ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Fall Camp Part Deux

No one is really privy to very much detail about what's going on within the program now position-wise, but from the bits of information that have been shared so far, it is concerning. If someone told me that Texas would end up 8-4 this season, I'd take it right now. The defense is very concerning, especially at LB. The OL has potential, but until they jell on the field, they are still very suspect. That no one has emerged as the clear-cut starter at QB by now is also cause for concern.

Reactions: freeper
Hence the sky high expectations at BU this year. If you watched Bohannen any at all, but especially at the Sugar Bowl - he had zero passing ability. None. Awful. A great guy, leader of men, with no talent. Blake Shapen came in and lit it up, leading BU to the conference title. We lose a lot of talent on D, but we have all 5 starters back on the O-line and Shapen.
Pitre and Bernard are 2 really good defensive guys that y’all have to replace. On offense replacing Smith, Ebner, Thornton, and Sneed is a pretty big task as well. That’s almost of you guys production on the offensive side of the ball from last that’s gone.

Some positive notes I got from the scrimmage:
Oline. Banks was really good. (no surprise) Cole Hutson was really good.
He plays angry and will start at right guard sooner than later. (if not game one)
Transfer LB from James Madison "Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey " was very good. Fast, hits hard and is a sure tackler. Best description is a Gary Johnson clone. He and Ford are the starting inside LB's with Overshown lining up all over the field.

"He plays angry"

I love to hear that. One of my many gripes last year about the OL. Never saw anyone pissed off they were getting their ass whipped.

Reactions: DrHorn98
There were multiple SEC schools that offered him a scholarship so it's not like we were the only school who wanted him. He was one of the highest coveted players in the portal this offseason. He's a bit undersized and probably a big reason he wasn't recruited highly, but he was an FCS All American last year. Small school doesn't automatically equate to bad player.
Why I said "9 out of 10" times.

It seemed like Sark wanted to name a starting QB this week, but given the performances by each of them on Saturday, this probably won’t be the case.
It may be a stretch and I may be reading too much into it, but I have a feeling Sark is doing the same sh*t as last year. He wants Ewers to win the battle, but he isn't. He is giving him more time to fill his self fullfilling prophecy. Newsflash. Ono more week won't do sh*t.

Reactions: outhereincali
It may be a stretch and I may be reading too much into it, but I have a feeling Sark is doing the same sh*t as last year. He wants Ewers to win the battle, but he isn't. He is giving him more time to fill his self fullfilling prophecy. Newsflash. Ono more week won't do sh*t.

Don't think that NIL doesn't have some influence in the QB decision. I'm pretty sure that it does...

Reactions: Belldozer1
A quote from Burton:

-I’m told quarterback Quinn Ewers went in for extra work with QB coach AJ Milwee both before and after practice on Monday. And that time goes above and beyond the regularly scheduled QB meetings.

-Ewers appears to understand he has some serious work ahead of him following Saturday’s scrimmage which included lackluster performances by both Ewers and Hudson Card.

Should have been doing this all summer. Bunch of jackasses out there, no wonder we can never turn the corner.

A quote from Burton:

-I’m told quarterback Quinn Ewers went in for extra work with QB coach AJ Milwee both before and after practice on Monday. And that time goes above and beyond the regularly scheduled QB meetings.

-Ewers appears to understand he has some serious work ahead of him following Saturday’s scrimmage which included lackluster performances by both Ewers and Hudson Card.

Should have been doing this all summer. Bunch of jackasses out there, no wonder we can never turn the corner.
I think there's a limit to the number of hours coaches can coach the kids in the offseason.

Reactions: K2C Sooner
A quote from Burton:

I think Ewers is going to be just fine. Recall that VY, Colt, and Sam also struggled in their first season while still showing their potential. It takes at least a full season in a system before you get comfortable and confident. I like that he’s putting in extra work to get caught up after not playing for two seasons. I hope he’s named the starter so it accelerates his development. He’s going to make a ton of mistakes while he grasps the system.

I think Ewers is going to be just fine. Recall that VY, Colt, and Sam also struggled in their first season while still showing their potential. It takes at least a full season in a system before you get comfortable and confident. I like that he’s putting in extra work to get caught up after not playing for two seasons. I hope he’s named the starter so it accelerates his development. He’s going to make a ton of mistakes while he grasps the system.
Colt even struggled in his second season. He threw 18 interceptions his sophomore year. People just need to get ready because there's going to be some bumps in the road with him. It happens to all young QBs, it's inevitable. I just hope the fan base doesn't give up on him after he makes a few mistakes.

Reactions: freeper
A quote from Burton:

I still find it hard to believe that any freshman can come in and grasp on offense year 1. I think it is more normal to hear "isn't yet grasping the offense" for a freshman QB than not, because it is rare to use a freshman at any school. A redshirt freshman in the same system can make sense. Last year, Card was a RS Freshman in a new system and now same with Quinn. I don't think we should be in a hurry. If these two QBs are indistinguishable, it is very easy. You start the upperclassman. You can groom Quinn as you go along. Hopefully we'll have some break away wins and get him some decent playing time.

Colt even struggled in his second season. He threw 18 interceptions his sophomore year. People just need to get ready because there's going to be some bumps in the road with him. It happens to all young QBs, it's inevitable. I just hope the fan base doesn't give up on him after he makes a few mistakes.
I'm not asking for perfection. I don't think it's unheard of to expect that our million dollar transfer who the coaches desperately wanted would be ready to start in a full spring and offseason. The urgency should have been there all year, not wait until fall camp before you act like you want to win the starting job. Maybe he has been working hard all summer and I'm wrong, but that would be even worse.

Before the sky starts falling on the QB's, consider this:

By this time in Camp, the Defense pretty much knows what's coming. The Db's definitely know the wr's tendencies.

Sark is a perfectionist when it comes to QB's, His subpar review of performance, could be a pretty good performance in the eyes of a fan.

Maybe wishful thinking but I am hanging my hat on it. :)

I'm not asking for perfection. I don't think it's unheard of to expect that our million dollar transfer who the coaches desperately wanted would be ready to start in a full spring and offseason. The urgency should have been there all year, not wait until fall camp before you act like you want to win the starting job. Maybe he has been working hard all summer and I'm wrong, but that would be even worse.
Maybe wait until you see the product on the field to cast judgement. I know Sark has a high standard for QBs, so what he sees as struggling a little bit could just be him demanding perfection.

Maybe wait until you see the product on the field to cast judgement. I know Sark has a high standard for QBs, so what he sees as struggling a little bit could just be him demanding perfection.
I'm not basing it off what Sark says. Every reporter out there is saying he is struggling with the offense. Maybe they are all lying, maybe the light will turn on in the next couple of weeks.

I'm not basing it off what Sark says. Every reporter out there is saying he is struggling with the offense. Maybe they are all lying, maybe the light will turn on in the next couple of weeks.
Most of all practices have been closed. There hasn't been much access to the team portion of practices. So these reporters aren't getting a full picture of what's really going on.

Reactions: Buck Bomb
All those reporters start with: "From what I am hearing"

Reactions: Hoookem722
Hearing we could have 3 freshman starting linemen. Williams and Campbell looking strong kelvin banks too.
Savion taking punt returns as well as B.Thompson.

Ewers and Card splitting equal reps with first team.

Pass rush still needs major help.

I hope that we're all pleasantly surprised with what Texas puts on the field this season. I'm not buying into any hype yet until this program shows a consistent/continual shift in marked improvement. We cannot continue to lose games in the second half like what happened last season.

I think that the Alabama game is going to be ugly, but hope that it doesn't create morale issues within the team if it is a dominating loss. Let's hope that Sark and the coaches can coach these young men up and continue to stock the cupboard with "A" players in recruiting and through portal transfers. Quality depth, three deep, is critical to build what needs to be built.

I hope that we're all pleasantly surprised with what Texas puts on the field this season. I'm not buying into any hype yet until this program shows a consistent/continual shift in marked improvement. We cannot continue to lose games in the second half like what happened last season.

I think that the Alabama game is going to be ugly, but hope that it doesn't create morale issues within the team if it is a dominating loss. Let's hope that Sark and the coaches can coach these young men up and continue to stock the cupboard with "A" players in recruiting and through portal transfers. Quality depth, three deep, is critical to build what needs to be built.
Knowing us ...we will play Alabama surprisingly good.. be up even at some points..and barley lose. Then get blown out by teams much worse. Texas usually plays up or down to competition.. especially last 12 years.

Knowing us ...we will play Alabama surprisingly good.. be up even at some points..and barley lose. Then get blown out by teams much worse. Texas usually plays up or down to competition.. especially last 12 years.
Looking back I don't think we played down to the competition. If we had better coaching this would have never happened.

That 2019 LSU game weighs in the back of my mind quite a bit. That was one of the greatest teams of the last 50 years and we had them on the ropes. They beat us by 7. You never know in college football. Now I don’t think we will beat Bama but we might be able to keep it close. That should be a good gauge for the rest of the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT