This Just Got Real

"This is a very dirty place that we've seen has been very conniving and low down. It's hard to fathom because not only is this a university, but it's a Christian university."

Let them croots go BU...Papa Brile' ain't comin' back no moe.
So we can all agree that Chip got this one wrong - there was no vote on Briles, nor will there be one - right?

FWIW - my sources (and I would call them friends of friends of friends of BOR, so quadruple hearsay) say the buyout negotiation is under way. BU offered $5 million, and Briles countered at $40 million (the full contract amount left). As ugly as this has been, it may be about to get worse.

So we can all agree that Chip got this one wrong - there was no vote on Briles, nor will there be one - right?

FWIW - my sources (and I would call them friends of friends of friends of BOR, so quadruple hearsay) say the buyout negotiation is under way. BU offered $5 million, and Briles countered at $40 million (the full contract amount left). As ugly as this has been, it may be about to get worse.
Sounds like he will get around 20 million. I got nothing on the vote other than feelers on public perception. We can agree that they have played that card in this process on several occasions or so it seems.

Sounds like he will get around 20 million. I got nothing on the vote other than feelers on public perception. We can agree that they have played that card in this process on several occasions or so it seems.
Seriously - if Briles has done half of what he is accused of, why pay him a freaking dime? At the end of the day, this debacle will cost BU tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars - between his buyout, the lost revenue from football and other sports, the very real probability that we will be left out of the next realignment, drop in donors/donations, the settlement claims for the victims, not to mention the stain on the Baylor image (on which there is no price tag) - why are they even talking to him? The BOR has already proclaimed him a scumbag by "suspending" him with "intent to terminate" - finish the humiliation and pay him nothing. If the report is "toxic" and "horrific" as the BOR proclaims, then Briles would never go to court. This is pretty black and white.

Surely there's a moral turpitude clause in his contract. He should be fired for cause. But maybe he has a good agent and/or maybe he's holding the university hostage on spilling more beans.

Apparently Hudson may be leaning back towards Baylor? I don't know if the Briles could be back ploy worked, or Grobe has him convinced.

Seriously - if Briles has done half of what he is accused of, why pay him a freaking dime? At the end of the day, this debacle will cost BU tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars - between his buyout, the lost revenue from football and other sports, the very real probability that we will be left out of the next realignment, drop in donors/donations, the settlement claims for the victims, not to mention the stain on the Baylor image (on which there is no price tag) - why are they even talking to him? The BOR has already proclaimed him a scumbag by "suspending" him with "intent to terminate" - finish the humiliation and pay him nothing. If the report is "toxic" and "horrific" as the BOR proclaims, then Briles would never go to court. This is pretty black and white.
Simple - the report is more damaging than paying Briles. The have remained steadfast on their stance when it comes to the full report. The crazy line as of late is telling the current president to remain silent. WTF is that all about.

Surely there's a moral turpitude clause in his contract. He should be fired for cause. But maybe he has a good agent and/or maybe he's holding the university hostage on spilling more beans.

Baylor doesn't want that evidence getting out though. If Briles were to take them to court over his buyout, I doubt telling the judge that it was an oral report is going to give them much of a chance.

The pirate did not get a dime for putting a kid in a closet....Briles will get 20 mil for knowingly letting rapist on his team....Wow...just Wow...

Reactions: diadevic
following is a quote from Eric Cuffy's father
But no matter how engaging, those are just words. Cuffee Sr. said it’s Strong’s willingness to enforce those principals in the face of pressure – Strong dismissed nine players his first year for rules violations – that convinced him.

“When you can put the win/loss record on the back burner and find players who not only can contribute, but are good people off the field. When you sacrifice your win/loss record for that, it says a lot,” Cuffee Sr. said.

Baylor doesn't want that evidence getting out though. If Briles were to take them to court over his buyout, I doubt telling the judge that it was an oral report is going to give them much of a chance.
Which is what has the BU faithful up in arms. Was the report so bad that he had to go? If so, grow a pair and stand behind your decision - release the report, or whatever you were told in the oral presentation. If its bad enough to fire the man that gave us sooooo much, then it must be really bad. He won't want that out there, and if he does, then so be it. This would serve as a salve for the victims and families (although obviously you could never do enough for them) that we are serious about this. And whatever public perception that can be salvaged - this would get the ball rolling that BU is serious.

I don't know why Baylor exposes themselves over these 16 recruits. I realize that the guys in question are the cream of their class, but they have much bigger fish to fry. They've got to get so much else corrected before any of these players are going to come into the equation for being a successful program.

Agreed.

Thing is, they aren't even admitting to themselves how bad the rape situation is. They are all about damage control. Not about fixing it correctly.

Would you please send this to our Board of Regents?

I'm with everyone on this.

The guy essentially created this mess with his philosophy. Contributed to it with recruiting more than a few known questionable guys. And then added to it by doing nothing and even covering it up.

And he is getting paid millions to go away.

They need to work on the language of their contracts. And they might be better served spending half as much by tying him up in courts. One would think this is a 'fired with just cause' type of deal. Especially in the state of Texas which is an 'at will' employer state. Guess it is a little different for private schools.

One would think this is a 'fired with just cause' type of deal. Especially in the state of Texas which is an 'at will' employer state. Guess it is a little different for private schools.

The at-will employment doctrine doesn't apply to a contract employee like Briles. It's just a default rule -- a presumption -- that can be modified by contract.

At-will employment doctrine doesn't apply to a contract employee like Briles.

Good to know. I figured as much. I do know though that work contracts are difficult to uphold in this state, though.

If I was BU, I wouldn't want to drag this thing on for years in courts. Unless if it means paying the guy $20 mil. He should get zero. ZERO. Just go away and do some charity work listening to rape victims stories for 40 hours a week for one year.

The one Baylor quote of that LHN ESPN thread got me. Dude says "when did we become bible aggy?"

Hilarious!

And I just figured out what the MOB should do when rice and baylor play---- the MOB should all play their first song with no instruments, only rape whistles.

Pretty sure the Baylor fans would start committing Hari Kari at that point.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Kindly baylor.....now word comes out that the coaching staff is telling the 2016 LOI "victims" that they will "lose everything" if they dont honor their LOI....Word is that it is working with Hudson.

Seriously - if Briles has done half of what he is accused of, why pay him a freaking dime?
If what has been reported is just the tip of the iceberg and if he doesnt get his money, he might drop a dime to the NCAA or the justice department, or become a hostile witness in lawsuits with victims, would be some possible reasons to seek a 'friendly' settlement.

Hook 'em

Kindly baylor.....now word comes out that the coaching staff is telling the 2016 LOI "victims" that they will "lose everything" if they dont honor their LOI....Word is that it is working with Hudson.
As soon as one gets their release, the house of cards will collapse. There's enough hard cases (or hard case parents) that this will go to NCAA and I'm guessing that they will receive a full release shortly thereafter.

I look forward to seeing Hudson in a longhorn uni anchoring the line for the next couple years.

Hook 'em

Look, Baylor is over a barrel with Briles UNLESS-- the NCAA comes in and issues a ruling of "lack of institutional control". At that point, by my estimates, Baylor would then have CAUSE to fire Briles and void the contract. BUT, that would leave Baylor wide open for NCAA sanctions as well as giving every lawyer who's already filed suit against Baylor a leg up in the court of public opinion as well as a leg up in COURT.

If Baylor settles with Briles and then the NCAA comes in and says "there no real way for us to PROVE that Art really knew anything other than innuendo or rumor" then Baylor is out that money they paid Briles and now it's on to the victims to see how that pans out.

There was a line from a movie a while back where the actor goes "it's lose, lose either way. Do you want to lose big, or lose little". Pretty sure that describes Baylor right now with the exception of, "do you want to lose big, OR do you want to lose colossal big?".

If what has been reported is just the tip of the iceberg and if he doesnt get his money, he might drop a dime to the NCAA or the justice department, or become a hostile witness in lawsuits with victims, would be some possible reasons to seek a 'friendly' settlement.

Hook 'em
Well - if its due to Briles's actions, then screw him. If its due to BOR actions, then screw them. All I hear, read and see is that we need transparency. Let it all out and let the chips fall where they may. If we have to file bankruptcy due to action or inaction of BOR, our freaking leaders entrusted with guiding the university, then we don't deserve a university.

Well - if its due to Briles's actions, then screw him. If its due to BOR actions, then screw them. All I hear, read and see is that we need transparency. Let it all out and let the chips fall where they may.
I agree that this is best, otherwise this just continues to drip out month by month, as the university reputation continues to sink.

Fire Briles 'for cause' and pay him nothing, and let the entire BOR resign pending an immediate new election in which none of them are eligible to run, while keeping a dozen on as non-voting transition regents for six months.

A clean house and a teardown to the foundation is quickest and surest way forward.

Hook 'em

Reactions: LonghornSoldier
I agree that this is best, otherwise this just continues to drip out month by month, as the university reputation continues to sink.

Fire Briles 'for cause' and pay him nothing, and let the entire BOR resign pending an immediate new election in which none of them are eligible to run, while keeping a dozen on as non-voting transition regents for six months.

A clean house and a teardown to the foundation is quickest and surest way forward.

Hook 'em
Please email this to our leadership. Wait, we don't have any.

Briles has filed legal action against Baylor

The motion also requests an order that requires Welch and Brown to produce “all statements, text messages, emails, oral or video recordings, interview notes, and any information of any kind obtained in the representation of Art Briles.”

“We want what’s in their files not because they have information that Briles did anything wrong”, Cannon told KWTX Thursday. “Quite the opposite. We think it will be helpful to Briles as he did nothing wrong.”
http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Briles-cries-foul-383290841.html