ADVERTISEMENT

OT: School Shootings

. If you want the problem to go away then we really need to have discussions about teenage mental health and kids access to social media, violent first person shooter video games, and guns.

Do they not have mental illness in other countries that are similar to the US though? We (US) seem to have a big problem with mass shootings and just shootings in general at schools. If mental illness is the issue shouldn't this happen in other countries. We're all human we all are capable of having mental problems.

Reactions: Belldozer1
I think the world has always been messed up. Is it more messed up now, yes, but also is it an allusion? Look at population growth. We are so on top on everyone else that these things happen more and more, and at a higher rate, bc we have more people in close spaces. There are more crazies, more access to whatever vice you want, and your able to send your thoughts, actions, and beliefs to the world in a matter of seconds through social media for self gratification or whatever. I don't think there is any easy fix. It's sad and unsettling, but you cant fix crazy and you cant fix stupid. It's too complicated. Almost every aspect of our lives would be changed in some way for that to occur. All the way from changes at the top to changes at bottom. And that's not practical. Unfortunately.

I think the world has always been messed up. Is it more messed up now, yes, but also is it an allusion? Look at population growth. We are so on top on everyone else that these things happen more and more, and at a higher rate, bc we have more people in close spaces. There are more crazies, more access to whatever vice you want, and your able to send your thoughts, actions, and beliefs to the world in a matter of seconds through social media for self gratification or whatever. I don't think there is any easy fix. It's sad and unsettling, but you cant fix crazy and you cant fix stupid. It's too complicated. Almost every aspect of our lives would be changed in some way for that to occur. All the way from changes at the top to changes at bottom. And that's not practical. Unfortunately.

Pre-crime. It's coming. Re-visit minority report.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoachEmUp64
I don't want to get into the 2nd amendment because that's a religion to some people but you're completely misinformed as far as Europe goes.

Yes, they do restrict gun ownership (in many countries you must have a special provision due to the violence) but all citizens of the European Union enjoy freedom of speech, of the press, of assembly, of association, of procession and of demonstration.

Europe does have freedoms close to ours but they don't have the 2nd amendment which is the hammer on political abuse. Europe is still a powder keg and no one is monitoring the fuse.

Reactions: freeper
Do they not have mental illness in other countries that are similar to the US though? We (US) seem to have a big problem with mass shootings and just shootings in general at schools. If mental illness is the issue shouldn't this happen in other countries. We're all human we all are capable of having mental problems.

Its not just mental illness, Its mental illness, social isolation, desensitization to violence and access to guns.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
Its about mental illness. It doesn't matter if the kid goes to church regularly or if the kid doesn't go to church at all. It doesn't matter if the kid goes to a public school or a private school. Mental illness doesn't discriminate. If you take a kid with mental illness and isolate them and then desensitize them to violent behavior then they will have no idea how to cope with something as simple as getting rejected by a girl that they may have a crush on. Something like that could be devastating to a kid with good mental health but to another kid with mental health issues might think the only way to deal with that is to grab a gun and go shoot people. If you want the problem to go away then we really need to have discussions about teenage mental health and kids access to social media, violent first person shooter video games, and guns.
Well do you think a kid is getting desensitized to violence by going to church and a private Christian school? I don’t.

Well do you think a kid is getting desensitized to violence by going to church and a private Christian school? I don’t.
No. When I hear about these shootings it makes me want to move out to a rural area. But look at the last two. Italy, TX and the one in Ken. Those where rural, small schools, and tight communities where everyone knows everyone and you would think you and your kids would be safe. I have some family from Italy and I learned alot about the situation there, and that boys homelife was awful. Almost non-existent. As parents we have to be better, we have to show out kids love and attention. We have to care about their lives and be examples for them. We cant ignore them and put ourselves and our needs above theirs. I would bet most of these shootings would not happen if the kids parents had been more involved in their lives. Sad.

It's easy to say what if and how come, until it happens to someone you know or to your town. Probably only a matter of time.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
No. When I hear about these shootings it makes me want to move out to a rural area. But look at the last two. Italy, TX and the one in Ken. Those where rural, small schools, and tight communities where everyone knows everyone and you would think you and your kids would be safe. I have some family from Italy and I learned alot about the situation there, and that boys homelife was awful. Almost non-existent. As parents we have to be better, we have to show out kids love and attention. We have to care about their lives and be examples for them. We cant ignore them and put ourselves and our needs above theirs. I would bet most of these shootings would not happen if the kids parents had been more involved in their lives. Sad.

It's easy to say what if and how come, until it happens to someone you know or to your town. Probably only a matter of time.
I totally agree with you and that’s where my comment about church comes in. I think everyone would agree that church in general promotes positive behavior but a lot of parents have gotten away from going and getting their kids involved too. Just my opinion. I’m certainly not a Bible thumper but I try to live a good life.

I totally agree with you and that’s where my comment about church comes in. I think everyone would agree that church in general promotes positive behavior but a lot of parents have gotten away from going and getting their kids involved too. Just my opinion. I’m certainly not a Bible thumper but I try to live a good life.
Same way. I grew up in a bible thumping family. Went to college and never really went back consistently besides Christmas and Easter. I've got a 3 y/o boy and me and the wife have been going back to church for about a month now. Just want to raise and give my son everything I had and more, without the pressure of being at church 4 days/nights a week lol

Reactions: freeper
Same way. I grew up in a bible thumping family. Went to college and never really went back consistently besides Christmas and Easter. I've got a 3 y/o boy and me and the wife have been going back to church for about a month now. Just want to raise and give my son everything I had and more, without the pressure of being at church 4 days/nights a week lol

I agree on the 4 nights a week. Instead of being busy at church, spend a few minutes everyday reading the bible. It's better than the business and takes less time. And by all means, don't beat people up with it.

School and Church aren't relevant. If a kid is going home and playing a bunch of first person shooter video games and watching a lot of violent TV and movies then yes they are becoming desensitized to violence.

Actually, it does. Largest mass shooting happened in Norway.

I think we are talking about school shootings and the frequency in which they are occurring. I have no idea what goes down in Norway but a single catastrophic incident would not necessarily be indicative of a problem. Now if Norway is frequently having incidents and also gets to boast the title of largest one on record then it would certainly qualify as a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: okiehorn
There are school shootings in Europe, Not as common as the US. However there are knife attacks. Haven't been able to find numbers but if you compare knife and gun attacks they look to be pretty similar in number to the US if you include Russia as part of Europe.

There are school shootings in Europe, Not as common as the US. However there are knife attacks. Haven't been able to find numbers but if you compare knife and gun attacks they look to be pretty similar in number to the US if you include Russia as part of Europe.

I assume you are saying the number of occurrences are similar but can't be number of injuries/killings in one attack. Also I'm pretty sure we have knife attacks in school on top of these school shootings so we're probably still ahead of Europe. Not bragging just saying.

We still have a problem with these kids coming to school with either parents guns or getting them off the streets. Is there something out there that says that these kids are in fact getting them from home or just buying them or possibly stealing.

I assume you are saying the number of occurrences are similar but can't be number of injuries/killings in one attack. Also I'm pretty sure we have knife attacks in school on top of these school shootings so we're probably still ahead of Europe. Not bragging just saying.

We still have a problem with these kids coming to school with either parents guns or getting them off the streets. Is there something out there that says that these kids are in fact getting them from home or just buying them or possibly stealing.

It's not the weapons. It's the rot from within. Our society is rotting away. The reason europe seems safer is that they are rotting at a slower pace but it's still happening. Usually the remedy for rotting society is the iron fist of a tyrannical gov. but in the us we have weapons and a lot of them so gov is going to have to things differently this time. Enter algorithms and pre crime.

Well I guess the fix for US and Europe problems with violence in schools would be DILDOS. Yep!

School and Church aren't relevant. If a kid is going home and playing a bunch of first person shooter video games and watching a lot of violent TV and movies then yes they are becoming desensitized to violence.
We'll have to agree to disagree. Your moral compass has to come from somewhere Imo.

Reactions: TXSFRED and freeper
This hurts......I’m agreeing with a sooner! Or maybe he’s a closet Longhorn cause he’s here so much.
Ha, well, I actually had a Sooner fan accuse me of being a closet Longhorn fan right here on this forum, the problem for him though was that he couldn't find one Longhorn on this site to concur.

Church does nothing to promote ethical or moral behavior. If anything the church, especially evangelicals are the problem and the reason people are leaving the christian faith in droves. They teach nothing but fear and hate. Worshiping a jewish zombie magician does nothing to promote morality (new testament), nor does worshiping a genocidal racist asshole (old testament) promote morality. The only people that can teach this are parents. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to understand in the least.

giphy.gif

We'll have to agree to disagree. Your moral compass has to come from somewhere Imo.

Church is not a cure for mental illness. There are people that go to church regularly with mental illness. Moral compass doesn't matter if you have trouble dealing with fantasy and reality. Most people are rational people who deal with issues in a non violent manner because they can distinguish fantasy from reality. There are people who play first person shooters and who have easy access to guns who don't shoot up schools. Some of those people go to church some don't.

Ps. Kids are kids, I have taught and at public and private k-12 and public and private universities. No difference in sex, drinking and drugs. I went to a Catholic School from k-8 and a public school from 9-12. I got in a fight in 6th and 8th grade but none in 9-12.

Church does nothing to promote ethical or moral behavior. If anything the church, especially evangelicals are the problem and the reason people are leaving the christian faith in droves. They teach nothing but fear and hate. Worshiping a jewish zombie magician does nothing to promote morality (new testament), nor does worshiping a genocidal racist asshole (old testament) promote morality. The only people that can teach this are parents. Of course, I wouldn't expect you to understand in the least.
Lean over and give BLH a big kiss on the cheek for me. You're so bad at this.

That's some funny sh!t right there.

I see what you guys are saying with the message of "religion can provide a outline of how to treat others" ie---- do unto others etc.

And yes, the world would be an almost perfect place if we all treated people in the same way we like to be treated (except for those dudes that like being chained up and whipped by gothic folks in the dungeon) **belldozer**

But someone introduced the mental illness argument into the convo. Ya..... sorry, but no amount of Jesus and church will cure a person with true mental illness. We humans are all walking experiments. And what I mean by that is-- we are living, breathing, chemistry and electrical experiments. Hormones, chems, electric brain signals, phermones.... any imbalance in this chemistry set and it throws the whole thing out of whack. And once your sh!t is out of whack, i'll pray for you...... but that ain't going to fix you.
The question I have is this- when did we get so many people going so bat sh!t crazy? Did this always happen? Were these people always in our society but locked up in the boobie hatch? Prison? Is there a consistent ratio of mentally insane people in the world? Are there more now? What's causing this? Food? Water? Society? Defects in the genes? We'd better figure it out quickly.

That's some funny sh!t right there.

I see what you guys are saying with the message of "religion can provide a outline of how to treat others" ie---- do unto others etc.

And yes, the world would be an almost perfect place if we all treated people in the same way we like to be treated (except for those dudes that like being chained up and whipped by gothic folks in the dungeon) **belldozer**

But someone introduced the mental illness argument into the convo. Ya..... sorry, but no amount of Jesus and church will cure a person with true mental illness. We humans are all walking experiments. And what I mean by that is-- we are living, breathing, chemistry and electrical experiments. Hormones, chems, electric brain signals, phermones.... any imbalance in this chemistry set and it throws the whole thing out of whack. And once your sh!t is out of whack, i'll pray for you...... but that ain't going to fix you.
The question I have is this- when did we get so many people going so bat sh!t crazy? Did this always happen? Were these people always in our society but locked up in the boobie hatch? Prison? Is there a consistent ratio of mentally insane people in the world? Are there more now? What's causing this? Food? Water? Society? Defects in the genes? We'd better figure it out quickly.

Ok, questions: Could it be the world has always been this way? Could it be that there are just more people, and we have 24 hours of news coverage so we hear every single butterfly fart that happens everywhere in the world at the same time? I lean more toward this thinking. After many years of reading/studying history, I challenge anyone to point to a moral or ethical time period during human civilization. When was the golden age of human morality?

Ok, questions: Could it be the world has always been this way? Could it be that there are just more people, and we have 24 hours of news coverage so we hear every single butterfly fart that happens everywhere in the world at the same time? I lean more toward this thinking. After many years of reading/studying history, I challenge anyone to point to a moral or ethical time period during human civilization. When was the golden age of human morality?

There's never been a perfect time. Did anyone claim there was one? Talking about delaying the inevitable. But I am not a part of the public system anymore so what do I care. You're smart enough for the both of us.... Make sure to duck when you go spewing your filth in public.

ADVERTISEMENT