ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Recruiting

4 OL in a day.

Our resident, ‘but the OL’ guy isn’t going to know what to post about.

Probably has a lot to do with going 0-3 against OU. People remember those games also more than they remember most other games.

29-6 as a starter is damn good though.
Cris Simms was emotionally fragile. Granted he had a lousy oc (Greg Davis remember him?) who did nothing to elevate his game. It was no secret that Mack promised Papa Phil he'd play as a freshman. He became the permanent starter halfway his sophomore season. The w/l record is misleading. Against the best teams we played Cris didn't get it done when it mattered most and that's putting it nicely.

Holiday Bowl 2000. The score was 35/28 Simms was not accurate with his throws but to be honest The receivers contributed to that 4 dropped passes in the end zone BJ Johnson dropped 3 of them. But the following year we were back in the HB this time against WA. With the exact same scenario Major Applewhite showed clearly that he, not Simms, was the leader. We came from behind 3x and this time late in the game BJ didn't drop the ball. It set up the winning td a couple of years later.

We've already talked about the CO game and the 2 OK games he started. But the Holiday bowls proved to me he didn't have what it takes to be an elite qb. People talk about that CO game. But if Major had started that OR game we would have won that game. On that team Major, not Cris was the leader.

Last edited:
I was always amazed watching Applewhite throw a long pass. It was so slow I thought it would fall from the sky, but it seemed to just keep going. Simms did throw a nice looking pass....

Not that I don't enjoy the Applewhite/simms debate, but can we keep thread to recruiting?

TFloss32

• TFloss32
    Grand Master
  • Administrators
  • Author
  • Administrators
Posted 17 minutes ago
19 minutes ago, TFloss32 said:
IT saying Texas is on commitment watch for "at least two" players at the moment.
Should go down today.

So I took at look at this on3 website to see what it’s all about. If you go to the Player Ranking page you’ll beside each player listed that they’ll have that player’s “NIL value” listed as a monetary figure. Chucklz. I figured this is where this crap would lead, it’s just like the draft where the No. 2 player wants money close to what the No. 1 player got. It’s pay to play LOL
https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/consensus-player/football/2023/

Reactions: weevilcatch
garrett gilbert thought he was walking into an offense that he was used to. when it came time for him to play, they had gone to an offense he wasn't accustomed to, and that the team wasn't personelled for. he took the heat because of the position, but he did well when he went to smu and actually played in a system more to his skillset.

So I took at look at this on3 website to see what it’s all about. If you go to the Player Ranking page you’ll beside each player listed that they’ll have that player’s “NIL value” listed as a monetary figure. Chucklz. I figured this is where this crap would lead, it’s just like the draft where the No. 2 player wants money close to what the No. 1 player got. It’s pay to play LOL
https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/consensus-player/football/2023/
Do you think dudes weren’t getting money before? You just feel better not knowing about it? Like some of you keep beating this horse like it wasn’t happening for the last 75 years

Do you think dudes weren’t getting money before? You just feel better not knowing about it? Like some of you keep beating this horse like it wasn’t happening for the last 75 years
Not this kind of money no they weren’t. And now it’s the whole team

Reactions: oldhorn2
Not this kind of money no they weren’t. And now it’s the whole team
First off you don’t know how much guys were and weren’t getting before, and a lot of the numbers getting thrown around today end up being complete BS

second it isn’t the whole team. Not by a long shot.

First off you don’t know how much guys were and weren’t getting before, and a lot of the numbers getting thrown around today end up being complete BS

And you do? Was it this much? If you don’t think it’s different with NIL I don’t know what to tell you. I guess you think A&M got their great recruiting class for free too huh?

“On Friday, a five-star recruit in the Class of 2023 signed an agreement with a school’s NIL collective that could pay him more than $8 million by the end of his junior year of college, The Athletic has learned. He’ll be paid $350,000 almost immediately, followed by monthly payouts escalating to more than $2 million per year once he begins his college career, in exchange for making public appearances and taking part in social media promotions and other NIL activities “on behalf of (the collective) or a third party.”
Lolhttps://theathletic.com/3178558/202...ctive-that-could-pay-him-more-than-8-million/

$8 million for a college recruit? Yeah a little ridiculous
Like I said a lot of these numbers that get floated out to the media of on Twitter ends up being complete nonsense. It was being reported that the Pitt WR got 3 million to go to USC. Turns out after he signed it now sounds like it was barely. Million maybe less. I seriously doubt, Quinn, or Arch or any QB will come close to 8 million. If Arch does it will be solely on family name and not something someone could replicate.

Reactions: DrHorn98

Heh heh whoo! Today? We are talkin about today right? 😁

Heh heh whoo! Today? We are talkin about today right? 😁
Yes a lot of the numbers that get thrown out toddy end up being complete BS. When he entered the portal Addison was supposedly going to get 3 million from USC. When he committed the report was the real number was barely a million. Now that’s still a lot of money, but my point is don’t believe everything you see on Twitter. Most of it is BS

I know it’s only June but this may end up being a top recruiting class by the time signing day comes around. All the piece are falling in place after Arch committed. This moves us up to 3rd now.

I know it’s only June but this may end up being a top recruiting class by the time signing day comes around. All the piece are falling in place after Arch committed. This moves us up to 3rd now.
The Williams commitment moves Texas up to 3 right now. Obviously long way to go but Sark bringing in another top 5 class is not out of the question

Not a great sign for Brian Kelly that Texas pulled out the #2 and #3 kids in LA and LSU wasn’t really a factor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT