ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Kyler Murray and more...)

10 days feels like an eternity. Gimmie Warren over Brossette all day long. His dad was a baller, I remember watching him back in the day. Liked those a Seattle teams a lot.

movies and the oscars, here are my thoughts.

I've never been one to watch all the nominated films, never been one to watch many movies in general. Usually don't have the time or the attention span. I've been dating a girl that has completely changed this part of my life. She's an aspiring screen writer and is currently doing some acting in some minor films. Her explanations about directing, acting and cinematography have really changed the way I view films.

So far, I have seen Birdman, the Grand Budapest Hotel, the Immitation Game, Gone Girl and Selma; she's ahead of me and has knocked out Boyhood and the Theory of Everything. We are going to see American Sniper and Whiplash in the next two weeks. I've loved all five that I've seen so far, they're great in their own ways. For me personally the Grand Budapest Hotel is easily my favorite. I don't think that means it's best but it would get my vote. My reasoning is simple, it's the only one that I want to watch another 10 times. I would watch Birdman and the Immitation game one more time each because they were enjoyable and there are undoubtably details I missed on the first go round. Selma, it was great but I'll never watch it again, some movies are just that way. Gone Girl, I don't know if I'll see that one again or not, great movie, but man it was f'd up. For what it's worth, the my girlfriend is all in on Boyhood with Birdman as her runner up.

Wu-Tang, love it, those guys are fantastic.

This post was edited on 1/25 11:59 PM by wgarnot

This reminds me of the days before the internet when we relied on newsletters (mailed) and the newspaper to find out the latest on who is choosing what school when it went down to the wire. Lots of apprehension and anxiety to see if the bluest of blue chips choose UT. With the Mack Brown early commitment program a lot of that end-of-recruiting suspense went away.

My problem is I am older now and not sure I can take it.
wink.r191677.gif

Very very surprised you have not seen Imitation Game. This is a top 3 movie of the year with best actor on the line for Cumberbatch. You are missing out big time.

I easily could vote for Birdman, Sniper or Imitation Game as best pic. Sorry, was bored watching Boyhood. Amazing job on the moviemaking but not a best picture. Birdman is the most innovative way to tell a story I have seen in any movie. Sniper was one of my favorite military movies of all time not because of the violence but because of the emotional connection I got out of it. Imitation Game is an all around great movie as well.

How does anyone even start a conversation about what will happen over the next week or so in recruiting. Bottom line is its high stakes poker and one team is going to come out as the loser and one the winner. I know CS will outwork any Aggie. I also have to know parents will want their kids to lean in to UT and our coaches versus all the bs that comes out of Aggie and look at how Johnny turned out…

Nice 10 Thoughts this week!

Ketch I highly question your 2002 vs 2015 comparisons.

Are you sure you aren't being a bit biased based on 2002 actual college results?

There is simply no possible way on earth 2002 LBs are a push with 2015. We haven't had a possible incoming LB class like this EVER at Texas have we? 2002 3 4*s and 2 3*s. 2015 has already 1 5*, 2 4*s just in the main 3.

Heck, Im not sure that 2002 VY in the spring of 2002 is more than a push with 2015 spring Murray, Locksley and Merrick. The chances of success with a QB coming out of HS is what, 60%? So a QB class of 2 very highly nationally rated 4's has to be better or at least equal to one 5*, right?

Even TE seems like a push, Dave was a 4*, Clarington is a 4* (with probably a higher upside than Dave even if more risky) so not sure where the 2002 advantage comes from.

All of this changes if you take into account their college careers but that is just silly considering you have no idea what 2015 will do.

i like your thoughts on the 02v05 matchup, except for VY. there aren't enough stars in the sky to put next to Black Jesus' name.

02 should win the comparison based on VY alone.

Originally posted by Ketchum

f. There's a lot of tension in College Station right now, so be prepared to hear anything and everything from the emotional information spouts that exist. Part of the A&M plan in the next week might be to start a propaganda program aimed at trying to convince the recruits in play that momentum is in its favor. Just keep in mind the meltdown that occurred just a few days ago, the immediate unproven claims that followed and the complete 180-degree recovery story that is now being sold.

This post was edited on 1/25 8:57 PM by Ketchum
Hmmm, this almost reads like the perfect setup for one of those clever "What Hitler Thinks" spoof videos... Would love for one of the clever and slightly devious minds on OBs to take a stab... Hook'em

Originally posted by BrokenGlassRepublican:
Re: Gone Girl...OMFG what a great movie. A mind fvck of the highest order.

Posted from Rivals Mobile
or a meh film with poor acting and a ridiculous plot fit for a Lifetime TV movie.

"Preposterous, illogical, senselessly over-plotted and artificial as a ceramic artichoke, David Fincher's Gone Girl is
another splatterfest disguised as a psychological thriller about the
disintegration of a murderous marriage that I find one of the year's
grossest disappointments." #9 Worst Film of the Year - Rex Reed

Rex Reed Knows Movies

Originally posted by Dupril4real22:
If Murray decides to stay aggy then there won't be a press conference, would just comment through media outlets.
More importantly, if Murray decides to NOT sign with aggy then we should hear of his decommit soon. I don't think he is going to pull a Perrilloux.

Originally posted by SkullSplitter:

Summed up nicely, Ketch. A few thoughts:

1.) I'm loving the confidence on Kyle & Co., as I've been convinced we have good reason to be optimistic. That summer draft still makes me nervous, though.

2.) Strong recap on Gentry; I didn't know about his relationship with Locksley. I agree that he made the best choice for his future, and I wish him the best.

3.) With one of the most talented teams he's ever had, Barnes is flat-out blowing it as usual. There is simply no excuse for Texas not playing to its strengths in the post against smaller-than-usual Kansas, especially when you have a guy like Holmes matched up with a player like Greene. Rick's out of excuses; he has to go.

4.) "Deflate-gate" is one of the most overblown "controversies" I've ever seen: Goodell & Co. have been covering for players allegedly involved in murder, rape, and all other manner of assault...but by Holy God in Heaven, this simply cannot stand. Never mind the complete lack of proof that Brady or Belichick were involved in this, of course; we gotta juice all the ratings! BTW, I'm still waiting to see what the exact pressure numbers were on balls from both sides, both before and during the game.

I have a feeling that Brady's going to go on a tear in the Super Bowl...and after all this nonsense, I wouldn't mind seeing it.

5.) I still haven't seen Birdman, and I'll be seeing American Sniper next weekend. But Boyhood would top the list for me right now. Whiplash's ending was incredible, and Gone Girl was solid. I'm not hearing a lot of talk about certain candidates being locks for the top awards; have you heard any differently?

6.) That being said, I'm having a hard time seeing how Linklater doesn't win Best Director.
Good stuff.

1. I totally agree on the Draft. Hell of a thing to win the battle and lose the quarterback war in the summer. That's why Locksley is so important.

3. I'm a Rick fan, but I agree. This isn't an opinion formed off of one season. This is more than a half-decade of meh.

4. History suggests Seattle will tame Brady.

5. Birdman is a hell of a good time, but Boyhood is a special, special movie. It's the favorite going into the Big Dance. Same with Linklater.

Originally posted by 2football:
Originally posted by Prosperity:

TE- Is Beck the penciled in starter? I thought Blake Whiteley was turning heads.

Ketchum posted on 1/25/2015...

Beck is the starter going into the spring at this point.

According to who or based on what ?
I can't tell you how I know that, but trust me, I have it on good authority.

This post was edited on 1/26 5:40 AM by Ketchum

Originally posted by MDHornfan:
Originally posted by Broken...blican:
Re: Gone Girl...OMFG what a great movie. A mind fvck of the highest order.

Watched it last night. Same thoughts
My girlfriend made me go see it and I loved the movie. However I do watch my girlfriend more carefully now that lady was crazy as hell.

Originally posted by rangers71:
How much of the remaining secrecy could simply be waiting on the in home visit with Sumlin? That way, Kyler can look him in the eye and tell him he is flipping? Make sense? Or wishful thinking?
Sure it makes sense, but I haven't heard that.

Originally posted by Hook'em34:
Likely wishful thinking. I think he's likely an ATM lean still at this point, but Strong and Texas have given him a lot to think about over the next week or so.
"likely", huh?

Originally posted by erac77:
I question your predictions because you are basically predicting Charlie throws a perfect game. Things sound good but hitting on all those guys has to be a longshot.
Not if they get Murray, which I a projecting at this moment that they will.

Who is the long-shot?

Originally posted by Hook'em34:
It's an absolute long shot. People are getting caught up in the moment and getting carried away right now I think.
Use THIS subscription more and less of those others I'm guessing you own...

Originally posted by Ron Mexico12:
Does Little no-showing A&M's junior day today after he was supposed to be in give any indications or just coincidence?
Rule No.2

There are seldom, if ever, any accidents.

Originally posted by wgarnot:
movies and the oscars, here are my thoughts.

I've never been one to watch all the nominated films, never been one to watch many movies in general. Usually don't have the time or the attention span. I've been dating a girl that has completely changed this part of my life. She's an aspiring screen writer and is currently doing some acting in some minor films. Her explanations about directing, acting and cinematography have really changed the way I view films.

So far, I have seen Birdman, the Grand Budapest Hotel, the Immitation Game, Gone Girl and Selma; she's ahead of me and has knocked out Boyhood and the Theory of Everything. We are going to see American Sniper and Whiplash in the next two weeks. I've loved all five that I've seen so far, they're great in their own ways. For me personally the Grand Budapest Hotel is easily my favorite. I don't think that means it's best but it would get my vote. My reasoning is simple, it's the only one that I want to watch another 10 times. I would watch Birdman and the Immitation game one more time each because they were enjoyable and there are undoubtably details I missed on the first go round. Selma, it was great but I'll never watch it again, some movies are just that way. Gone Girl, I don't know if I'll see that one again or not, great movie, but man it was f'd up. For what it's worth, the my girlfriend is all in on Boyhood with Birdman as her runner up.

Wu-Tang, love it, those guys are fantastic.

This post was edited on 1/25 11:59 PM by wgarnot

Your GF sounds like a keeper, but what is this, Vietnam?
wink.r191677.gif

Seriously, Boyhood is amazing.

p.s. One of my nerdy things is collecting all Oscar nominated movies.... ever. They have their own cataloging.

Originally posted by Ketchum:
Originally posted by Ron Mexico12:
Does Little no-showing A&M's junior day today after he was supposed to be in give any indications or just coincidence?
Rule No.2

There are seldom, if ever, any accidents.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I definitely took that as a clue.

Ketch - can you remember a situation where six of the best high school players at their position in the state were were ceding their decisions to another player?

Originally posted by jspirohorn:
Ketch - can you remember a situation where six of the best high school players at their position in the state were were ceding their decisions to another player?
It's always been true that the best players wanted to play with other great players. What's different here is how the process is unfolding.

Originally posted by MauiHorn:
Very very surprised you have not seen Imitation Game. This is a top 3 movie of the year with best actor on the line for Cumberbatch. You are missing out big time.
It will get done. Probably this week.

Originally posted by chastok:
Ketch I highly question your 2002 vs 2015 comparisons.

Are you sure you aren't being a bit biased based on 2002 actual college results?

There is simply no possible way on earth 2002 LBs are a push with 2015. We haven't had a possible incoming LB class like this EVER at Texas have we? 2002 3 4*s and 2 3*s. 2015 has already 1 5*, 2 4*s just in the main 3.

Heck, Im not sure that 2002 VY in the spring of 2002 is more than a push with 2015 spring Murray, Locksley and Merrick. The chances of success with a QB coming out of HS is what, 60%? So a QB class of 2 very highly nationally rated 4's has to be better or at least equal to one 5*, right?

Even TE seems like a push, Dave was a 4*, Clarington is a 4* (with probably a higher upside than Dave even if more risky) so not sure where the 2002 advantage comes from.

All of this changes if you take into account their college careers but that is just silly considering you have no idea what 2015 will do.
a. Mike Williams, Garnet Smith and Aaron Harris were huge recruits back in 2002, as Williams and Harris were Top 10-ish prospects in my rankings. That doesn't even include Robison, who I badly misjudged coming out of HS. It's close, but that 2002 group was sick.

b. Stop. VY was on another level I'll take the greatest HS player I have ever seen over two really, really good prospects and a developmental gray-shirt.

c. Thomas was a hoss an a guy I rated higher than I rate Clarington.

Only thing silly is suggesting anything other than VY was the correct answer at qb. The other two are close, although Thomas was an easy call for me.

Originally posted by HookemUK:

Originally posted by Ketchum

f. There's a lot of tension in College Station right now, so be prepared to hear anything and everything from the emotional information spouts that exist. Part of the A&M plan in the next week might be to start a propaganda program aimed at trying to convince the recruits in play that momentum is in its favor. Just keep in mind the meltdown that occurred just a few days ago, the immediate unproven claims that followed and the complete 180-degree recovery story that is now being sold.

This post was edited on 1/25 8:57 PM by Ketchum
Hmmm, this almost reads like the perfect setup for one of those clever "What Hitler Thinks" spoof videos... Would love for one of the clever and slightly devious minds on OBs to take a stab... Hook'em
No doubt this will happen if Texas closes the deal.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT