ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Corona Virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

StrangerHorn

Jan 6, 2020
Wonder if they are close to finding a Vaccine yet? Heck of a thing, My Great Grandson fixing to be on the Seattle PD when he separates next month from Navy.. Hes in Evertt now and they bleaching everything, nobodies going to the base hardly, everyone staying Indoors

Reactions: TexLou
In case anyone is interested measles is much more contagious than Coronavirus, which appears to be nothing more than viral pneumonia. Your immune system is either compromised or it’s not. Carry on

Last edited:
Reactions: Deweygolfer
In case anyone is interested measles is much more contagious than Coronavirus, which appears to be nothing more than viral pneumonia. Your immune system is either compromised or it’s not. Carry on

I cannot find the words to express how inaccurate, stupid and irrational your argument is. But you are from OU. Not your fault....

I cannot find the words to express how inaccurate, stupid and irrational your argument is. But you are from OU. Not your fault....
Oh do dazzle us with your vast knowledge of the coronavirus inner workings and how it's going to end civilization as we know it. Chucklz

Downtime for the flu is typically 1-2 weeks. This appears to be a lengthy bed stay for those 40+. Not everyone is affected in the same manner but for some it's bad. I posted in another thread on the natural antivirals if anyone is interested. For the elderly, the mortality and morbidity rates are high. This virus has the lethality of the SARS-CoV married with the AIDS cleavage penetration site which means if replicates quickly and can attack multiple types of tissue. Anyway, carry on.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Measles contagion factor is R10, Covid 19 is probably going to end up between R2-R3 so much less contagious however there is no vaccine. That's probably a year away. As far as severity we don't know. I was thinking it was going to have the same effects as the flu. Numbers aren't dropping as more people are being tested but its still early. I don't think it will be as high as 3% but it might end up being more serious than the flu.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Small hiccup in the evolution of humans and diseases.

Small pox says "hello".

Reactions: freeper
Measles contagion factor is R10, Covid 19 is probably going to end up between R2-R3 so much less contagious however there is no vaccine. That's probably a year away. As far as severity we don't know. I was thinking it was going to have the same effects as the flu. Numbers aren't dropping as more people are being tested but its still early. I don't think it will be as high as 3% but it might end up being more serious than the flu.
Flu vaccine has # needed to treat of 71. That is, it takes 71 vaccinations to prevent 1 case of clinical flu. Death rate of .1%, so it takes 71,000 vaccinations to prevent 1 death. Check the Cochrane Collaboration to confirm. Why the Brits don't do flu vaccine.

Flu vaccine has # needed to treat of 71. That is, it takes 71 vaccinations to prevent 1 case of clinical flu. Death rate of .1%, so it takes 71,000 vaccinations to prevent 1 death. Check the Cochrane Collaboration to confirm. Why the Brits don't do flu vaccine.
Am I the only one on here who doesn’t get the flu vaccine? About 10 years ago I got talked into getting the flu vaccine and I’ll be dammed if I didn’t get sick with flu symptoms the day I got the vaccine. I don’t recall getting the flu since. I get a sinus infection every year from cedar pollen etc. but that’s about it

Am I the only one on here who doesn’t get the flu vaccine? About 10 years ago I got talked into getting the flu vaccine and I’ll be dammed if I didn’t get sick with flu symptoms the day I got the vaccine. I don’t recall getting the flu since. I get a sinus infection every year from cedar pollen etc. but that’s about it

I don't. I take precautions not to get sick but if family members don't care then you're screwed. I got the flu this year.

So the UK does do the Flu Vaccine. According to the NHS 72% of people 65 and older had a flu vaccine in 2019. People below 65 range from 43-48%. These rates are high than the US

You are also overstating what Cocharne said.

"Injected influenza vaccines probably have a small protective effect against influenza and ILI (moderate-certainty evidence), as 71 people would need to be vaccinated to avoid one influenza case, and 29 would need to be vaccinated to avoid one case of ILI. Vaccination may have little or no appreciable effect on hospitalisations (low-certainty evidence) or number of working days lost."

They make the connection from vaccination to cases of flu but it isn't a simple as multiplication to go from flu vaccination to death due to other possible confounding variables.

I swear I could've typed this exact thing with the exact same words.

So obviously I agree.

I hate cedar. As a kid, I never had any issues. Now, my face, eyes, and throat burn for 6 months out of the year. I can't decide which is worse the 6 month summer or 6 month cedar pollen season.

That's a very small sample size. Most every other nation has a much higher recovery rate than death rate.

This thing sucks. The flu sucks. But the freak out mode some people are entering is ridiculous.

I know, posting these numbers isn't helping. It does appear the time to recover is long. I can't stand being sick. I'm the supper spreader type. I'll take an advil and head out to work/store just to get away from the wife.

I definitely recommend getting the flu shot if you are elderly, very young and/or if you are immune compromised. Those are the people at very high risk of dying due to complications. If you are a healthy older youth or adult with no asthma or any airway issues, then it is just a choice. While we are on topic, I would also recommend getting the shingles vaccine if >50yo and pneumococcal vaccine if >65.

Cedar pollen sucks so freaking bad. From the sound of it, I may not be as bad off as you, but it still kicks my ass from mid Feb to mid May
You no longer have to go to the doctor to get Flonase or Nasacort. It is over the counter.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Cedar pollen sucks so freaking bad. From the sound of it, I may not be as bad off as you, but it still kicks my ass from mid Feb to mid May
You sure you’re not allergic to oak pollen instead? The cedar pollen in my neck of the woods is already passed but oak pollen is kicking off. You may allergic to both?

Reactions: weevilcatch
Face it! When its your time its you time even if ya had 20 Flu Shots or ya pullin a Truck Tanker behind ya to refill ya Nasalcort or ya have to chop a hectare full of cedar, Me and trooper are still fishing and drinking Shiners, not scared of this shit,

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
PS.

When ya die ya can't take ya Money and Stocks or your panocha with ya! Never live life in Fear! Have a good time in Life for tomorrow ya might not be here!

Last edited:
Reactions: freeper and westx
You sure you’re not allergic to oak pollen instead? The cedar pollen in my neck of the woods is already passed but oak pollen is kicking off. You may allergic to both?

I'm allergic to everything LOL.

But Cedar gets me the worst. It was super high in my area a few weeks ago. Still trying to recover

I definitely recommend getting the flu shot if you are elderly, very young and/or if you are immune compromised. Those are the people at very high risk of dying due to complications. If you are a healthy older youth or adult with no asthma or any airway issues, then it is just a choice. While we are on topic, I would also recommend getting the shingles vaccine if >50yo and pneumococcal vaccine if >65.
Shingles and pneumococcal vaccines are efficacious. I have gotten both. Annual flu doesn't seem worth it to me.

Reactions: westx
All this because a group of people in one part of the world like to eat certain creatures....

BaIMEA3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT