ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer

If the kind of success that Mack had before VY is what you want, then there are many many coaches who can take us there....
Compared to where Texas had been prior to Mack’s arrival the success he brought pre VY and Colt was a significant improvement. I mean Mackovic had went 8-5 and 4-7 his last two years. So Mack coming in winning 9 games 3 years in a row and then back to back 11 win seasons was a significant improvement based off of where they were.

Compared to where Texas had been prior to Mack’s arrival the success he brought pre VY and Colt was a significant improvement. I mean Mackovic had went 8-5 and 4-7 his last two years. So Mack coming in winning 9 games 3 years in a row and then back to back 11 win seasons was a significant improvement based off of where they were.

Yeah, I don't remember too many folks getting on the firemackbrown nonsense until 2003. Another complete ass whipping at the hands of OU and Stoops, coupled with another Holiday Bowl appearance and loss, the people were not happy. Also, if I remember correctly, people were super pissed when Mack took that penalty instead of forcing a 4th and long because he wanted even better field position. Well Matt Jones did his thing and momentum was lost. Losing to Arkie 2x ('00 Cotton), and then OU for the 4th straight time had Mack's seat steaming.

Reactions: westx
Herman needs time to get "his players" even though Strong said on the way out the door that he was leaving the cupboard fully stocked for the next coach.

Agree I'm just trying to get him to stay. Herman is probably a better coordinator than a HC? Hard to say but it seems like he did better at a smaller school where he could surprise some teams like Oklahoma et al once a year but Texas has kept the loses close so it's not like yall are getting blown out, so who knows

Agree I'm just trying to get him to stay. Herman is probably a better coordinator than a HC? Hard to say but it seems like he did better at a smaller school where he could surprise some teams like Oklahoma et al once a year but Texas has kept the loses close so it's not like yall are getting blown out, so who knows
i think Herman got too much too soon. He was pretty much out of Houston after that 2nd season and everyone knew it before the season started. So he had one season really has a HC, and just wasn’t ready or mature enough to handle the challenge of bigger job. I think if he had 3-4 years under his belt before coming to Texas I think he would of faired much better. There are a lot of guys I would put in that category though. Some guys get out on a fast track and they just aren’t ready for it.

Reactions: Belldozer1

i think Herman got too much too soon. He was pretty much out of Houston after that 2nd season and everyone knew it before the season started. So he had one season really has a HC, and just wasn’t ready or mature enough to handle the challenge of bigger job. I think if he had 3-4 years under his belt before coming to Texas I think he would of faired much better. There are a lot of guys I would put in that category though. Some guys get out on a fast track and they just aren’t ready for it.
And the days of incentive laden contracts are a thing of the past. You go from a small school to 5 million plus a year. Dang, that's 90% of the motivating factor to win games if you aren't named Nick Saban

Super k from tfb is reporting that while Herman still has a chance to turn the season around there has been back channel contact between BMD's and Meyer.

Tommy is not going 8-2, getting into the b12 champuonship, and then winning it. No way.

And the days of incentive laden contracts are a thing of the past. You go from a small school to 5 million plus a year. Dang, that's 90% of the motivating factor to win games if you aren't named Nick Saban
Actually it’s not a motivator to win. You get 5 million per for 4-5 seasons. If you win they are going to give you more money. If you don’t win they can you and you still get 20-25 million

Reactions: westx
Actually it’s not a motivator to win. You get 5 million per for 4-5 seasons. If you win they are going to give you more money. If you don’t win they can you and you still get 20-25 million
What I mean is it should be a motivator, carrot on a stick but hell no, here's 5 million a year, hope you don't get fat, lazy and happy, usually they do. They lose that burning desire to overachieve

It's really not a good business model but it's great for the coaches. Corporate america does the same thing for execs. When the junk bond market is regulated again, much of this will go away.

Herman needs time to get "his players" even though Strong said on the way out the door that he was leaving the cupboard fully stocked for the next coach.
The only thing that comes to mind upon Charlie Strong's exit:

giphy.gif

Reactions: UT413 and clob94
Year 4.......that’s plenty of time. The issue is that he has shown no ability to develop or coach those players.
Yep. His high point at Texas is likely to be with the players Charlie left him. I mean look at that sugar bowl team. The main contributors were jr’s and SR’s. Since those guys left it’s been pretty much all down hill. And now that Herman’s first full class is Jr’s.... you aren’t seeing a whole heck of a lot in terms of talent.

I don't think Meyers comes to Texas, too much BS in the air saying he does, or someone would have a link or proof instead of 2300's and Sir LonestarBoats info he gives, I heard on 25/7 that I had won a new boat motor.....ya'll just getting ya weiner hard for nothing...LOL When they announce that hes taken the deal then will I believe...

Last edited:
I don't think Meyers comes to Texas, too much BS in the air saying he does, or someone would have a link or proof instead of 2300's and Sir LonestarBoats info he gives, I heard on 25/7 that I had won a new boat motor.....ya'll just getting ya weiner hard for nothing...LOL When they announce that hes taken the deal then will I believe...

I hear ya billy bob. There is a chance so let's not be negative. I will be negative if we keep hermie or hire some other unproven douche bag. Ticket sales will collapse if we have a loser at the helm then it will be CDC's turn on the steaming bidet.

Reactions: StrangerHorn

It's almost as if someone on here, four years or so ago, was saying the same thing to anyone that would listen.

Hmmmm............ I wonder who tha......... Oh wait---

I get all your points about TH, but Mack Brown, retrospect, had a damn good run. His presence was felt immediately, and continued for 10 yrs.

It's almost as if someone on here, four years or so ago, was saying the same thing to anyone that would listen.

Hmmmm............ I wonder who tha......... Oh wait---
You were. I was 100% with you.

it happens to a lot of guys. Lame Kiffin I would put in that category. Kliff Kingsbury another one. I don’t think they were or are bad coaches might actually be good. They just got jobs they weren’t ready for.

Yeah, not even remotely getting my hopes up this time around. This program seems fated to mostly step on its own d*ck for the rest of eternity. After this season, we’ll have all of one NC over the last half-century. Pretty much says it all.

I’ll believe Meyer is coming to Texas when I see him standing on the (west) sideline with a headset on in an actual game. Until then, I’m betting we’ll f*ck that up spectacularly, in trademark Texas fashion, and end up rolling the dice with yet another guy who hasn’t done much.

And now, back to looking for guns in Germany and Switzerland and doing my best to ignore this runaway clown car of a football program...

If we lose to a team this weekend that has only been able to practice a little while we wear throw back NC uniforms...........does that get him his walking papers????

I'm not understanding why Herman would get fired with such a winning record under his belt. Honestly, I'll be very surprised if Herman is replaced after this season. I'm just not understanding.....

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT