ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Recruiting

Even with the 5-7 year the Aggies only have 4 more wins than Texas in the last 5 years.
And Texas averaged 17 more yards a game through the air last year under...the genius...in the Big 12 where defense is optional...with Zac Calzada leading the way for A&M.

And Texas averaged 17 more yards a game through the air last year under...the genius...in the Big 12 where defense is optional...with Zac Calzada leading the way for A&M.
Xaiver Worthy was a Freshman All American. Neither one of those QBs were recruited by Sark. He has his guy now in Ewers. I would put my money on this offense being a top 10-15 offense this year with the amount of playmakers they have on offense.

The Big 12 had the same amount of teams in the top 25 of total defense as the SEC, 3 teams. The narrative that the Big 12 doesn't play defense is an old worn out and false narrative.

The SEC defenses aren't any better at stopping spread offenses than any other conferences are. They get shredded too.
I agree ALL defenses are going to struggle with a good spread offense, but on average they have always held those teams to less than their scoring average and held them to less yards just because they do get more stops. But, a good spread can get most defenses.

Xaiver Worthy was a Freshman All American. Neither one of those QBs were recruited by Sark. He has his guy now in Ewers. I would put my money on this offense being a top 10-15 offense this year with the amount of playmakers they have on offense.

The Big 12 had the same amount of teams in the top 25 of total defense as the SEC, 3 teams. The narrative that the Big 12 doesn't play defense is an old worn out and false narrative.
Jimbo has not had his quarterback running the offense yet either. Mond and Calzada were Sumlin's guys.

7 of the top 30 offenses belonged to SEC offenses while only OU was in the top 30. So, we could say either the defenses are that good in the SEC which I don't believe or the offenses in the SEC are better than Big 12 offenses. It could spin either way and we both may be right depending on how you want to slice it. 5 of the top 30 scoring defenses were in the SEC while 4 were from the Big 12...smaller conference so yes higher percentage, but again 7 of the top 30 offenses were from the SEC so there is that. I think once you move to the SEC you will see the week in and week out difference. I mean this in a nice way, but you guys are going to have a blast with the different environments. It's different. 5 of the top 9 "most intimidating stadiums" usually belong to the SEC, so you have some great road trips ahead of you. I promise DKR will be louder than it has ever been because that brand of football just creates more excitement.

Honestly, this class you are putting together and the one we did last year is going to be fun to watch go at it in a couple of years.

Last edited:
agscoopf, regarding this coming season, a&m obviously had one of the best recruiting classes ever. They're obviously young and should take a couple of years to jell. That said, what is your expectation as far as wins and losses this season? To me, the QB position is the weakest link on the team. Between King, Johnson and Weigman, who steps up? Are any of them good enough to help a&m win the SEC west? I don't see it. Looking at the schedule, I see a minimum of three losses for the ags this year, and it could be four. Weigman is the best of the lot, but you never want to count on a true freshman to lead your team.

agscoopf, regarding this coming season, a&m obviously had one of the best recruiting classes ever. They're obviously young and should take a couple of years to jell. That said, what is your expectation as far as wins and losses this season? To me, the QB position is the weakest link on the team. Between King, Johnson and Weigman, who steps up? Are any of them good enough to help a&m win the SEC west? I don't see it. Looking at the schedule, I see a minimum of three losses for the ags this year, and it could be four. Weigman is the best of the lot, but you never want to count on a true freshman to lead your team.
But but best recruiting class ever!! Jimbo has a natty lol!!

This year feels like a put up our shut up year for Jimbo. It’s his 5th year at aggie, he has yet to win ten games or sniff a division/conference title during his aggie tenure. It still feels like aggie is a year away from contending which is their motto lol: watch out for next year!!

How long does aggie give Jimbo before they realize he’s an elite recruiter but a slightly above average coach. Herman accomplished more in 1 year at Texas than Jimbo in 4 years at aggie. Tom freaking Herman!!

But but best recruiting class ever!! Jimbo has a natty lol!!

This year feels like a put up our shut up year for Jimbo. It’s his 5th year at aggie, he has yet to win ten games or sniff a division/conference title during his aggie tenure. It still feels like aggie is a year away from contending which is their motto lol: watch out for next year!!

How long does aggie give Jimbo before they realize he’s an elite recruiter but a slightly above average coach. Herman accomplished more in 1 year at Texas than Jimbo in 4 years at aggie. Tom freaking Herman!!
Aggy beat Bama last year, that bought Jimbo 5 more years of mediocrity regardless.

Jimbo has not had his quarterback running the offense yet either. Mond and Calzada were Sumlin's guys.

7 of the top 30 offenses belonged to SEC offenses while only OU was in the top 30. So, we could say either the defenses are that good in the SEC which I don't believe or the offenses in the SEC are better than Big 12 offenses. It could spin either way and we both may be right depending on how you want to slice it. 5 of the top 30 scoring defenses were in the SEC while 4 were from the Big 12...smaller conference so yes higher percentage, but again 7 of the top 30 offenses were from the SEC so there is that. I think once you move to the SEC you will see the week in and week out difference. I mean this in a nice way, but you guys are going to have a blast with the different environments. It's different. 5 of the top 9 "most intimidating stadiums" usually belong to the SEC, so you have some great road trips ahead of you. I promise DKR will be louder than it has ever been because that brand of football just creates more excitement.

Honestly, this class you are putting together and the one we did last year is going to be fun to watch go at it in a couple of years.
I can agree everything you said except that Jimbo hasn't had his quarterback. It's his fifth year, they are all his quarterbacks by that time. If he decided to keep them on the team then he made them his.

Actually, Calzada is one of jimbos guys. I believe that was Jimbos first class at aggie. Also, don’t forget King is also one of Jimbos guys, the same King who threw 3 INT’s in his first game against Kent State, and got knocked out of the game by a crappy Colorado team. King looked like crap in both games he played.

If Max Johnson starts and does terribly, are you going to blame it on him not being one of Jimbos guys too lol? That’s such a weak argument, Johnny football was one of Sherman’s guys but excelled under Sumlin. Who cares who recruited the qb, as long as he plays well.

Jimbo has been there for 4 years now. How can you say he doesn't have his QB? I realize Mond was there but the fact he didn't recruit a QB that could challenge Mond speaks volumes right there. He's just not that good at evaluating QBs. His track record will tell you that.

I can agree everything you said except that Jimbo hasn't had his quarterback. It's his fifth year, they are all his quarterbacks by that time. If he decided to keep them on the team then he made them his.
Calzada and King were both Jimbo QB’s and they both suck lol.

Reactions: Belldozer1
All I know is that Weigman better be a hit for Aggie or they could be in some trouble. All those 5 star recruits they got last year are nice, but without a really good QB it's hard to compete for national championships. It looks like all but 2 QBs they offered for the 23 class have already committed.

Reactions: LonghornMM
All I know is that Weigman better be a hit for Aggie or they could be in some trouble. All those 5 star recruits they got last year are nice, but without a really good QB it's hard to compete for national championships. It looks like all but 2 QBs they offered for the 23 class have already committed.
Doesnt sound like Weigman will be the starter. For whatever reason, Jimbo has a hard on for King. Johnson or King will likely start. I could see Weigman transferring.

King and Johnson both suck. aggy may be forced to play Weigman at some point this year.
Not sure which scenario I’m hoping for more: Weigman starts and plays like dog crap, forcing Jimbo to bench him. Or King starts and plays like dog crap, forcing him to go to Weigman who also sucks lol.

King has never impressed me, but everything that I have seen of Weigman is that he is pretty good (high school and camp footage), I hope Jimbo's offense bogs him down.

I'm with you on the QB situation. King is a guy I think has a ceiling of 10 wins. I just don't know enough about him and there are things about him that scare me. Johnson seems like a game manager and a smart kid that could do pretty good running the offense, but again 10 wins would be the ceiling. Weigman is my favorite of the 3 and the one I could see competing for the SEC, but he probably won't be ready, so I'm with you there on QB and that is the wildcard.

I LOVE Achane and if given the ball enough that dude can get out and go, but will we give him the ball enough??- If he can get his touches then I like our chances.

Defensively we should have a lot of talent and I like a few of our freshmen to get lots of time. I think Walter Nolan will be special along with Shemar Turner, but again...freshmen.

Realistically I expect to lose at Alabama and then trip up a game on the road that we shouldn't to someone like Miss St or at home to Ole Miss. Those damn Miss schools we can't seem to beat for whatever reason. Arky is another one that is a toss up to me. SO, I'll go 10-2 or 9-3 and I honestly would hope Weigman would get the keys and lets let him learn now.

How about your REALISTIC goals for Texas??

Actually, Calzada is one of jimbos guys. I believe that was Jimbos first class at aggie. Also, don’t forget King is also one of Jimbos guys, the same King who threw 3 INT’s in his first game against Kent State, and got knocked out of the game by a crappy Colorado team. King looked like crap in both games he played.

If Max Johnson starts and does terribly, are you going to blame it on him not being one of Jimbos guys too lol? That’s such a weak argument, Johnny football was one of Sherman’s guys but excelled under Sumlin. Who cares who recruited the qb, as long as he plays well.

I know King is his guy but a game and a quarter aren't really that much to see. He had some bad moments and great moments in that first game. You kind of expect that in a first game. I'm not saying King is great...he may not be, but I can't make a judgement on 1 game.

I'm with you on the QB situation. King is a guy I think has a ceiling of 10 wins. I just don't know enough about him and there are things about him that scare me. Johnson seems like a game manager and a smart kid that could do pretty good running the offense, but again 10 wins would be the ceiling. Weigman is my favorite of the 3 and the one I could see competing for the SEC, but he probably won't be ready, so I'm with you there on QB and that is the wildcard.

I LOVE Achane and if given the ball enough that dude can get out and go, but will we give him the ball enough??- If he can get his touches then I like our chances.

Defensively we should have a lot of talent and I like a few of our freshmen to get lots of time. I think Walter Nolan will be special along with Shemar Turner, but again...freshmen.

Realistically I expect to lose at Alabama and then trip up a game on the road that we shouldn't to someone like Miss St or at home to Ole Miss. Those damn Miss schools we can't seem to beat for whatever reason. Arky is another one that is a toss up to me. SO, I'll go 10-2 or 9-3 and I honestly would hope Weigman would get the keys and lets let him learn now.

How about your REALISTIC goals for Texas??
I honestly have no idea what to expect from Texas this year. We have the talent to be good but we always have that. For some reason we can't seem to put it together. I'll be optimistic and say 8-4 regular season.

King has never impressed me, but everything that I have seen of Weigman is that he is pretty good (high school and camp footage), I hope Jimbo's offense bogs him down.
Apparently he’s not good enough to start day 1 for Jimbo lol. I think Jimbo redshirts him.

I just have one question. The aggy trophy case?

pulp-fiction-john-travolta.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT