ADVERTISEMENT

SHAKA IS GONE

Another excellent coach that is available is Bruce Pearl. He brings energy and excitement along with outstanding coaching acumen. He knows how to manage relationships at the highest level so he won’t be intimidated by BMD’s and leadership in the university administration. Players love him and he’s an excellent talent evaluator. He understands how to coach basketball at a football school as evidenced by his success at Auburn. He would be an outstanding hire. No nonsense guy with amazing passion for people and the game of basketball.

My only fear with Beard is that he’s the flavor of the month. We know how that worked out with our football program. Not good.

I wonder if you all will alter your perception of reality after Beard turns you down to stay in Lubbock. That will mean you went after both Texas Tech's baseball and basketball coaches in the last 5 years, and both told you to pound sand. The Texas basketball job is not a great job. The last couple of years when Tech played UT in Austin, there were almost as many Tech fans as UT fans. I don't think Texas fans really care much about basketball, they just think they are entitled to be good at it since you are Texas. I truly wonder if you will alter your perception after this. Obviously, football is a different story.

My only fear with Beard is that he’s the flavor of the month. We know how that worked out with our football program. Not good.
I don’t really get this line of thinking. Beard is hardly the flavor of the month

he’s been a head coach at the jr college level, NCAA DIi, and Divsion 1 and hes won at all levels. Took Arkansas Little Rock to the 2nd round of the tournament. Has been to the elite 8 and the championship game with Tech. He’s got the best resume of anyone your likely to get. Dude has been around and been successful literately everywhere he’s been.

I wonder if you all will alter your perception of reality after Beard turns you down to stay in Lubbock. That will mean you went after both Texas Tech's baseball and basketball coaches in the last 5 years, and both told you to pound sand. The Texas basketball job is not a great job. The last couple of years when Tech played UT in Austin, there were almost as many Tech fans as UT fans. I don't think Texas fans really care much about basketball, they just think they are entitled to be good at it since you are Texas. I truly wonder if you will alter your perception after this. Obviously, football is a different story.

Why all the hate?

Beard may ultimately turn down the job(if it’s actually offered to him.) but let’s not act like he isn’t listening. If he had absolutely no interest in Texas he would or said so yesterday.

Beard may ultimately turn down the job(if it’s actually offered to him.) but let’s not act like he isn’t listening. If he had absolutely no interest in Texas he would or said so yesterday.

It would be relevant to remember UT BMDs called Beard before he signed his last extension at Tech, and he told them no. There has been smoke in regards to him leaving for UCLA, Indiana, Arizona, etc. this year and in past years as well. He has never addressed it. But here he still is.

I am actually not sure Beard would be as successful at UT as he is at Tech. I am skeptical of whether or not he can lead a team of McDonald's All-Americans and such the same way he can lead a team of "street dogs" as he puts it.

Another excellent coach that is available is Bruce Pearl. He brings energy and excitement along with outstanding coaching acumen. He knows how to manage relationships at the highest level so he won’t be intimidated by BMD’s and leadership in the university administration. Players love him and he’s an excellent talent evaluator. He understands how to coach basketball at a football school as evidenced by his success at Auburn. He would be an outstanding hire. No nonsense guy with amazing passion for people and the game of basketball.
I like him as a coach and his energy. My question is around the dirtiness concerning him. Doesn’t he have some checkered past? Both at Tennessee and Auburn?

I don’t really get this line of thinking. Beard is hardly the flavor of the month

he’s been a head coach at the jr college level, NCAA DIi, and Divsion 1 and hes won at all levels. Took Arkansas Little Rock to the 2nd round of the tournament. Has been to the elite 8 and the championship game with Tech. He’s got the best resume of anyone your likely to get. Dude has been around and been successful literately everywhere he’s been.

He’s a good coach. No doubt. His star is shining bright right now and he needs to capitalize on it. Either with a lucrative deal to coach UT or with a lucrative extension at TT. He’s going to be one of the highest paid coaches no matter what happens. The timing is good for him too since there are other top programs looking for an elite coach so the market is going to drive up his price.

I’m just hesitant to make him the highest paid coach because he’s simply the hot candidate. I thought Tom Herman was going to be the answer because we finally landed the hot coach that everyone wanted. I don’t want us to fall into that trap again. Let Tech or OU overpay him.

We need someone who will generate energy and excitement about our program. Bruce Pearl would be the best fit and would be great to open the Moody Center with him at the helm. He’s just as good a coach and won’t cost us nearly as much. He’s an outstanding recruiter as well.

He’s a good coach. No doubt. His star is shining bright right now and he needs to capitalize on it. Either with a lucrative deal to coach UT or with a lucrative extension at TT. He’s going to be one of the highest paid coaches no matter what happens. The timing is good for him too since there are other top programs looking for an elite coach so the market is going to drive up his price.

I’m just hesitant to make him the highest paid coach because he’s simply the hot candidate. I thought Tom Herman was going to be the answer because we finally landed the hot coach that everyone wanted. I don’t want us to fall into that trap again. Let Tech or OU overpay him.

We need someone who will generate energy and excitement about our program. Bruce Pearl would be the best fit and would be great to open the Moody Center with him at the helm. He’s just as good a coach and won’t cost us nearly as much. He’s an outstanding recruiter as well.
The difference between Beard and Herman is Beard has been a HC for several years now and he’s been successful everywhere he’s been. Herman had basically one great year as a HC before Texas, LSU and USC were all up his ass

I like him as a coach and his energy. My question is around the dirtiness concerning him. Doesn’t he have some checkered past? Both at Tennessee and Auburn?

He got in trouble at Tennessee when he had a cookout at his home for his team and a recruit came over with his Dad. He wasn’t expecting them to be there. Instead of asking them to leave he told them they could stay as long as they kept quiet about it. He admitted to this when the ncaa investigated and he got sanctioned by the ncaa. It was a chickenshlt violation.

At Auburn, he had an assistant coach who pled guilty to corruption and bribery for something unrelated to the program. He had no knowledge of the actions of his assistant and immediately terminated him. It left a stain on him because it was on his watch. Auburn didn’t really support him and he feels like he needs to get out of there for a fresh start.

He took Auburn to the final four in 2019.

Look, we don't need to make it another soap opera, a la urban Meyer. We can make a wishlist here. There may actual conversation with beard; it may be internet click bait. I just want CDC to get the right guy-- he's done that so far in all of his other hires. Just get the right guy. Btw, Andy Enfield AIN'T that guy. But I digress.

Reactions: horn wild
Look, we don't need to make it another soap opera, a la urban Meyer. We can make a wishlist here. There may actual conversation with beard; it may be internet click bait. I just want CDC to get the right guy-- he's done that so far in all of his other hires. Just get the right guy. Btw, Andy Enfield AIN'T that guy. But I digress.
Andy Endield kill your dog or something?

He shoulda never let his hair grow out, thats what did him in..A last season Haircut..LOL

I would like to add my suggestions to the possible new coaches list.

Anybody who has coached the Sacramento Kings the last 15 years. Hey I live here I know a good coach when I see one.

Anybody who has ever coached the Clippers.

Is Bob Weltlich still alive?

Rick Pitino is also out there. There's no denying the fact that this guy is an elite coach. 782-227 lifetime record with two national championships and 8 Final Four appearances . He's a lock for the Hall of Fame. The only problem with him is he has a lot of baggage for off court issues. If we're willing to overlook the baggage, we've got a helluva coach. He's the best coach out there that is obtainable. If it weren't for all the baggage, he would be the sure-fire best choice without hesitation.

Keep in mind that OU is also looking for a BBall coach now that Lon Kruger has decided to retire. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.
Pitino/Calipari are to MBB what Meyer/Saban are to CFB.

Pitino/Calipari are to MBB what Meyer/Saban are to CFB.
I wouldn’t put Cal in that realm. As a matter of fact you could argue with the attention cal gets, and the talent he recruits he’s under achieved. Only one title. He’s a good coach, but he doesn’t reach Saban territory. There are a lot of coaches on college basketball better than Cal

Andy Endield kill your dog or something?
I've watched them play. The x & o part. Look at what you're considering his laurels-- a one weekend run at fgcu and a one weekend run this year. His first year at SC there was a great deal of buyer's regret. But similar to somebody we know, it wasn't cost effective to let him go. They are an 11 seed this year. Kansas was depleted. Let's not run back the same mistake. His wife, however, is very much welcome any time.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
I wouldn’t put Cal in that realm. As a matter of fact you could argue with the attention cal gets, and the talent he recruits he’s under achieved. Only one title. He’s a good coach, but he doesn’t reach Saban territory. There are a lot of coaches on college basketball better than Cal
  • 3 Sweet 16s
  • 6 Elite 8s
  • 5 Final 4s including being runner up twice
  • 1 Natty
Argument isn't that he's Saban. Argument is that, based on the record, he and Pitino are MBB's equivalent. Who is better in MBB than Pitino and Calipari based on record alone?

Reactions: Drtxhorn
  • 3 Sweet 16s
  • 6 Elite 8s
  • 1 Natty
Argument isn't that he's Saban. Argument is that, based on the record, he and Pitino are MBB's equivalent. Who is better in MBB than Pitino and Calipari based on record alone?

Coach K. Roy Williams.

Izzo has been to like 8 ff, I THINK. Best coaches right now are jay Wright then mark few. After that, it gets murky. Self, Sampson, Izzo is probably still in that group, Altman. Juwan Howard is off to a good start. Most underrated is Leonard Hamilton. Imo, of course.

Side note-- southwest conference is killing it. Arkansas and Baylor to elite 8. Houston a half away. Tech and Texas were good. I realize life wouldn't be the same had we stayed together, but it's nice to imagine

• 3 Sweet 16s
  • 6 Elite 8s
  • 1 Natty
Coach k, Roy Williams, Tom Izzo, Cal is a great PR man and recruiter. I think there are a lot of guys who are better coaches. And there is a difference

Reactions: ElDiabloTejano
Since we are Texas, why not throw a bunch of money at a coach who has actually won a national title without cheating, does one exist?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT