ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Fall Camp Part Deux

I look for our secondary to improve this year. How much is still be TBD, but I feel like we have more talent there this year.
They played pretty confident in that clip, now we wait to see if they do it against other teams running their best plays.

We have to remember, other teams will also have to account for our run game. That's going to take pressure off the QB...I say start ewers.

Teams are going to still commit to the running game until we prove we can beat them consistently with the pass.
One thing ewers has shown he's good at this fall camp is the play action boot leg. So that could work in our favor.

I'm not understanding the 11 AM start for the Texas/Alabama game. I know that television/networks for the most part dictate the start of game times, but that time slot is BS. The game should be at 7 PM. It is going to be very, very hot during that game for everyone involved.

I'm not understanding the 11 AM start for the Texas/Alabama game. I know that television/networks for the most part dictate the start of game times, but that time slot is BS. The game should be at 7 PM. It is going to be very, very hot during that game for everyone involved.
Might be the only advantage we have...

But I agree it's b.s and one of the reasons Texas is leaving the big12

Maybe Sark is going to pull the ol’ Herman ac trick on Bama. Got to use every advantage because Bama’s going to be pretty salty I would think

I agree. We can hope that we get a massive downpour of rain right at game time.

Either way, we have to play through it and show more grit and toughness than Bama.

The heat is going to drain the crowd too. An evening game would be best for everyone.

It's on FOX. The 11am slot is where they put their biggest rating grabber because it is not up against the other networks big games. FOX has the 11am game, CBS has the 2:30 game, and ABC has the prime time game as their big match ups.

I agree. We can hope that we get a massive downpour of rain right at game time.

Either way, we have to play through it and show more grit and toughness than Bama.

The heat is going to drain the crowd too. An evening game would be best for everyone.
Yep, and the South endzone will look empty cuz everybody will be in the club soaking up AC.

That might not be a bad thing if Quinn just isn’t ready yet. I would hate to throw him out there to the wolves and just completely ruin his confidence.
watching the open practice video...yeah i disagree..i dumb down the offense and let Ewers start...he has way more upside. Card looked just bad for a year 2 QB..doesn't have the arm strength for the outside throws. Ironically over throws the post routes, and has happy feet. Ewers would have his downs, but way more ups than card.

heres the thing, this can end bad for Sark. If he starts Ewers he has that freshman excuse to throw out if things go wrong, but starting Card, if he is wrong..he's in deep water with ankle weights on.

Reactions: weevilcatch
watching the open practice video...yeah i disagree..i dumb down the offense and let Ewers start...he has way more upside. Card looked just bad for a year 2 QB..doesn't have the arm strength for the outside throws. Ironically over throws the post routes, and has happy feet. Ewers would have his downs, but way more ups than card.

heres the thing, this can end bad for Sark. If he starts Ewers he has that freshman excuse to throw out if things go wrong, but starting Card, if he is wrong..he's in deep water with ankle weights on.
No he’s not. It’s only year 2. If he starts Card and he doesn’t perform up to standards then he brings Ewers in a little bit later and then maybe by that point he’s got the offense down a little better. He didn’t wait long last year to make the move. He’s been there in every practice in spring and now fall camp. He knows who is more prepared at this point. If he thinks as of right now Card is the better option then so be it. It’s not the end all be all. You just give him a short leash.

Neither QB looked good in that open practice if we are being honest. I didn’t come away impressed with either one of them.

Reactions: hookem777
Neither QB looked good in that open practice if we are being honest. I didn’t come away impressed with either one of them.
both made mistakes, one had more natural talent. Ewers a 18 year old first time in system, tied with 2nd year man..yeah you start Ewers..have growing pains like you will with your o-line who will be starting 3 freshman. And again, MONEY RUNS ALL...lots of money spent on Ewers..if Sark is wrong , he's gone.

both made mistakes, one had more natural talent. Ewers a 18 year old first time in system, tied with 2nd year man..yeah you start Ewers..have growing pains like you will with your o-line who will be starting 3 freshman. And again, MONEY RUNS ALL...lots of money spent on Ewers..if Sark is wrong , he's gone.
7-5 6-6 is understandable with a freshman 18 year old qb...its not with a 2nd year qb , with the money spent "stud" on the bench.

ill be there opening night...im telling you now, i think as soon as card does bad, the boos will start..just like gilbert vs byu back in the day. Texas sold the most season tickets ever this year and alot has to do with Bijan/Ewers.. fans want Ewers, from what im hearing players want Ewers, Donors obviously want Ewers. I hope Card does well because i want Texas to win but again if this back fires...watch out

Reactions: DrHorn98
If Ewers isn’t ready then he’s not ready. I don’t know why people are so infatuated with throwing what is essentially a true freshman out there right off the bat. If he needs a little more time then it is what it is. Historically Sark has been really good with QBs so I’ll trust his judgment. He pulled the plug quick on Card last year when he wasn’t performing. Won’t be any different this year.

Reactions: westx and hookem777
If Ewers isn’t ready then he’s not ready. I don’t know why people are so infatuated with throwing what is essentially a true freshman out there right off the bat. If he needs a little more time then it is what it is. Historically Sark has been really good with QBs so I’ll trust his judgment. He pulled the plug quick on Card last year when he wasn’t performing. Won’t be any different this year.
Sark literally said he doesn't want to do the YOYO qb system this year. And im not saying your logic is flawed..im simply stating that i think A. Start Ewers..we disagree, ok. B. If this back fires on Sark it will be bad, he wont have the excuse of (freshamn QB)

Card will be replaced Sep 11th. Sark doesn't want to ruin Ewers vs Bama, he knows whoever QB's that game will get killed.
maybe so , i think that is the only thing i can land on that answerswhy?...

maybe so , i think that is the only thing i can land on that answerswhy?...
Will Anderson & Dallas Turner are the best two edge rushers in the country. Who thinks Banks & Jones are up to that challenge? Not Sark. He is playing it smart.

Reactions: hookem777
Sark Presser Updates heading into the weekend:

• On the QB battle and naming a starter: “I have a pretty good idea, but I want to give these guys an opportunity to compete, so that’s what we’re doing”
  • Believes TE is one of the most improved position groups. He was complimentary of Sanders’ receiving abilities and praised Billingsley and Davis’ efforts in camp.
  • On defense, he says that the tackling and fundamentals look better than last season.
  • Byron Murphy and Vernon Broughton have had strong camps.
  • He believes that Collins (4-6 weeks) and Hutson (should return by ULM) will be back from injury sooner rather than later.
  • On D’Shawn Jamison: “DJ had a good spring, and has taken his game to another level this fall camp.”
  • On Jaylon Guilbeau: “He’s a gym rat, a football junkie, a confident player, a playmaker who is providing good competition for Jahdae (Barron) at nickel. He had an interception in practice today.”
  • Says that Kelvin Banks is suited for LT because of his demeanor. Sark also praised his maturity.

Reactions: westx
ADVERTISEMENT