ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Fall Camp Part Deux

If the coaches cannot get Ewers ready to start this year then that is a Huge failure on their part. That should be their top priority of the offseason. What the hell have they been doing?

Reactions: DrHorn98
If the coaches cannot get Ewers ready to start this year then that is a Huge failure on their part. That should be their top priority of the offseason. What the hell have they been doing?
Smh---- one if these days the light bulb will come on and y'all will realize what the REAL problem at this school is......
(In fairness, some of you already know)

From the way I heard it this morning from listening to the Inside Texas report, it's no so much that the QBs were bad, but it's more to the fact that Sark has high standards for the QBs and they just aren't performing up to those standards.

Reactions: westx
So moving on. With Neyor out that leaves us with Worthy, Whittington, Omeir, Red, Thompson, Alexis, Hall ?, Milton, Cain.

With Sanders, Billingsly, and Bijan as receiving threats we still have some weapons to keep defenses guessing.
Billingsley needs to take Neyors position. That leaves us with Helm and Sanders at TE.

From the way I heard it this morning from listening to the Inside Texas report, it's no so much that the QBs were bad, but it's more to the fact that Sark has high standards for the QBs and they just aren't performing up to those standards.
We are going to have to dumb things down a bit. Like put the biggest dudes we have on the OL out there and plow forward. Too complicated at this point is going to get us murdered.

Last year playing complicated zone schemes in the back end while eploying the DL as blockers on defense was stupid. It got us murdered.

We are going to have to dumb things down a bit. Like put the biggest dudes we have on the OL out there and plow forward. Too complicated at this point is going to get us murdered.

Last year playing complicated zone schemes in the back end while eploying the DL as blockers on defense was stupid. It got us murdered.
I agree with that for sure. Find 15-20 plays you can master for now and run with it. You shouldn't need the whole playbook for La. Monroe, and if you do then you have bigger problems. It sounds like Sark's offense is really complex.

Whatever happens with injuries, it is on Sark’s shoulders. He gets no mulligan or excuses if the end record is bad. Every coach has to deal with injuries. Nonetheless, I am not throwing in the towel before the season even starts.

Reactions: freeper
Start praying for 6 wins.
It isn't that bad. You brought in a really talented offensive line class this year and it's time for them to earn their stripes. 5 of the 7 losses last season were by 8 points or less. All we have to do is somewhat improve on the defensive side of the ball and we should win 8 games.

Reactions: westx
It isn't that bad. You brought in a really talented offensive line class this year and it's time for them to earn their stripes. 5 of the 7 losses last season were by 8 points or less. All we have to do is somewhat improve on the defensive side of the ball and we should win 8 games.
My grandpa used to say
"Boy, wish in one hand and sh!t in the other and let me know which one fills up first. Ok?"

Our defense is Mas terrables.

My grandpa used to say
"Boy, wish in one hand and sh!t in the other and let me know which one fills up first. Ok?"

Our defense is Mas terrables.
All the reports from camp are saying the defense has been miles better than the offense. If we win less than 6 games this year then i'll be here to eat my crow at the end of the season. I just don't seen anything less than 7 wins though with the way the conference is this year.

Now I might come back here after the first 3 games and change my mind. But for right now I don't see anything worse than 7-5. If the defense takes a big step forward then 9 wins isn't out of the picture.

Smh---- one if these days the light bulb will come on and y'all will realize what the REAL problem at this school is......
(In fairness, some of you already know)
I get that the culture in Austin doesn't help things, but this guy is supposedly a generational talent and can be a number one draft pick one day. What else does it take for him to put in extra work? What is preventing them from being motivated on the football field? Too many distractions to work a little harder so you can make millions in the NFL I guess.

Some positive notes I got from the scrimmage:
Oline. Banks was really good. (no surprise) Cole Hutson was really good.
He plays angry and will start at right guard sooner than later. (if not game one)
Transfer LB from James Madison "Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey " was very good. Fast, hits hard and is a sure tackler. Best description is a Gary Johnson clone. He and Ford are the starting inside LB's with Overshown lining up all over the field.

I get that the culture in Austin doesn't help things, but this guy is supposedly a generational talent and can be a number one draft pick one day. What else does it take for him to put in extra work? What is preventing them from being motivated on the football field? Too many distractions to work a little harder so you can make millions in the NFL I guess.
It’s going to be interesting to see how NIL affects players with their focus on football. Ewers is a millionaire 19 year old and has all the attention in the world. He’s a bonafide celebrity. Imagine how many girls he’s been laying every week? With all those distractions that come with celebrity status, it takes a monumental amount of discipline to stay focused.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Some positive notes I got from the scrimmage:
Oline. Banks was really good. (no surprise) Cole Hutson was really good.
He plays angry and will start at right guard sooner than later. (if not game one)
Transfer LB from James Madison "Diamonte Tucker-Dorsey " was very good. Fast, hits hard and is a sure tackler. Best description is a Gary Johnson clone. He and Ford are the starting inside LB's with Overshown lining up all over the field.
When you've got a kid from James Madison that is playing well enough to start at LB for your blue blood power 5 team--- 9 times out of 10, it means you've got problems at LB.

When you've got a kid from James Madison that is playing well enough to start at LB for your blue blood power 5 team--- 9 times out of 10, it means you've got problems at LB.
There were multiple SEC schools that offered him a scholarship so it's not like we were the only school who wanted him. He was one of the highest coveted players in the portal this offseason. He's a bit undersized and probably a big reason he wasn't recruited highly, but he was an FCS All American last year. Small school doesn't automatically equate to bad player.

8-4 is the ceiling

IT Updates (gonna try to only put new things we haven’t seen):

• Majors will start at center, with Parr most likely being the backup.
  • Cain will get the first look as boundary receiver. What Sark decides to do with Whittington will determine who plays boundary receiver.
  • Hall’s suspension means that Brenen Thompson is seeing work behind Xavier Worthy.
  • It seemed like Sark wanted to name a starting QB this week, but given the performances by each of them on Saturday, this probably won’t be the case.
  • Press coverage seems to be the staple coverage of the defense.
  • Behind Bijan, it’s likely to be a duo of Keilan/Brooks, and maybe Blue will see time as well as he’s been pushing Brooks for practice carries.

Reactions: hookem777 and westx
IT Updates (gonna try to only put new things we haven’t seen):

• Majors will start at center, with Parr most likely being the backup.
  • Cain will get the first look as boundary receiver. What Sark decides to do with Whittington will determine who plays boundary receiver.
  • Hall’s suspension means that Brenen Thompson is seeing work behind Xavier Worthy.
  • It seemed like Sark wanted to name a starting QB this week, but given the performances by each of them on Saturday, this probably won’t be the case.
  • Press coverage seems to be the staple coverage of the defense.
  • Behind Bijan, it’s likely to be a duo of Keilan/Brooks, and maybe Blue will see time as well as he’s been pushing Brooks for practice carries.
I love to hear we are playing some press coverage. As a former receiver there was nothing more irritating than a DB walking up to the LOS and jamming me off the ball. It disrupts the timing of the QB as well.

Based off of what? They’re replacing almost all 22 starters from last year and have a new QB. I wouldn’t bank on that one.
That's not quite right. Most of their OL is returning. I think they have Ika, their DT that should be All Big 12 and they got a transfer from Tulsa, Jaxon Player, another DT that is very good. They have a very good LB coming back also so it's not like their cupboard is bare.

Reactions: hookem777
That's not quite right. Most of their OL is returning. I think they have Ika, their DT that should be All Big 12 and they got a transfer from Tulsa, Jaxon Player, another DT that is very good. They have a very good LB coming back also so it's not like their cupboard is bare.
You're correct, I was thinking of Iowa State. They only returned 8 starters. However Baylor did lose their QB, both RBs, and 3 starting receivers. Also lost their 2 safeties and a CB as well on defense. And those 2 safeties in Jalen Pitre and JT Woods were both really good. There's no reason last years team shouldn't have beat Baylor either. Casey missed a couple of throws late in the game that were the difference.

The returning starters from the top 3 teams last year are:

Baylor- 14 returning starters

Ok- 9 returning starters

Ok. St.- 12 returning starters

I still like our chances within the conference though.

However Baylor did lose their QB.
Hence the sky high expectations at BU this year. If you watched Bohannen any at all, but especially at the Sugar Bowl - he had zero passing ability. None. Awful. A great guy, leader of men, with no talent. Blake Shapen came in and lit it up, leading BU to the conference title. We lose a lot of talent on D, but we have all 5 starters back on the O-line and Shapen.

ADVERTISEMENT