ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Recruiting

With the Johntay Cook commitment that moves us up to #2 in the rankings per 247. On Rivals they have us at #1. This is starting to remind me a lot of Mack's 2002 class.
At this point, the main thing to pay attention to is not so much the class ranking but the average / recruit. I travel around the different CF boards and teams like OSU and Alabama are still in on a ton of big-time recruits just like Texas and OSU has a 94.12 average 0n the Composite and a whopping 4.07 on Rivals. Some teams - at this point - have less commits than others. Another school to keep an eye on is USC

Next thing you know they're gonna start offering keys to city eg. Austin and College station. 😂
Well OU would, but keys to Norman look like this...

8ca655c8-2f32-499b-ad20-c325f230739c_1.4acd9eeb12a3bbc4b0624d7eb1cf2821.jpeg

At this point, the main thing to pay attention to is not so much the class ranking but the average / recruit. I travel around the different CF boards and teams like OSU and Alabama are still in on a ton of big-time recruits just like Texas and OSU has a 94.12 average 0n the Composite and a whopping 4.07 on Rivals. Some teams - at this point - have less commits than others. Another school to keep an eye on is USC
We finished 5th last year with a 91.12 average. This year we are a little higher at 91.53 per 247 sports. If we pull in another 1 to 2 5 stars (Hill and Baxter) that's easily going to be a top 3 class for next year and you're probably looking at an average of around 93.

How many can we take this class? Anyone know?
Not sure of the exact number but they have made an exception for this year and next for scholarship limits. Here's an article that somewhat explains it.

We finished 5th last year with a 91.12 average. This year we are a little higher at 91.53 per 247 sports. If we pull in another 1 to 2 5 stars (Hill and Baxter) that's easily going to be a top 3 class for next year and you're probably looking at an average of around 93.
Texas will be battling Alabama and OSU for the no. 1 class if they can finish with an average around 93 to 94. Georgia could also be in the conversion as they're in the mix for a ton of blue chip recruits just like Texas, Alabama, and OSU

From a poster on Hornsports, commits and projected/hopeful:

QB - Arch Manning 5*
RB - Cedric Baxter - Proj 4*
RB - Tre Wisner 4*
WR - Johntay Cook II 5*
WR - Jalen Hale. Or MHP- Proj 4*
WR - Ryan Niblett 4*
WR - Jonah Wilson 4*
TE - Will Randle 3*
TE - Spencer Shannon 3*
OL - Jaydon Chatman 4*
OL - Connor Stroh 3*
OL - Trevor Goosby 3*
OL - Andre Cojoe 3*
DL - David Hicks - Proj/Hopeful 5*
DL - Sydir Mitchell - Proj 4*
DE/DL - B. Shelby or C. Vasek- Proj 4*
DE - Dylan Spencer 4*
DE - Billy Walton 3*
DE/LB - Derion Guilete - Proj 4*
LB - Anthony Hill - Proj/Hopeful 5*
LB - S'Maje Burrell 4*
LB - Liona Lefau 4*
CB - Javion Toviano - Proj/Hopeful 5*
CB - Malik Muhammad - Proj 4*
CB - Jordan Mathews - Proj 4*
S - Derek Williams 5*
S - Jamel Johnson 4*

1 more for OL or S Caleb Downs

6 5*, 15 4* and 6 3*

With Downs 7 5*, 15 4* and 6 3*

Any other commitments supposed to happen this weekend or soon? We’ve been spoiled by all of those commitments last week lol.

I think Jordan Matthews is next to drop, just don’t know when. Mohamed, Hicks and Hill soon after. Baxter pushed his date to Aug 10th. May get some others after July bbq weekend.

Sydir Mitchel is probably headed to Texas as of tomorrow. That's a pretty good get.

I would be shocked if Hicks ended up at Texas, but these days meh, who knows. Hill I would have been shocked about a month ago, but I have a couple of inside connections on that one. Texas has gained a lot of momentum. A month ago I would have said 80-20 chance for the Ags. I would lean more towards 60-40 now. A&M gets the last official before he commits so hoping for the best there. I was happy Mohamed pushed it back a bit to after the A&M pool party to give it one more shot, but that one seemed like Texas momentum as well. We will see. Sometimes these kids react...then pause and go back to other places and remember how much they liked those places. Momentum is a powerful thing in recruiting and you certainly have it much like A&M did last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: weevilcatch
Sydir Mitchel is probably headed to Texas as of tomorrow. That's a pretty good get.

I would be shocked if Hicks ended up at Texas, but these days meh, who knows. Hill I would have been shocked about a month ago, but I have a couple of inside connections on that one. Texas has gained a lot of momentum. A month ago I would have said 80-20 chance for the Ags. I would lean more towards 60-40 now. A&M gets the last official before he commits so hoping for the best there. I was happy Mohamed pushed it back a bit to after the A&M pool party to give it one more shot, but that one seemed like Texas momentum as well. We will see. Sometimes these kids react...then pause and go back to other places and remember how much they liked those places. Momentum is a powerful thing in recruiting and you certainly have it much like A&M did last year.
I just saw that Mitchell is 6’6” 345 pounds and is only 16 years old. Good gosh!!!

I just saw that Mitchell is 6’6” 345 pounds and is only 16 years old. Good gosh!!!
Pretty sure a couple of the massive OL guys that just committed are only 16 as well. In fact, one of them is still 15! Just can’t remember which ones right now.

From a poster on Hornsports, commits and projected/hopeful:

QB - Arch Manning 5*
RB - Cedric Baxter - Proj 4*
RB - Tre Wisner 4*
WR - Johntay Cook II 5*
WR - Jalen Hale. Or MHP- Proj 4*
WR - Ryan Niblett 4*
WR - Jonah Wilson 4*
TE - Will Randle 3*
TE - Spencer Shannon 3*
OL - Jaydon Chatman 4*
OL - Connor Stroh 3*
OL - Trevor Goosby 3*
OL - Andre Cojoe 3*
DL - David Hicks - Proj/Hopeful 5*
DL - Sydir Mitchell - Proj 4*
DE/DL - B. Shelby or C. Vasek- Proj 4*
DE - Dylan Spencer 4*
DE - Billy Walton 3*
DE/LB - Derion Guilete - Proj 4*
LB - Anthony Hill - Proj/Hopeful 5*
LB - S'Maje Burrell 4*
LB - Liona Lefau 4*
CB - Javion Toviano - Proj/Hopeful 5*
CB - Malik Muhammad - Proj 4*
CB - Jordan Mathews - Proj 4*
S - Derek Williams 5*
S - Jamel Johnson 4*

1 more for OL or S Caleb Downs

6 5*, 15 4* and 6 3*

With Downs 7 5*, 15 4* and 6 3*
Texas really needs a good season to close the deal. 7 wins will be ugly and 8 wins is the bare minimum. I believe 9 wins with no clock cleaning losses will close the deal and perhaps even strengthen Texas’s position.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Meh, nothing is a lock these days, but it seems like all things are pointing that direction

ADVERTISEMENT