happens to Bijan.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I do not agree with taking out Card to play Thomson. The game was not "over" and Cards last 3 possessions were TD, TD, TD. The freshman needs all the snaps he can get. If Thompson transfers so be it. Can't play scared like that

I do not agree with taking out Card to play Thomson. The game was not "over" and Cards last 3 possessions were TD, TD, TD. The freshman needs all the snaps he can get. If Thompson transfers so be it. Can't play scared like that
Yeah this transfer portal crap is causing coaches to make questionable decisions.

And we almost lost to Kansas with VY on one of those teams you continue to proclaim. Actually thanks to a questionable yet timely pass interference call. That was one of the greatest teams on both sides. I’m not saying this years team measures up but other than 3 sacks (Game 1) and some penalties (Game 1), what else is there to complain about? Going in you would have thought LaLa was gonna whoop us - 10-1, 20 returning starters, yada yada. We whipped their ass, period. Very well managed and executed game plan. Physical team. Depth. Great win with some confidence to carry forward. Bring on Ark.

I agree with you. I watched every play of yesterday's game (I DVR your games and fast forward through everything but the actual plays), and it was a pretty complete performance. A little shoddy tackling here and there, but against a quality opponent, the game was really never in doubt. And for his first start, that was an excellent performance by a young QB. If I were a UT fan, I'd be excited.

But instead I'm suddenly pretty worried about this year's version of the RRR.

I like Thompson but is Sark's system Card looks more comfortable and decisive. He will get better every game. Arkansas is not better than U la la. The atmosphere in Fayetnam will be toxic tho. I can't wait.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I like Thompson but is Sark's system Card looks more comfortable and decisive. He will get better every game. Arkansas is not better than U la la. The atmosphere in Fayetnam will be toxic tho. I can't wait.
I will be in Fayetteville for this. Hearing from some Arky folks that the atmosphere will be through the roof.

Arkansas is a pivotal game in the schedule. Get that win and 9 wins becomes likely 10 becomes possible.

Reactions: WRLHookem
I will be holding off calling for 9-10 wins. Tcu has a good and confident QB and have demonstrated to be a solid team year in and year out. Isu is solid and ou is very good.

I will be holding off calling for 9-10 wins. Tcu has a good and confident QB and have demonstrated to be a solid team year in and year out. Isu is solid and ou is very good.
That’s the thing. If they beat Arkansas next week. Even if they lose to TCU, OU, and ISU probably put them 9-3, maybe 8-4. I think I would pick Texas to beat Iowa state though to be honest. Would of beat them last year with a real coach.

The reality is this team lacks talent in some areas mainly OL that aren’t going to get addressed this year, but rather overtime. At the Monday press conference sark made the comment that the roster isn’t exactly how he’d build it. Although he didn’t expand on that OL was probably one of the areas he was talking about. The good news is we have a coaching staff now that understands it’s strengths and weaknesses and can game plan around those. I think we’re going to end up having a good season, but the best is yet to come. I think Sark will fix a lot of the issues this program has had over the last decade, but it won’t be fixed over night
I don’t know man. Everyone on here including the expert Clob (and I seriously do respect his opinion as a former player) continued to talk about how LaLa D line was one of the biggest and baddest and the main reason they would challenge us. Or is our OL suspect? Can’t have it both ways.

Make sense?
ULL has two probable NFL guys on that DL in Humphey and Hill. Keep in mind ULL has guys that didn’t have the grades to get into LSU community college.

This staff won’t have 10 called QB runs a game like Hermensa.

I expect Sweaty Pat to blitz until Card makes him pay for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metcalf #2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT