ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Fall Camp Part Deux

That 2019 LSU game weighs in the back of my mind quite a bit. That was one of the greatest teams of the last 50 years and we had them on the ropes. They beat us by 7. You never know in college football. Now I don’t think we will beat Bama but we might be able to keep it close. That should be a good gauge for the rest of the season.
Despite his hard ass demeanor Saban doesn’t like to run up scores so we either keep it close by virtue of good fortune or we keep it close by 2 scores because he let us.

Despite his hard ass demeanor Saban doesn’t like to run up scores so we either keep it close by virtue of good fortune or we keep it close by 2 scores because he let us.
If we can legit keep it within 2 scores then that’s a win in opinion. This is one of the best teams Saban has had in his time at Bama. Will Anderson, Bryce Young, and Dallas Turner are all potentially top 10 picks in next years draft.

Reactions: WRLHookem
That 2019 LSU game weighs in the back of my mind quite a bit. That was one of the greatest teams of the last 50 years and we had them on the ropes. They beat us by 7. You never know in college football. Now I don’t think we will beat Bama but we might be able to keep it close. That should be a good gauge for the rest of the season.
Texas did play well, but that LSU team began to gel and got better and better each game. That game wouldn't have been close at the end of the season. I always think the beginning of the year games could be close. I would look for Texas to play really hard. This is a super bowl for all teams to stack up against Bama. I wouldn't be shocked if Texas kept it within a couple of scores. The end of the season when they get all of their new 5 star toys rolling would probably be a different story.

BTW...just getting on this thread but why wouldn't Ewers start? Is he not having a good camp? I haven't followed that part.

Texas did play well, but that LSU team began to gel and got better and better each game. That game wouldn't have been close at the end of the season. I always think the beginning of the year games could be close. I would look for Texas to play really hard. This is a super bowl for all teams to stack up against Bama. I wouldn't be shocked if Texas kept it within a couple of scores. The end of the season when they get all of their new 5 star toys rolling would probably be a different story.

BTW...just getting on this thread but why wouldn't Ewers start? Is he not having a good camp? I haven't followed that part.
You don't know anything.

So you guys getting nervous too? Normal. OU plays Ga. in Norman next year. Will see how Brent V. does. So will be scoping out the Horns in Sept,. like when you played LSU and N. Dame. Have lots of talent, no doubt.

It seems that not playing in a real football game in over two years may be causing him to take a little longer to get back in the swing of things. Makes some really great plays and then follows it up with a bad play.

It sounds like one of the younger guys starting to flash is Ethan Burke. He gave Jones fits all night last night and even beat Banks a couple of times. I think we have a lot of potential with some of these younger edge players in Tapp, Finkley, Burke, and Brown.

I went to practice yesterday. I yelled out "Clob" several times but no answer.

Ill talk strictly about the QB's since that is the hottest topic right now.

The race is pretty much even if you ask me based on yesterdays vanilla practice.

Ewers:
Throws the deep ball effortlessly and accurately.
He performs well outside the pocket. (bootlegs)
struggling with the mid level reads. He doesn't pick up LB's dropping into coverage very well yet. (leading to INT's)
Will try and force passes rather than throw the ball away. (leading to INT's)

Card:
Seems to be throwing the deep ball with more accuracy.
Makes the right read more times than not.
Sark coaches him hard. He's constantly in his ear.
Uses his legs well when required. (He's deceptively fast)
Still struggles throwing the deep out route (leading to INT's)
Holds the ball way to long. (Leading to INT's or Sacks)

Last edited:
Honestly alot of these kids will be coming back for their senior season IF they arnt a first round. Now with NIL happening.

Texas was healthier at the beginning of the season, as was LSU. That, coupled with the freshness of a new year, makes them stronger, in my opinion. It's the teams that have more depth, less injuries and easier non conference games fitted in between tougher games, that survive and have a strong chance of victories.🤘

They had all their 5 star toys rolling when they played us. And I don’t think it was any different regardless of when we played them. One thing about Tom Herman’s teams is they hardly ever got blown out.

So you guys getting nervous too? Normal. OU plays Ga. in Norman next year. Will see how Brent V. does. So will be scoping out the Horns in Sept,. like when you played LSU and N. Dame. Have lots of talent, no doubt.
I hear Venables has him a Samoan Kenny Stabler that has really been spinning it?

Gabriel playing well. No decision on a back up QB yet. Most focus in on the defense.

I know this was vanilla but the DBs were playing pretty tight coverage. I didn't see them giving the receivers the standard 3 yard cushion to catch the ball like they did last year. That was the biggest positive I saw from that. The O line vs D line is zero sum. Card vs Ewers, will come down to who is a gamer.

I know this was vanilla but the DBs were playing pretty tight coverage. I didn't see them giving the receivers the standard 3 yard cushion to catch the ball like they did last year. That was the biggest positive I saw from that. The O line vs D line is zero sum. Card vs Ewers, will come down to who is a gamer.
All of this is going to carry over to gameplay. It's all going to come out in the wash.

I look for our secondary to improve this year. How much is still be TBD, but I feel like we have more talent there this year.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT